02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/

BleacherBandit
02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
:o:

NO!

soxinem1
02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Who would have thought that after Crede hit that GS against the Twins early last year that he would end up on their team this year?

DSpivack
02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Say it ain't so, Joe!

HomeFish
02-20-2009, 10:38 PM
For many Sox fans, it will make them feel less guilty about disliking Crede.

SoxSpeed22
02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Damn it. We'll see if he holds up with all of his back problems.

cleanwsox
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
****!

ChiSoxGirl
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
It was also reported as being a done deal by Giangreco on Channel 7. Oh God, I think I'm going to be sick.... :angry:

This has got Borass's name written all over it.

DSpivack
02-20-2009, 11:31 PM
It was also reported as being a done deal by Giangreco on Channel 7. Oh God, I think I'm going to be sick.... :angry:

This has got Borass's name written all over it.

Giangreco reporting on the Twins? There's a match made in Hell.

PalehosePlanet
02-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Who would have thought that after Crede hit that GS against the Twins early last year that he would end up on their team this year?

Yeah, he was definitely a twins-killer.

Hopefully he'll still be one.

BigP50
02-20-2009, 11:34 PM
man Joe be tweakin! The Twins, u serious!!!

Ziggy S
02-20-2009, 11:38 PM
There's a lot of freaking out about a guy with back trouble who didn't even play 162 games in the last two seasons. Wow, this is hilarious. But, seriously I'm not laughing at you guys.

skobabe8
02-20-2009, 11:40 PM
For many Sox fans, it will make them feel less guilty about disliking Crede.

'Many?' What are you talking about??.....Oh wait....It's HomeFish. :rolleyes:

doublem23
02-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I hope Joe has a great season for the Twins. I also hope he finishes in dead last.

:whiner:

doublem23
02-20-2009, 11:41 PM
'Many?' What are you talking about??.....Oh wait....It's HomeFish. :rolleyes:

I have no idea how any Sox fan can rightfully dislike the guy. As if he chose to have his serious back problems. Yeah, the divorce got a little messy, but they always do.

This is the image I'll always remember of Crede:
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/joecrede.jpg

DumpJerry
02-20-2009, 11:43 PM
His back won't last on that turf.

Britt Burns
02-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Wow, that's a surprise. I wish Joe the best...and his team the worst.

ChiSoxGirl
02-20-2009, 11:45 PM

I don't think so, either, but that doesn't make the image of him in a Twins uniform any easier to swallow. :mad:

Corlose 15
02-20-2009, 11:50 PM

For sure. I hate to say it, but I think Joe is about done.

october23sp
02-20-2009, 11:54 PM
And again I hate him. Hated him after a dropped foul ball against the Red Sox in my first game at the Cell. Then loved him for his heroics in 05. Now I hate him again.

MUsoxfan
02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
If he plays 50 games I'd be surprised.

skobabe8
02-21-2009, 12:02 AM
And again I hate him. Hated him after a dropped foul ball against the Red Sox in my first game at the Cell. Then loved him for his heroics in 05. Now I hate him again.

Well obviously you'll boo him when he comes here. Any other dumbasses care to admit they will boo Joe?

october23sp
02-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Well obviously you'll boo him when he comes here. Any other dumbasses care to admit they will boo Joe?

I'll boo him when he goes to the Dump this summer. Its the Twins man.

sas1974
02-21-2009, 12:09 AM

I certainly hope there isn't sea of hands going up in response to your question. While I disagree with his choice in agents, it's not like our management wanted him back. He certainly didn't have a ton of options out there. People better ask themselves what they'd do when considering to boo Joe upon his return. I, for one, will be standing and clapping.

skobabe8
02-21-2009, 12:12 AM
I'll boo him when he goes to the Dump this summer. Its the Twins man.

You'll boo him from your living room? I don't really care about that.

Or are you saying you will go to the Dump just to boo him?

SOXfnNlansing
02-21-2009, 12:14 AM
We play the twins the first weekend of the season. I'll be there Sat and Sunday. Kind of curious on how fan reaction will be.

skobabe8
02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
We play the twins the first weekend of the season. I'll be there Sat and Sunday. Kind of curious on how fan reaction will be.

I have little doubt people will boo. Unfortunately. Why do people boo Jeter? No reason. People will boo Crede.

hi im skot
02-21-2009, 12:17 AM
I have little doubt people will boo. Unfortunately. Why do people boo Jeter? No reason. People will boo Crede.

And both of those groups of people should be embarrassed.

skobabe8
02-21-2009, 12:18 AM
And both of those groups of people should be embarrassed.

Word.

MUsoxfan
02-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I won't boo him. I'll be fairly indifferent. He's been pretty much a non-factor for quite some time now

Dat Funky Motion
02-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Joe is a flyball pull hitter. That park is made for people that hit it on the ground or right field. Joe has pulled most of his HR. All of them in the last 2 years.

Domeshot17
02-21-2009, 12:32 AM
I am not a huge Crede fan so I love this. The guy lost me when he came out and said if Boras prevented him from staying in Chicago he would fire him. He played the say the right thing game very well for a few years and then showed his true colors. I am glad he ultimately screwed himself by refusing to talk long term deal and it ended up biting him (and no I am not saying I am glad he got hurt, just that we tried to do the right thing, he and Boras refused and it got him the deal he has now). As a defensive 3b he was great, but he will forever be in the Aaron Rowand and Jon Garland terrority as a guy who had 1-2 very good years here and will be immortalized for the world series run. We don't win it without him, no chance, but I feel no sympathy for the guy.

