PDA

View Full Version : Little League Drama

30DaysintheHole
02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Wondering if I am the only one who has done this...

My 9 year old's Little League Coach just called...to let us know he will be on the Cubs this year! I just couldn't do that to my son. A Chubs hat in our house? Having to hear the parents chear for the "cubbies?"

Keep in mind I am on the West Coast, and people out here do not have much of an idea of how much of a blow this would be to a White Sox family. And the rest of my family in the Chicago area were filled with shock and awe.

I didn't take him from his team, but I got one of the Board members to switch the whole team to the Braves. I think the guy kind of understood, and the team change was explained as "newer uniforms" surfacing.

I don't want to be this overprotective, obnoxious parent, but there is a line that was crossed.....

PatK
02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
That is a little crazy, but I can see that (seeing as I've seen a lot worse).

Personally, I like when teams use minor league teams instead of MLB.

They did that the last year the kids were in Fall Ball for Babe Ruth and it was a success.

Nobody ends up bummed because they get stuck with a team they may not like (like the Yankees, Cubs, Sox, etc).

Plus, the hats are usually goofy. Who can't love having something like this on their hat

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/images/4/45/ChattanoogaLookouts.gif

chisoxjtrain
02-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I am and always have been a die-hard Sox fan. I was on a little league team called the Cubs, and to tell the truth I didn't care, neither did my die-hard Sox fan dad. I have played on teams that were sponsored by the Cubs and have played at Wrigley Field, and I didn't care. I think that you are making a big deal out of nothing.

rdwj
02-20-2009, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't like it either. I don't know if I'd do much more than groan at the news, but I respect your ability to get things done.

Craig Grebeck
02-20-2009, 05:05 PM
This has always been and will always be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

michned
02-20-2009, 05:43 PM
I am and always have been a die-hard Sox fan. I was on a little league team called the Cubs, and to tell the truth I didn't care, neither did my die-hard Sox fan dad. I have played on teams that were sponsored by the Cubs and have played at Wrigley Field, and I didn't care. I think that you are making a big deal out of nothing.

Agreed. Little League is starting up this time of year down here and all my boys want to talk about it is how horrible it would be to be if they get selected to be on the Cubs. I try to explain to them that the name doesn't matter but it's hard when you're that age.

LITTLE NELL
02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Thats funny because my grandson also lives in souhthern California and a couple years ago he was going nuts if he wound up on the Cubs, he was so worried on how I would take it. He wound up on the Angels.

KRS1
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
I was a lucky kid getting the White Sox 4 times (not kidding, my friends dad was our coach from Babe Ruth to Pony and had a monopoly on the Sox). I have all those two buttons in my closet with ads on the back and still bust the biggest two out from time to time during softball.

I honestly can't say I wouldn't have reacted the same way, so I won't be the one calling you flubsessed here.

NLaloosh
02-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Maybe, at 46, I'm not as mature as some people. I am re-married and my wife and stepson are big Sox fans like me.

However, my stepdaughter, age 12, is a cub fan. She's not really a fan at all but she just says that she loves the cubs even though she never watches a game and couldn't name 2 cubs players.

Well, the story is that my wife bought her a cubs book bag that she asked for after her Jonas Brothers bag become worn. I flipped a lid. I told my wife that I'm not looking at that ****ing thing in my house everyday! I told her to return it and buy her anything else that she wanted.

She did. Problem solved.

I know this is not the same thing but there is no way that I could have ever played fo rthe cubs or let my kid play for the cubs. I just couldn't. To me, it would suck more than almost anything.

Eddo144
02-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I hate to be mean, but I agree with you, Grebeck. What if another kid is a Mets or Phillies or Marlins fan and absolutely despises the Braves?

DirtySox
02-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I think this is hilariously awesome.

SoxGirl4Life
02-20-2009, 06:49 PM
My nephews have been on a bunch of little league cub teams (I know, oxymoron). My sister has all their pictures of various years on the refrigerator. Last Thanksgiving, I hid all the cub ones.

