PDA

View Full Version : Potentially scary thought re: next USCF concourse statue

Vernam
02-20-2009, 07:50 PM
OK, I very, very rarely start a thread, and I try hard not to just stir up **** here, but the Johnny "Red" Kerr tribute made me wonder: Will Jerry Reinsdorf honor Ken Harrelson with a statue when he retires (very soon, I'm sure many of you hope)?

I'm ambivalent about Hawk -- not a hater or a fan. His analysis doesn't wear especially well throughout a season, but he's a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than many announcers (ex-jocks or not). As a guy like him ages, the larger-than-life persona can seem more than a little silly. His turns of phrase are pretty impressive to me, honestly. "He gone" is just one example that has entered common usage, and not just among Sox fans. I won't even comment on the "homer" label he wears proudly.

So after 25 years or so of Hawkisms, he obviously has his fans and detractors. But how would you feel about seeing him forever enshrined out there next to Pudge, Harold, Billy, Luis, Nellie, the Old Roman, and eventually Frank?

Vernam

oeo
02-20-2009, 07:55 PM
OK, I very, very rarely start a thread, and I try hard not to just stir up **** here, but thinking about the Johnny "Red" Kerr tribute made me wonder: Will Jerry Reinsdorf honor Ken Harrelson with a statue when he retires (very soon, I'm sure many of you hope)?

I'm ambivalent about Hawk -- not a hater or a fan. His analysis doesn't wear especially well throughout a season, but he's a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than many announcers (ex-jocks or not). As a guy like him ages, the "larger than life" persona can seem more than a little silly. His turns of phrase are pretty impressive to me, honestly. "He gone" is just one example that has entered common usage, and not just among Sox fans. I won't even comment on the "homer" label he wears pretty proudly.

So after 25 years or so of Hawkisms, he obviously has his fans and detractors. But how would you feel about seeing him forever enshrined out there next to Pudge, Harold, Billy, Luis, Nellie, the Old Roman, and eventually Frank?

Vernam

I wouldn't be against it, but I think Hawk is going to stay around as long as he possibly can. Then I don't think that statue would happen for years after that, sadly maybe after he's dead.

As for his 'homerism,' I like Hawk, but hopefully Stone keeps him in check a bit better because over the past few years he's really been heading downhill fast. I can understand where he's coming from most of the time, as he lives and dies with the team just like all of us, but I really don't care about that missed strike call back in the first inning and that's why we're down by 2 in the ninth.

TDog
02-20-2009, 07:57 PM
OK, I very, very rarely start a thread, and I try hard not to just stir up **** here, but thinking about the Johnny "Red" Kerr tribute made me wonder: Will Jerry Reinsdorf honor Ken Harrelson with a statue when he retires (very soon, I'm sure many of you hope)? ...

I heard that Harrelson is committed to the Sox for another three years.

I doubt he will get a statue. As a player, he never played for the White Sox.

Marqhead
02-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't be against it, but I think Hawk is going to stay around as long as he possibly can. Then I don't think that statue would happen for years after that, sadly maybe after he's dead.

As for his 'homerism,' I like Hawk, but hopefully Stone keeps him in check a bit better because over the past few years he's really been heading downhill fast. I can understand where he's coming from most of the time, as he lives and dies with the team just like all of us, but I really don't care about that missed strike call back in the first inning and that's why we're down by 2 in the ninth.

I think I'm more excited about Hawk and Stoney in the booth than the actual games this year. :tongue:

Hawk has made a great contribution to this team as an announcer, and he lives and dies with the teams (as we can all see from his announcing style). I think a statue would be an interesting idea, but as oeo mentions probably not for many years. I'm a fan of Hawk, and I'm hoping he continues to announce for as long as he is able.

I hope they continue to put in new statues where relevant, but I really hope they don't over do it.

EDIT: I voted take it or leave it. It would be cool to see him honored, but if not with a statue, the Sox will find a way to remember Hawk.

Frater Perdurabo
02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Hawk was on his best behavior and at his best as an announcer recently when Stone filled in for DJ.

I think Stone will bring out the best in Hawk. And if there's tension, that also can make for good listening.

Unless he makes it to the HOF as a broadcaster, I don't think he deserves a statue.