This is great for Sox fans. His back is going to be a mess on the turf, he doesn't fit the Twins style of offense so he is going to be a chink in their armor (the twins play that high speed and contact game, use their field, have guys like Morneau and Mauer in the middle. Crede plays a low contact high K all or nothing hitter game) and while he will shore up D on the turf at 3rd, his back has already proven he will never be close to the amazing 3b he was for a few years. I fully expect Josh Fields to have a better year then Joe Crede in 2009.

SoxFan1979
02-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Word is Crede has agreed to terms to play for the twinks.

Bucky F. Dent
02-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Oh, no!

NLaloosh
02-21-2009, 12:50 AM
I liked Joe Crede on the Sox but due to his back injuries he was never all that great.

I'm not glad to see him on the Twins but I would be shocked if he played 140 games.

The fact that Borass was his agent always bothered me about him and prevented me from really warming to him as a favorite player.

I won't boo him but I rarely boo at ball games.

He probably will help the Twins some as will the signing of Juan Cruz - if it happens. It's these kinds of small but mildly significant signings that the Twins are known for that are starting to worry me about competing against them in 2009. They are a sneakily frugal franchise that manages to get the job done.

chisoxfanatic
02-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Those two guys are in two totally different situations now. Jeter's never played for a team other than the Yankees, meanwhile Crede's going to one of our most hated rivals. Even though I will be one of the ones cheering for Crede his first game back (happens to be on our plan, skobabe), I wouldn't be surprised if the boos are loud enough to be heard around the ballpark considering who he signed with. We'll just have to offset that by cheering louder for him, and hope he doesn't do the same thing Frank did afterwards.

Irishsox1
02-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Boras was his agent so I always held back. Saying that, he was great in the ALCS and WS and as a Sox fan I won't forget that. However, I root for the Southside Chicago team and anybody on a different team is now an enemy. I'll treat him the same way I treat all the ex-Sox players, I applaud the first at bat back then I turn my back on them, without booing. The only guy I've ever booed is Sosa.

Cuck the Fubs
02-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Not happy to see Joe up there....but oh well...life goes on

oeo
02-21-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm a little surprised at some of the opinions here. Crede deserves his thank you when he comes to town, and while earlier I thought he would get it, I'm not so sure anymore. Just stand and cheer for the guy one last time because without him, we're still waiting for a title.

Dibbs
02-21-2009, 01:27 AM
I was never a huge Joe Crede fan. I think he was more overrated than Rowand. Too bad he had to go to the Twins though.

october23sp
02-21-2009, 01:45 AM
You'll boo him from your living room? I don't really care about that.

Or are you saying you will go to the Dump just to boo him?

I'm saying the Dump is closer to my home then the Cell.:redneck I plan on booing him when I go to that series.

Vernam
02-21-2009, 01:57 AM
And both of those groups of people [who'd boo Jeter or Crede] should be embarrassed.Yep, like the Cleveland yahoos who boo Thome, though he'll go into the HoF wearing their cap.

Nobody sitting near me better boo Crede.

Vernam

MHOUSE
02-21-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't think Crede will ever ever top his 2005-2006 production and to be honest, the way he finished out the last two years, I doubt he makes much of a contribution. The guy was always a gamer/grinder and if he couldn't go out there, he must have been hurt real bad. If somehow Joe can succeed and the Twins lose, then I'm ok with it. I hope that he gets a tremendous standing ovation from the crowd at The Cell his first trip back. Anyone who boos Crede shouldn't call themselves a Sox fan, I'm sorry.

Soxman219
02-21-2009, 02:05 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:: angry::angry::angry:.

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2009, 02:18 AM
man Joe be tweakin! The Twins, u serious!!!Just stop it. You live in Glen Ellyn.

thomas35forever
02-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Why do I have a feeling he's going to hit .470 with 8 homers and 23 RBIs against this year?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Good luck, Joe.

I truthfully don't think he'll hurt us as much as you guys think. And not to be mean, but I hope he HURTS (physically) right before Sox/Twins series start and feels just fine right after they end.

Either way, we'll miss you. But the Twins didn't improve all that much with this move.

And on a side note, he's going to look hideous in any Twins uniform.

soulfly
02-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Crede was easily my favorite player on the Sox.

I told myself, I don't care where he goes, as long as it's not the Twins. That if he signed with the Twins, time to take crede off the back of my 24 jersey.

I hate the Twins more than all the other teams in baseball combined.

It actually hurts to know he's going to be playing for the junk team.

If I'm at his first game here, I'll do what I did for Big Frank. I'll cheer his first at bat. Hell, I cheered for Big Franks Homer like he was still playing for the Sox. After that first at bat, Crede is getting booed like anyone else.

As some others said, he always said the right thing at the right time. But really he showed his true colors these past few seasons with sticking with borass. I think differently of him on that level with the way he conducted himself with the Sox towards the end of last year. The respect wasn't given back to the club, nor the fans. So I don't really think you can compare Sox fans booing him to the idiots that boo Thome when he goes back to Cleveland.

whitesox901
02-21-2009, 02:52 AM
say it ain't so Joe :whiner:

hawkjt
02-21-2009, 03:48 AM
Joe was one of my favorite players on the 05 team and I was always defending him before and after that season on here.
This hurts. As was said above...anybody but the Twins, I could live with it. I wish him no ill, but I do not want him to be good for the Twins.
I would never boo him,unless he did something that warranted it on the field or rips on the sox off the field which I do not expect.

