PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Sox broadcast schedule

SOXfnNlansing
02-17-2009, 06:37 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090216&content_id=3835446&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Comcast has 96 reg. season games, WGN has 29, WCIU has 25, 9 games on FOX, and one scheduled for ESPN Sunday night baseball.

soxfan21
02-17-2009, 06:47 AM
So that totals 160 games, what about the other 2, are they not going to be televised, or on TBS or something? It would suck if they are not televised at all.

SOXfnNlansing
02-17-2009, 07:19 AM
So that totals 160 games, what about the other 2, are they not going to be televised, or on TBS or something? It would suck if they are not televised at all.

Hopefully it's not another Gophers football game in that dome.:scratch:

oeo
02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Hopefully it's not another Gophers football game in that dome.:scratch:

They don't play in the dome around that time. Their last game there (ever!!) is September 2.

The other two are probably other possible national televised games.

Rockin Robin
02-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Does anybody know if WGN is carrying more than one spring training game? Thats all they have on the whitesox.com schedule.

anewman35
02-17-2009, 09:47 AM

The press release includes this line "ESPN may pick up additional games after the All-Star Break." I suspect that there are a few games currently listed as TBA and they'll determine if they're be on ESPN or Comcast or WGN later. It's been years since the Sox didn't broadcast a game (unless they were forced not to, which is rare), I wouldn't worry about it.

Kogs35
02-17-2009, 10:18 AM

july4th at kc and an august game in oakland are the ones without tv right now. the oakland game is in the fox window and the kc game begins 2 hours before the fox exclusive window.

soxfan21
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
july4th at kc and an august game in oakland are the ones without tv right now. the oakland game is in the fox window and the kc game begins 2 hours before the fox exclusive window.

I hate when they do that, so we miss the last few innings of the games. It annoyed me last year when TB did this to us, ohh well I guess we'll have to listen to Farmio and DJ on the radio then.

nsdjoe
02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
The majority of the spring training games are listed without a TV channel... No TV for these games? I seem to remember watching more ST games last year??

EnglishChiSox
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
The majority of the spring training games are listed without a TV channel... No TV for these games? I seem to remember watching more ST games last year??

There was a thread here which had the ST schedule on it, about 7 games on TV and 15 on Radio as well as 2 with the Cubs broadcasters for the LV games.

Chicken Dinner
02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
25 WCIU games is still too many!

MUsoxfan
02-17-2009, 01:39 PM

1 game on WCIU is too many.

BeeBeeRichard
02-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Oakland had some weird Saturday afternoon home games last year that started at 3:05 rather than the 2:55 Fox game time. And in looking at their schedule, they don't indicate these will be Fox games:

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=oak&m=8&y=2009

There's a rant in comments section of this blog post that indicates these games were not on Fox in the Bay Area last year.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=21&entry_id=25450

SOXfnNlansing
02-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Those games screw people that want to see the "Extra Innings" games. Why have almost 1/6 of the games unavailable to those subscribers?:scratch:

itsnotrequired
02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
The other two are probably other possible national televised games.

could be on mlb network

oeo
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
could be on mlb network

I forgot about the MLB Network, good call.

anewman35
02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
could be on mlb network

To the best of my knowledge, MLB Network isn't having any exclusive games this year.

anewman35
02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I hate when they do that, so we miss the last few innings of the games. It annoyed me last year when TB did this to us, ohh well I guess we'll have to listen to Farmio and DJ on the radio then.

The problem with the TB game last year was that it started at 5, and the Fox window ended at 6. The game this year is different - it starts at 1, which might be a problem, since early Saturday games usually start at 12 so they don't cross into Fox. Maybe they'll make an exception for the holiday?

As for the Oakland game, Oakland seems to have a few day home games at the time for Fox game, but not on Fox. The Cubs are playing at 12:05 that day, so hopefully Fox will decide to pick up the Sox/A's game (at least to air back here).

ChiSoxGirl
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM

1 game on WCIU is too many.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I happen to really like the WCIU games. As someone who doesn't have cable, WCIU is another outlet for me to see Sox games.

oeo
02-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I happen to really like the WCIU games. As someone who doesn't have cable, WCIU is another outlet for me to see Sox games.

