PDA

View Full Version : Cubs ticket lottery

kittle42
02-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Anyone else here want to admit to picking up a wristband yesterday or today? One of my favorite moments of fandom was being on the cover of the Trib in 1997 or 1998 in full Sox gear as the first person to get tickets that year. I think I said something to the effect of getting my Cubs/Sox tickets was priority 1, and scalping to Cubs fans was priority 2, but don't recall what I was quoted as. I've never had awrestband number anywhere close enough to justify standing in line since.

In any event, much better system than the Sox have in place, but of course that has to do with demand, as well.

soxfan21
02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I still say that they do it the old fashioned way and wait in line for tickets. I know that there would be a lot of morons there taking a week off of work or something and waiting til the windows open, but if they want the tickets that bad then they deserve to get them I suppose. The whole wristband idea is alright but if I was the first person to get a wristband and my number didnt get called til 1,000th or something I would be upset. But then again I am a sox fan first and foremost and could careless what the cubs do.

BainesHOF
02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm about to head down there for a wristband. Does anyone know from experience about how many people are sold tickets from 8 to 10 a.m. Friday before ticket sales open online? I'd like to know if it's worth going to the park once the number is drawn.

beasly213
02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm about to head down there for a wristband. Does anyone know from experience about how many people are sold tickets from 8 to 10 a.m. Friday before ticket sales open online? I'd like to know if it's worth going to the park once the number is drawn.

Not sure but last year I was able to get 4 Cubs/Sox Bleacher tix online. They have a virtual waiting room where people get pulled. Its all luck just like the wristbands. If you don't live close to Wrigley its not worth going all the way out there for.

kittle42
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM

If you are not within the first 1,000 numbers following the number drawn at 6 a.m. tomorrow, it is not worth going to stand in line.

#1swisher
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Anyone else here want to admit to picking up a wristband yesterday or today? One of my favorite moments of fandom was being on the cover of the Trib in 1997 or 1998 in full Sox gear as the first person to get tickets that year. I think I said something to the effect of getting my Cubs/Sox tickets was priority 1, and scalping to Cubs fans was priority 2, but don't recall what I was quoted as. I've never had awrestband number anywhere close enough to justify standing in line since.

In any event, much better system than the Sox have in place, but of course that has to do with demand, as well.

I'll admit to thinking about it.

BainesHOF
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
The wristband line was very well run today. Got there at 3 p.m. and got wristband #9676. You had to show two forms of ID. Then they wrote your wristband number on your ticket form, and inputted your name and number and maybe some other ID info into a computer.

The ticket form couldn't be more clear. The back featured plenty of info to answer any questions you might have about the sale. You bring the form to the sale Friday.

kittle42
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
The wristband line was very well run today. Got there at 3 p.m. and got wristband #9676. You had to show two forms of ID. Then they wrote your wristband number on your ticket form, and inputted your name and number and maybe some other ID info into a computer.

The ticket form couldn't be more clear. The back featured plenty of info to answer any questions you might have about the sale. You bring the form to the sale Friday.

They've run it really well the last 3-4 years.

soxfan21
02-20-2009, 09:32 AM
So is anyone in the virtual waiting room today?

thegooch
02-20-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm in there. Trying to get the Tuesday night cubs-sox game. I don't like my chances.

kittle42
02-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Screw the virtual waiting room - I already got 4 bleachers for Tues. night Sox/Cubs, and 2 each for Wed. and Thurs. afternoon. Hail to the wristband lottery!

Scottiehaswheels
02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Damn, I almost forgot free money day again. :D:

twentywontowin
02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
http://frontline.purchasenow2.tickets.com/buy/MLBEventInfo?orgid=5&agency=MLB&trxstate=8

Change it from purchasenow2 to purchasenow3, skips the waiting room.

Good luck!

esbrechtel
02-20-2009, 09:57 AM
no more having 100 windows opening trying to get a game?

It's Dankerific
02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
http://frontline.purchasenow2.tickets.com/buy/MLBEventInfo?orgid=5&agency=MLB&trxstate=8

Good luck!

tried that, they must have fixed it.

esbrechtel
02-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Good luck!

howd you figure that out?

esbrechtel
02-20-2009, 10:19 AM
doesnt work anymore...still cant get tickets...

billnahorodny
02-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I just got 2 upper deck for Tuesday night

twentywontowin
02-20-2009, 10:28 AM
howd you figure that out?