Cheer him his first at bat in Soxpark and then he becomes the enemy but not someone I would boo.

chisoxflafan
02-21-2009, 03:50 AM
I try to avoid seeing the Twins in spring training but I might make an exception just to see Joe.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2009, 05:56 AM
It was going to be hard enough to see him in another uniform this year, but seeing him in a Twins uniform is just too much to bear.

I'd be stunned if he plays more than 120 games this year, and I am also willing to bet that in a few years he'll look back and say "I really should have taken that long term offer from the Sox back in '06..." I'd be willing to bet that he is out of baseball in 2010.

raven1
02-21-2009, 07:39 AM
With his back injury his career is almost finished, so I won't begrudge him cashing in one last time. He won't last long playing on the carpet in Minnesota but I rather he take the Twins money sitting on the DL than the White Sox. Assuming he makes it through spring training I expect to see him play in person for the last time on opening weekend in April. I give him a 50-50 chance of still being in the lineup for the May series, and slim-to-none of still being able to play in September.

WhiteSox1989
02-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I was hoping he'd sign with the Giants. But oh well.

Like many others said, I wish Joe all the best, but I hope his team finishes in dead last.

ma-gaga
02-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Crede, WhiteSox Fans = Pierzynski, Twins fans.

It's not quite right. Twins fans *knew* AJ was a prick, but he was OUR prick... I don't think Crede ever attained anywhere near that reputation of being a "jerk" with the White Sox. However, I haven't been closely following the contract negotiation, and I learned long ago that agents, money, and public negotiations, can ruin a fans relationship with a player.

Oh well, I like the signing. :cool:

WhiteSox1989
02-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't think Joe Crede will ever be looked as an ******* by White Sox fans, I mean at least not by me.

It's just this past season and all that went on with Boras makes a lot of people forget what a good guy he is.

longtimesoxguy
02-21-2009, 10:06 AM
This is sad. it never should have gotten to this. Shame on both sides. Joe should of worked things better and so should of the Sox. IMHO

TaylorStSox
02-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm still not removing my sig since it was one of the most ridiculous statements ever typed into this forum. I wish Joe luck. He was my favorite White Sox for a long time. He may not fit into their system, but he has a remarkable nack for making big plays, offensively and defensively.

The Dude
02-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Yeah I bet ChiSoxMike has been waiting for this chance as well! I think it will be very shameful if he is booed at the Cell on his first game back.

Trav
02-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Hopefully we won't miss his stellar defense. With possibly four young guys in the rotation Joe will be missed on every ball Fields cannot get to. Joe made great plays look routine. RIP Joe Crede

thedudeabides
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Anybody hear any $ figures?

skobabe8
02-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah I bet ChiSoxMike has been waiting for this chance as well! I think it will be very shameful if he is booed at the Cell on his first game back.

At least Mike is funny when he boos someone.

Oblong
02-21-2009, 12:20 PM
I always had a healthy respect for Crede when he was with the Sox. He was a Tiger killer. But now that he's on the Twins? I think it's a moral obligation to hate everybody on that team.

I wonder if the feeling is a bit like it was for many Tiger fans in 1987 when Lance Parrish signed with the Phillies. He was beloved but there were contract/collusion issues and he really had no choice but to go elsewhere. At the time I was upset but looking back he had to do it. Obviously it was a different league so we didn't see him. I don't expect the Twins to compete so I don't think this will really hurt you guys. If anything it'll be good for you to see him the 19 or so times a year.

Rohan
02-21-2009, 12:23 PM
This hurts. I wish him the best. But his team the worst.

ode to veeck
02-21-2009, 12:33 PM
bummer I was hoing the Giants would bite then I'd make the trip to PacBell Yuppie Park to see him a few times .... going to the Twins pretty much sucks, especially if Crede's back recovers

oeo
02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Anybody hear any $ figures?

Guarantees him $2.5 million, with incentives for up to $7 million.

JGarlandrules20
02-21-2009, 12:44 PM
The Twins are supposed to officially announce this at 3. (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/40025852.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqPk4DyCc75DiUiD3aPc: _Yyc:aUHDYaGEP7eyckcUs)

Some of you are acting like Crede personally sought after the Twins to sign him. He's not spiting the Sox, it's all business. The Twins are the best fit, and they have the most money to gamble on him.

It's going to sting a bit to see him in that uniform, but I sincerely hope he stays healthy.

thedudeabides
02-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Guarantees him $2.5 million, with incentives for up to $7 million.

Thanks

palehozenychicty
02-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I respect what Crede did for the Sox and he came up with some big plays throughout his time, but he never really became what was projected. Injuries finally brought him down, but I remember a lot of hand-wringing about Crede early on in his career. If he didn't come through late in 2005, I doubt people would be this conflicted about it.

That being said, I don't think he'll last that long up in the Dome.

DumpJerry
02-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Hey Twins: keep the Cortisone handy.

itsnotrequired
02-21-2009, 01:40 PM
i'm gonna boo thome, just to shake things up a bit

rowand33
02-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Crede is going to destroy us this year.

hawkjt
02-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Crede is going to destroy us this year.

Sorry, I love Joe, but I hope he has his ''long'' swing this year.
God forbid he has his ''short '' swing vs the Sox this year.:o:

Woofer
02-21-2009, 02:45 PM
If he's healthy, I think that Joe is going to be a Sox killer. I don't think that his back will allow him to be that much of a factor though. He will always be remembered as a key member of the 2005 Sox, I wish nothing but the best for him. I also wish nothing but misery for his new team.