Nobody got mad, we just laughed about it later.

soxfan21
02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
I got lucky and got to play on the woodridge white sox throughout little league and got to wear #13!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
While I wasn't on the Cubs, I did have the privilege of being on the Twins and the Indians.

The Twins was when I was in the Rookie League with pitching machines, and the Indians was when I moved up a level.

Our Indians team was actually a powerhouse. We ended up winning the World Series that year with a 22-2 record or something like that. This was in '94-'95, so I don't really remember too clearly.

SoxandtheCityTee
02-20-2009, 07:35 PM
And the rest of my family in the Chicago area were filled with shock and awe......

:rolling: I don't blame you a bit.

(BTW, I don't how I missed your awesome screen name!)

UofCSoxFan
02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't want to be this overprotective, obnoxious parent, but there is a line that was crossed.....

Too late for that.

Just be happy that your kid likes baseball and is healthy enough to play.

Coaches (I'm assuming who are volunteers) have to put up with some much crap from Little League parents that all think their kid is the next future HOF that to complain about this is just nuts.

Not to mention, I'm sure there was at least one kid on the team really excited about being on the Cubs that you didn't consider for 2 seconds.

Seriuosly...kind of pathetic.

Vestigio
02-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I was the Cubs during my final season in an organized park league. I had dirtied up the hat to the point where I wouldnt feel bad wearing it during the game. When I got home, I threw my hat in my closet so I wouldnt have to be reminded of it.

Unfortunately, during my 10 years of playing in little and summer leagues, I was never on the White Sox :angry:

october23sp
02-20-2009, 08:29 PM
When I was about 5 or 6 I was on the White Sox. Thats where my fandom began, I then heard of Frank Thomas and put a big 35 on the back of my generic white jersey.

Brian26
02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Plus, the hats are usually goofy. Who can't love having something like this on their hat

The Lookouts are cool, but I've always been partial to the Hickory Crawdads and Beloit Snappers hats.

Tekijawa
02-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I like it... At least he your son has a chance to make it to the Championship now. I'd be especially concerned if your son was a pitcher, they'd just over use him and he'd spend the next three years on the DL and be out of the league in 4. Your soon might be a little disappointed that there aren't any hotties in the stand not paying attention to the game though.

TommyJohn
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Well, I'll tell ya what...

Back in 2005, Rick Telander interviewed the "inventor" of the ****ing assinine "ex-Cub factor" before the 2005 playoffs. The guy was obnoxious. He spoke about how, as a Little League coach, he warned his players never to wear White Sox hats, or they "would bat ninth." "Some tested me. They batted ninth." I always said that if a Sox fan had done that, the media would have treated him as the worst guy since Richard Speck.

Point is, Cub fans can do dumb things like that too. So spare us snobby, look-down-your-nose-at-us methed-up lowlifes attitude.

And you say "this has always been and always will be...." Always been? Didn't you just read this today???? Am I missing something?

Eddo144
02-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Back in 2005, Rick Telander interviewed the "inventor" of the ****ing assinine "ex-Cub factor" before the 2005 playoffs. The guy was obnoxious. He spoke about how, as a Little League coach, he warned his players never to wear White Sox hats, or they "would bat ninth." "Some tested me. They batted ninth." I always said that if a Sox fan had done that, the media would have treated him as the worst guy since Richard Speck.

Point is, Cub fans can do dumb things like that too. So spare us snobby, look-down-your-nose-at-us methed-up lowlifes attitude.

And you say "this has always been and always will be...." Always been? Didn't you just read this today???? Am I missing something?
So Rick Telander being a jackass to children gives Sox fans that right?

Come on, like a previous poster said, there very well could have been a child on the team whose favorite team is the Cubs and who was extremely excited for that reason. Alternatively, there could have been another kid who was a big Mets fan and can't stand that he has to play for the Braves now.

