PDA

View Full Version : Conversation On "Point After", Good One


kevingrt
05-25-2002, 05:11 PM
They had a conversation talking about what we do when inter-league play comes up, and Paulie and the Big Hurt have to switch off at 1B.

I don't think anyone called in and said this but I thought... We, as in the WhiteSox, should take out Royce, put Jose at SS, and move Paulie to 3B, and finally put Frank at 1B. As I remember, I thought Paulie use to play 3B, but I could be wrong.

You guys think this is a good idea, Love your comments!

doublem23
05-25-2002, 05:13 PM
Paul?

At third base?

*shudder*

Daver
05-25-2002, 05:24 PM
You're kidding right?

WinningUgly!
05-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Just put Frank at SS. He's big, nothing should get past him. :D:

WinningUgly!
05-25-2002, 09:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned, 1st base now belongs to Pauly. Frank should only be allowed to use his glove if Konerko gets hurt or gets the day off.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Just put Frank at SS. He's big, nothing should get past him. :D:

Actually, if we had Frank lay down, balls might bounce off him over to another fielder to make a put out. I could just see a ball hitting off of Frank and Manos tossing out Alou or someone.

Anyway, i agree 1B is Konerko's position. But i say go w/ the hot bat, if they are both hot, give it to konerko for his D.

doublem23
05-25-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Just put Frank at SS. He's big, nothing should get past him. :D:

Hey, in terms of range, he's not too far off from the oscilatiing fan we have there now...

:hitless
Be quiet! I'm trying to take more compromising photos of Jerry Manuel!

FoulkeTheIndians
05-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Which is scarier?

1) a lineup that includes both Royce Clayton and a pitcher

-or-

2) an infield that includes both Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko


Personally, I'd almost rather risk the defense and stick Frank in the lineup.

chisoxfanatic
05-25-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by FoulkeTheIndians
Which is scarier?

1) a lineup that includes both Royce Clayton and a pitcher

-or-

2) an infield that includes both Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko


Personally, I'd almost rather risk the defense and stick Frank in the lineup.

You've gotta remember that our pitchers outhit the Cub pitchers in that sweet sweep of 99! And even last year, Kip Wells made it to third, though left stranded. I think our pitchers know something those Cub pitchers don't know about hitting.

Heather the Redbird

baggio202
05-26-2002, 02:24 AM
lonerko on 3rd in the NL park...he would be bunted to death..i cant imagine pauly waddling in from 3rd fielding a bunt bare handed and throwing a guy out..thats freakin' scary..

i say just flip flop them...paul one day and frank the next....konerko has been hot as hell all year and thomas is just starting to heat up...so now that both guys are in a groove you couldnt sit either one for very long or you risk screwing them up... id hate to sit thomas after he just after he gets real hot then go back to AL games and see that he lost his stroke..or watch paulie go 0-19 after he gets back in the line up....make sure both guys get enough at bats in NL parks to stay sharp

Nellie_Fox
05-26-2002, 03:16 AM
defense, defense, defense.

ISUSoxfan
05-26-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
They had a conversation talking about what we do when inter-league play comes up, and Paulie and the Big Hurt have to switch off at 1B.

I don't think anyone called in and said this but I thought... We, as in the WhiteSox, should take out Royce, put Jose at SS, and move Paulie to 3B, and finally put Frank at 1B. As I remember, I thought Paulie use to play 3B, but I could be wrong.

You guys think this is a good idea, Love your comments!

Konerko has played 3rd before, and I agree with you, we should put him back there for the games at NL parks and move Jose to SS. Whatever we lose defensively at the corners will be made up for by having a real baseball player at SS for the first time since 2000.

Playing 3B is not that hard. A professional athelete like Konerko who has played there before should be able to handle it.

FanOf14
05-26-2002, 11:16 AM
If Konerko can keep batting the way he is, he deserves to be at first, but I think seniority is going to win that battle. Does anyone know where I can find defensive stats on players? I can't seem to find much of any anywhere.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!

doublem23
05-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
If Konerko can keep batting the way he is, he deserves to be at first, but I think seniority is going to win that battle. Does anyone know where I can find defensive stats on players? I can't seem to find much of any anywhere.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are this year's. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teamfieldstats?team=chw).

If you go to www.baseball-reference.com and look up a specific player, scroll down and they have his career fielding stats, too.

rmusacch
05-26-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
They had a conversation talking about what we do when inter-league play comes up, and Paulie and the Big Hurt have to switch off at 1B.

I don't think anyone called in and said this but I thought... We, as in the WhiteSox, should take out Royce, put Jose at SS, and move Paulie to 3B, and finally put Frank at 1B. As I remember, I thought Paulie use to play 3B, but I could be wrong.

You guys think this is a good idea, Love your comments!

I agree with this. They are only going to have 9 games where they have to worry about this. I think we should at least try it for a couple games just to see how it works.

rmusacch
05-26-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
If Konerko can keep batting the way he is, he deserves to be at first, but I think seniority is going to win that battle. Does anyone know where I can find defensive stats on players? I can't seem to find much of any anywhere.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to ESPN.com and click on the fielding tab under statistics under player profiles.

FanOf14
05-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks rmusacch and doublem23. I'll probably look tonight. mlb.com also had them, but it's hard to check them on that site since they include guys who've played one or two games at their perspective position.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!

CubKilla
05-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
As far as I'm concerned, 1st base now belongs to Pauly. Frank should only be allowed to use his glove if Konerko gets hurt or gets the day off.

Enough said.

bc2k
05-26-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
They had a conversation talking about what we do when inter-league play comes up, and Paulie and the Big Hurt have to switch off at 1B.

I don't think anyone called in and said this but I thought... We, as in the WhiteSox, should take out Royce, put Jose at SS, and move Paulie to 3B, and finally put Frank at 1B. As I remember, I thought Paulie use to play 3B, but I could be wrong.

You guys think this is a good idea, Love your comments!

Yeah I'd be real worried about finding a spot in the lineup for a guy hitting .270. And on top of that, making three infielders play out of position in the same infield with pinball machine Durham.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-27-2002, 07:57 AM
Let's face it, the Sox are the only A.L. line up that already features a pitcher in the #9 slot.

Just go with the everyday line up and put Royce on the bump.

:)

SOXSINCE'70
05-27-2002, 08:37 AM
Me personally,I sit Carlos "The Butcher" Lee and play Konerko in Left.Jeez,i'm hoping Rowand can somehow get a few AB's against the sCrUBS.