DumpJerry
02-21-2009, 02:47 PM
If he's healthy, I think that Joe is going to be a Sox killer. I don't think that his back will allow him to be that much of a factor though. He will always be remembered as a key member of the 2005 Sox, I wish nothing but the best for him. I also wish nothing but misery for his new team.
Sciatica does not go away. He won't ever be healthy enough to contribute meaningfully as a player over the course of an entire season. Why do you think this is his third one-year deal in a row when he is at an age where multi-year deals are the rule and not the exception?

KenBerryGrab
02-21-2009, 03:11 PM
This is the worse case scenario.

Tell me you can't picture it coming down to 163 again, Crede steps to the plate in a tie game in the eighth...

Woofer
02-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Sciatica does not go away. He won't ever be healthy enough to contribute meaningfully as a player over the course of an entire season. Why do you think this is his third one-year deal in a row when he is at an age where multi-year deals are the rule and not the exception?

Right. That's why I said that his back will not let him be that much of a factor. This could be Credes last season. If he has problems with it again this year, nobody will take a chance on him.

itsnotrequired
02-21-2009, 03:14 PM
At least Mike is funny when he boos someone.

discussing banned posters? see u in a week.

/dustbowl mod

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 03:20 PM
This is the worse case scenario.

Tell me you can't picture it coming down to 163 again, Crede steps to the plate in a tie game in the eighth...
...and pops up to the infield on the first pitch.

Brian26
02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Most of these comments are eerily similar to the Ordonez comments four years ago when he signed with Detroit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Crede play another six or seven years in the league.

Konerko05
02-21-2009, 03:24 PM
And not to be mean, but I hope he HURTS (physically) right before Sox/Twins series

Classy.

DSpivack
02-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Most of these comments are eerily similar to the Ordonez comments four years ago when he signed with Detroit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Crede play another six or seven years in the league.

Eerily similar? Joe Crede helped the White Sox to a World Series title. I think any comparison ends there. :tongue:

Konerko05
02-21-2009, 03:40 PM

The whole situation seems eerily similar.

Edit: Everything apart from the whole World Series hero thing DSpivack just pointed out.

soxinem1
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Hopefully we won't miss his stellar defense. With possibly four young guys in the rotation Joe will be missed on every ball Fields cannot get to. Joe made great plays look routine. RIP Joe Crede

He was not even close to stellar defensively last year, barely played in 2007, so there should be nothing to miss. However:

LIke others who have come back to play against us when they left, Joe deserves appreciation for what he accomplished here. The grand slams, diving catches, clutch hitting in September/October 2005, and for giving us a solid if not great 3B for several years after Ventura, the best 3B in team history, was let go. Nothing more or less should be done by our fans, and booing him would be classless, IMHO.

But after that appreciation is shown, then it is game time. He is just another opposing player that we want to make an out against our pitching.

jabrch
02-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Here's the biggest difference...

Magglio wouldn't allow the Sox doctors to look at him after going to europe for some experimental procedure.

We have had ample involvement in Crede's treatment and rehab.

I'll trust that with full information the conclusion that we have come to on Joe was the best one possible. Right or wrong? Who knows - time will tell. But you have to make a decision based on what information you have. Management had enough on Joe's back to make this call. On Magglio, had we had more information, we might have made a different decision. It was not their fault that he and his representation wouldn't allow us more information. And the fact that, at the time, the Tigers were flush in cash and handing it out like it was going out of style to get anyone to come to that ****hole made it harder on us.

I'lll miss what Crede could have been. I won't miss what he has been the past two years.I won't even miss his career averages. For all we love Joe's defense, he is a career .257/.306/.447 guy.

Brian26
02-21-2009, 04:01 PM

That's not entirely true, from the time Crede refused to have back surgery after the '06 season upon the Sox suggestion until the relationship deteriorated so badly last year that the Sox cleaned out his locker in late August. Boras has been in control the entire time.

As for the threads being eerily similar, you have half the people saying he'll never play again to people wishing injury upon him.

Go back to that early 2005 Mags thread and replace his name with Crede. Same discussion, four years separated. I make no judgement on anyone...just an observation of people's emotions running high.

canOcorn
02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's the biggest difference...

Magglio wouldn't allow the Sox doctors to look at him after going to europe for some experimental procedure.

I'll trust that with full information the conclusion that we have come to on Joe was the best one possible. Right or wrong? Who knows - time will tell. But you have to make a decision based on what information you have. Management had enough on Joe's back to make this call. On Magglio, had we had more information, we might have made a different decision. It was not their fault that he and his representation wouldn't allow us more information. And the fact that, at the time, the Tigers were flush in cash and handing it out like it was going out of style to get anyone to come to that ****hole made it harder on us.

I'lll miss what Crede could have been. I won't miss what he has been the past two years.I won't even miss his career averages. For all we love Joe's defense, he is a career .257/.306/.447 guy.

Had we retained him, you would be kissing his butt and the front office too.

And I'm sure that the tub of butter, better known as Fatolo, is a great move too.

Your schtick of blowing sunshine up the ass of the Sox is old.

jabrch
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
That's not entirely true, from the time Crede refused to have back surgery after the '06 season upon the Sox suggestion until the relationship deteriorated so badly last year that the Sox cleaned out his locker in late August. Boras has been in control the entire time.