ChiSoxGirl
02-20-2009, 10:23 PM
A couple years ago, my friend's daughter was on the Cubs for park district softball. She and her daughter are both Sox fans, so my friend had "Sox fan" monogrammed onto the back of her daughter's hat so everyone knew she wasn't a Cub fan. :wink:

Craig Grebeck
02-20-2009, 11:06 PM

Posts along these lines come probably once a year, to my recollection. This little league garbage has been put through the ringer around here more than once.

SOXfnNlansing
02-20-2009, 11:18 PM
When I sign up my son for little league, I ALWAYS talk to the league president and make it known my son is not on the cubs. So far he's been a Giant, Phillie, White Sox, and this season he's a Red Sox. So far, so good.:bandance:

oeo
02-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Too late for that.

Just be happy that your kid likes baseball and is healthy enough to play.

Coaches (I'm assuming who are volunteers) have to put up with some much crap from Little League parents that all think their kid is the next future HOF that to complain about this is just nuts.

Not to mention, I'm sure there was at least one kid on the team really excited about being on the Cubs that you didn't consider for 2 seconds.

Seriuosly...kind of pathetic.

It's for the best. :redneck

But seriously, I 100% agree with you...this was a bit much.

hi im skot
02-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Don't people have real problems these days?

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Do all the Little Leagues do this now? When I was a kid growing up in LaGrange, your team name was the name of the sponsor. You played for Hennebry Chevrolet, or Fencl Ford, or Quaker Oats, etc.

thomas35forever
02-21-2009, 01:44 AM
When I was 13, I moved up to a new level, so we had to draft again. I got a notice in the mail that said I was drafted by the Cubs. I was shocked, but I accepted it. The fact that I had to put on a Cubs uniform for two years ended up being a non-issue.

Chrisaway
02-21-2009, 04:20 AM
I was on a team sponsored by a pizza place (Maurie's Table) and the only team we ever beat was the White Sox. I had the game winning RBI in that game.

Frater Perdurabo
02-21-2009, 06:36 AM
I played little league for two summers. Both years I was on the "Reds." But we called ourselves and the other four teams in the league more often just by the color of our uniforms (Green Team, Yellow Team, Brown Team, Blue Team, etc.).

The Critic
02-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Do all the Little Leagues do this now? When I was a kid growing up in LaGrange, your team name was the name of the sponsor. You played for Hennebry Chevrolet, or Fencl Ford, or Quaker Oats, etc.
When I was a kid, our park's PeeWee League named the teams after the color of the jersey and an MLB team (I was on the maroon Twins).
Little League did the sponsor name and an MLB team (I was on the Zemsky Bros. Pirates).
Pony League had sponsor logos on the jerseys but only used the MLB team names (Tigers and Indians for me).

Personally, I think it's pretty silly to get that riled up over what team your kid plays on. My daughter played on the Cubs and somehow survived.

Dibbs
02-21-2009, 08:12 AM
I would do whatever it takes to switch to a different team. I hate the idea of using major league team names.

What happened to the good old days of having a team sponsor with the city name on the front of the uniform?

BleacherBandit
02-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm in favor of minor league teams.

I wouldn't mind being on the Montgomery Biscuits. That would be hillarious.

I want Mags back
02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I was on the Cubs my last 2 years playing, 7th and 8th grade.

kittle42
02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
So Rick Telander being a jackass to children gives Sox fans that right?

Nitpicking, but it wasn't Telander. Re-read the post.

Eddo144
02-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Nitpicking, but it wasn't Telander. Re-read the post.
Ah, my bad. Feel free to read my post as, "So some random Cub fan being a jackass to children gives Sox fans that right?"

jabrch
02-21-2009, 02:55 PM
That is a little crazy, but I can see that (seeing as I've seen a lot worse).

Personally, I like when teams use minor league teams instead of MLB.

They did that the last year the kids were in Fall Ball for Babe Ruth and it was a success.