Working in IT pays off.

But now it started to kick me back into the waiting room.

SoxFan78
02-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I got in using the purchasenow 3, but i couldnt get 6 tickets, then it just kicked me out

thegooch
02-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I also got through for two for the tuesday night cubs-sox game. Crappy UD.

WHILEPITCH
02-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I also got through for two for the tuesday night cubs-sox game. Crappy UD.

better than my current zero

Foulke You
02-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Ah yes. A right of Spring for me. Watching 30 tickets.com windows refresh in the Virtual Waiting Room in a futile attempt to get crosstown series tickets.

Rocky Soprano
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Scored 6 tickets, all together, for Wednesday's game!
:bandance:

thegooch
02-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Just got through for two for the wednesday cubs-sox game too. I'm feeling lucky today. Might as well play the lotto while I'm at it.

Foulke You
02-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I hate all of you that got tickets.:redneck

esbrechtel
02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I dont know why I make the effort every year....Ive been to a few sox/cubs games at Wrigley Field I always want to go at the begining of the season....

However, if I ever go to hell it will be just like my experience there when the Sox are losing....

twentywontowin
02-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I hit six bleachers for the Wed Sox game, and six bleachers for opening day. Selling them to the sheep will pay for my Vegas trip.

Rocky Soprano
02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I hit six bleachers for the Wed Sox game, and six bleachers for opening day. Selling them to the sheep will pay for my Vegas trip.

It would only let me buy 1 bleacher ticket at a time, you got lucky!

Foulke You
02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I got through! 3 upper deck seats for the Wednesday game! I can't believe I finally scored some crosstown tickets and it only took me 80 minutes!!:D:

spiffie
02-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Seems like tickets are selling a lot slower this year. I got in for the two crosstown day games, but I fear my other purchases might not make back nearly as much money. Perhaps even the mighty Cubs are feeling an economic pinch?

It's Dankerific
02-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Seems like tickets are selling a lot slower this year. I got in for the two crosstown day games, but I fear my other purchases might not make back nearly as much money. Perhaps even the mighty Cubs are feeling an economic pinch?

I wouldnt worry about that just yet. Since the VWR is bottlenecking the sales, they are controlling the flow. If you could easily get through and get tickets, thats another thing.

The Critic
02-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Their propaganda machine states that all is well, but it's 11:30 already and no games are listed as sellouts yet.
That's unusual as far as I remember.

I'm just trying to get tickets to one game on the weekend of my wife's birthday, but the Virtual Waiting Room is making me wait virtually forever.

WHILEPITCH
02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
after years of failing at this (well not having my act together)

i finally got a bunch of windows going and scored some.

Rocky Soprano
02-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Is anyone still waiting for the confirmation email with the purchase details or am I the only one?

beasly213
02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
I had 2 in section 403 row 3 for Wednesday Cubs/Sox. After putting my credit card in right before hitting submit I thought of...

-The Pain in the ass that is getting to Wrigley Field
-The Obnoxious People there both Cubs and Sox fans
-Taking a day off of work
-Having to deal with morons shouting how "SOX SUXXX"
-Paying $60.00 for an upper deck ticket.
-The Smell
-After going every year for the past few years and knowing its not all that great.

I decided to click out of the screen and not purchase the tickets.

I do not regret my decision.

WHILEPITCH
02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Is anyone still waiting for the confirmation email with the purchase details or am I the only one?

with ya.

they said something about march though, being the earliest one could print tickets

It's Dankerific
02-20-2009, 11:48 AM
VWR says Cubs-Sox, Opening Day and july11 cardinals sold out. I dont know how much more resale opportunities are left.

WHILEPITCH
02-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I had 2 in section 403 row 3 for Wednesday Cubs/Sox. After putting my credit card in right before hitting submit I thought of...

-The Pain in the ass that is getting to Wrigley Field
-The Obnoxious People there both Cubs and Sox fans
-Taking a day off of work
-Having to deal with morons shouting how "SOX SUXXX"
-Paying $60.00 for an upper deck ticket.
-The Smell
-After going every year for the past few years and knowing its not all that great.

I decided to click out of the screen and not purchase the tickets.

I do not regret my decision.

i was at that point and clicked yes. now i'm regretting.

