PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye... Happy with the Sox and wants to finish his career here

doublem23
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3922064&name=mlb_spring_training

FWIW. I really can't see how he'll be here past this season, but hey, maybe. :dunno:

jabrch
02-20-2009, 04:29 PM
FWIW. I really can't see how he'll be here past this season, but hey, maybe. :dunno:

He controls that to some extent - doesn't he?

If the market stays the same, he will be affordable. It's not like we have some RF coming up who is a lock to take his job in 2010. And we also have the DH spot possibly opening up soon.

I have no idea either way - but I certainly see a scenario where he is our best option, and we are his.

LoveYourSuit
02-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I think Dye can be a force for us at DH once Thome moves on. CQ/Dye combo is as good as any in baseball.

rdwj
02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I like the idea of Dye as a DH. I also think he'd give the Sox a hometown discount to stay.

ChiSox89
02-20-2009, 04:50 PM
yea i would keep dye for DH as well

Rohan
02-20-2009, 05:20 PM
There's something about Jermaine Dye that just makes me love him.
I think that he's just a grinder. He's always sprinting and killing himself to make plays. I'm glad he likes it here.

veeter
02-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I think Dye can be a force for us at DH once Thome moves on. CQ/Dye combo is as good as any in baseball.:nod:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-20-2009, 05:23 PM
I think that he's just a grinder. He's always sprinting and killing himself to make plays. I'm glad he likes it here.

Seconded. Seeing the WS MVP finish his career here in a DH role would be a nice way to end it. He reminds me of Harold Baines in that guise - as much as I will always love Harold and am glad he's back, I wish he'd never left the Sox in the first place.

hawkjt
02-20-2009, 05:43 PM
JD...high character,productive,respectful of the game, non-whiner,hustler ie...Clubhouse Leader..
Will never hear of any teammates calling him JD-Fraud behind his back.

Yea, JD can stick around as DH as long as he can rake.

LITTLE NELL
02-20-2009, 05:45 PM
JD is a class act and I would love to see him finish his career with the Sox.

Chrisaway
02-20-2009, 05:53 PM

I'll never forget at the Civil Rights Game last year. I was sitting front row to the left of him in RF and he was getting heckled by a group of rowdy mets fans. He turned smiled and pointed to his ring finger. We all went nuts and started an MVP chant. I love JD.

Red Barchetta
02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I for one would like to see the only White Sox World Series MVP in my lifetime end his career here. :bandance:

JB98
02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
As long as JD is willing to DH starting in 2010, I would like for him to stay for the rest of his career.

asindc
02-20-2009, 07:12 PM
As an owner of his replica jersey, I would love to see my current favorite Sox player finish his career here. He represents the organization and himself very well, is an exceptional player, and by all accounts a great teammate. I see no downside to it.

chisoxfanatic
02-20-2009, 10:58 PM
There's something about Jermaine Dye that just makes me love him. I think that he's just a grinder. He's always sprinting and killing himself to make plays. I'm glad he likes it here.
Agreed 100%. Players don't get much classier than he is.

october23sp
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
I for one would like to see the only White Sox World Series MVP in my lifetime end his career here. :bandance:
Agreed.

whitesox901
02-21-2009, 12:57 AM

:smile: Agree

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2009, 01:01 AM
I for one would like to see the only White Sox World Series MVP in my lifetime end his career here. :bandance:He's the only White Sox WS MVP, period. They didn't give the award prior to 1955, and since the Sox lost the '59 series, they didn't get it then.

Red Barchetta
02-21-2009, 10:06 AM
He's the only White Sox WS MVP, period. They didn't give the award prior to 1955, and since the Sox lost the '59 series, they didn't get it then.

