PDA

View Full Version : Joe McConnell Interview

Lip Man 1
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Folks:

Normally I'd tease the interview a tad here but I'm under the gun today. Have to finish packing and get ready for an upcoming road trip to Sacramento and Flagstaff, Az.

Joe McConnell really is one of the better announcers of the past few generations only he hasn'r gotten the recognition that perhaps he should be getting. He's the latest interview at WSI and I hope you'll enjoy his thoughts!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3734

Lip

Lip Man 1
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
A testimony to Joe's ability:

Lip-----great stuff... Joe just oozed talent.... in his prime, he was damn near without peer. Christ, he could read a Staten Island phone book and make it sound like the home stretch of the Kentucky Derby.

He had just one issue. He wouldn't or couldn't play the game.....cozy up to sponsors, investors, things like that.

Look at a stiff like Joe Buck, and tell me Joe Mac doesn't chew him up and spit out the pieces....

Chet Coppock

jamokes
02-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Lip.......as usual, great article!!

Frater Perdurabo
02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Another fantastic article. Thank you, Lip!

kba
02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Joe was one of my favorite Sox announcers ... and he's proof that an announcer can make a broadcast entertaining and exciting without allowing his own ego to get bigger than the game.

Maybe that's why Harry had such a problem with him. Other than Piersall and Stone, did Harry have a sidekick in Chicago he got along with?

Lip Man 1
02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Good question.

Lip

gobears1987
02-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I love the article. We are really lucky to have him here in West Lafayette on Saturdays during the fall.

Noneck
02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Lip, You did another beauty.

I appears that Joe and Harry didn't really get along but it sounds as though it had something to do with Harry's arrogance.

McConnell was a pro but I see he wasn't a butt kisser either. I bet a comment like this was remembered when contract renewal came around.

JMC: I thought in the early years they did a marvelous job. I had no problem with them as owners although to this day I remember watching the Sox take batting practice behind home plate with Jerry and looking over and telling him if he understood what the cost of winning would be. The Sox were going to win the division in 1983 and the players were expecting to be rewarded financially in 1984.

I always liked McConnell but now a little bit more.

Thanks Lip.

Brian26
02-23-2009, 09:07 PM
A testimony to Joe's ability:

Lip-----great stuff... Joe just oozed talent.... in his prime, he was damn near without peer. Christ, he could read a Staten Island phone book and make it sound like the home stretch of the Kentucky Derby.

He had just one issue. He wouldn't or couldn't play the game.....cozy up to sponsors, investors, things like that.

Look at a stiff like Joe Buck, and tell me Joe Mac doesn't chew him up and spit out the pieces....

Chet Coppock

It's only fitting that Coppock types in 4-point Arial bold font.

slavko
02-23-2009, 09:45 PM
This was the one I was hoping and waiting for and it did not disappoint. He was my favorite Sox announcer ever and great with the Bears as well.

Didn't he used to be a heavy smoker? If so, I hope he has quit. Interesting to finally find out how he disappeared from the Chicago scene all at once.

Great work as always, Lip.

PalehosePlanet
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
This was the one I was hoping and waiting for and it did not disappoint. He was my favorite Sox announcer ever and great with the Bears as well.

Didn't he used to be a heavy smoker? If so, I hope he has quit. Interesting to finally find out how he disappeared from the Chicago scene all at once.

Great work as always, Lip.

I read somewhere once that he was known as "Smokey" Joe McConnell and that he smoked five packs a day.

He was also my favorite Sox announcer.

soxinem1
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
This past weekend MLB Network replayed Opening Day 1981.

White Sox vs. Red Sox, in Fenway, Fisk's first game in a White Sox uniform.

What a treat!!

Britt Burns vs. Dennis Eckersley. Gloves were a poppin that day!!!

Harry called the game and was excellent. Clear, concise, direct. As good as he was ever in his pre-stroke days (at least before he had a few).

Then in the middle innings, Joe McConnell came in and was great as well.

He was always my favorite Sox radio announcer. Like a previous post alluded, he could read a restaurant menu and make you hungry it sounded so good!!!

Jim Shorts
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
It's only fitting that Coppock types in 4-point Arial bold font.

LMAO

:rolling:

Railsplitter
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Great atricle. I've always ejoyed the radio call of Willie Brown's 75 yard pick six Super Bowl XI. NFL films puts McConnel's call from Fran Tarkenton's pass and cuts to Bill Kin's call from the Raider's radio netowkr when it become apparent brown will score.

Sox Supporter
02-25-2009, 10:05 AM
I concur about Joe and his "great set of pipes".

And for you young White Sox fans that never heard Early Wynn in the broadcast booth, count your lucky stars. If he wasn't the worst radio broadcaster (color man) in the history of baseball, who was? Early made Chris Singleton sound like Vin Scully.

Soxfest
02-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Kudos enjoyed it Joe was very good IMO!

Save McCuddy's
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Sure wish Joe would have gotten a call to team up with Farmer.