Nobody ends up bummed because they get stuck with a team they may not like (like the Yankees, Cubs, Sox, etc).

I have a Lookouts hat that I love. It is falling apart due to age/wear, but it is one of my favorite non-Sox hats.

jabrch
02-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I would do whatever it takes to switch to a different team. I hate the idea of using major league team names.

What happened to the good old days of having a team sponsor with the city name on the front of the uniform?

I played for Zengler's Cleaners and the Towne Car Wash.

Brian26
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
I played for Zengler's Cleaners and the Towne Car Wash.

1st base for Drake Lumber.

WhiteSox1989
02-21-2009, 03:11 PM
My dad was the commissioner and my coach in little league. He always made sure we were on the White Sox.

guillensdisciple
02-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I was never on a white sox or cubs teams in the little leagues but I always had to play against them. My worst games always came against the White Sox and the best ones always against the Cubs. It might be a coincidence, but I think I didn't want to beat anything with a Sox logo on it.

Mind you, I was the starting pitcher, so the year we played in the Championship game against the White Sox we lost. I think that is a sign of stupidity or true allegiance, but looking back at it, I really wish I would have beaten the crap out of the little league White Sox.

The White Sox did win the REAL one 8 years later. I was just impatient.

sigh.

To the topic at hand. I would never do anything of that ilk, but thumbs up for backing up the White Sox the whole way. I would have nightmares seeing my kid play in a Cubs uniform.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-21-2009, 05:32 PM
When I was in little league, I was the Cubs, then White Sox, then the Yankees. :redneck 1 out of 3 isn't that bad, and I was still happy with the Yankees.

I think making them switch the team is a little overboard, but I'd be happy if one of the parents did it.:rolleyes:

jamokes
02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I was on Long's Garden Center in Little League. I find it sad today when leagues can't find sponsors for teams, a sign of the times I guess.

pearso66
02-21-2009, 09:08 PM
When I played we weren't named by teams, it was by sponsor. My favorite year was when I played for Dairy Queen. We took first that year, and after every win we got free blizzards. I would feel bad if my kids (when I have them) would be on the Cubs, but I don't think I'd do anything about it. Maybe have them wear a Sox shirt on under the jersey.

gaelhound
02-21-2009, 09:49 PM
You did the right thing. Never associate with losers. You are trying to raise your kid right. My Applause! I also like the minor league affiliation thing, keeps the stigma away if you end up on a despicable team.

Red Barchetta
02-22-2009, 10:38 AM
We have a similar format in my son's league (Sarasota area). They utilize 8 different pro teams and the SOX and Cubs are represented. This is his second year and basically, they have no grandfather clause each season - first come, first servce based on coaching requests, etc. At times, very political to the casual parents and players who just want their son to have fun and enjoy watching him play.

Last year he was om the Yankees. This year he is on the Rockies. If he gets picked on the Cubs one of these seasons I will just suck it up and perhaps we can make an event at the end of the season where we burn the hat and jersey. :D:

If he gets on the SOX, I plan to do whaterever it takes to keep him on that team!

PatK
02-22-2009, 03:12 PM
I have a Lookouts hat that I love. It is falling apart due to age/wear, but it is one of my favorite non-Sox hats.

I have a bunch of minor league hats. I got obsessed with them about 16-17 years ago in my early 20s.

Now they are old worn, or had accidents and are on the verge of being unwearable.

I can't find fitted ones like I used to wear anywhere.

I still have my Hickory Crawdads with the small Sox logo on the back

BigP50
02-22-2009, 06:17 PM
my little brother was on the cubs when he was like 7 and we took his hat into the backyard when it was raining and threw mud on it, spat on it, and just let it stay in the rain for hours!

Cuck the Fubs!!!!!

guillen4life13
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be freaking out over something like this. It's Little League. The team names have no effect on MLB and I doubt it will have a stronger impact on your kid's team allegiance than your influence.

