PDA

View Full Version : Pudge Rodriguez

NLaloosh
02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm not a huge fan of his but I don't think anyone can make an argument that the Sox signing him for a salary near the minimum for 1 year wouldn't help the Sox win some games over what they currently have to backup A.J.

I find it amazing that there seems to be no interest. Sure, he's not close to the same player that he was but on both sides of the ball he's better than any backup currently on the roster. Why not sign him?

whitesox901
02-18-2009, 08:05 PM
well we would have both of the Pudge catchers :D:

guillensdisciple
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I would do it if he had no problem with the reduced pay and reduced playing time. I think we have had a thread of this ilk already, so this idea is nothing new.

Rocky Soprano
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
There is only ONE "Pudge."

johnnyg83
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I hate him but for he right price he seems to fit some needs.

Daver
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM

I agree with this, and I would rather not have Ivan Rodriguez working with a young pitching staff.

Zisk77
02-18-2009, 09:10 PM
i don't think Irod wants to back up anyone.

johnnyg83
02-18-2009, 09:25 PM
what Irod want and Irod get ...

WhiteSox1989
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
His name isn't Pudge.

Also his ego is too large.

Domeshot17
02-18-2009, 10:31 PM
He'll sign somewhere and atleast platoon. No way does he sign here to play in 30-40 games. The only way it would make sense if he was going to split time between backing up Catcher, First and DH but even then, I would rather not have I-Roid on the team.

Huisj
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Maybe he be the answer at 2B. He's got a career 1.000 fielding percentage there, and he helped carry the Tigers into the world series there.

pmck003
02-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I really don't see enough playing time for both AJ and Ivan to be happy. I think Nomar could be helpful as a utility/mentor type guy, especially since he seems to want limited playing time, but I wouldn't necessarly argue for him on the roster over a younger guy.

pmck003
02-19-2009, 12:15 AM
I really don't see enough playing time for both AJ and Ivan to be happy. I think Nomar could be helpful as a utility/mentor type guy, especially since he seems to want limited playing time, but I wouldn't necessarly argue for him on the roster over a younger guy.

cards press box
02-19-2009, 01:16 AM

If the Sox did not have Wilson Betimit, Nomar Garciaparra might make some sense, as he could back up at 1B and 3B and provide a right handed bat of the bench. As the Sox do have Betimit, however, they probably are not interested in Garciaparra unless: (a) Fields has a terrible spring and (b) the Sox conclude that Viciedo is not ready. In that case, Garciaparra might provide a necessary stop gap.

sullythered
02-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Very, very true. And though the one I acknowledge didn't sign autographs, he also did not take PEDs.

A-Roid can stay in De-toillette.

Bucky F. Dent
02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Merkin debunked this rumor in a recent blog post. Gotta love the fact that Merkin writes full length stories for the MLB site and does what has been so far a daily blog.

cws05champ
02-19-2009, 09:17 AM
I agree with this, and I would rather not have Ivan Rodriguez working with a young pitching staff.

Agreed...Irod is only worried about his offensive stats and throwing runners out. Not necessarily calling the right pitches for these developing pitchers. He is notorious for calling pitches that allow him to throw runners out instead of what is best for the situation.

SOXSINCE'70
02-19-2009, 10:54 AM

:pudge

"Damn straight."

Paulwny
02-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I 'd think AJ would be upset with sharing catching duties with IRod since AJ receives a salary increase for games he starts in excess of 100.

NLaloosh
02-20-2009, 03:58 AM
I would think that IRod would be thrllled to get a major league job catching about 30 games and doing a little DHing and pinch-hitting as opposed to not having a job at all.

Ziggy S
02-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Here's why no one wants to sign him.

TYPE A FREE AGENT!

Got that? Good, move on.

NLaloosh
02-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Is he a Type A ?

If he is a Type A then I must have forgotten and that's clearly why he has no job and the Sox obviously should pass in that case.

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 12:50 AM

TYPE A FREE AGENT!

Got that? Good, move on.
You are wrong.

PalehosePlanet
02-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Is he a Type A ?

If he is a Type A then I must have forgotten and that's clearly why he has no job and the Sox obviously should pass in that case.

No, he's a type B.

soxfanreggie
02-21-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't want him here if avoidable. I would rather sign LoDuca or someone cheaper.

jabrch
02-21-2009, 02:49 PM
The Yanks offered him arbitration? I can't imagine why they would have - and if so, why he wouldn't have accepted it. 80% of 12mm is 9.6mm. There's no way he'd get that for 2 years right now, much less for one year.

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 02:55 PM
The Yanks offered him arbitration? I can't imagine why they would have - and if so, why he wouldn't have accepted it. 80% of 12mm is 9.6mm. There's no way he'd get that for 2 years right now, much less for one year.
For us it shouldn't matter if they offered him arbitration, he's type B. Also, I doubt they did, as they didn't even offer it to Abreu.