Hitmen77
02-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Who do people think will get the next statue at the Cell? Billy Pierce?

longtimesoxguy
02-20-2009, 08:27 PM
He has been the face of the franchise in my opinion for a long time. I think recognition is long over due.

Railsplitter
02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
I don't see why not. It's keeping with players with retired numbers getting statues.

AS for Hawk: YESSSS!

BleacherBandit
02-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I think, more than any other announcer in White Sox history, he deserves a statue. If that's what it takes to get him a statue, fine.

However, even if you don't like his mannerisims, as many don't, you still have to appreciate that he has brought some phrases that are uniquely White Sox.

Frontman
02-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't be against it, but I don't see it happening. As to who is next, if they skip putting one up this season, it wouldn't bother me. But I would say stay with the retired numbered players. When it comes to Frank's turn, I'd even wait until after his HoF induction, so we can welcome him home the following season or so as a HoF member.

IF they ever do a statue of Ozzie, I want him as he is now, managing. Wrap the gatorade towel around his neck, windbreaker, and have him on a bench where you can sit next to him and get a photo!

Yes!!

:D:

Noneck
02-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Longevity because of brown nosing should not be the reason to get a statue.

Vernam
02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
IF they ever do a statue of Ozzie, I want him as he is now, managing. Wrap the gatorade towel around his neck, windbreaker, and have him on a bench where you can sit next to him and get a photo!

Yes!!

:D:When they do Ozzie's (after a couple more World Series, god willing), the statue needs to show him dropping an F-bomb.

Vernam

BleacherBandit
02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
When they do Ozzie's (after a couple more World Series, god willing), the statue needs to show him dropping an F-bomb.

Vernam

Or have him methodically dribbling out sunflower seeds. :D:

DumpJerry
02-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Ummm....he already has one. Right next to Fisk. You know he has one, too?

PalehosePlanet
02-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks Dump; thought I was losing my mind for a second.

I'm all for a Hawk statue, but I'd really like to see a Luke Appling statue go up next. After that our other HOF'ers: Collins, Faber, Lyons, Walsh, Schalk, etc... should also get theirs.

Speaking of Luke Appling, has anyone noticed if we've finally fixed his torn and tattered poster on the outside of the stadium?

DumpJerry
02-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks Dump; thought I was losing my mind for a second.

I'm all for a Hawk statue, but I'd really like to see a Luke Appling statue go up next. After that our other HOF'ers: Collins, Faber, Lyons, Walsh, Schalk, etc... should also get theirs.

Speaking of Luke Appling, has anyone noticed if we've finally fixed his torn and tattered poster on the outside of the stadium?
I was there last month. The All-Century Team banners are looking very sad.

jdm2662
02-20-2009, 10:32 PM
In a word, no. Not sure what's worse, his horrible announcing, his whinning, or his role in being JR's message boy.

Please don't compare him to Kerr. Kerr was the Bulls first ever coach, from Chicago, and has been with the Bulls pretty much for the entire time they've been in existance.

jamokes
02-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Roland Hemond should have one!

Vernam
02-20-2009, 10:47 PM
He has been the face of the franchise in my opinion for a long time. I think recognition is long over due.What, no love for Bob Waller? :wink:

Marqhead made a good point, alluding to the fact that Kerr had an extremely successful playing and coaching career, unlike Harrelson. Kerr's impact as the Bulls' first coach was huge -- back then it was unheard of in team sports for a rookie franchise to make the playoffs within 10 years, much less in their inaugural season. Not a very favorable contrast to Hawk's short term as GM. The Kerr statue and tribute were a bit of compensation for the Hall of Fame slight.

But I think JR's sentimental streak will get the best of him re: Hawk. On some level, it galls Reinsdorf (and a lot of us) that Harry Caray found such fame after leaving the Sox. It's not fair to compare Harrelson to that cult of personality. But subconsciously or otherwise, Hawk and JR have positioned him as a more-knowledgeable, slightly less self-parodying, and much more sober version of Harry. Oh, and it goes without saying, much more supportive of the organization. That's how Harrelson got where he is, and how Harry got gone.

