PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign draft picks, and perhaps Simas

Jerry_Manuel
05-25-2002, 01:34 PM
From the Daily Herald:

The White Sox came to terms Friday with three late-round picks from the 2001 draft - players known in the business as "draft and follow" prospects.

The Sox signed 6-foot-4, 215-pound outfielder Tom Collaro, last year's 27th-round pick who chose to attend Palm Beach (Fla.) Community College rather than sign out of high school.

The Sox also added two left-handed pitchers: Timothy Tisch, a 6-6, 190-pounder from Mesa (Calif.) Junior College, and Gerron McGary, a 6-1, 183-pounder from Texarkana JC.

McGary, last year's 45th-rounder whose grandfather played for the Negro Leagues' Kansas City Monarchs, is the epitome of a draft and follow.

He went 2-5 with a 5.00 ERA as a freshman. After growing 2 inches and adding 10 pounds, he started his sophomore season 10-0 with a 2.88 ERA.

White Sox reliever Bill Simas might return to the South Side. Recently released by Detroit, Simas threw batting practice prior to Friday's game, and the Sox are contemplating signing the rehabbing right-hander.

HawkDJ
05-25-2002, 01:35 PM
I beat you by two minutes. :)

doublem23
05-25-2002, 01:51 PM
Former Sox reliever Bill Simas is expected to sign a minor-league contract with the Sox after being granted his release by the Tigers.

The 30-year-old Simas is coming off Tommy John surgery on his right elbow in December of 2000 and hasn't pitched in the majors since he was with the Sox at the end of the 2000 season. Simas threw a simulated game in front of Sox coaches Friday and will sign a one-year deal within the next few days and report to Triple-A Charlotte.

"I was just in the neighborhood and stopped by to try to get a job," Simas said.

Simas was granted his release Friday after spending his time with Detroit rehabbing at its Lakeland, Fla., spring training facility. Simas doesn't believe the Tigers were giving him a chance to prove that his arm was OK.

"I think he thought he was further along than we thought he was," said Greg Smith, Detroit's director of minor leagues and scouting.

From the Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-020524soxnotes.story?coll=cs%2Dwhitesox%2Dheadline s).

I'd like to see the Sox give Simas another chance. He was supposedly a leader in the bullpen, and its not like you can't have too many pitchers. Obviously, he'd need to rehab in the minors first, but I definitely think the Sox should give him another shot. Oh yeah, its also good player PR.

WinningUgly!
05-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

From the Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-020524soxnotes.story?coll=cs%2Dwhitesox%2Dheadline s).

I'd like to see the Sox give Simas another chance. He was supposedly a leader in the bullpen, and its not like you can't have too many pitchers. Obviously, he'd need to rehab in the minors first, but I definitely think the Sox should give him another shot. Oh yeah, its also good player PR.

Always liked Simas, hope he makes it back.

voodoochile
05-25-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Always liked Simas, hope he makes it back.

Even if he never pitches in the majors again, he has all the markings of an excellent bullpen coach. Sox would be wise to keep him close, as he is going to have a long career in baseball in one form or another, IMO.

KruseControl04
05-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Simas seems like a real good guy who knows his baseball. I hope we sign him up as well. I can't hurt to have a more experienced pitcher in your system. A little bit of insurance for the bullpen, plus he can help out the younger guys. I'd really like to see them sign him up and hang onto him, and hell if he makes it back to the majors then good for him and he deserves a shot. He could always be better than Ginter who IMO isn't quite there yet. He's shown good signs though. Go Bill!