PDA

View Full Version : The Cuban Pimp

DirtySox
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
From Garfien's Blog (http://csnchicago.com/pages/landing_soxdrawer/?Sox-Drawer-Mystery-Man-Dayan-Viciedo-Arr=1&blockID=40648&feedID=665).

Does that end the nickname discussion?

DumpJerry
02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Sounds like Garfien has a man crush on him......

oeo
02-18-2009, 06:25 PM
That photo makes him look like he has a nub for a right arm.

sox1970
02-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Based on that hitting video, looks like Walt Hriniak has been working with him.

LITTLE NELL
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Why on earth would Ozzie call him a pimp?

rdwj
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Does that end the nickname discussion?

ummmm No

roylestillman
02-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Cowley mentioned this on Mully and Hanley this morning. I guess he showed up at camp in a pimped out Land Rover. The Cuban Missle is already taken, so he gets "The Cuban Pimp."

guillensdisciple
02-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh yes, I expect some serious mashing out of this guy, and he looks like a tank so no worries with his physical build.

LITTLE NELL
02-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Cowley mentioned this on Mully and Hanley this morning. I guess he showed up at camp in a pimped out Land Rover. The Cuban Missle is already taken, so he gets "The Cuban Pimp."
We have to come up with something better. I've run across a few pimps in my lifetime but not a member of the White Sox.(some have come close).

SBSoxFan
02-18-2009, 07:52 PM

Yep. I heard this too. Cowley also mentioned that Alexei got lost trying to get to the clubhouse.

everafan
02-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Cowley also said the Buehrle said that he would pay $1M of his own money to keep Uribe on the team - not necessarily to play but to be on the bench, locker room and on the planes.

WhiteSox1989
02-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Cowley also said the Buehrle said that he would pay $1M of his own money to keep Uribe on the team - not necessarily to play but to be on the bench, locker room and on the planes.

Pretty funny. He also mentioned how Uribe has been the biggest loss in recent Sox history.

#1swisher
02-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Ozzie trying to sound young:redface:

geraldfritz
02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
I honestly can not wait to see this guy in action. Personally I think he should start the year in the minors to become more polished. He is only 19, and has a huge career ahead of him, and with some time in the minors, he could become a great player. But I could be wrong, if he shows in Spring Training that he is up to performing the way we hope, then I will happily retract my statement of him starting in the minors.

soxfanatlanta
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
How about El Chulo Cubano?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-19-2009, 04:01 PM
I like...

El Caballo de Cuba

I miss the original El Caballo. So how about we try to replace him? :D:

spawn
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Why does he need a nickname? :shrug:

guillensdisciple
02-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Cuban Matrix?

I like the word matrix:D:.

BadBobbyJenks
02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Ozzie was on fire today, fast forward past the "2nd half" in this link. (http://www.670thescore.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3490053)

He is asked about Lou Piniella reading books to be a better manager and if Ozzie would ever write a book.

soxfanreggie
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
When Ozzie brought up this nickname, I had a great chuckle. Anytime he wants to add a player that we call "The Cuban..." seems to be a good thing for the organization.

I wouldn't mind if JC came to be known as "The Cuban Comeback Kid" and able to contribute greatly this season. He can be one of those wildcards that really help us out!

russ99
02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
When Ozzie brought up this nickname, I had a great chuckle. Anytime he wants to add a player that we call "The Cuban..." seems to be a good thing for the organization.

I wouldn't mind if JC came to be known as "The Cuban Comeback Kid" and able to contribute greatly this season. He can be one of those wildcards that really help us out!

Watching him hit, run, field and interviewed on CSN the last few days, the one guy Dayan really reminds me of is Frank Thomas, even though he's a bit shorter.

So how about The Cuban Hurt? :D:

all*star quentin
02-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Watching him hit, run, field and interviewed on CSN the last few days, the one guy Dayan really reminds me of is Frank Thomas, even though he's a bit shorter.

Good one:tongue:

guillen4life13
02-20-2009, 02:36 PM

Difference is that Frank's biggest deficiency was his throwing arm (even at 1B). Dayan's strength is his arm, from everything I've read.

Vernam
02-20-2009, 07:25 PM

So how about The Cuban Hurt? :D:Damn! I'm sitting here watching the CSN coverage of him, and I thought of TCH, too. And I wondered, "Will people think I'm an ******* if I post that at WSI?" So I check in and find your post. :wink:

He's gotta earn it and it's an awfully tough standard to meet, but seeing how huge he looks (even at 5'11"), The Cuban Hurt sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

If he must have a nickname, that is. :cool: TC* just seems to offer endless possibilities so long as KW keeps acquiring Cubans or guys whose first name starts with C. It sure beats Chris Berman's stupid nicknames . . .

Vernam

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2009, 01:05 AM
"Pimp" is not a compliment in my world, or in most people's world. Why do we always have to try to force a nickname? First, not every player has to have one, and second, a nickname should come naturally.

Vernam
02-21-2009, 01:40 AM
"Pimp" is not a compliment in my world, or in most people's world. Why do we always have to try to force a nickname? First, not every player has to have one, and second, a nickname should come naturally.Nellie, I think you're right. I doubt Quentin's teammates refer to him as TCQ. But it's pretty cool how a nickname that basically started on this website came into very broad use in the media. So it's predictable that people would try to come up with the next catchy nick name.

If Fox were around today, would people try to come up with a better name than Nellie? That would, um, suck. I agree that it's better when organic.

Vernam

guillen4life13
02-21-2009, 12:57 PM
"Pimp" is not a compliment in my world, or in most people's world. Why do we always have to try to force a nickname? First, not every player has to have one, and second, a nickname should come naturally.

Gotta agree. Especially when we haven't seen the kid take one swing against major league pitching.

I think the expectations that people are starting to place on Viciedo before he's actually done ANYTHING are going to set fans up for disappointment when he doesn't produce immediately. He will earn his nickname, whether it's bad or good. The kid is just 19 and hasn't done anything in the US yet. Let him start playing and making a name for himself.

jabrch
02-21-2009, 02:12 PM

At his age, "kid" wouldn't fit. How bout "Papi Comeback"

all*star quentin
02-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Gotta agree. Especially when we haven't seen the kid take one swing against major league pitching.

I think the expectations that people are starting to place on Viciedo before he's actually done ANYTHING are going to set fans up for disappointment when he doesn't produce immediately. He will earn his nickname, whether it's bad or good. The kid is just 19 and hasn't done anything in the US yet. Let him start playing and making a name for himself.

Good point...he may become The Cuban Swisher

soxfanreggie
02-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I agree that he has to earn the nickname, but it's still fun to speculate...ie why we have threads about the next statue, potential FA signings, and what to do with the CF position :D:. We have to have something to do until games start!