PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly Gives Back Stolen MVP Awards

RKMeibalane
02-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3915217)

An interesting read, though there's nothing the article that the rest of us haven't already realized on our own.

thegooch
02-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Ehh. He gives some to Pujols, Piazza, and Luis Gonzalez, but who's to say they weren't juiced?

He gives one to Alou in 1998 over Sosa. But there is no evidence Sosa ever used(note: I'm not saying he didn't, I personally think he was/is a juicer). Alou pisses on his own hands, think he's above shooting some juice in his rear-end?

Reilly can suck it.

Marqhead
02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
My first thought was that the article was justified and interesting.

My second immediate thought was how do you know none of the others were juicing? If their names come out is going to write another article?

There is so much uncertainty and speculation right now that this article seems a bit premature.

FedEx227
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
That's why I can't stand this steroid stuff anymore.

Go back, take records, etc. Screw it all. There is no way to tell who did what from 1985-2005 so just forget it and move on. Just know it was the steroid era and call it a day.

DSpivack
02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I read the thread title as though Rick Reilly had personally stolen the awards, and was returning them.

MaggPipes
02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3915217

Rick Reilly has an article and redistributes all of the MVP awards that were won then by now-admitted roid users. Should this happen?

jkrohn
02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
I personally think they should, but it will never happen.

To me this is no different than an olympic athlete getting busted years later (a la Marion Jones)

Irishsox1
02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
The biggest crime isn't baseball players using steroids, it's that Rick Reilly makes $2 Million a year for putting out garbage like that.

Sad
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
it should... unfortunately it will not...

hi im skot
02-18-2009, 02:51 PM
That's why I can't stand this steroid stuff anymore.

Go back, take records, etc. Screw it all. There is no way to tell who did what from 1985-2005 so just forget it and move on. Just know it was the steroid era and call it a day.

Agreed.

FedEx227
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I personally think they should, but it will never happen.

Because there was no testing during this period though everyone is basically guilty until proven innocent.

Luis Gonzalez are you kidding me? He certainly doesn't pass the eye or the stat test.

This whole go back and take things away is stupid. Now Sosa is clearly a roider, but there is no proof, so how can you take it away from him. Bonds is clearly a roider, but he never tested positive, so how can you take it away from him?

How can you take MVPs away from guys who never tested positive but were clearly roiders and give them to guys who never tested positive but also could potentially be roiders?

See the mess.

Forget it. Get some outside testing, prevent this from happening and make the era the Steroid Era.

Eddo144
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm of the opinion all records should remain as they are, especially end-of-year awards. We have no way of knowing who exactly used; did Piazza, Pujols, Thomas, or Alou? We might think not, but we don't know.

TDog
02-18-2009, 03:12 PM
No, really, MVPs shouldn't be redistributed. It makes for a good column, but it is entirely hypothetical.

In 2000, Frank Thomas lost out to Jason Giambi, who will replace him on the A's roster next season. I don't know that any writers who voted for Giambi over Thomas in 2000 now believe Thomas should have been the MVP. There were people who voted for Giambi over Thomas who had a very good idea that Giambi was cheating and still voted for him. Take Giambi out of the mix in 2000 and you really don't know if Thomas would have won the MVP because it changes the dynamics of the vote.

Take that a couple of steps further and you have people arguing to take away LaMarr Hoyt's 1983 Cy Young Award because substance abuse shortened his career.

I think Thomas should have won the 2000 MVP. But he didn't. And it won't go on his Hall of Fame plaque. Giambi won't have any MVPs on his Hall of Fame plaque. So such plaque will hang in Cooperstown.

areilly
02-18-2009, 03:40 PM
The biggest crime isn't baseball players using steroids, it's that Rick Reilly makes $2 Million a year for putting out garbage like that.

I'll never forget the single greatest media personality takedown EVER:

"The Chicago Bears' starting line has more washed has-beens than a taping of 'Dancing with the Stars.'

But seriously, this one kid has cancer."