PDA

View Full Version : Flowers the fallback plan?

JermaineDye05
02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
per the Suntimes blog: Ozzie said that if AJ gets hurt, Flowers will be the catcher.

If Pierzynski - who has proven to be the ultimate iron man for a catcher since arriving on the South Side in 2005 - does get hurt, however, manager Ozzie Guillen said there is a plan. It might not be a good one, but there is a plan.
"I think Mr. Flowers will be our catcher ... right now, right now,'' Guillen said, referring to highly-regarded prospect Tyler Flowers.I'm not sure what to think, I was under the impression he needs more seasoning in the minors especially with his defense.

Link (http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/02/spring_camp_day_4.html)

DirtySox
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I've read the same thing in regards to his catching ability in a few places since spring training started. I'd rather see Cole Armstrong given a shot if AJ goes down so Flowers can get his minor league seasoning.

Also, someone needs to find a picture of the supposed T-Flow tattoo on his arm. If he really has that inked I might have a new hero.

Jenks4Prez
02-19-2009, 02:50 PM
T-Flow is an animal.

Carolina Kenny
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
If Flowers fail, you can always try Candy.

doublem23
02-19-2009, 03:02 PM

:thumbsup: :rolling:

hi im skot
02-19-2009, 03:26 PM
T-Flow is an animal.

Oh no.

gogo59
02-19-2009, 03:27 PM
The Trib piece today -- and I've seen this elsewhere -- refers to Chris Stewart and Corky Miller as the competitors for the backup position behind AJ. Armstrong had a great month offensively in the AFL last year, and held his own splitting last season between AA and AAA. What is his flaw that puts him behind Stewart and Miller for the backup job, or is it just that they want to give him another year of seasoning in the minors rather than sitting on the bench in the majors?

spawn
02-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Also, someone needs to find a picture of the supposed T-Flow tattoo on his arm. If he really has that inked I might have a new hero.

T-Flow is an animal.
T-Flow? Really? What, is the guy on his period or something? :shrug:

thedudeabides
02-19-2009, 03:46 PM
The Trib piece today -- and I've seen this elsewhere -- refers to Chris Stewart and Corky Miller as the competitors for the backup position behind AJ. Armstrong had a great month offensively in the AFL last year, and held his own splitting last season between AA and AAA. What is his flaw that puts him behind Stewart and Miller for the backup job, or is it just that they want to give him another year of seasoning in the minors rather than sitting on the bench in the majors?

Like AJ, he bats left handed. He did have a good AFL, but wasn't a really highly touted prospect prior to that. Plus he's Canadian.

whitesox901
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM

:D: :kneeslap:

Daver
02-19-2009, 08:16 PM
per the Suntimes blog: Ozzie said that if AJ gets hurt, Flowers will be the catcher.

I'm not sure what to think, I was under the impression he needs more seasoning in the minors especially with his defense.

The White Sox haven't relied on defense from the catcher position for a few years, why worry about it now? The White Sox build teams based on offense, which might be why they manage to win it all every 88 years or so.

KyWhiSoxFan
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Like AJ, he bats left handed. He did have a good AFL, but wasn't a really highly touted prospect prior to that. Plus he's Canadian.

I like Armstrong a lot more than Stewart or Miller. Armstrong had a very good spring training last year, put in a solid year at AA before moving up to
Charlotte two-thirds of the way through the season, where he batted .275. I think he'll make a strong run at backup.

The fact that he bats LF does not bother me. The fact he hits so well in Arizona, however, makes wonder if he just likes it there. He hit 7 HRs in 138 ABs in AAA and then hit 7 HRs in 97 ABs in the AFL. Maybe he'd be a good fit for D-backs.