PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better defensive pitcher then Mark Buehrle?


RedPinStripes
05-25-2002, 04:15 PM
I don't think so in the AL at least. It would be nice to see him get a gold glove.

Garrison
05-25-2002, 04:21 PM
I agree. They always talk about how good he is defensively and you do notice it also. He's always quick off the mound and has good reflexes. He doesn't just wave at balls hit at him like most pitchers do. He has got to be one of the top defensive pitchers in the AL, if not the best. I haven't seen many others make plays that he has.

voodoochile
05-25-2002, 04:31 PM
I've thought so for a while. He was the first pitcher I ever noticed who could make a serious difference with his defense.

Chisox_cali
05-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Who won it last year? I wanna say it was Mussina, but I could be wrong.

But I agree, I hope he does get a gold glove this year.

CubKilla
05-25-2002, 04:47 PM
That play he made last night in the 4th inning (I think) was sweet. Not only did he jump up and knock the ball down, but he didn't lose his composure when the ball slipped out of his hand and rush a bad throw. Instead, he picked up the ball and fired a bullet to Paulie for the out.

FYI: Mark Prior is so good he's going to win Rookie of the Year, the Cy Young Award (they'll rename it the Mark Prior Prize soon after), and the Gold Glove in both the NL and AL. They'll use interleague play as an excuse to give the Messiah both awards.

GASHWOUND
05-25-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I don't think so in the AL at least. It would be nice to see him get a gold glove.

Yeah, he made a couple great snaps on the mound, especially the st one where he slid is leg like a hockey goalie to snag that one ball. He's in prime defense position when he releases the ball, like Maddux. Their not falling off the mound or anythig and are facing the hitter and are able to catch anythinghit to 'em. Or just be in position to do so.

KruseControl04
05-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Mark Buehrle is the greatest!

doublem23
05-25-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Who won it last year? I wanna say it was Mussina, but I could be wrong.

But I agree, I hope he does get a gold glove this year.

Yes, Mussina has won 5 of the last 6 Gold Gloves (http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/gold_glove_al.shtml).

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-25-2002, 11:37 PM
mark said on tv that he attributed his D to that he used to be goalie in hockey and that it is instinct for him to stick his glove or legs out to try and stop the ball. i hope he wins the gold glove too.

chisoxfanatic
05-26-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
That play he made last night in the 4th inning (I think) was sweet. Not only did he jump up and knock the ball down, but he didn't lose his composure when the ball slipped out of his hand and rush a bad throw. Instead, he picked up the ball and fired a bullet to Paulie for the out.

That, and he also made a spectacular diving catch on a bunt right in front of home plate in the very same game! Impressive. Nothing gets past this guy! He's the savior, NOT Prior!

Heather the Redbird

WinningUgly!
05-26-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
mark said on tv that he attributed his D to that he used to be goalie in hockey and that it is instinct for him to stick his glove or legs out to try and stop the ball. i hope he wins the gold glove too.

Kirk McCaskill used to say the same thing. He was pretty good defensively, just couldn't pitch worth a *****! :D:

baggio202
05-26-2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


Kirk McCaskill used to say the same thing. He was pretty good defensively, just couldn't pitch worth a *****! :D:

you said kirk mccaskill...lol

buehrle finishes his delivery in the perfect position to field a ball hit back at him..some of these guys are so off balance when the finish from trying to throw so hard its a miracle they havent been killed by a line drive...its nice to see a guy really pitch...field his position...know how to hold runners on to give his catcher a great chance to get that assist and pick guys off...mark buehrle does everything a pitcher can do to perfection!!!

Nellie_Fox
05-26-2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
some of these guys are so off balance when the finish from trying to throw so hard its a miracle they havent been killed by a line driveI remember Don Drysdale saying about Britt Burns: "I don't expect the young man to win a gold glove, I just want him to be able to defend himself out there."