PDA

View Full Version : Thome wants to play 2 more seasons

cws05champ
02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/thome-wants-to-play-two-more-seasons.html

I can't see that the 2nd year will be here...

DaveFeelsRight
02-18-2009, 02:24 PM
you'll never now. lets see how he does this season.

aryzner
02-18-2009, 02:27 PM
I have my doubts that the 2nd year will be here as well but you never know. If, at that time, the makeup of the team has room for him and he can still produce, I'd have no problem with him playing his last season as a member of the White Sox. He's a class act and it's been great having him here.

CashMan
02-18-2009, 02:40 PM
I have my doubts that the 2nd year will be here as well but you never know. If, at that time, the makeup of the team has room for him and he can still produce, I'd have no problem with him playing his last season as a member of the White Sox. He's a class act and it's been great having him here.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the money will be there. I thought I read, that he could only take a 20% drop in pay from the Sox, so that would be roughly $10.5mill, and with the Cuban and Fields being so cheap, I don't see Kenny spending that. Also, I think you would want to movie Paulie to DH.

voodoochile
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
If the Sox decline next year's option can they then turn around and negotiate with him?

Yes, they'd have to offer 80% which would be over $10M. I'll be shocked if he gets over $8M and $5M wouldn't be out of the question.

esbrechtel
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
So there is no possible way he plays here next season for lower than $10 million?

if thats the case than forget it....:dunno:

CashMan
02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
If the Sox decline next year's option can they then turn around and negotiate with him?

Yes, they'd have to offer 80% which would be over $10M. I'll be shocked if he gets over $8M and $5M wouldn't be out of the question.

Hmmm.Well, he can only DH, so that leaves 14 teams. Now, if he wants to play everyday, that rules out the following: Rays, Yanks, Sawks, Indians, so that would probably bring down his value to about $5mill or less a year.

choo-choo moe
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Hmmm.Well, he can only DH, so that leaves 14 teams. Now, if he wants to play everyday, that rules out the following: Rays, Yanks, Sawks, Indians, so that would probably bring down his value to about $5mill or less a year.

i agree w/ this..and if this is his last year w/ us, i won't lose any sleep...

Rohan
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM

That's really what it's about. My bet is, he turns out the same season he did last year, we'll have him for another year.
Even if he doesn't really perform like he did in his prime, he's still a big bat. Still another guy in the line up the pitcher needs to worry about.

tm1119
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
That's really what it's about. My bet is, he turns out the same season he did last year, we'll have him for another year.
Even if he doesn't really perform like he did in his prime, he's still a big bat. Still another guy in the line up the pitcher needs to worry about.

No way he actually comes back. With Dayan, Fields, Flowers, Brandon Allen, Paulie, and maybe Dye all possibilities at DH the chances of us bringing him back are very slim.

whitesox901
02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
No way he actually comes back. With Dayan, Fields, Flowers, Brandon Allen, Paulie, and maybe Dye all possibilities at DH the chances of us bringing him back are very slim.

agree

oeo
02-18-2009, 06:36 PM

We don't have an option for 2010.

Gavin
02-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Please god no more Thome.

Jerksticks
02-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Still another guy in the line up the pitcher needs to worry about.

I don't feel like pitchers worry about him. Everytime I see him bat he either grounds out to the shift or strikes out. Where his OBP comes from I have no idea.

We need a left handed DH for 2010, what are the options?

russ99
02-19-2009, 08:36 AM
So there is no possible way he plays here next season for lower than $10 million?

if thats the case than forget it....:dunno:

Is that 80% something in his contract, or is that the Player's Association guideline?

In this economy, the union thing is out the window anyway, so I can't see why the Sox wouldn't decline his option and then sign him to a $3-6M base plus incentives.

You don't want to stiff a local guy and future hall of famer who could hit his 600th homer in a Sox uniform over a few million dollars.

doublem23
02-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Is that 80% something in his contract, or is that the Player's Association guideline?

In this economy, the union thing is out the window anyway, so I can't see why the Sox wouldn't decline his option and then sign him to a $3-6M base plus incentives.

You don't want to stiff a local guy and future hall of famer who could hit his 600th homer in a Sox uniform over a few million dollars.

It's called the CBA. That said, Thome has no option for the 2010 season.

oeo
02-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Please god no more Thome.

Yeah, the guy has been ****ing terrible. :rolleyes:

Madscout
02-19-2009, 08:54 AM

He's been great, but we gotta move on.

CashMan
02-19-2009, 08:57 AM

I would probably be in the same boat as getting rid of Thome, but I want to see what Fields and The Cuban do before I say that. If at least one of them is capable of doing something offensively, then bye bye Thome.

oeo
02-19-2009, 09:00 AM
He's been great, but we gotta move on.

I understand we probably need to move on, but Gavin obviously doesn't feel "he's been great." That's the only thing I'm defending.

Although, depending on how he plays this year and how healthy he stays, we might want him back. Would be a cheaper option at DH than Dye (plus it would only have to be a 1-year deal), and if Viciedo is ready, you can put him in the outfield.

CashMan
02-19-2009, 09:06 AM
I understand we probably need to move on, but Gavin obviously doesn't feel "he's been great." That's the only thing I'm defending.

Although, depending on how he plays this year and how healthy he stays, we might want him back. Would be a cheaper option at DH than Dye (plus it would only have to be a 1-year deal), and if Viciedo is ready, you can put him in the outfield.

I would go with Dye, simply because it annoys the piss out of me Thome can't hit it to the other side of the shift. Isn't Dye younger anyway? Perhaps he will have more in the tank being a DH.

oeo
02-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I would go with Dye, simply because it annoys the piss out of me Thome can't hit it to the other side of the shift. Isn't Dye younger anyway? Perhaps he will have more in the tank being a DH.

The problem is, if Dye has another big year, I don't know if we'll be able to get him on a one or two year deal (probably in this market, but you never know). Yes, Dye is younger, but he's also getting up there, too. If we can get him cheap on a 2-year deal, I'd do that. Then Paulie is off the books after 2010, so first base will open for one of the big three power hitters (Fields, Viciedo, and Flowers), and finally, DH would open up after 2011.

I'd still like to see how this year plays out.

Gavin
02-20-2009, 07:24 PM
I understand we probably need to move on, but Gavin obviously doesn't feel "he's been great." That's the only thing I'm defending

Lighten up, Francis. "He's been great" but flat-out sucked in September + Playoffs.

But what does that matter....

BleacherBandit
02-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Hold on to Thome because the fact that he's on the Sox pisses off the Indians fans.