Maybe have a jersey/hat destruction ceremony at season's end, but it's just a team name. Nada mas.

soxinem1
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
One solution is to become a manager and make your own team name!!!

In our league a few years ago, a couple of the managers moved to Pony level. The guy who took the cubs team was a devoted White Sox fan, and the new manager of the Cardinals just loved the cubs.

So they switched team names. They kept the teams intact and switched the names!!!

This year I move up and my team will be the White Sox. At least I will have the honor of managing the White Sox once in my life, regardless of the level of the team!!!:bandance::bandance:

monkeypants
02-22-2009, 09:55 PM
This thread does nothing to help dispel the stereotype of the meatball Sox fan. We are talking little league and these are just kids. Have some perspective people. My brother is a big Cubs fan and he coached my nephew's little league team and they were the White Sox. He and I joked about him being the manager of the White Sox but he didn't complain. He even wore his Sox cap all the time at practices and games.
When I was growing up and playing little league all the teams were named after MLB teams but they never used either Chicago teams. I guess this would be the best way to stop overreactive morons.

Vestigio
02-23-2009, 01:32 AM

Personally, I always enjoyed playing for different major league teams. I would watch more baseball because I would have another rooting interest, if only for a season. Plus when I was younger, I like to collect anything that had a team logo on it. Somewhere in my house, I still have all my old team hats and jerseies. It just wouldnt be the same if I were the Bobcats sponsored by Boborinos, or the Silver Streaks sponsered by a local alderman, thats boring.

To get back on topic, somewhat, I use to coach, with dad, on my younger brother's team. Instead of choosing the Sox or other popular teams, we chose teams that no one ever picked. We went with the Mariners, Twins, Mets, and Nationals.

guillensdisciple
02-23-2009, 09:12 AM
This thread does nothing to help dispel the stereotype of the meatball Sox fan. We are talking little league and these are just kids. Have some perspective people. My brother is a big Cubs fan and he coached my nephew's little league team and they were the White Sox. He and I joked about him being the manager of the White Sox but he didn't complain. He even wore his Sox cap all the time at practices and games.
When I was growing up and playing little league all the teams were named after MLB teams but they never used either Chicago teams. I guess this would be the best way to stop overreactive morons.

I don't understand how the hell that makes us meatballs? Each fan has a separate way of dealing with rivalries. If you dislike someone, and you allegiance is towards one team, then why not refuse to do something of this sort? To each his own in every regard, even in rooting interest. There are plenty of Cubs fans who do the same thing, but they aren't called meatballs, why? They are the majority, and you can't really stereotype them can you?

RoobarbPie
02-23-2009, 09:41 AM
30DaysInTheHole gets my vote for Mom of the Year! I thought it was a great move...

I'm also a fan of making little league teams the names of some of the lesser known teams in MLB. I played and coached minor league and little league for the Giants, Royals, Rangers, and Rockies - it made me look up the rosters of these teams and even sorta root for them the years that I played for them.

I want Mags back
02-23-2009, 09:59 AM
30DaysInTheHole gets my vote for Mom of the Year! I thought it was a great move...

1stly, how do we know he/she isn't a dad??

2ndly, I strongly disagree with the "great move" part. Ridiculous and I guess overprotective, yes, but great, far from it IMO.

rdwj
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Forget baseball - ANY fanbase that has a rival team will have a sizable segment of it's fanbase that wouldn't be happy with their kid playing on a team with the rival's name.

Doesn't matter what sport, what city or what country.

Get over the meatball Sox fan thing - it does not apply here.

Eddo144
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Forget baseball - ANY fanbase that has a rival team will have a sizable segment of it's fanbase that wouldn't be happy with their kid playing on a team with the rival's name.

Doesn't matter what sport, what city or what country.

Get over the meatball Sox fan thing - it does not apply here.
Hmm...would you be OK if the parents of another kid on the OP's kid's Little League team threw a tantrum and because they're a Mets fan and hate the Braves?

