PDA

View Full Version : Mets fans are LIVID over this...

skobabe8
02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
...and having very similar seats at USCF, I would be too.

rdwj
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't get it

dickallen15
02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't get it

It appears a row or two will have an obstructed view. Things could be worse, they could still be in Shea.

Bobby Thigpen
02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Lean forward.

DumpJerry
02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
It's the Pepsi sign. New Yorkers are Coca Cola people.

Dibbs
02-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Wow. How does something like that happen in this day and age?

skobabe8
02-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Apparently they installed an extra tall LED ribbon board around the upper deck and it completely blocks the view for people in the first 2 rows.

Leaning forward that much for 2-3 hours is not the answer. I tend to lean forward in my seat for the majority of the time during games because of the railing that runs in front of me. But its nothing compared to pictures I've seen of Citi Field.

BleacherBandit
02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
They'll probably fix it once enough season ticket holders complain. It's not a structural problem, all they have to do is give up on the large ribbon board.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
If I were a Mets fan I would be livid about the team collapsing two years in row instead of a few obstructed seats. They should be calling for Mr Met's head.

guillen4life13
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
If I were a Mets fan I would be livid about the team collapsing two years in row instead of a few obstructed seats. They should be calling for Mr Met's head.
:rolleyes:

It's not like they aren't livid about their recent collapses. I'd be pissed about having an obstruction like that if I paid for that seat, and if you wouldn't be pissed about it, given that this is in a new stadium and it's 2009, then you would have no self respect.

DSpivack
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM

It's not like they aren't livid about their recent collapses. I'd be pissed about having an obstruction like that if I paid for that seat, and if you wouldn't be pissed about it, given that this is in a new stadium and it's 2009, then you would have no self respect.

They have the right to be pissed to be obstructed from watching another September meltdown! :tongue:

guillen4life13
02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
They have the right to be pissed to be obstructed from watching another September meltdown! :tongue:

There ya go!:redneck

DoItForDanPasqua
02-17-2009, 10:08 PM

The memories will be less painful if they can't see.

gosox41
02-17-2009, 10:29 PM
...and having very similar seats at USCF, I would be too.

I thought you were going to say they were livid because The Tinkerer wants to bat Jose Reyes third.

Bob

WhiteSoxFan84
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Hell, I agree with them. How the hell are the batters supposed to hit with the tarp covering home plate?!

WhiteSox5187
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
I'd be livid over the black in their uniforms, but that's me.

whitesox901
02-18-2009, 12:57 AM
They'll probably fix it once enough season ticket holders complain. It's not a structural problem, all they have to do is give up on the large ribbon board.

ditto

C-Dawg
02-18-2009, 06:20 AM
They're probably livid because their team won't get 1/10th of the feel-good happy-times press the Yankees will get when they play the Cubs in the exhibition games before the new Yankee Stadium opens.

Why they don't do a Yankees-Mets game at each new park to work the bugs out is beyond me.

Red Barchetta
02-18-2009, 07:29 AM
If that happened here, we would be more pissed off that the obstruction was painted blue and not green...:D:

guillensdisciple
02-18-2009, 08:05 AM
I am assuming the Mets are in the same boat in their respective cities in terms of fandom. I have a soft spot in my heart for them. If I enjoyed another major league team, it would probably be the mets out of that fact.

That doesn't mean I like the Sox because of our to the Cubs, but I sympathize with any true Mets fan who speaks of the Yankees the way some of us do of the Cubs.

Red Barchetta
02-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I am assuming the Mets are in the same boat in their respective cities in terms of fandom. I have a soft spot in my heart for them. If I enjoyed another major league team, it would probably be the mets out of that fact.

That doesn't mean I like the Sox because of our to the Cubs, but I sympathize with any true Mets fan who speaks of the Yankees the way some of us do of the Cubs.

I think it's an entirely different perspective however. The Yankees have earned their fansbase based on winning chamionships. The Cubs have earned their fanbase by selling "A Day At Beautiful Wrigley Field". The Yankees market winning baseball. The Cubs market a ballpark.

If anything, I think the SOX fan experience mirrors the Oakland A's fan experience. The A's have have won more games, championships and have enjoyed more winning seasons while playing in a less than desirable ballpark/neighborhood than their cross-bay rivals, the SF Giants who enjoy playing in beautiful, quaint and quirky ballpark. However, unlike Wrigley Field, which IMO smells like a backed-up sewer, AT&T Park is acually new, modern and very nice.

Edit - and one more thing the Giants/Cubs have in common - they both enjoyed high ticket sales as two juiced up hitters assulted the record books.