SoxFan78
02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
I ended up getting 6 upper deck for the Cubs/Sox Wednesday game and 2 for the 7/8 game vs. the Braves. Why 7/8? Im going to try and pull off the Cubs/Sox day/night double header. Sox play later that night against the Indians.

kobo
02-20-2009, 12:08 PM
VWR says Cubs-Sox, Opening Day and july11 cardinals sold out. I dont know how much more resale opportunities are left.
Brewers series over 4th of July would be a good opportunity.

Sad
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM

these are usually slow the day their tickets go onsale...
you may get it late tonight or later in the weekend IIRC from years past...

Sad
02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Brewers series over 4th of July would be a good opportunity.

I'm targeting games vs. the Brewers 7/3 and again 9/17...

SOXfnNlansing
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
no more Sox games left

kittle42
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Their propaganda machine states that all is well, but it's 11:30 already and no games are listed as sellouts yet.
That's unusual as far as I remember.

11 games now sold out. Guess they were just a little slow this year!

Scottiehaswheels
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Ah well.. no free money friday for me this year... :(:

soxfanreggie
02-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Have two windows open to help a friend. They have been up for 2.5 hours, but neither has been called.

thegooch
02-20-2009, 01:05 PM
It's easier for non-season ticket holders to get tix to the urinal to see the cubs vs. sox than it is to get tickets to the cell.

I understand and appreciate the rationale of rewarding White Sox season ticket holders. This fact just struck me as I bought tickets this morning.

all*star quentin
02-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Have two windows open to help a friend. They have been up for 2.5 hours, but neither has been called.

for single game tix

800-843-2827 in state

866-652-2827 out of state

Foulke You
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
It's easier for non-season ticket holders to get tix to the urinal to see the cubs vs. sox than it is to get tickets to the cell.

I understand and appreciate the rationale of rewarding White Sox season ticket holders. This fact just struck me as I bought tickets this morning.
That thought crossed my mind too. I haven't been able to buy crosstown tickets directly from the Sox since 2004. I realize the whole STH perk thing too but I miss the days of being able to at least have a *chance* to get them online. They have consistently been sold out before tickets even went on sale for the last 4 years.

soxfanreggie
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
I wasn't saying I was upset that it wasn't picked. Personally, I could care less if I didn't get picked. When I did get in, it's funny, as all I received for any game was a notice that "We're sorry, due to a high number of request...blah, blah, blah...please try again."

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I wasn't saying I was upset that it wasn't picked. Personally, I could care less if I didn't get picked. When I did get in, it's funny, as all I received for any game was a notice that "We're sorry, due to a high number of request...blah, blah, blah...please try again."

I got that message too. I kept hitting the "continue" button until it let me actually buy the tickets. If they weren't part of my mom's 50th birthday present, I wouldn't have even bothered trying for any tickets since I won't be in town for the Crosstown games. But she's a Cubs fan, so I'm going to the Dodgers game on May 31 with her.

rustysurf83
02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I would like to see what percentage of people get called in x amount of time. I had twelve computers open in the lab at work and didn't get called before the game for 6/16 was sold out. Guess I'll have to ****ing browse ebay/craigslist/scalpers now, bull****.

soxfan21
02-21-2009, 12:43 PM
That thought crossed my mind too. I haven't been able to buy crosstown tickets directly from the Sox since 2004. I realize the whole STH perk thing too but I miss the days of being able to at least have a *chance* to get them online. They have consistently been sold out before tickets even went on sale for the last 4 years.

If you wait til the day before the game you want to go to, there are usually some upper deck tickets available.

soxfanreggie
02-21-2009, 01:13 PM
My friend waited four hours to get Cubs-Indians tickets and when she finally got through the process, they weren't available. She finally got Cubs-Braves tickets after hitting continue about 10 times.

StillMissOzzie
02-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I ended up getting 6 upper deck for the Cubs/Sox Wednesday game and 2 for the 7/8 game vs. the Braves. Why 7/8? Im going to try and pull off the Cubs/Sox day/night double header. Sox play later that night against the Indians.

Last year, the boy-child and I did this for Elvis Night at USCF, which also happened to be a day game at the Urinal. I thought it was well worth the effort.

SMO
:gulp:

kittle42
02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Last year, the boy-child and I did this for Elvis Night at USCF, which also happened to be a day game at the Urinal. I thought it was well worth the effort.

A large group of friends and I have done it the past two seasons, twice last year. Always a good time, despite the fact that, judging by the behavior in the Sox bleachers for the night game, many others appear to have had the same plans!