I think most people don't like it because it's only available in a very small area. Those are the only games I can't see, and being the greedy bastard that I am, I hate that one day a week.

ChiSoxGirl
02-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I think most people don't like it because it's only available in a very small area. Those are the only games I can't see, and being the greedy bastard that I am, I hate that one day a week.

See, and I like 'em because they allow me to see the Sox on TV possibly as much as three times a week, rather than just once or twice. :redface:

oeo
02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
See, and I like 'em because they allow me to see the Sox on TV possibly as much as three times a week, rather than just once or twice. :redface:

Understood. That's why they should move them to WGN. What else are they going to be playing on there, The Steve Harvey Show?

ChiSoxGirl
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Understood. That's why they should move them to WGN. What else are they going to be playing on there, The Steve Harvey Show?

LOL! I understand your point, but the CW Network does air shows that aren't reruns until April or May pretty much every day during the week. I know that in the past, they've aired a baseball game and then ran whatever show was preempted after the WGN News or on a Saturday or Sunday night. Maybe they could load up on WGN broadcasts from June-August and then scale back a bit in September when the CW's shows season premiere....

chisoxfanatic
02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Screw WGN, WCIU, ESPN and FOX...They should play 162 games on CSN+.

oeo
02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
LOL! I understand your point, but the CW Network does air shows that aren't reruns until April or May pretty much every day during the week. I know that in the past, they've aired a baseball game and then ran whatever show was preempted after the WGN News or on a Saturday or Sunday night. Maybe they could load up on WGN broadcasts from June-August and then scale back a bit in September when the CW's shows season premiere....

Let's get this done.

Screw WGN, CLTV, ESPN and FOX...They should play 162 games on CSN+.

Deal!

anewman35
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM

I might be mistaken, but I believe the Sox basically deal with WGN, and WGN subcontracts some games to WCIU (which is why WCIU games look like WGN games, WGN produces them). So, basically, I don't think there's any evidence WGN WANTS to air any more games, so I doubt anything's gonna change any time soon.

ChiSoxGirl
02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I might be mistaken, but I believe the Sox basically deal with WGN, and WGN subcontracts some games to WCIU (which is why WCIU games look like WGN games, WGN produces them). So, basically, I don't think there's any evidence WGN WANTS to air any more games, so I doubt anything's gonna change any time soon.

I know that there's some sort of affiliation with WGN and WCIU; I was being facetious with my last post. I know there's no way WGN can overload their schedule with Sox games in June-August.

Medford Bobby
02-17-2009, 09:39 PM
And the other scourge of baseball (steroids being one) that "Proud to be your Bud" would like to see gone from the Earth, baseball on SuperStations!

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/S/htmlS/superstation/superstationIMAGE/superstation.jpgandhttp://www.usdirect.com/images/channels/logo_wgn.gif:whiner:

hawkjt
02-18-2009, 02:52 AM

Got your digital reciever for when they go digital? No more rabbit ears.

Lip Man 1
02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
All is explained in this interview...including why the WCIU picture is so bad and why the Sox can't get more games on WGN:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3669

Lip

Soxfest
02-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Only 1 on ESPN blows.:(:

anewman35
02-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Only 1 on ESPN blows.:(:

That just means only one on Sunday night, there will be some more ESPN games on days that are also on other networks. And if we play well, I'm sure ESPN will add more.

chisoxfanatic
02-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I bet they'll find a way to get that Sox/Cubs game on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.

Kogs35
02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
I bet they'll find a way to get that Sox/Cubs game on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.

that would take the cubs off sunday baseball after there july game vs st. louis. if thats not on espn tbs will surely take it for sunday afternoon

ChiSoxGirl
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Got your digital reciever for when they go digital? No more rabbit ears.