Reinsdorf impulsively retired Harold's number while he was still playing, for chrissake. Luckily for him, Harold went on to earn the distinction. When Hawk's time comes, there will be a lot of fanfare. At minimum, they'll name the pressbox for him, or something like that. If they give him a statue, I say make it wearing that stupid Sox cowboy hat from his GM days and the Nehru jacket from his Summer of Love hey days. A bit of irony would help, IOW.

Vernam

chisoxfanatic
02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
He should get an elevated statue next to the scoreboard.

You can put him on the board...YES! :D:

Hitmen77
02-20-2009, 11:26 PM

D'oh!!! I was racking my brains thinking of the ones already on the concourse and was drawing a blank on the one of Pierce. I guess opening day can't come soon enough for me.

I'll go with Luke Appling then. Please don't tell me they already have an Appling statue!:redface:

hi im skot
02-21-2009, 12:05 AM
eeeeeeee-yesssss!

Vernam
02-21-2009, 12:49 AM
D'oh!!! I was racking my brains thinking of the ones already on the concourse and was drawing a blank on the one of Pierce. I guess opening day can't come soon enough for me.

I'll go with Luke Appling then. Please don't tell me they already have an Appling statue!:redface:Billy's is easy to miss, it's right out there next to the Bee Bee Richard statue. :redneck

As an upper-deck STH, I wanna see some statuary up there. At least a Zeke Bonura, Ken Kravec, or something.

Vernam

whitesox901
02-21-2009, 12:56 AM
yes! :bandance::):D::smile::cool:

Frontman
02-21-2009, 07:00 AM
He should get an elevated statue next to the scoreboard.

You can put him on the board...YES! :D:

And I immediately pictured "Parrot" from Palehose 6, eyepatch and all! lol.

Even though Hawk is our guy, I can't see comparing him to say Harry Carey. He just isn't at that level of an icon, and never will be.

oldcomiskey
02-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Longevity because of brown nosing should not be the reason to get a statue.

you gotta give Hawk some credit. He wasnt always a brown-noser. I think back when He and Drysdale were Sox announcers, There wasnt a better tandem in MLB anywhere. And we really found out hopw good he was after he left, because we were saddled with the likes of Frank Messer and Gary Thorne

C-Dawg
02-21-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't think we need a series of statues of broadcasters inside or surrounding the park.

oldcomiskey
02-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Billy's is easy to miss, it's right out there next to the Bee Bee Richard statue. :redneck

As an upper-deck STH, I wanna see some statuary up there. At least a Zeke Bonura, Ken Kravec, or something.

Vernam

which is right next to Luis Alverado and John Jeter. I still dont believe they trades Apericio for a shortstop that was scared of ground balls

veeter
02-21-2009, 08:19 AM
He has been the face of the franchise in my opinion for a long time. I think recognition is long over due.I hate to think the Sox anouncer has been the face of the franchise. Maybe he has. Yes, he's come up with some good nicknames and sayings. But Hawk being front and center has been by his own design, which Reinsdorf blessed him on. I'd rather my announcer be highly thought of because he's a solid professional, like Vin Scully. Not someone who craves the spotlight.

BleacherBandit
02-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I hate to think the Sox anouncer has been the face of the franchise. Maybe he has. Yes, he's come up with some good nicknames and sayings. But Hawk being front and center has been by his own design, which Reinsdorf blessed him on. I'd rather my announcer be highly thought of because he's a solid professional, like Vin Scully. Not someone who craves the spotlight.

I hate compairing announcers to Vin Scully. Although he's a great announcer and a legend, when I was living in LA this Summer, I listened to his broadcasts and I wasn't impressed. Sometimes, when your team is down by eight runs in the ninth inning, it's worthy to have somebody complaining with you. Vin Scully never criticizes the other team from a non-neutral position. That's what I'll remember about Hawk: (compairing ideals) he is what I would be like if I was in the booth, and I respect that.

Maybe we'd have to realize that announcers don't usually last for 30+ seasons with one franchise, and that alone should be a testiment to their quality and a reason for a statue, if we ever make one.

roylestillman
02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Hawk's stint as General Manager forfeited his place in White Sox statuary immortality.

Bring on the Big Hurt statue as soon as he retires.

Also a "Statue to the Common Fan" would be a nice addition. I would place it perpetually in line at the men's room.

