Fenway
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Today marks the anniversary of Harry's passing in 1998

We here at WSI know his best Chicago years were on 35th St

jB4Ta22BWA8

#1swisher
02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Great find Fenway, no one sang it better than Harry! :gulp:
It's the 11th Annual World Wide Toast To Harry at 7pm your time.

jamokes
02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
He had fun!:bandance:

Frontman
02-19-2009, 08:37 PM
He had fun!:bandance:

He made the game fun, for both sides of town. He just hung on too long and should of retired instead of becoming a joke of himself. I like to remember his days with the Sox and his early days with the Cubs. Those were fun broadcasts to listen to.

Here's to you Harry. Good times all around!!!

JohnnyInnsbrook
02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I like the part when he sang "Root Root Root for the White Sox!!!!" :rolleyes:

whitesox901
02-19-2009, 09:02 PM
only knew him as a Cubs broadcaster, love the retro video

Frontman
02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
only knew him as a Cubs broadcaster, love the retro video

Harry and Jimmy Piersal were just a great listen on TV.

Bucky F. Dent
02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
God love him. Harry was the best!

PaleHoser
02-19-2009, 11:08 PM

Indeed. It cracked me up to hear them share stories about paying alimony. Oh to have been a fly on the wall in that booth between innings.

Fenway
02-19-2009, 11:15 PM
God love him. Harry was the best!

JR and EE pushing Harry out the door was one of the biggest blunders in franchise history.

They wanted to distance the franchise from all things Veeck and it backfired.

I have also thought that the White Sox then at least should have gone for Milo Hamilton.

We have debated the Sportsvision fiasco to death. Einhorn had the right idea but was 5 years too early. The city had to be wired for cable first and the ONTV setup was ridiculously expensive for 1982. Throw in the fact that Cubs had every game on free TV and it was a recipe for disaster.

To be fair Einhorn was stuck as no station in town wanted a full slate of Sox games.

TornLabrum
02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
I loved Harry during his years with the Sox, and especially his teaming with Jimmy Piersall. I just wish he'd have learned the lyrics to the damn song....

white sox bill
02-20-2009, 07:34 AM
1980 seems like the Dark Age in this Digital age. Thanks Fenway for posting. Shame the other team commercialized Harry. Or should I say bastardized him

areilly
02-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Enemy territory aside, I really liked Harry and Stone's Cubs broadcasts when I was a kid. I can only wonder how good he was in his prime.

This Bud's for you, Harry. And this Falstaff, if I can ever find one.

:gulp:

russ99
02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Enemy territory aside, I really liked Harry and Stone's Cubs broadcasts when I was a kid. I can only wonder how good he was in his prime.

This Bud's for you, Harry. And this Falstaff, if I can ever find one.

:gulp:

Sadly, Falstaff closed their factory and shut down in the late 70's, well before I was of age. But I'm told it was nothing to write home about. :D:

Here's to you Harry! Thanks for many great years of Southside baseball on TV and radio, and many shared games in the CF bleachers at Old Comiskey that one glorious summer.

Many of us remember you as a great broadcaster who represented the fans and told things as they were - instead of the marketing tool they turned you into on the North Side.

ohiosoxfan
02-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for that walk down memory lane. . . it really brings back the feeling as to how much fun that old ballpark was.

oldcomiskey
02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
JR and EE pushing Harry out the door was one of the biggest blunders in franchise history.

They wanted to distance the franchise from all things Veeck and it backfired.

I have also thought that the White Sox then at least should have gone for Milo Hamilton.

We have debated the Sportsvision fiasco to death. Einhorn had the right idea but was 5 years too early. The city had to be wired for cable first and the ONTV setup was ridiculously expensive for 1982. Throw in the fact that Cubs had every game on free TV and it was a recipe for disaster.

To be fair Einhorn was stuck as no station in town wanted a full slate of Sox games.
According to Steve Stones book on Harry, Milo couldve had the job but such a tailhole towards Harry that he was let go. Milo was promised the number one job and when it was given to Harry, Milo freaked. According to Stoney anyway

Lip Man 1
02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Here you go:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3133

Lip

chisox77
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the video, Fenway.

Sorry to say, I was never a big fan of Harry's. It's one thing to be honest and point out the faults of a team. It's another thing to keep it up, over and over again. No doubt, he and Jimmy Piersall were gold in terms of entertainment. But to me, even at the time, their negativity was grating. If I was an owner, determined to start a new direction, as well as a new path to winning, I may have been tempted to make changes regarding the broadcast team. Could any of you bare to have Harry (or Jimmy, or both)work for you? Consider their massive egos, and all that goes with it. This happens all the time in business - for a reason.

:cool:

SoxGirl4Life
02-20-2009, 02:32 PM

Those were my formative baseball years. I learned the game listening to those two and Jimmy Piersal was a blast.

Cheers Harry!

ode to veeck
02-20-2009, 06:57 PM

best sox team ever

oldcomiskey
02-21-2009, 09:03 AM
best sox team ever

youre right Lip as usual and I lead folks to believe that Hamilton took the sox job away from Harry.