PDA

View Full Version : Can the Yankees retire Mariano Rivera's #42?

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Mariano Rivera no doubt deserves to have his number retired. But Major League Baseball already retired #42 for all teams. Rivera is the last player in the league to wear the number. So, if they want to, can the Yankees retire #42 even though it is technically already retired by them?

esbrechtel
02-18-2009, 01:50 PM
why not?

I want Mags back
02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I see no reason the league would have a rule against it.

hi im skot
02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Of course.

Eddo144
02-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, they can. In fact, the Yankees have already retired #8 for two different players (Dickey and Berra). Why would #42 be any different?

To elaborate further: I'm not sure how the retirement of #42 for Robinson worked (I assume all 30 teams just agreed to do it), but I'm almost positive the league has no rule regarding retired numbers. The Indians have retired #455 (not a typo) for "the fans" and the Cardinals have retired #85 for August Busch, Jr.

Joe Posnanski covered retired numbers extensively in this post (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/04/23/way-more-than-you-wanted-on-retired-numbers/).

chaerulez
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah... why wouldn't they be able to?

The MLB thing for Robinson was so no one could wear 42 again in honor of him. Rivera wore it long before that happened.

areilly
02-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Sure they can, and there's precedent: the Cardinals retired Bruce Sutter's #42 on September 17, 2006.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Since 42 is already retired, why not honor Ron Kittle and have the White Sox "retire" it in his honor?

asindc
02-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes, they can. In fact, the Yankees have already retired #8 for two different players (Dickey and Berra). Why would #42 be any different?

To elaborate further: I'm not sure how the retirement of #42 for Robinson worked (I assume all 30 teams just agreed to do it), but I'm almost positive the league has no rule regarding retired numbers. The Indians have retired #455 (not a typo) for "the fans" and the Cardinals have retired #85 for August Busch, Jr.

Joe Posnanski covered retired numbers extensively in this post (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/04/23/way-more-than-you-wanted-on-retired-numbers/).

From what I understand, all MLB teams agreed to retire the number 42 for Robinson. Those players who were wearing 42 at the time of the announcment in honor of Robinson, like Rivera and Mo Vaughn, were allowed to keep wearing it in his honor with the understanding that the team would retire the number for Robinson once the player stopped playing for that team. Hence, 42 was retired for Robinson in Boston once Vaughn left the team.

As far as retiring it simultaneously for both Rivera and Robinson, I don't know if MLB would allow it given this arrangement. Rivera's "jersey" could be retired without the number 42 on his jersey displayed in the park, I suppose.

Eddo144
02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
As far as retiring it simultaneously for both Rivera and Robinson, I don't know if MLB would allow it given this arrangement. Rivera's "jersey" could be retired without the number 42 on his jersey displayed in the park, I suppose.
Like I said before, I don't really think MLB has a say in the matter. Also, I believe #42 is indeed officially retired by the Yankees for Robinson, it's just that Rivera is grandfathered in; it's just like when the Bulls retired Bob Love's #10, but BJ Armstrong was allowed to continue wearing it.

sox1970
02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
From what I understand, all MLB teams agreed to retire the number 42 for Robinson. Those players who were wearing 42 at the time of the announcment in honor of Robinson, like Rivera and Mo Vaughn, were allowed to keep wearing it in his honor with the understanding that the team would retire the number for Robinson once the player stopped playing for that team. Hence, 42 was retired for Robinson in Boston once Vaughn left the team.

:o:

Rivera will get his jersey retired with 42 on it, and the Yankees won't have to clear it with anybody.

asindc
02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
:o:

Rivera will get his jersey retired with 42 on it, and the Yankees won't have to clear it with anybody.

What makes you so sure? I'm not trying to pick an argument here, but when the honor was announced, MLB made it clear that the only exceptions were for the few players wearing 42 in honor of Robinson at that time. I'm not saying that you are wrong for sure, but you seem rather certain that it will happen.

sox1970
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
What makes you so sure? I'm not trying to pick an argument here, but when the honor was announced, MLB made it clear that the only exceptions were for the few players wearing 42 in honor of Robinson at that time. I'm not saying that you are wrong for sure, but you seem rather certain that it will happen.

Yes, MLB retired the number and grandfathered the players that were wearing 42 at the time, but it's not hurting anyone if they symbolically retire 42 again for Rivera. As other people mentioned, teams have retired the same number twice for different players, so this wouldn't be an issue.

thomas35forever
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
They better. Not to have his number hanging at Yankee Stadium would be an injustice.

Rohan
02-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes, MLB retired the number and grandfathered the players that were wearing 42 at the time, but it's not hurting anyone if they symbolically retire 42 again for Rivera. As other people mentioned, teams have retired the same number twice for different players, so this wouldn't be an issue.

I agree. The greatest closer we'll see in awhile.

asindc
02-18-2009, 03:46 PM

If it is a question of "should they," I don't feel strongly either way. If it is a question of "will they," then I don't think it is a given, IMO.

RKMeibalane
02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes.

AZChiSoxFan
02-18-2009, 05:26 PM

Please read post # 7 in this thread.

asindc
02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Please read post # 7 in this thread.

I apologize for missing that post the first time around. With that being the case, why is this even a question? Is it because the NYY have retired so many numbers already? Surely it can't be because someone might question Rivera's worthiness.

Eddo144
02-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I apologize for missing that post the first time around. With that being the case, why is this even a question? Is it because the NYY have retired so many numbers already? Surely it can't be because someone might question Rivera's worthiness.
1. The original poster was not aware of that.
2. Subsequent posters have not read that post.