WhiteSox1989
02-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Hawk loves the White Sox almost to a fault. I remember the Twins series was absolutely painful to watch/listen because of him. Just nonsense. You could hear in his voice how disappointed and pissed off he was at the White Sox. It was exactly how I felt.

But there are games where I wish Hawk was calling. I wish he was calling the Blackout game. It would have made it that much better. I can't even imagine how bad he would have lost his damn mind after AJ threw out Cuddyer. Not to mention the Thome homerun. I swear there were a couple games in the season where I was sure he was going to collapse from getting so excited over something in the game.

I love Hawk. I wouldn't really mind if he got a statue.

WhiteSox1989
02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Hawk's stint as General Manager forfeited his place in White Sox statuary immortality.

Also a "Statue to the Common Fan" would be a nice addition. I would place it perpetually in line at the men's room.

Who says the common fan can't be a woman?:tongue:

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
This is a terrible idea.

Edit: I'm totally against any more statues until the greatest 2nd baseman who ever played for the Sox gets his.

DumpJerry
02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
If, and this is a big if, Hawk got a statue, it would probably portray him giving Carlos Gomez a man hug.

tick53
02-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Billy's my vote.

DumpJerry
02-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Billy's my vote.
Too late. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2160091&postcount=14)

PKalltheway
02-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Hawk get a statue.

guillen4life13
02-21-2009, 12:52 PM
This is a terrible idea.

Edit: I'm totally against any more statues until the greatest 2nd baseman who ever played for the Sox gets his.
:ray
Hey, man, thanks!

:ralomar:
Not you. Me!

Aw hell naw!

:nellie
Robby Ray (sic), allow me to spit tobacco juice upon you.

:hurt
I'll get mine first. Then none of you will be out of my shadow. Literally.

areilly
02-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I think longtime organization member and Reinsdorf favorite Hawk Harrelson deserves immortalization in bronze just as much as longtime organization member and Reinsdorf favorite Greg Walker.

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey, man, thanks!

:ralomar:
Not you. Me!

Aw hell naw!

:nellie
Robby Ray (sic), allow me to spit tobacco juice upon you.

:hurt
I'll get mine first. Then none of you will be out of my shadow. Literally.
Eddie Collins

whitesox901
02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
what? you people don't want a Hawk statue? The Cubs got a Harry Carey statue and we don't want to be like them.

soxfanreggie
02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
I would say no to a statue, but I think that they could do some sort of tribute. Maybe a "You can put it on the board!!!" sign that lights up on the scoreboard when the Sox hit a homerun.

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2009, 01:00 AM
This is a terrible idea.

Edit: I'm totally against any more statues until the greatest 2nd baseman who ever played for the Sox gets his.Nellie's already out there, turning a double play with Little Looie.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Nellie's already out there, turning a double play with Little Looie.
He was referring to Eddie Collins, who I always think of as a member of the A's. Although if you want to go way back in time with Eddie Collins, I think you should also build a statue of Ed Walsh or even Ted Lyons. But again, I think if you do that the concourse gets crowded with statues.

As for Hawk, his stint as GM removes him from statue consideration.

WSox597
02-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Who says the common fan can't be a woman?:tongue:

That would make even more sense, with the whole bathroom thing. :D:

WSox597
02-22-2009, 06:52 AM
He was referring to Eddie Collins, who I always think of as a member of the A's. Although if you want to go way back in time with Eddie Collins, I think you should also build a statue of Ed Walsh or even Ted Lyons. But again, I think if you do that the concourse gets crowded with statues.

As for Hawk, his stint as GM removes him from statue consideration.

Agreed, those were dark days. Thankfully they didn't last too long.

Frontman
02-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Agreed, those were dark days. Thankfully they didn't last too long.

:hawk
I still think Pudge could of played the outfield. Yaz could of been a catcher!

russ99
02-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Appling and Lyons are certainly deserving, but I wonder if they played too long ago for such modern-day recognition. They're certainly not on a par in the current fanbase's memories of guys like Fisk, Fox and Aparicio.

