PDA

View Full Version : More material for the Cubune

cws05champ
02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Here's a smattering of headlines from Tribune website for both Cubs and White Sox:

Cubs:
- Who will challenge the Cubs in the NL Central?
- Milton Bradley; Wants to be a Cub, not man on the move
- Focus on field, no predictions

White Sox:
- Sox a work in progress as camp opens
- Jenks dismisses book's allegations of bad behavior
- Family first, Buehrle might retire

Hmmm, I'm not surprised, but here we go again!! Welcome to the start of the media baseball season in Chicago.

Soxman219
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
yeahhh!

oeo
02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Here's a smattering of headlines from Tribune website for both Cubs and White Sox:

Cubs:

White Sox:

Hmmm, I'm not surprised, but here we go again!! Welcome to the start of the media baseball season in Chicago.

:lol: There's a first. Who is the first one to make their World Series prediction?

guillensdisciple
02-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Did the Cubs slogan go from "it will happen" to "it might happen based off of our team performance"?

Or does irrationality reign supreme?

DumpJerry
02-16-2009, 11:03 AM
This is the thirtieth consecutive year that the Cubs have won the World Series in February. A record to be proud of!

That book with the Jenks stuff is the biggest much ado about nothing (as far as Jenks is concerned) ever written.

rustysurf83
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Hot News: Cubs already make playoffs, win division by default according to Sullivan on ESPN.:rolling:

CHISOXFAN13
02-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Hot News: Cubs already make playoffs, win division by default according to Sullivan on ESPN.:rolling:

Kinda tough to argue that one.

rustysurf83
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Kinda tough to argue that one.

Its not tough to argue anything when you're talking about a franchise that hasn't won **** in 100 years and consistently under-performs.

FedEx227
02-16-2009, 12:18 PM
The NL Central is atrocious this year. The Cubs will win the division.

oeo
02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
The NL Central is atrocious this year. The Cubs will win the division.

Easy to say when everyone is healthy going in. If I were a Cubs fan, I'd be worried about Zambozo's (his new moustache makes him look like even more of a Bozo, BTW) second half last year, specifically his final two months, Rich Harden, and how much Dempster will fall back. Not to mention, that team is getting old fast.

I still think last year was the year for them to get it done. Everything worked out well, and they stayed healthy all year. Then they blew it when it mattered. You can't expect that kind of luck two years in a row.

Marqhead
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Easy to say when everyone is healthy going in. If I were a Cubs fan, I'd be worried about Zambozo's (his new moustache makes him look like even more of a Bozo, BTW) second half last year, specifically his final two months, Rich Harden, and how much Dempster will fall back. Not to mention, that team is getting old fast.

I still think last year was the year for them to get it done. Everything worked out well, and they stayed healthy all year. Then they blew it when it mattered. You can't expect that kind of luck two years in a row.

There is nothing about Carlos Zambrano that I like, except that mustache.

oeo
02-16-2009, 12:38 PM
There is nothing about Carlos Zambrano that I like, except that mustache.

To each their own, I guess. Personally, I'm not big on mustaches.

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2009, 01:17 PM

Unless Zambrano and Harden are out for a significant period of time and Dempster falls off the face of the earth, it is almost a foregone conclusion that the Cubs will win the NL Central. Now, they might only win 85 games, but that might be enough to win the Central.

rdivaldi
02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
it is almost a foregone conclusion that the Cubs will win the NL Central.

There are no foregone conclusions in baseball...

oeo
02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Unless Zambrano and Harden are out for a significant period of time and Dempster falls off the face of the earth, it is almost a foregone conclusion that the Cubs will win the NL Central. Now, they might only win 85 games, but that might be enough to win the Central.

It might be, it might not. Four teams had more than 85 wins in the NL Central in 2008.

I'll be honest, I haven't really paid attention to the NL Central. What I do know is the Cardinals will always put a product out there, the Astros may have won the Wild Card if it wasn't for Hurricane Ike, and the Reds are an up-and-coming young team. Crazier things have happened.

Marqhead
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
It might be, it might not. I'll be honest, I haven't really paid attention to the NL Central. What I do know, is the Cardinals will always put a product out there, the Astros may have won the Wild Card if it wasn't for Hurricane Ike, and the Reds are an up-and-coming young team. Crazier things have happened.

I'm intrigued by the Reds.

The Cards look abysmal, they have definitely taken steps back from 2006. I don't even recognize the names of their 2B and 3b. Their rotation is very lackluster.

Houston usually starts slow, but they have good pitching and a decent offense.

Who knows about the Brewers. They need their young guns in the rotation to step up, and hope that the bullpen isn't a weak spot again.

Pirates. Hahahahahahahahaha.

The Cubs are the best team in the central on paper, but as said before, stranger things have happened, and a turn of bad luck or the injury bug, can spell doom for any team.

oeo
02-16-2009, 01:53 PM
The Cards look abysmal, they have definitely taken steps back from 2006. I don't even recognize the names of their 2B and 3b. Their rotation is very lackluster.

Their rotation always looks like that. They pull a couple rabbits out of their hats and suddenly they're right there again.

As for 3B, is Troy Glaus not with them anymore?

Marqhead
02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Their rotation always looks like that. They pull a couple rabbits out of their hats and suddenly they're right there again.

As for 3B, is Troy Glaus not with them anymore?

