PDA

View Full Version : Sox may sign Simas

HawkDJ
05-25-2002, 12:32 PM
Former White Sox reliever Bill Simas might return to the South Side. Recently released by Detroit, Simas threw batting practice prior to Friday's game, and the Sox are contemplating signing the rehabbing right-hander.

That is from the Daily Herald. I would assume it would be to a minor league contract. I don't like the idea of another surgically repaired arm on the team though.

DrCrawdad
05-25-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I would assume it would be to a minor league contract. I don't like the idea of another surgically repaired arm on the team though.

From Chicago Sports.com:

Billy Bob's back: Former Sox reliever Bill Simas is expected to sign a minor-league contract with the Sox after being granted his release by the Tigers.

The 30-year-old Simas is coming off Tommy John surgery on his right elbow in December of 2000 and hasn't pitched in the majors since he was with the Sox at the end of the 2000 season. Simas threw a simulated game in front of Sox coaches Friday and will sign a one-year deal within the next few days and report to Triple-A Charlotte.

"I was just in the neighborhood and stopped by to try to get a job," Simas said.

Simas was granted his release Friday after spending his time with Detroit rehabbing at its Lakeland, Fla., spring training facility. Simas doesn't believe the Tigers were giving him a chance to prove that his arm was OK.

"I think he thought he was further along than we thought he was," said Greg Smith, Detroit's director of minor leagues and scouting.

I don't think that you need to worry about having another surgically repaired arm. This is a low risk signing for the Sox. I'd think of more as the Sox doing right by one of their guys. In fact that's what KW said yesterday on the radio.

If Simas recovers, as many have from Tommy John surgery, then it could work out for the Sox. If not then they'll release Simas.

The only way the Sox lose on this is if having Simas at AAA slows the progress of a prospect. But I don't think that's the case.

-DrCrawdad.