PDA

View Full Version : "Oddsmakers" have us finishing tied for 3rd

WhiteSoxFan84
02-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Bodog has its "Odds to win [division]" out.

Here is the AL Central...
Twins - 1.75/1 (7/4)
Indians - 2/1
White Sox - 3.5/1 (7/2)
Tigers - 3.5/1 (7/2)
Royals - 15/1

My question to you guys is; are the Royals worth throwing $10-$100 on?

kjhanson
02-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Apparently, whatever book this was, they didn't want any money from the people in Minnesota. Sox paying 2:1 on the Twins to win the division is pretty good there.

Noneck
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Bodog has its "Odds to win [division]" out.

Here is the AL Central...
Twins - 1.75/1 (7/4)
Indians - 2/1
White Sox - 3.5/1 (7/2)
Tigers - 3.5/1 (7/2)
Royals - 15/1

My question to you guys is; are the Royals worth throwing $10-$100 on?

Looks like its worth a flier for me.

downstairs
02-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Apparently, whatever book this was, they didn't want any money from the people in Minnesota. Sox paying 2:1 on the Twins to win the division is pretty good there.

Bettors set the lines, not the book. Or, to be more precise, a book sets the line merely to even out bets.

Hence, more popular teams always have worse odds, and always seem like they're being "picked" to finish higher than you'd think.

Betting lines are in NO WAY an indication of how a team will do. Many people put money on the Cubs or Red Sox merely for fun. They're popular teams.

areilly
02-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Betting lines are in NO WAY an indication of how a team will do. Many people put money on the Cubs or Red Sox merely for fun. They're popular teams.

It often amazes me how many people don't understand this.

kjhanson
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Bettors set the lines, not the book. Or, to be more precise, a book sets the line merely to even out bets.

A better way of putting this would be to say a book sets the line and bettors move the line.

To your second point, which I did not quote, the Twins are not a very popular team, and are not subject to the initial "artificial value deflation" that the aforementioned Cubs and Red Sox are. I'm not sure how mature these odds are, but I would assume that the set line is not much different from the current line.

TDog
02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
A better way of putting this would be to say a book sets the line and bettors move the line.

To your second point, which I did not quote, the Twins are not a very popular team, and are not subject to the initial "artificial value deflation" that the aforementioned Cubs and Red Sox are. I'm not sure how mature these odds are, but I would assume that the set line is not much different from the current line.

But, of course, the original line is set in anticipation of people's betting preferences. A lot of people around the country pull for the Twins as a small market team that demonstrates some success. The White Sox, on the other hand, are a team that many people around the country wish ill will upon.

No one should ever mistake any betting line for a power ranking.

kittle42
02-20-2009, 01:12 PM
The White Sox, on the other hand, are a team that many people around the country wish ill will upon.

Really? I have yet to experience this hatred outside of AL Central cities, Milwaukee, and the Chicago market itself.

kaufsox
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
"The White Sox, on the other hand, are a team that many people around the country wish ill will upon." -- Tdog

I just don't see this, if anything there seems to be a general apathy toward the White Sox, as opposed to actively rooting against them like folks do to the Yankees and Red Sox.

chisox12
02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
The White Sox, on the other hand, are a team that many people around the country wish ill will upon.

I've never really seen this either. It may seem that way with all the attention the Cubs get, but we're in no way like Red Sox or Yankees where everyone wants us to lose.

Noneck
02-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Really? I have yet to experience this hatred outside of AL Central cities, Milwaukee, and the Chicago market itself.

I haven't seen it in Milwaukee, recently that is, going back to the days Milwaukee was in the AL, the hated ran deep tho.

HomeFish
02-20-2009, 03:58 PM
The Twins are widely respected by fans of the other 28 MLB franchises as the most consistently successful small-market team.

IlliniSox4Life
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Also, it may be a small distinction, but having the third best odds to win the division doesn't necessarily mean that we are being picked to finish third. It means we are considered the third most likely to win the division (If odds weren't selected to put even money on each side).

Eddo144
02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Also, it may be a small distinction, but having the third best odds to win the division doesn't necessarily mean that we are being picked to finish third. It means we are considered the third most likely to win the division (If odds weren't selected to put even money on each side).
Yeah, that's a good point. It could be that the Twins could pull it all together and win, but if certain things don't pan out, they'll finish in last. Think of the Tigers last year; if their acquisitions had worked out, they would have won the division. Since that didn't happen, they wound up in last.

TDog
02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
I haven't seen it in Milwaukee, recently that is, going back to the days Milwaukee was in the AL, the hated ran deep tho.