My money's on Frank, but not until his jersey is retired, which probably won't happen until he gets into the HOF, which had better be on the first ballot.

dickallen15
02-22-2009, 09:40 AM

Hawk inherited a team whose 2 top pitchers, Britt Burns, he won 18 games in 1985, would never pitch again, and Tom Seaver, who won 16 games in 1985,and wanted to play on the east coast, and turned out was done as well, and whose closer, Bob James, went from one of the best in the league in 1985 to one of the worst. His draft wasn't so great, but then again a lot of White Sox drafts haven't been so great, and KW doesn't get very much grief for it. He acquired Bobby Bonilla in the rule 5. He wound up trading him for Jose DeLeon, who had an ERA below 3 in 13 starts for the 1986 White Sox and pitched over 200 innings and was pretty effective in 1987 when there was a spike in offense. DeLeon was eventually traded for Lance Johnson.He also acquired Ivan Calderon for a song. He was bashed for firing a bunch of scouts, but in 1985 the White Sox selected C Kurt Brown with the 5th pick in the draft. The next player drafted? Barry Bonds. Moving Fisk to LF was a mistake, but his reign as GM is hardly the disaster it has been made out to be.

soxinem1
02-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I would think that if Hawk gets one, then Andy The Clown should.

He was around much longer, put up with JR and EE trying to shove him out, then bringing Ribbie and Ruhbarb, then banning his costume from the new park.

Andy hung around as a true fan, Hawk gets paid to call games.

I really believe players should be statued, but maybe nice commemorative portraits of both Hawk and Andy would suffice.

Hitmen77
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
What the Sox need is some "2nd-tier" of recognition for significant players/personnel in team history. They can't give a statue to every beloved and great Sox player. Maybe the Sox need to have a team Hall of Fame in which a larger list of players can officially be recognized without making a statue for all of them. I would say only Appling and Ted Lyons (and someday maybe 5-10 years from now, Thomas) should be in line for statue at this point. Oh, and perhaps Bill Veeck too, but that will never happen until after Reinsdorf sells the team.

Here are some of the players/personnel I think could recognized in such a way. This is just names I could think of and is not meant to be a complete list:

Robin Ventura, Ozzie Guillen, Dick Allen, Mark Buehrle, Al Lopez, Joe Horlen, Ray Schalk,....announcers: Hawk, Harry Caray (this will never happen under JR's ownership).

areilly
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Robin Ventura, Ozzie Guillen, Dick Allen, Mark Buehrle, Al Lopez, Joe Horlen, Ray Schalk,....announcers: Hawk, Harry Caray (this will never happen under JR's ownership).

Well, there's the walk of fame around the upper deck. . . and also the actual team Hall of Fame on the lower deck.

Hitmen77
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, there's the walk of fame around the upper deck. . . and also the actual team Hall of Fame on the lower deck.

I know they have the Sox timeline murals in the UD concourse - which is very cool - and that they used to have the "Hall of Fame" adjacent to the main gift shop. But, as far as I could tell, neither of those places officially inducts or honors specific players/personnel. My thought is that a more official recognition would be a good way to recognize these people without filling the Cell with 30 statues.

This article from yesterday's Trib actually suggests that the Sox will have such a "hall of fame" walk in Glendale.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-0222-white-sox-springfeb22,0,1653534.story

By the way, speaking of the "Hall of Fame" in the lower deck, whatever happened to it? They removed it from its original location in order to expand the main gift shop. I thought I heard it has been moved to the Scout Seats. Can anyone confirm this? If so, that's good for the Scout Seat people, but a vast majority of Sox fans will never be able to see it at that location.

soxinem1
02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Hawk inherited a team whose 2 top pitchers, Britt Burns, he won 18 games in 1985, would never pitch again, and Tom Seaver, who won 16 games in 1985,and wanted to play on the east coast, and turned out was done as well, and whose closer, Bob James, went from one of the best in the league in 1985 to one of the worst. His draft wasn't so great, but then again a lot of White Sox drafts haven't been so great, and KW doesn't get very much grief for it. He acquired Bobby Bonilla in the rule 5. He wound up trading him for Jose DeLeon, who had an ERA below 3 in 13 starts for the 1986 White Sox and pitched over 200 innings and was pretty effective in 1987 when there was a spike in offense. DeLeon was eventually traded for Lance Johnson.He also acquired Ivan Calderon for a song. He was bashed for firing a bunch of scouts, but in 1985 the White Sox selected C Kurt Brown with the 5th pick in the draft. The next player drafted? Barry Bonds. Moving Fisk to LF was a mistake, but his reign as GM is hardly the disaster it has been made out to be.