RoobarbPie
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM

2ndly, I strongly disagree with the "great move" part. Ridiculous and I guess overprotective, yes, but great, far from it IMO.

1) I'm related to her :smile:

2) I know the situation and it wasn't a demand - more like a polite request to change to a different team. So I don't see it as being overprotective because it's not like the situation got out of hand. I believe she works with one of the LL board members that made the team switch, so she just had to walk over and ask about it.

This means that I don't have to see pictures on my fridge of my nephew in a cubs uniform. :bandance:

guillensdisciple
02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Hmm...would you be OK if the parents of another kid on the OP's kid's Little League team threw a tantrum and because they're a Mets fan and hate the Braves?

That is a bit irrational, when was the last time you saw a parent throw a tantrum because of that?

Iwritecode
02-23-2009, 11:01 AM

During my entire baseball career I was sponsored by two different local businesses. For my first few years, it was the family business of a friend of mine that played on the team with me. He actually had his last name on the front of his jersy. After that, my dad's company sponsered us.

I played little league for two summers. Both years I was on the "Reds." But we called ourselves and the other four teams in the league more often just by the color of our uniforms (Green Team, Yellow Team, Brown Team, Blue Team, etc.).

That's pretty much what we always did and do now with my daughter. Sure they all have sponsors but to us they are just the green team, the red team, ect...

FedEx227
02-23-2009, 11:03 AM
That is a bit irrational, when was the last time you saw a parent throw a tantrum because of that?

They are just as big of rivals as Cubs/Sox. No, they don't live close to each other but talk to members of either fan base and you'll see.

It's stupid.

Who the hell cares what little league team you're on?

I was on the Twins for 2 years. OH NO! PIRANHAS!

esbrechtel
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I was on the Cardnials and Mariners...

The M's was really sweet because that was in the Ken Griffey Jr days...:D:

guillen4life13
02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
1) I'm related to her :smile:

2) I know the situation and it wasn't a demand - more like a polite request to change to a different team. So I don't see it as being overprotective because it's not like the situation got out of hand. I believe she works with one of the LL board members that made the team switch, so she just had to walk over and ask about it.

This means that I don't have to see pictures on my fridge of my nephew in a cubs uniform. :bandance:

This makes the situation slightly different. I still think, IMO, I wouldn't care but if it were that easy to switch I'd probably do it. However, if it couldn't be switched I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's just a name.

If the kid gets ticked about it, that's a different story. Then kudos to him so long as it stays within reason. When I was a kid playing basketball, I would have died if I had to play for the Knicks (if that's how they had done it in youth BsktB) and it would have killed me to play baseball for the Cubs or any other AL Central team at least initially. But remember, Little League is about developing social skills just as much as it is about the actual sport and the only real fans of any team are the kids' parents/family.

Eddo144
02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Um...the original poster?

OK, "tantrum" is quite a strong word. How would you feel if the chain continued and another parent got the team named changed because he/she was a Mets fan and hated the Braves? What if the team name was then changed to Giants, only to have a Dodgers fan push to get it changed again? What makes White Sox fans special enough to allow them to change the name of a Little League team?

Eddo144
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I know the situation and it wasn't a demand - more like a polite request to change to a different team. So I don't see it as being overprotective because it's not like the situation got out of hand. I believe she works with one of the LL board members that made the team switch, so she just had to walk over and ask about it.
OK, this is a little different. The original post made it sound like the OP had to put up a fight to get them changed. If it was all done prior to the kids receiving uniforms and whatnot, then this is just someone seizing the opportunity.

dickallen15
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Wondering if I am the only one who has done this...

My 9 year old's Little League Coach just called...to let us know he will be on the Cubs this year! I just couldn't do that to my son. A Chubs hat in our house? Having to hear the parents chear for the "cubbies?"

Keep in mind I am on the West Coast, and people out here do not have much of an idea of how much of a blow this would be to a White Sox family. And the rest of my family in the Chicago area were filled with shock and awe.