More reason to keep him. It would be great if he had another shot at the award...

spawn
02-21-2009, 10:16 AM
He's a professional, he plays hard, Gives 100%, and is never a distraction in the clubhouse. What's not to like? I'd love for him to end his career here. But it is a business. If he is traded or not resigned next year, I can guarantee he won't be trashing the Sox on the way out. He's a class act.

voodoochile
02-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I've said it before - I would like to see JD signed to another contract when this one expires. Relying exclusively on the young kids to take us to the next level is really pushing it and JD brings consistency and a great clubhouse demeanor to the team. He doesn't have to be strictly a DH either, he can platoon it and keep his legs fresh.

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I'd be happy with JD as DH exclusively after this season.

oeo
02-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I've said it before - I would like to see JD signed to another contract when this one expires. Relying exclusively on the young kids to take us to the next level is really pushing it and JD brings consistency and a great clubhouse demeanor to the team. He doesn't have to be strictly a DH either, he can platoon it and keep his legs fresh.

Plus, I'd rather not put any of the young guys at DH...seems like a waste of youth. If Fields, Viciedo, and Flowers all pan out, then keep them on the field. If Flowers can't handle catcher, move him to first base and Viciedo to the outfield.

guillensdisciple
02-21-2009, 01:21 PM
That is the one thing I enjoy about this White Sox organization more then any other one. When we like players, we truly show them the best side of our organization, and they show us the same respect back. I don't remember the last time the White Sox had a loyal team member who decided to test the free agent market before checking with the White Sox first or re-signing with us.

A good way to establish a winning atmosphere is by showing that you care about the players, good for the White Sox, and good for J.D.

I hope he stays as DH for as long as he wishes, well, at least until he is no longer able to produce.

jabrch
02-21-2009, 01:42 PM
He's the only White Sox WS MVP, period. They didn't give the award prior to 1955, and since the Sox lost the '59 series, they didn't get it then.

I'm not interested in JD due to his WS MVP. If it were just that, I'd be able to let go.

JD hit .292/.344/.541 last year. He is presumed to be clean. While his D has slipped, it's still somewhere close to average. He's a positive impact in the locker room and on our kids. JD helps this team in every way possible - not just based on what he did 3 years ago.

If we can work out a deal at a reasonable price, I'd be happy to see him stay here to finish out his career.

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm not interested in JD due to his WS MVP. If it were just that, I'd be able to let go.

JD hit .292/.344/.541 last year. He is presumed to be clean. While his D has slipped, it's still somewhere close to average. He's a positive impact in the locker room and on our kids. JD helps this team in every way possible - not just based on what he did 3 years ago.

If we can work out a deal at a reasonable price, I'd be happy to see him stay here to finish out his career.
Strongly disagree.

whitesox901
02-21-2009, 02:01 PM
to bad we couldn't sign him for one year after this season, then have it where at the end of the year we can pick up his option, then after that option year have the choice to pick up another option, then pick up another option at the end of the third season, and have it keep going like that

Konerko05
02-21-2009, 02:01 PM
I have a feeling Dye will be replacing Thome as the DH for the next couple seasons.

He still has a cannon for an arm, but his range is awful. He will be moving even slower by 2010. I also fear his whole body is going to break every time he dives for a ball.

HomeFish
02-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Remember the story that they printed when he first signed with the Sox?

It goes that after he promised KW that he would sign with us, another team came in and gave him a higher offer. But he turned them down, and then told his son the story as an example of how you should not break promises.

asindc
02-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Remember the story that they printed when he first signed with the Sox?

It goes that after he promised KW that he would sign with us, another team came in and gave him a higher offer. But he turned them down, and then told his son the story as an example of how you should not break promises.

This, combined with his exceptional play, is why he is my current favorite Sox player.

Red Barchetta
02-21-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a feeling Dye will be replacing Thome as the DH for the next couple seasons.

He still has a cannon for an arm, but his range is awful. He will be moving even slower by 2010. I also fear his whole body is going to break every time he dives for a ball.

Wan't there some previous discussion over JD potentially playing 1B (In the event Paulie was traded/etc.)? By discussion, I mean by the SOX brass, not necessarily WSI. :D:

soxfanreggie
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Would love to have him finish his career with us, but I think he's going to have to help us out by taking a "Hometown Discount" or a very incentive-laden deal.