Clearly Boras was pulling the strings - but we had every chance to see medical records that we never saw with Maggs.

jabrch
02-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Had we retained him, you would be kissing his butt and the front office too.

And I'm sure that the tub of butter, better known as Fatolo, is a great move too.

Your schtick of blowing sunshine up the ass of the Sox is old.

You stay classy Can. Nice knowing ya.

soxwon
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Where did he go?

Frankfan4life
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Sciatica does not go away. He won't ever be healthy enough to contribute meaningfully as a player over the course of an entire season. Why do you think this is his third one-year deal in a row when he is at an age where multi-year deals are the rule and not the exception?Sciatica? Is that what Crede has? I suffer from that too. However, even though I'm in pain most of the time, I still can walk, run, whatever. Also, I'm getting physical therapy which seems to help.

If all Crede has is Sciatica, I fear the Twins have made a great deal. :(:

jdm2662
02-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Don't remind me. I just got this injury in December, at first got better, then started to get bad again, then it got to a point where I was completely out of comission for three days. While I'm able to function now after a month of rehab, even performing small tasks makes my back a bit gimpy.

Frankfan4life
02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Don't remind me. I just got this injury in December, at first got better, then started to get bad again, then it got to a point where I was completely out of comission for three days. While I'm able to function now after a month of rehab, even performing small tasks makes my back a bit gimpy.I know everyone is different, but even though Sciatica begins in the lower back, the pain primarily affects the leg. I have never had any pain in my back or restriction of movement there.

I'm sorry about your condition. I wish you the best.

Rocky Balboa
02-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I respect what Crede did for the Sox and he came up with some big plays throughout his time, but he never really became what was projected. Injuries finally brought him down, but I remember a lot of hand-wringing about Crede early on in his career. If he didn't come through late in 2005, I doubt people would be this conflicted about it.

That being said, I don't think he'll last that long up in the Dome.
I think they'll do everything they can to limit Crede's starts at 3B when they're at home. He could end up DH'ing alot when they're playing in that hideous joke of a stadium. The scary thing for Whitesox fans, is what if he has a great, injury free year?

The Twins are moving into their new ballpark and will be playing on grass in 2010. They'll have alot more revenue to throw a long term contract offer at him, and he won't have to worry about the turf anymore after 2009. This could come back to haunt the Sox for years. Mauer, Morneau, and a healthy Crede could be a pretty scary 3-4-5 in that batting order. Surrounded by all those speedy slap and giggle hitters and above average pitching staff, and that team could be pretty scary for alot of years.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Mauer, Morneau, and a healthy Crede could be a pretty scary 3-4-5 in that batting order.
:welcome:(I've always wanted to do that!)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Crede was never a "heart of the order" guy with the Sox. In fact, I don't really remember him hitting higher than 7th most of the time. Maybe it's a sign of how weak the Twins' lineup is, when a guy from the bottom third of our order could become the cleanup hitter in theirs!

Great points about the switch to the new surface in 2010.

Rocky Balboa
02-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I guess Crede will probably hit 7th for the Twins. I guess I probably give their lineup a little too much credit. Even a supposed superstar like Mauer, despite his big frame, is lucky to hit ten HR's in a season. Pathetic for a #3 hitter, but he's content to slap singles to LF and win batting titles. Driving in runs is definitely not his top priority.

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I guess Crede will probably hit 7th for the Twins. I guess I probably give their lineup a little too much credit. Even a supposed superstar like Mauer, despite his big frame, is lucky to hit ten HR's in a season. Pathetic for a #3 hitter, but he's content to slap singles to LF and win batting titles. Driving in runs is definitely not his top priority.
Joe Mauer is amazing.

Rocky Balboa
02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
How is he amazing? His HR totals? His rbi totals? Two pretty important stats for a #3 hitter I'd say. I'll take AJ any day over that overrated pretty boy.

Frontman
02-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, if the Twins signed 2005-2006 Joe Crede; that is an awesome pickup for them.

Sadly, I don't see it. For Joe is now 3 years older; with a bum back playing on concrete covered with patio carpet.

I wish him well, but hopefully the Twins won't call the Sox asking where Joe disappears to when hurt, because Ozzie never figured out where he went....

Rocky Balboa
02-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Playing on frozen ground in April isn't any different than playing on turf.

Frontman
02-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Playing on frozen ground in April isn't any different than playing on turf.

Other than 6 months of playing on frozen ground versus one month of frozen ground.....

october23sp
02-22-2009, 12:17 AM
How is he amazing? His HR totals? His rbi totals? Two pretty important stats for a #3 hitter I'd say. I'll take AJ any day over that overrated pretty boy.

I hate every little thing about the Twins but it is very tough to dispute how good Joe Mauer really is. I just threw up in my mouth talking him up.

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2009, 01:28 AM
The Twins are moving into their new ballpark and will be playing on grass in 2010.The new park is on schedule to be finished in mid-summer this year. There is some pressure to go ahead and move to the new park then instead of waiting until next year, so that the fans can have their first experience be a positive on in nice weather, instead of the likelihood of freezing their keisters off in April of 2010.

Craig Grebeck
02-22-2009, 10:46 AM
You are intoxicated.

hula
02-22-2009, 11:17 AM
This sucks - of all teams to go to. The only other one worse would have been the Cubs... It's going to be really hard seeing Joe in that Twinkies uniform.... Not where I ever expected to see him, but really I hadn't given much thought as to where. I guess I just didn't even want to think about it....

