PDA

View Full Version : Matt McCarth article: Jenks no likey?

bigsoxfan420
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
In last weeks SI there was an excerpt from a forth coming book by an ex-minor leaguer, Matt McCarthy. I though it was a great piece and actually made me excited for the upcoming season, basically because he showed the "real" side of the game (e.g. the struggle to play in the pros, etc.). McCarth quotes Jenks during a small part of the article and apperntly Bobby refutes everything the guys says or attributes to him. I just heard an interview Bobby did with B&B, and he says he never even met the guys. I didn't think the article made Bobby look bad, at all, and don't understand why he would make such a big stink (McCarthy does say that Jenks said Derrick Turnbow was a juicer). What do you folks think?

Links:

Article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/02/13/mccarthy.oddmanout/index.html

Bobby response:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090215&content_id=3831406&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

EDIT:

Oops, it should say MCCARTHY in the title

soxinem1
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
I think Jenks and Turnbow each have had their respective histories of not being solid citizens.

october23sp
02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I read the article and I thought it made Bobby look like a good guy. Then I read the Bobby is pissed off about what was written. But I guess it is because he claims to have never met the author of the book. Also it makes him look kind of bad saying that Turnbow is 100% a juicer.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I read the article and I thought it made Bobby look like a good guy. Then I read the Bobby is pissed off about what was written. But I guess it is because he claims to have never met the author of the book. Also it makes him look kind of bad saying that Turnbow is 100% a juicer.

First post at WSI!

I understand him not wanting that to go public if he did say that, but the whole "All-Star-for-one-year-then-completely-falls-off-the-map-never-to-be-seen-again" act Turnbow pulled was a little suspicious.

Bobby may just be worried that his comments may get him looked down on by his fellow players, and that's why he's making the fuss about it.

october23sp
02-16-2009, 05:25 PM
First post at WSI!

I understand him not wanting that to go public if he did say that, but the whole "All-Star-for-one-year-then-completely-falls-off-the-map-never-to-be-seen-again" act Turnbow pulled was a little suspicious.

Bobby may just be worried that his comments may get him looked down on by his fellow players, and that's why he's making the fuss about it.
:welcome:

WhiteSoxBlog
02-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Well, I'm not surprised. The excerpt certainly doesn't portray Bobby in the best light. He's accused of faking back problems to avoid workouts, the alcohol thing, and the history of violence. Itís even worded so that it makes it seem like his marriage is a bad thing. I can't blame Jenks for not wanting to be associated with those claims.

MUsoxfan
02-16-2009, 05:29 PM

He might have been more concerned that he was portrayed as a lazy drunk that didn't want to do workouts.

BadBobbyJenks
02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
http://www.670thescore.com/pages/3478109.php

Jenks responds on B&B today.

Also says he has developed a knuckleball, but you will never see it in a game. I read the article and just kind of laughed at it, but Bobby is denying it all.

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2009, 07:54 PM
You know I read that article and didn't really come off with a bad impression of Jenks. He sounded like a guy who had a world of talent but had a hard time controlling himself and was in need of a wake up call. I was under the impression that he all but admitted that.

everafan
02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
We already know about Jenks' past problems. There were no revelations in this article. Jenks has already rehabilitated himself.

Tragg
02-16-2009, 08:57 PM
You know I read that article and didn't really come off with a bad impression of Jenks. He sounded like a guy who had a world of talent but had a hard time controlling himself and was in need of a wake up call. I was under the impression that he all but admitted that.
That's how I read it.

Randar68
02-16-2009, 10:22 PM
First post at WSI!

Except for the fact that Turnbow was a wreck even that season as he dodged bullets constantly. Someone has to make it from each team and when you have really crappy teams, someone is going to not deserve it.

areilly
03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
It doesn't mention the Jenks blurbs, but the NYT kills McCarthy today on some of the inaccuracies in his book.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/sports/baseball/03book.html?pagewanted=1)

Britt Burns
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Looks like McCarthy just made a bunch of this crap up. If he's not careful he is going to have to go on oprah...

bigsoxfan420
03-03-2009, 02:01 PM
How could McCarthy not think that someone would research the things he brings up in the book. Especially the things that can be corroborated by looking at a box score. It looks like Jenks may not have "protested too much".

WhiteSox5187
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Well, in regards to Jenks the exerpt that I read didn't portray him in a bad light, just as immature. But much like "A Million Little Pieces" it seems like this author has decided not to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

35th&Shields
03-03-2009, 04:39 PM
It doesn't mention the Jenks blurbs, but the NYT kills McCarthy today on some of the inaccuracies in his book.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/sports/baseball/03book.html?pagewanted=1)

Yeah, but its not like anyone reads the New York Times or what they say matters about the credibility of an author.