I have a brand new Sony LCD HDTV, but am still watching over-the-air broadcasting, while enjoying the bonus digital channels. Admittedly, I'm on the waiting list for one of those coupons and am hoping I get one before the June 12 deadline. :redface:

VenturaFan23
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM

You're only able to see the game until around the 5th inning when a green blob takes over the screen and stays there for the remainder of the game. WCIU is terrible, especially for DirecTV because for some reason it's not available in HD.

cnw8052
02-19-2009, 12:34 AM
That's exactly right. I hate WCIU because it's not available here, yet MLB considers me in the WCIU market area :scratch: Therefore my zip is on the blackout list for being close to Chicago.

GoGoCrede
02-19-2009, 05:19 AM
I love it when they air games on WGN, it means during the summer when I'm in California, I get to watch the game. But since I'm getting MLB.tv, it won't be a problem now. :bandance: Many a day was spent staring at GameCast.

HangWiffum
02-19-2009, 08:38 PM
not too many spring training games on the air this year.

lloyder
02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you have a brand new HDTV, you've got a converter box 'built-in.' You won't need any other box to keep watching over the air when the digital transition occurs...

I have a brand new Sony LCD HDTV, but am still watching over-the-air broadcasting, while enjoying the bonus digital channels. Admittedly, I'm on the waiting list for one of those coupons and am hoping I get one before the June 12 deadline. :redface:

ChiSoxGirl
02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you have a brand new HDTV, you've got a converter box 'built-in.' You won't need any other box to keep watching over the air when the digital transition occurs...

Well, I use a VCR to tape shows and since my VCR can't get channels like 5.1 and 7.1, I need a box because the non-digital channels won't be accessible without a box.

SOXfnNlansing
02-19-2009, 11:44 PM

I went YEARS! without having cable or DTV so I can feel what you're saying there. My family live in Florida and don't get games on Extra Innings when they're on WCIU. I don't have a personal problem with WCIU or WGN except there is no post game after the game, just the King of Queens:scratch:

Whappeh
02-20-2009, 04:15 AM
I went YEARS! without having cable or DTV so I can feel what you're saying there. My family live in Florida and don't get games on Extra Innings when they're on WCIU. I don't have a personal problem with WCIU or WGN except there is no post game after the game, just the King of Queens:scratch:

I had the MLB Extra Innings package last year and saw games on WCIU, or at least I am pretty sure I am.

whitesox901
02-20-2009, 04:21 AM

Thats even better than a post game show IMO :D:

Lip Man 1
02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Wha:

WCIU games aren't on Extra Innings, according to Bob Grim of the Sox. The satellite they use isn't strong enough for those games to get picked up.

Lip

Whappeh
02-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Hmm. I could of sworn I watched a game or two on extra innings that were not on comcast and obviously not on WGN... though maybe my time frames are running together and I am thinking of games I watched in chicago...

Kogs35
02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
the royals changed the july4th start time to 12:10 so the game can be on tv in both markets. now if the a's can only do the same for that august game

I ♥ Hawk and BA
07-07-2009, 03:42 AM
:hijacked: Has anyone else heard about ESPN picking up the the Sunday 7/26 game? It's listed as a 7:05 start on the schedule but I haven't found anything else on it. :scratch:

Just found this: http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/detroit_tigers/

Lip Man 1
07-07-2009, 10:42 AM
The game is now an ESPN game. It was noted in the papers last week.

Lip

FielderJones
07-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Well, I use a VCR to tape shows and since my VCR can't get channels like 5.1 and 7.1, I need a box because the non-digital channels won't be accessible without a box.

I missed this back when the thread was active. Have you seen this box (http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/dvr.shtml)? Reasonably-priced over-the-air DVR. Two tuners, so you can record a show while watching another show, or record two shows at once.

I love over-the-air TV! :D:

chi_ny
07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Does anybody know if it's at all possible to purchase a copy of a past broadcast? Say, for instance, the 13 inning Dodger game last month. Whether it be from MLB, or from the Sox, or from the network that broadcast it originally? I don't know if it's possible, or who to contact about it, if it is indeed possible.

It was the first game that my son and i have attended, that the Sox have won. I have found some video hightlights that are still online at a particular site. But I'd really like to have a copy of the broadcast, if it's possible.

thanks.