Craig Grebeck
02-22-2009, 11:40 AM
This is probably a good deal for the Twins, and it's something I would have wanted to see him take to stay here. It was unrealistic, but just his glove is worth what he will command. $7 million for 525 PA would have been worth it.

tstrike2000
02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
This is probably a good deal for the Twins, and it's something I would have wanted to see him take to stay here. It was unrealistic, but just his glove is worth what he will command. $7 million for 525 PA would have been worth it.

True, after I heard his workout went well in front of some scouts, he was gonna wind up somewhere. Unfortunately, it's in our division.

Sockinchisox
02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Crede sought the Twins because he wanted to play for them.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/crede-sought-twins.html

soxfanreggie
02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Best of luck to him there. If we could have negotiated something like that for him here, I would have considered the risk. However, I doubt he signs that same contract here.

soxinem1
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Crede was never a "heart of the order" guy with the Sox. In fact, I don't really remember him hitting higher than 7th most of the time. Maybe it's a sign of how weak the Twins' lineup is, when a guy from the bottom third of our order could become the cleanup hitter in theirs!

Great points about the switch to the new surface in 2010.

Their 'weak' lineup was third in runs scored last year with 829 and they did tally more than the 230+ HR-hitting White Sox. And that was with Cuddyer out for a long time and an unproductive SS, LF or everyday 3B.

ma-gaga
02-22-2009, 01:46 PM

Hey guys look, it's Dan Barreiro (http://www.kfan.com/pages/psn_danbarreiro.html)! Dan, I'm glad you stopped by. This place is pretty nice, feels like home to some people. Others not so much.

You are intoxicated.

No. He's mis-informed and proud of it. I blame the media. The Twin Cities media rates and values Joe Mauer as a "#3 hitter", instead of a "Catcher". Unfortunately, this gets repeated enough (Dan Barreiro) that the "rubes" start buying into it. It's wrong, but what are you gonna do? Sports talk radio and major newspapers still have a bigger following than internet bloggers.

Mauer = stud. :cool:

KRS1
02-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Boooo-urns.

JGarlandrules20
02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090222/capt.7bf42fe653a9459c873bde6c8c24f17a.red_sox_spri ng_baseball_flsr103.jpg
:(:

Madscout
02-22-2009, 03:54 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090222/capt.7bf42fe653a9459c873bde6c8c24f17a.red_sox_spri ng_baseball_flsr103.jpg
:(::whiner:
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/media/images/anakin-skywalker.jpg

JGarlandrules20
02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090222/capt.c196602e93fd48a88c650209293ba7cd.red_sox_spri ng_baseball_flsr106.jpg

This looks familiar, lol.

hula
02-22-2009, 04:01 PM

My stomach is queezy now for sure.......

Madscout
02-22-2009, 04:01 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090222/capt.c196602e93fd48a88c650209293ba7cd.red_sox_spri ng_baseball_flsr106.jpg

This looks familiar, lol.I can get used to that.

Foulke You
02-22-2009, 04:08 PM
That just doesn't look right on him.:(:

Dan Mega
02-22-2009, 04:27 PM

This looks familiar, lol.

That's his PK impression with the bases loaded.

Woofer
02-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Those pics hurt to look at.

MUsoxfan
02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm fine with it. He won't be wearing that uniform more than 50 games this year.

Whitesoxfan23
02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
So Crede sought after the Twins? Wow... I guess he did somewhat wanna stick it to the Sox.

Frontman
02-22-2009, 05:13 PM
So Crede sought after the Twins? Wow... I guess he did somewhat wanna stick it to the Sox.

No, I think after Crede realized that Boras would have to make the calls instead of calls coming in for his services; he'd take a gig anywhere he could get one from any of the 29 other teams in the league.

The Twins just happened to be the team that signed him.

siugrad25
02-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I understand everything everyone has said, but I'm bored at work tonight and just saw a ton of photos from AP with Joe Crede wearing a Twins jersey and it was a little freaky.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2009, 08:30 PM
And according to Phil this now makes the Twins the favorite.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-23-rogers-on-baseballfeb23,0,3584012.column

:rolleyes:

(Of course the little matter about him having a bad back and with no guarantee to play any more then a few months is lightly touched upon...)

Lip

anewman35
02-22-2009, 08:44 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-23-rogers-on-baseballfeb23,0,3584012.column

(Of course the little matter about him having a bad back and with no guarantee to play any more then a few months is lightly touched upon...)

Lip

His entire arguement is summed up in the end: They were pretty good last year, they didn't really get any worse, and Crede, if healthy, makes them better (and even if he gets hurt, it's not as if they gave up anybody to get him). I don't really see how anybody can dispute that. In this division this year, the Twins are as logical a pick as anybody else.

Frater Perdurabo
02-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Phil, if you are reading, I generally respect your opinion.

But to argue that Crede could be considered the best Sox player since 2002 is simply ahistorical.

Crede was excellent at times, but no way is he anywhere close to, oh, Mark Buehrle. And Dye, Jenks and Konerko might have something to say about that discussion as well.

soxfanreggie
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Those pictures are hard to look at, just about the same feeling as if the jersey said "Cubs" on it.

WhiteSox1989
02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Those pictures are hard to look at, just about the same feeling as if the jersey said "Cubs" on it.
I think this feeling is worse.