He had surgery and is out at least a month, maybe longer. Brian Barden is slated as the starter.

thomas35forever
02-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Here we go again.

palehozenychicty
02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
The Cubs should win this division, but if the Reds come through, I'd be hardly surprised.

Marqhead
02-16-2009, 03:59 PM
The Cubs should win this division, but if the Reds come through, I'd be hardly surprised.

I love watching Dusty Baker fail, but I like a lot of the young talent on this Reds team. I think it would be great to see them do well this year.

DirtySox
02-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I really like the Reds. Have for a while. I wish they would have added a big righty bat in the offseason though.

Looking forward to seeing how Yonder Alonso will do. I'd imagine they would have to move Votto to the outfield then.

whitesox901
02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
I love watching Dusty Baker fail, but I like a lot of the young talent on this Reds team. I think it would be great to see them do well this year.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h275/ttimmerm/dusty_baker5.jpg

"As long as I got my toothpick, we don't have any problems"

russ99
02-16-2009, 05:42 PM

Yeah, but that could happen. Plus Marmol/Gregg closing are less than a sure thing, and IMO the lineup is weaker than last year.

But you're right about one thing, someone else in the Central will have to step up to deny the Cubs the playoffs. I'd wet myself if it were the Pirates. :D:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
But you're right about one thing, someone else in the Central will have to step up to deny the Cubs the playoffs. I'd wet myself if it were the Pirates. :D:

Pirates/Nationals NLCS anyone?

Madscout
02-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Pirates/Nationals NLCS anyone?
Ah, the fight for the right to lose the world series.

Frater Perdurabo
02-16-2009, 09:18 PM
The Trib may be selling the Cubs, but headline writers' old habits die hard.

DrCrawdad
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM

Cubs:

White Sox:

Then there was this:
Explosive allegations against ex-Sox Alomar

gosox41
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM

I hate to say it, but barring major injury, the Cubs will probably win the division.

Bob

RadioheadRocks
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
The NL Central is atrocious this year.

Hence why we refer to that division as "Comedy Central". :cool:

TommyJohn
02-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Then there was this:
Explosive allegations against ex-Sox Alomar

Because when you hear the name Roberto Alomar, you think of the White Sox.

It was the same deal for a steroid story. The story had a picture of Jose Canseco in the helmet of the White Sox, which is of course the team with whom he is most identified.

DrCrawdad
02-17-2009, 09:24 AM

It was the same deal for a steroid story. The story had a picture of Jose Canseco in the helmet of the White Sox, which is of course the team with whom he is most identified.

What is their standard practice is when it comes to negative news stories about players who spent a brief time with the Cubbies? I don't know.

Red Barchetta
02-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Those 70 games with the SOX defined Robeto Alomar! :D:

I would think after the Cubs offense not showing up for last year's post season, their hard core fans would show a little restraint. Not so, my Cub-loving brother-in-law has jumped right back on the "We're the Best Team in Baseball on Paper" mentality once again and it's only February. :angry:

Part of me has to laugh at this (again), however if the the Cubs ever win another World Series (and that's a mighty big "if"), I think they will sneak into the playoffs as a wild card team with low expectations. If they have high expectations (like last season), they will continue to collapse under the self-imposed pressure.

geraldfritz
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I have a buddy who has finally stopped routing for the Cubs. He said last year, if they got swept, he was done. Now he roots for the Pirates. Do not know if that was a good idea on his part, but at least that is one less friend I have to listen to boosting about the Cubbies.

Marqhead
02-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I have a buddy who has finally stopped routing for the Cubs. He said last year, if they got swept, he was done. Now he roots for the Pirates. Do not know if that was a good idea on his part, but at least that is one less friend I have to listen to boosting about the Cubbies.

Wow, that is interesting. I'm not sure what it would take for me to stop rooting for the Sox. I just don't think that could ever happen.

WhiteSox5187
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
What is their standard practice is when it comes to negative news stories about players who spent a brief time with the Cubbies? I don't know.
No one who has ever played for the Cubs has ever done something bad.

white sox bill
02-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Most cub fans in these parts, NW Illinois are harmless. And there is a TON of them. They talk thier crap of "thier" yr again. I just listen, laugh either out loud or to myself, shake my head and thank my lucky stars I'm not one of them.

No skin off my nose

Rohan
02-18-2009, 03:00 PM
To each their own, I guess. Personally, I'm not big on mustaches.

:)

EuroSox35
02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Same old same old, Chicagosports.com might as well be chicagocubs.com . For a few days now they've put up about 10 'Cubs tickets on sale' banners (conflict of interest anyone?), so that there's about 2 everything you scroll down. Meanwhile one of yesterday's headlines that's still there tonight is them now lobbying for Manny. Chicago media trying to do the job for the Cubs just like every offseason, guess they got tired about writing about Peavy

EuroSox35
02-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Also, these ads for them are getting annoying. That used to be Cubs fan 'ammo' in years pre 05, 'look how the Sox advertise, how many commercials for the Cubs do you hear? We don't need any'. Meanwhile I'm seeing these ads all over, stupid billboards calling Wrigley heaven (which is offensive to me as both a baseball fan and a Catholic!), and now I have to hear their commercials all over radio, FM included. I don't listen to the Score that much, but I heard one on there the other day as well, kind of annoying to hear that on the 'flagship'