PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bit about baseball in Europe

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
The Indians just signed a 16 year old catcher from Prague. The scout who signed him says that a lot of MLB scouts are looking at amateur players in Europe. I know in that movie the "Emerald Diamond" there was another catcher from Ireland who some people speculated could be major (well, probably minor league) talent. Still, this signing along with the Pirates prospects from India suggests at the very least that the game might be expanding all be it considerably slower than basketball or even football, but it's always cool to see the game expand.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090221&content_id=3860342&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

Corlose 15
02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
The Indians just signed a 16 year old catcher from Prague. The scout who signed him says that a lot of MLB scouts are looking at amateur players in Europe. I know in that movie the "Emerald Diamond" there was another catcher from Ireland who some people speculated could be major (well, probably minor league) talent. Still, this signing along with the Pirates prospects from India suggests at the very least that the game might be expanding all be it considerably slower than basketball or even football, but it's always cool to see the game expand.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090221&content_id=3860342&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

NFL Europe aside, baseball is much more of a global game than football. Name a country where American football is even played outside North America.

guillensdisciple
02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I actually plan to move to Ireland and start up a baseball academy there. Interest will be low, I am sure of that, but what better place to introduce a sport that has no idea about a sport?

FedEx227
02-22-2009, 08:08 PM
NFL Europe aside, baseball is much more of a global game than football. Name a country where American football is even played outside North America.

NFL Europe is no more.

And that lends even more evidence to your point.

TDog
02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I actually plan to move to Ireland and start up a baseball academy there. Interest will be low, I am sure of that, but what better place to introduce a sport that has no idea about a sport?

I love Ireland and wish you luck. Ireland is unique, though, because while football (soccer) is hugely popular, hurling is a sport of national identity.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I love Ireland and wish you luck. Ireland is unique, though, because while football (soccer) is hugely popular, hurling is a sport of national identity.
Those GAA sports are bigger than soccer over there. Also, I'm unaware of what baseball is like around the rest of Europe but I've thought about moving over there and have taken a look at the baseball scene and there are something like eight teams over there in an organized league, their national team is one of the better ones in Europe (I think) and they have some coverage on their news (judging from the movie the Emeral Diamond!).

HomeFish
02-22-2009, 10:24 PM
The national sport of Finland is a variant of baseball:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesapallo

voodoochile
02-22-2009, 11:47 PM

Actually, It was an Irishman who first codified the rules of baseball in written form. So I don't think they'll be as surprised by the game as you think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

EnglishChiSox
02-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Those GAA sports are bigger than soccer over there. Also, I'm unaware of what baseball is like around the rest of Europe but I've thought about moving over there and have taken a look at the baseball scene and there are something like eight teams over there in an organized league, their national team is one of the better ones in Europe (I think) and they have some coverage on their news (judging from the movie the Emeral Diamond!).

Spain, The Netherlands and Italy are probably the 3 best teams in Europe, Great Britain did well in the last Euro Baseball Championships. There are a few good leagues in Europe, Spain especially, and there is a Champions League of Baseball which is quite competitive.... but if MLB wants Central European or even Western Europeans to get into the Majors then more investment would be needed, Now as this article states if they want scouted youth to get proper a proper baseball education they need to go to Academies in Australia or the US which is a big emotional investment on the part of the players to leave families etc. Phil Stockman who is a pitcher who spent time with the Braves last season, born in Lancashire but went to school in Australia and came through the baseball system there so probably doesn't count as a European product.

NFL Europe was slightly different to this, lots of Americans looking for experience etc. Not really used to scout locals and getting them in the NFL.

guillensdisciple
02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Actually, It was an Irishman who first codified the rules of baseball in written form. So I don't think they'll be as surprised by the game as you think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

Yep, I kind of feel stupid for not researching this before writing it down or thinking about it. There is baseball in Ireland, and it is fairly successful. Either way, I would love to open something over there, and create/ manage my own teams- Ireland has the perfect conditions for baseball, as well as great people to share the game with.

When I first thought of this, I was thinking of going to my hometown in Minsk, Belarus. They have very small to no appreciation of the game of baseball, but there are too many issues in that country to even bother with something of the sort, and people are too in the dumps to consider it. Selling baseball would be difficult. My other hometown in Cuba definitely won't work because, well, I don't have to explain that to you guys.