ChiSoxGirl
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Not only :(:, but :puking:, as well!!! He looks so weird in navy blue.

guillen4life13
02-22-2009, 10:48 PM

But, at least in my situation, Sciatica comes and goes and a heavy dose of Ibuprofen or Diclofenac (sp?) can do wonders. Mine started happening when I was 17 and running track. Doctor told me I had to stop running. It was incredibly painful. As I type, I'm in quite a bit of pain in the lower back is starting to spread to the left leg/buttock and my extra strength Ibuprofen has, as of ten minutes ago, run out. Two weeks ago it was even worse and I was very tormented getting on my bike to ride to campus. I'm not going to be a happy camper the next few days. To this day I'm not sure what causes this. I think it may be years of unbalanced standing/sitting (putting majority of weight on one leg or one buttock) or possibly years of having a guitar strapped on. Who knows. I don't even know why I went into this much detail.

In any case, were I not so low on my meds I'd probably be feeling a lot better. Given the insane access to PT, cortisone and other pain management services, Crede should legitimately be alright. Of course, the cause of sciatica differs from person to person, so what works for me may not work for him.

I wish Crede the best whenever he isn't playing against the White Sox. I liked his style and he will always have a spot in my heart for what he did in 2005 and 2006.

It really hurts to see him in a Twins uniform, but life goes on. It would have hurt more to see Big Frank don that uniform as he was close to doing a couple years ago.

jabrch
02-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Crede was excellent at times, but no way is he anywhere close to, oh, Mark Buehrle. And Dye, Jenks and Konerko might have something to say about that discussion as well.

Wow...just wow.

JB98
02-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Rogers thinks the Twins are the favorites?

ROTFLMAO.

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

whitesox901
02-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Rogers thinks the Twins are the favorites?

ROTFLMAO.

eeeeeYES! :D::D::bandance::bandance::):)

GoGoCrede
02-23-2009, 06:04 AM

The stuff of nightmares! :o:

Frontman
02-23-2009, 07:08 AM

Wow...just wow.

You don't think Konerko of 2005 wasn't one of the best players during the 2002-2008 stretch?

Phil has a point, a healthy Crede makes any squad better. But I don't see how anyone ignores the fact that Crede for two years in a row hasn't made it to the All-Star break without issue.

If he's healthy is a big if; hence the laden incentive contract.

jabrch
02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
You don't think Konerko of 2005 wasn't one of the best players during the 2002-2008 stretch?

I didn't say that.

I was just surprised to see FP say anything so nice about PK.

Thome25
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM

:whiner:
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/media/images/anakin-skywalker.jpg

My stomach is queezy now for sure.......

That just doesn't look right on him.:(:

Those pics hurt to look at.

I think this feeling is worse.

Not only :(:, but :puking:, as well!!! He looks so weird in navy blue.

The stuff of nightmares! :o:

That pic makes my head and my stomach hurt. I agree with all of these quotes especially the Cubs one.

soltrain21
02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Good thing I never really cared for Joe Crede.

SoxfaninLA
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Lip

Phil must be hitting the pipe again, because this is right up there with his "proven workhorse" column of a couple years back. The Sox best all around ball player since 2002....:rolling: The guy has played 144 games the last two seasons combined and has only played 150 of more twice in his career. One above average offensive season, a declining defender, and slow, that screams all around ballplayer to me.

I won't argue that if Crede stays healthy and is the ballplayer he was in 2006 that the Twins will become a much better team, but I don't like the chances of Crede's creaky back holding up playing 81 games on concrete.

The Immigrant
02-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Good thing I never really cared for Joe Crede.

:thumbsup:

Now you can finally enjoy his popups to second base.

soltrain21
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Yep. I mean I get he was a great defensive third baseman, but the complete love affair was lost on me. I bet he plays around 75 games this year.

It will be interesting to see his approach at the plate change, and how successful he will be at it.

Rocky Soprano
02-23-2009, 01:16 PM

This made it real for me. :whiner:

areilly
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM

?

FedEx227
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Yep. I mean I get he was a great defensive third baseman, but the complete love affair was lost on me. I bet he plays around 75 games this year.

It will be interesting to see his approach at the plate change, and how successful he will be at it.

Definitely something I'm going to look for, the Twins brass will not put up with first pitch popups and long uppercut swings.

veeter
02-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Phil must be hitting the pipe again, because this is right up there with his "proven workhorse" column of a couple years back. The Sox best all around ball player since 2002....:rolling: The guy has played 144 games the last two seasons combined and has only played 150 of more twice in his career. One above average offensive season, a declining defender, and slow, that screams all around ballplayer to me.

I won't argue that if Crede stays healthy and is the ballplayer he was in 2006 that the Twins will become a much better team, but I don't like the chances of Crede's creaky back holding up playing 81 games on concrete.I get the feeling if Uribe went to the Twins, Phil would write the same thing about Juan. He also has back up articles about how Kanekoa Texeira and Fautino De Los Santos will haunt the Sox for years to come. The guy has a not-so-veiled grudge against the Sox and us fans. Maybe we need to take it easy on the delicate genius.

SoxfaninLA
02-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I get the feeling if Uribe went to the Twins, Phil would write the same thing about Juan. He also has back up articles about how Kanekoa Texeira and Fautino De Los Santos will haunt the Sox for years to come. The guy has a not-so-veiled grudge against the Sox and us fans. Maybe we need to take it easy on the delicate genius.