RKMeibalane
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I thought you were going to say they were livid because The Tinkerer wants to bat Jose Reyes third.

Bob

:jerry

"I haven't revealed that secret to them, yet."

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

LoveYourSuit
02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
hand out a big fat yellow page to each person who sits on those seats.

Thome25
02-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Why they don't do a Yankees-Mets game at each new park to work the bugs out is beyond me.

Great point.

Thome25
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I think it's an entirely different perspective however. The Yankees have earned their fansbase based on winning chamionships. The Cubs have earned their fanbase by selling "A Day At Beautiful Wrigley Field". The Yankees market winning baseball. The Cubs market a ballpark.

If anything, I think the SOX fan experience mirrors the Oakland A's fan experience. The A's have have won more games, championships and have enjoyed more winning seasons while playing in a less than desirable ballpark/neighborhood than their cross-bay rivals, the SF Giants who enjoy playing in beautiful, quaint and quirky ballpark. However, unlike Wrigley Field, which IMO smells like a backed-up sewer, AT&T Park is acually new, modern and very nice.

Edit - and one more thing the Giants/Cubs have in common - they both enjoyed high ticket sales as two juiced up hitters assulted the record books.

This is a great summary right here. The A's, White Sox, and Mets deal with the same kind of neglect and disrespect problems in their respective geographical areas but, for different reasons.

palehozenychicty
02-18-2009, 12:52 PM

You're exactly right. The Mets are on a similar level with the Sox in terms of publicity and general reverence among New Yorkers. The Yankees rule the roost, but the Mets have more passionate, articulate fans that have a strong local base in the outer boroughs and Long Island. They've both had gloomy histories, but the Mets overall have had better talent than the Sox. I always liked the Mets, as they have far more interesting teams. The 1986 squad will be in baseball lore forever, and "The Bad Guys Won" is a solid read from Jeff Pearlman.

As for the obstructed view, it stinks, but they'll make the adjustment in due time. Most Met fans are just elated to be out of Shea for good.

skobabe8
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I added new pictures to the original post.

I like new stadiums and all, but there seems to be serious issues with some of these newer ballparks. My appreciation grows for USCF the more I see these new designs, i.e. split and disjointed upper decks, PSL's, and forced quirky designs.

JohnTucker0814
02-18-2009, 04:22 PM
You're exactly right. The Mets are on a similar level with the Sox in terms of publicity and general reverence among New Yorkers. The Yankees rule the roost, but the Mets have more passionate, articulate fans that have a strong local base in the outer boroughs and Long Island. They've both had gloomy histories, but the Mets overall have had better talent than the Sox. I always liked the Mets, as they have far more interesting teams. The 1986 squad will be in baseball lore forever, and "The Bad Guys Won" is a solid read from Jeff Pearlman.

As for the obstructed view, it stinks, but they'll make the adjustment in due time. Most Met fans are just elated to be out of Shea for good.

I visited Shea for the 1st time this year and it is the worst baseball park I've ever been to. I've been to about 20 different major league stadiums. The workers were rude, the place was a dump and the consessions aren't even ready when you open the ballpark. I would have never made a trip back out there if they stayed in Shea... but now, I'll most definately be checking out Citi Field in the next 3-5 years!

C-Dawg
02-18-2009, 07:12 PM
...and the consessions aren't even ready when you open the ballpark.

I noticed that about both NY ballparks; although the gates were open and fans were streaming in, none of the concession windows were open for business until much closer to gametime, thus making enormous lines unavoidable. I didn't understand the logic in that at all.

AnkleSox
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM

One of the biggest differences between the Sox/Cubs rivalry and other Intra-city rivalries is the fact that both the Sox and Cubs have been around since basically the beginning of organized league baseball. The A's moved through Philly and Kansas City before heading to Oakland, and the Angels and Mets are both expansion teams. Hell, the Dodgers and Giants both moved from NY too.

There's a lot more history for the Sox and Cubs in Chicago than any of these teams have in their current cities. That makes the rivalry more intense and I think more evenly spread throughout the city. I've only been to NY a few times, but I think you're far more likely to find a lot of Sox fans living in/ hanging out in the Wrigley area than you are Mets fans in the Bronx. I don't think the segregation of fans from northside/southside is as intense as everyone makes it out to be. I do however think that the intensity of the rivalry is much higher than Yankees/Mets, Giants/A's, or Dodgers/Angels.

mrfourni
02-19-2009, 05:57 PM
This is a great summary right here. The A's, White Sox, and Mets deal with the same kind of neglect and disrespect problems in their respective geographical areas but, for different reasons.

And from what I've heard, the Angels to a certain extent in LA. But nobody really cares about baseball in Southern Cal. anyway.