I stand by what I've seen while living in various places in Arizona (1979-1999), suburban Milwaukee (1999-2003), Alaska (2003-2006) and Northern California (2006 to date). A's fans hate the White Sox more than just about any other team, except maybe the Angels. Everywhere I've lived since I left the Chicago area, I have seen local sports anchors openly rooting for the White Sox to lose.

Listen to national sports talk shows, and you will probably never hear anything good said about the White Sox. In 1971, Look magazine did a story suggesting people supplement their income by betting against the White Sox, and that was before the Cubs became America's darlings.

Noneck
02-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I stand by what I've seen while living in various places in Arizona (1979-1999), suburban Milwaukee (1999-2003), Alaska (2003-2006) and Northern California (2006 to date). A's fans hate the White Sox more than just about any other team, except maybe the Angels. Everywhere I've lived since I left the Chicago area, I have seen local sports anchors openly rooting for the White Sox to lose.

Listen to national sports talk shows, and you will probably never hear anything good said about the White Sox. In 1971, Look magazine did a story suggesting people supplement their income by betting against the White Sox, and that was before the Cubs became America's darlings.

You may be right with the rest but maybe since you left Milwaukee in 2003 things have changed. The cubs rivalry with the brewers have given brewer fans a common bond with Sox fans. I was at a a Angels-Indians game at Miller in 07 and was warmly greeted wearing my Sox cap. I have also been up there for summerfest and have not heard any negative comments.

TDog
02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
You may be right with the rest but maybe since you left Milwaukee in 2003 things have changed. The cubs rivalry with the brewers have given brewer fans a common bond with Sox fans. I was at a a Angels-Indians game at Miller in 07 and was warmly greeted wearing my Sox cap. I have also been up there for summerfest and have not heard any negative comments.

My supervisor in Waukesha, who loathed the White Sox and now does so from Southern California, told me that he went to a Brewers game against the Sox that was so ugly they stopped selling beer after the second because of fights in the crowd. Older fans haven't forgotten those days, I'm sure. Younger fans are, at best, apathetic because they are too busy hating the Cubs. Cubs fans in Wisconsin, and there are many, still hate the White Sox.

Noneck
02-20-2009, 10:03 PM
My supervisor in Waukesha, who loathed the White Sox and now does so from Southern California, told me that he went to a Brewers game against the Sox that was so ugly they stopped selling beer after the second because of fights in the crowd. Older fans haven't forgotten those days, I'm sure. Younger fans are, at best, apathetic because they are too busy hating the Cubs. Cubs fans in Wisconsin, and there are many, still hate the White Sox.

I remember and have told stories here about the old days when the Sox played the brewers up there. I am sure hatred runs deep for the Sox for a few up there but most look at the Sox now as allies for their cubs hatred.

DumpJerry
02-20-2009, 10:41 PM
The Twins are widely respected by fans of the other 28 MLB franchises as the most consistently successful small-market team.
So, which franchise's fan base does not feel this way?

Where did you get this information from? The Twins' website?

rustysurf83
02-21-2009, 10:33 AM
From my experience the Sox are widely disliked in the Northwest. People just seem to loathe them for no apparent reason.:scratch:

MarySwiss
02-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Back to the odds. We just got back from Laughlin, where I checked three different sports book sheets. The best one (Riverside) had the Sox at 22-1 to win the series and 10-1 to win the ALCS. So we checked in, and I skipped happily down to place my bets--and the Sox had gone to 8-1 (WS) and 5-1 (ALCS).

DISAPPOINTED! :angry:

BTW, the Cubs were 3-1 to win the whole thing, so... .

soxwon
02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
14-8 april you heard it here first.

areilly
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
From my experience the Sox are widely disliked in the Northwest. People just seem to loathe them for no apparent reason.:scratch:

Maybe they're still mad about. . . um, crushing the Sox in 2000?

JC24
02-26-2009, 11:04 AM
The Twins are widely respected by fans of the other 28 MLB franchises as the most consistently successful small-market team.I hear that too, but we Twins fans.........well.......some of us anyway still call them the little train that could. The Twins always fail to make a move that can put them over the top (deadline deals) Most Twins fans are happy that the team just competes.

I remember 87 and 91 like it was yesterday. That as you sox fans remember is the greatest time. Winning the WS makes everyone feel great, if only temporary.

We'll see if the front office/ownership of the Twins change their way's next season when the new park opens, and it's supposed to bring in an extra 40 million or more per year.

Lines are set to get equal betting on both sides of the line.