NLaloosh
02-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Ok. He's a TYPE B. The Yanks did NOT offer him arbitration. No team has shown any interest in him other than the Marlins for a minor league deal.

I'm pretty sure that a major league deal is better than a minor one. While I'm well aware of IRod's issues, once again, he is a much better option for the Sox this year than any candidate the Sox currently have.

The Sox need a RH catcher and a better defensive backup and a better offensive backup than what they have. Also, he's a good candidate as an occasional DH, PH or PR.

And, he would be CHEAP. The Sox could probably get him at or near the minimum.

If A.J. goes down in May for the season of a long stretch who do you want to catch 100 or more games for the Sox ?

Stewart, Miller, Armstrong or IRod ?

jabrch
02-21-2009, 03:16 PM
If A.J. goes down in May for the season of a long stretch who do you want to catch 100 or more games for the Sox ?

Stewart, Miller, Armstrong or IRod ?

Rodriguez hit .219/.257/.323 for the Yanks last year. I can't say for sure I would rather have him than the other guys - as I haven't seen enough of them to say.

That said, I don't see KW/JR associating themselves with this guy right now. I'd bet you he's somewhere on the list of 103. Not the PR that the Sox want for a guy who is not likely to help the club much.

Craig Grebeck
02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Rodriguez his .219/.257/.323 for the Yanks last year. I can't say for sure I would rather have him than the other guys - as I haven't seen enough of them to say.

That said, I don't see KW/JR associating themselves with this guy right now. I'd be you he's somewhere on the list of 103. Not the PR that the Sox want for a guy who is not likely to help the club much.
Well that's complete bull****. Why don't you use a smaller sample size jabrch?

He hit that in 96 AB. With the Tigers in over 300 AB, he put up a line of .295/.338/.417.

If you don't actually know whether or not Ivan Rodriguez would help this team more than Corky Miller, Chris Stewart, or Cole Armstrong, I've got nothing for you.

dickallen15
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Rodriguez hit .219/.257/.323 for the Yanks last year. I can't say for sure I would rather have him than the other guys - as I haven't seen enough of them to say.

That said, I don't see KW/JR associating themselves with this guy right now. I'd bet you he's somewhere on the list of 103. Not the PR that the Sox want for a guy who is not likely to help the club much.

Yet KW trades for and hypes Tyler Flowers, a guy who a couple years ago sat out 50 games for PEDs. Ozzie is buddies with Rodriquez. I think if he was up to being a back-up, he'd probably be with the Sox right now.

NLaloosh
02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Some good points are made here:

1. Yes, taking playing ability only into account, IRod is a better option than the Sox current backups.

2. IRod probably being tainted with the "103" is probably a factor in his availability.

3. IRod may feel that he won't get enough PT with the Sox to want to sign with them and they may not want to sign him for fear of having a discontented player.

4. Apparently, other teams must feel the way the Sox do because he still has no offer from any team while he still clearly has some ability left.

It should be interesting to see what happens with him. I think the Sox will probably go with Stewart and that may turn out well if his defense is really good and he can shut down some of the running games.

Oblong
02-26-2009, 06:16 PM
I have no idea who the Sox backup catcher is or who is in the minors but I'm fairly certain that guy is better than Rodriguez would be. The guy just plain sucks now. He's not great with a pitching staff, has a weak bat, and is a bit of a jerk in the clubhouse.

An AP writer looked him up and asked if he was one of the 103 names. "Only God knows." was his answer.

The Immigrant
02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
An AP writer looked him up and asked if he was one of the 103 names. "Only God knows." was his answer.

:rolling:

Zisk77
02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
I have no idea who the Sox backup catcher is or who is in the minors but I'm fairly certain that guy is better than Rodriguez would be. The guy just plain sucks now. He's not great with a pitching staff, has a weak bat, and is a bit of a jerk in the clubhouse.

So irod is a fan of Kid Rock :cool:

LongLiveFisk
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Translation: YES.

John Barrett
02-27-2009, 12:28 AM

there is a thing called the internet with rosters and team sites.....:dtroll:

DumpJerry
02-27-2009, 12:29 AM
there is a thing called the internet with rosters and team sites.....:dtroll:
This is at least the third poster you've called a troll tonight.

Stop it. Really.

John Barrett
02-27-2009, 12:29 AM

TYPE A FREE AGENT!

Got that? Good, move on.
but not when it comes to facts.... nice sig....:dtroll:

DumpJerry
02-27-2009, 12:34 AM
but not when it comes to facts.... nice sig....:dtroll:
You made this post at the same time I told you to stop, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you did not see my post.

Sad
02-27-2009, 12:56 PM
So irod is a fan of Kid Rock :cool:

that's strike 3 in my book...