It doesn't seem like it was always that way, I could be wrong but I remember him being pretty fair to the Sox until the Danks trade, and then the wheels kind of came off for some reason. I don't know if I would call it a grudge, but it almost seems like he goes out of his way to write really ridiculous stuff sometimes, like you can't really believe that he feels that way, that it has to be some kind of joke or something.....

Woofer
02-23-2009, 04:37 PM

Knowing what happens when we play in the Dome of Hell, they will probably fall for hits:o:

JB98
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
?

You read what I wrote.

areilly
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
You read what I wrote.

Just out of curiosity, who would you classify as a winner?

JB98
02-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, who would you classify as a winner?

Philadelphia. They are the reigning champions of baseball.

Frankfan4life
02-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Phil, if you are reading, I generally respect your opinion.

But to argue that Crede could be considered the best Sox player since 2002 is simply ahistorical.

Crede was excellent at times, but no way is he anywhere close to, oh, Mark Buehrle. And Dye, Jenks and Konerko might have something to say about that discussion as well.No one seems to remember that the Sox won the division without Crede, Quentin and Contreras. Crede's bat and defense were certainly missed at third base but let's give credit to the other team member's who stepped it up and carried the team down the stretch with three starters on the DL.

veeter
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
It doesn't seem like it was always that way, I could be wrong but I remember him being pretty fair to the Sox until the Danks trade, and then the wheels kind of came off for some reason. I don't know if I would call it a grudge, but it almost seems like he goes out of his way to write really ridiculous stuff sometimes, like you can't really believe that he feels that way, that it has to be some kind of joke or something.....Your exactly right. And I don't even know why I get bothered by him. I know I shouldn't. I guess it's because lately he's been taking shots at Sox fans. That we're always nervous and manic. And if we aren't up in arms about a move (Crede), it's because we consider the players disposable. It's just crap. But based on the state of our economy, I shouldn't be surprised people actually make a living at something they suck at.

veeter
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
No one seems to remember that the Sox won the division without Crede, Quentin and Contreras. Crede's bat and defense were certainly missed at third base but let's give credit to the other team member's who stepped it up and carried the team down the stretch with three starters on the DL.That is a GREAT point. It should also be considered when the experts preview this season.

WhiteSoxOnly
02-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Knowing what happens when we play in the Dome of Hell, they will probably fall for hits:o:

Yep...air-conditioned blown balls off a hanging speaker
or some **** like that.

Craig Grebeck
02-23-2009, 09:39 PM
That is a GREAT point. It should also be considered when the experts preview this season.
We may not have won the division without Crede's first half contributions. We flat out would have lost it without Quentin's year. Sure, we won enough games in September to close out the Twins, but without those two we'd have been woebegone.

veeter
02-23-2009, 09:42 PM
We may not have won the division without Crede's first half contributions. We flat out would have lost it without Quentin's year. Sure, we won enough games in September to close out the Twins, but without those two we'd have been woebegone.His point was, without those obviously huge contributors, the guys still brought it home. Danks, Floyd and Alexei put the team on their backs.

Craig Grebeck
02-23-2009, 10:10 PM
His point was, without those obviously huge contributors, the guys still brought it home. Danks, Floyd and Alexei put the team on their backs.
Yes, and over the course of a full season we wouldn't have won without Crede and Quentin.

chisoxfanatic
02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I'll never grow tired of reading this line, JB.

Agreed, the photo of Crede in a Twinkie uniform makes me want to vomit as well. The Twinkies should have a Hostess snack cake on their uniform. It would be fitting.

JB98
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I'll never grow tired of reading this line, JB.

Agreed, the photo of Crede in a Twinkie uniform makes me want to vomit as well. The Twinkies should have a Hostess snack cake on their uniform. It would be fitting.

The photo of him bunting is somehow amusing to me. So amusing that I put it on my blog. The thought of Joe playing Twinkie Ball makes me laugh for whatever reason. Maybe he's going to start bunting for hits now.

chisoxfanatic
02-23-2009, 10:16 PM
The photo of him bunting is somehow amusing to me. So amusing that I put it on my blog. The thought of Joe playing Twinkie Ball makes me laugh for whatever reason. Maybe he's going to start bunting for hits now.
When he goes to make those dives, he's gonna forget he plays in the Baggie Dome, and he's gonna get seriously hurt. If he plays more than 50 games, I'll be shocked.

tstrike2000
02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
When he goes to make those dives, he's gonna forget he plays in the Baggie Dome, and he's gonna get seriously hurt. If he plays more than 50 games, I'll be shocked.

Just as long as in those 50 games he doesn't kill us.

JB98
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Joe Crede is a lifetime .219 hitter in the MetroDome.

But that was with the air conditioner blowing in.

Craig Grebeck
02-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Joe Crede is a lifetime .219 hitter in the MetroDome.

But that was with the air conditioner blowing in.
...against Twin pitching. Do you have a point?

JB98
02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
...against Twin pitching. Do you have a point?

Lighten up.

Craig Grebeck
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Lighten up.
I just don't understand why someone would cite something completely meaningless. But, by all means, carry on...

Frontman
02-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes, and over the course of a full season we wouldn't have won without Crede and Quentin.

Or Swisher or Vasquez. Swish hit game winning runs in, Javy did win games as a starting pitcher that counted towards that final total. Hell, even Boone Logan struck out a few batters when needed.

The point being is that the Crede love is beginning to rival the Legend of Aaron 'never found a way to get hurt that doesn't make me look moronic' Rowand.

Crede is a Twin now. Maggs has been a Tiger for years. It happens, we move on.