To an extent I agree with you on the fronts you use as an example.

However, some of his antics were really bad, including:

1. Making himself the centerpiece of the 1986 advertising.
2. Having a relief pitching coach and starting pitching coach.
3. Having a power-hitting coach along with the regular hitting coach.
4. Publicly 'supported' LaRussa by claiming he was the second-best manager in baseball before the year started. Then he forced one of his nemesis, Doug Rader, onto his coaching staff, then fired him when Hawk's weak-ass lineup couldn't score any runs.
5. Fired Dave Dombrowski.
6. Had, what, 46 different players wear a White Sox uniform that year, two managers, fifteen coaches.... Comiskey was a circus!
7. Moving Fisk to LF shouldn't have been an issue (remember, Karkovice was the Opening Day C in 1987) because he was 38 and definitely not mobile enough to play 140 games anymore (in fact, he rarely did it anyway since he came here), but to do it for Joel Skinner was a joke. It was so obvious he was not an everyday player, even to the casual fan. He was slow moving, slow throwing, slow swinging, and had no power for a big guy.
8. Dropped the roster from 25 to 24 players, citing the lack of needing the extra roster spot, all of which was silly considering 46 different players suited up for the team that year.

The only thing Hawk did was build a nice bullpen that year, but with so few leads to protect, what did that matter?

I think the combination of the circus (ala NYY) atmosphere, and the total lack of direction is what stung that team. Many of the players on that team either do not want to talk about 1986, or come out very negatively.

A couple years after his tenure, I asked a couple players what they felt about playing under a Hawk-run team, and they both said: 'He's a good announcer'.

But in terms of the team being ruined, no, I agree with you, Hawk did not do that. The White Sox had some ****ty drafts for years, and had no true direction as a franchise even when they won the AL West in 1983. Hemond ran the team with a 'rent a player' attitude and we went through ups and downs his entire tenure as GM. It wasn't until Larry Himes became GM that there was some sort of game plan for the organization.

Frankfan4life
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Hawk loves the White Sox almost to a fault. I remember the Twins series was absolutely painful to watch/listen because of him. Just nonsense. You could hear in his voice how disappointed and pissed off he was at the White Sox. It was exactly how I felt.

But there are games where I wish Hawk was calling. I wish he was calling the Blackout game. It would have made it that much better. I can't even imagine how bad he would have lost his damn mind after AJ threw out Cuddyer. Not to mention the Thome homerun. I swear there were a couple games in the season where I was sure he was going to collapse from getting so excited over something in the game.

I love Hawk. I wouldn't really mind if he got a statue.That kind of sums it up for me so I voted yes :tongue:.

Let's face it, Hawk is a Sox icon. Think of it, on Hawk's birthday, the Sox could give away strap-on hook noses and eye patches to the first 10,000 fans. "Hawk Day" could be a blast!!

rdwj
02-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Hawk is a Sox icon. He absolutely deserves a statue.

Frankfan4life
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I would say no to a statue, but I think that they could do some sort of tribute. Maybe a "You can put it on the board!!!" sign that lights up on the scoreboard when the Sox hit a homerun.Instead of fireworks? :?:

35th&Shields
02-24-2009, 08:58 AM
I think when Hawk retires he definately deserves some kind of statue or plaque, but I don't think it should go by the other statues in the outfield concourse. It seems to me it would make more sense to have it somewhere else. Same think for Nancy Faust. She definately will deserve some kind of commemoration.

soxinem1
02-24-2009, 12:37 PM
A lot of people do not remember this but two of the good things Hawk did as GM were to:

1. Return the dimensions of Comiskey Park to the pre-1983 distances. From 1983-85 roof shots and bleacher HR's spiked. Of course, Rob Deer hit a mammoth roof shot Opening Day 1986 in the first game with the revised dimensions, but the cheap roof and bleacher shots were gone.

2. Make fireworks night a constant on Saturday home games. Before then it was not a regularly scheduled event to have fireworks after Saturday night games.