I didn't take him from his team, but I got one of the Board members to switch the whole team to the Braves. I think the guy kind of understood, and the team change was explained as "newer uniforms" surfacing.

When I played little league, I was drafted by the Cubs. I had to wear an actual Cubs hat. I was only 10 or 11. I would only wear it out in the field, never anywhere else. It was so painful, I asked to be a catcher so I could wear the plain helmet instead.

RadioheadRocks
02-24-2009, 01:40 AM

Guess I'm showing my age here, but the first thing I thought of when I saw that screen name was a song by Humble Pie.

SOXfnNlansing
02-24-2009, 05:21 AM
When I played little league, I was drafted by the Cubs. I had to wear an actual Cubs hat. I was only 10 or 11. I would only wear it out in the field, never anywhere else. It was so painful, I asked to be a catcher so I could wear the plain helmet instead.

If I was in the same situation as you were, I would have done the same exact thing.

spawn
02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Wait, so a kid makes a little league team, is told it was the Cubs, and the original poster had the team switched? This is little league we're talking about, right? Wow.

Madscout
02-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Let's see, I was a...
Pirate
Brewer
White Sox
Rockie

so no drama there. I guess I got lucky.

soxinem1
02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Maybe, at 46, I'm not as mature as some people. I am re-married and my wife and stepson are big Sox fans like me.

However, my stepdaughter, age 12, is a cub fan. She's not really a fan at all but she just says that she loves the cubs even though she never watches a game and couldn't name 2 cubs players.

Hmm, sounds like a lot of fans of that particular team. :smile:

But good for you on your re-birth with your new wife and already-properly raised White Sox fan kids!!!

OldRomanPizza
02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I was on the Reds, the Braves, the Yankees, and the Pirates.

Scored the championship winning run as a member of the Yanks! :redneck

The Cubs and Sox were always horrible teams in our leagues!

RadioheadRocks
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Let's see, I was a...
Pirate
Brewer
White Sox
Rockie

... a pawn and a king, I've been up and down and over and out...

Sorry, had to get it out of my system! :D:

The Critic
02-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Guess I'm showing my age here, but the first thing I thought of when I saw that screen name was a song by Humble Pie.
Count me in the Old Guy Club, but that's what I thought of, too.

Iwritecode
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Count me in the Old Guy Club, but that's what I thought of, too.

Is there another meaning that I'm missing? :scratch:

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Is there another meaning that I'm missing? :scratch:
No, it's pretty up front. "Thirty Days in the Hole" was a song by the group Humble Pie.

KenBerryGrab
02-25-2009, 03:41 PM
No, it's pretty up front. "Thirty Days in the Hole" was a song by the group Humble Pie.

Seeds and dust that you got bust on....

UofCSoxFan
02-25-2009, 07:23 PM

I second the meatball thing. This is just sad.

Maybe its because I played college baseball but this just seems so incredibly petty.

Hell, if the Cubs or Twins offered me a contract tomorrow, I'd probably get over my White Sox fandom. Some of you I feel would actually have to sleep on it.

Part of this reminds me of the multiple meatball callers that would call into the SCORE during Super Bowl week worried that Grossman wouldn't try hard b/c he grew up a Colts fans. Those were some classic calls.

cub killer
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
I agree 100% with what the original poster did. For one thing, LL teams should not have Major League names. There are more than enough animals in the animal kingdom to name LL teams.

Good on ya, OP. Don't listen to your naysayers.

Region Rat
03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I hope I'm more mature than this by the time my boys start playing LL...ah who the hell am I kidding, I would've done the same thing.:redneck

...I was lucky. My first year of T-ball, I was on the White Sox. I wore the "curly q" C hat. The one that looked like an "e". My dad was happy as hell, my mom was pissed. But since that year I was always stuck on expansion teams(Rockies, Marlins)

Ziggy S
03-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Lots of BAWWING in this thread. Do I need to call the waaahhmbulance?