PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle might retire after 2011

Sockinchisox
02-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Says he might be done after his contract is up because he misses his family too much.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-16-rogers-white-soxfeb16,0,2199874.column

oeo
02-15-2009, 10:47 PM
He's mentioned before that he would probably hang up the cleats early, but I didn't think it would be that early. Let's hope not...

DSpivack
02-15-2009, 10:48 PM
:o:

I hope not.

It's Dankerific
02-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Hopefully just laying the groundwork for a raise in his next contract =)

JermaineDye05
02-15-2009, 10:49 PM

I haven't read the article yet, but I have a feeling this is one of those things that's been taken out of context. Buehrle is the kind of pitcher who could pitch until he's in his late 30's. Considering he's just about to turn 30, this is a bit of a surprise.

oeo
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM

I haven't read the article yet, but I have a feeling this is one of those things that's been taken out of context. Buehrle is the kind of pitcher who could pitch until he's in his late 30's. Considering he's just about to turn 30, this is a bit of a surprise.

He's quoted in the article.

ChiSoxGirl
02-15-2009, 10:51 PM
:thud:Please don't let this be true.

JermaineDye05
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
He's quoted in the article.

Yeah I just read it. That would be sad to see. However I still think he'll stick around longer.

thomas35forever
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Please no. I don't wanna say goodbye to him that soon.

doublem23
02-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Well then I guess we'd better win 3 more championships.

oeo
Yeah I just read it. That would be sad to see. However I still think he'll stick around longer.

I do too. One more 2-3 year contract after this one. At least I hope so.

Again, he's mentioned this before (retiring early). I just thought he was thinking 35, not 32.

Martinigirl
I think there are more immediate concerns than what may or may not happen after the 2011 season. The article even mentions Buehrle is always homesick on the first day of training camp.

A lot can happen in two years, I wouldn't stress out about it now.

BadBobbyJenks
02-15-2009, 10:56 PM
He also says

"People may say I'm full of it, I don't know. Maybe I am. But as I look at it today, I don't think you're going to see me in a baseball uniform for too many more years."

"I won't be around until I'm 40. I can guarantee that."

Much ado about nothing at the moment.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2009, 11:10 PM
He won't do it. A complete guesstimate based on NOTHING about what he'll do after 2011...

5% - Retire
40% - Re-sign w/ White Sox
55% - Sign a huge deal somewhere else

doublem23
02-15-2009, 11:43 PM
He won't do it. A complete guesstimate based on NOTHING about what he'll do after 2011...

5% - Retire
40% - Re-sign w/ White Sox
55% - Sign a huge deal somewhere else

I'd like to see the formula used to devise these statistics if I'm going to put any merit to them.

oeo
02-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I'd like to see the formula used to devise these statistics if I'm going to put any merit to them.

Hand + ass + pull.

jabrch
02-15-2009, 11:51 PM
If that's what makes Mark happy - so be it.

oeo
02-15-2009, 11:54 PM

This isn't about Mark, it's about us.

jabrch
02-15-2009, 11:58 PM

LOL...

Isn't it always?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-16-2009, 12:08 AM

Like I said, it's based on NOTHING. If Mark is already talking about retirement, his next contract will most likely be his last. As nice and loyal as he seems to be, it doesn't mean he'll give us another "discount". The economy will MOST LIKELY be in much better shape by 2011-2012 (please don't get into that debate) and if he keeps putting up the same numbers he has been throughout his career, someone will give him at least $16-$18M per for 3-5 years. The same way Jim Hendry encouraged Kerry Wood to go out and get what he deserved ($10M per instead of $3-$4M per), I see Kenny and The Chairman telling Mark to go out and get his. We won't be able to afford to keep Mark because by 2011-12, Alexei, Quentin, Danks, Floyd, and others will be due some HUGE raises after putting up amazing numbers from 2008 until then :redneck.

lol, Mark is the man. I may get frustrated with him because of a bad outing, but he is a solid human being. I'll never forget him driving in his big ass truck right after their plane landed in 2005, he saw a bunch of fans lined up outside the airport, stops his car, gets out and you can read his lips as he pointed to his heart, then to the fans and said, "Thank you, thank you guys". I was watching it on TV and I still remember saying, "No man, thank you!" (yes, I had a few tears in my eyes).

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2009, 12:41 AM
You know, I'm sure the first few days of spring training must suck for a guy with a young family, but if we're in the middle of the pennant race in August or in the playoffs in October, I don't think he'll be thinking about retiring. I'm sure though that this is the time of the year when a guy would think about it the most.

I hope he stays with us for his whole career and he could potentially win 250 games which could get him some HOF merit.

whitesox901
02-16-2009, 01:46 AM
No!!!! :o::(:

SOXfnNlansing
02-16-2009, 07:10 AM
I read the article. Good for Mark. Bad for us fans. I know with my personal situation, if I had $20M in the bank I'd quit my job to be with my family too. Sometimes I go on the road for a few weeks at a time. I miss my family and my life back here in Chicago terribly. There is a difference though. Putting pipe together and pitching in the big leagues are two different things.

I always wonder how big league players spend the prime of their lives on the road. It can't be the money (see negro leagues). It must be the love of the game and the excitement of the greatest game in the world. You have to give Mark credit for wrestling with his emotions in front of a reporter.

WhiteSox1989
02-16-2009, 07:38 AM
I can't read all of this, but as someone else said Good for Mark, Bad for us (IF the Sox would even resign him after his contract is up).

I won't worry about it until the time comes.

soltrain21
02-16-2009, 08:12 AM
He'd be happy with whatever choice he makes, so good for him.

Jjav829
02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
We better hurry up and trade him to the Cardinals then. Time is running out!

He sounds homesick. It's the first few days of Spring Training and he's looking forward to a bunch of boring workouts in hot temperatures and pitching in meaningless exhibition games. I don't doubt that he's sincere when talking about not pitching into his 40's, but I would guess that his talk of retiring in his early 30's probably has more to do with his emotions of going through the first few days of away from his family, which should fade a bit.

Thome25
02-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Mark Buehrle is a great pitcher, a great person and obviously a great son, husband, and father. I really do admire a person who wants to put family first. Sure, I would be disappointed if he ended his career too early but, I'm sure there's alot of us who would love to retire as early as we could just so we could spend more time wih our families.

If he can do it........I say do it. Time is the most valuable resource a human being has especially when it's spent with those that we love. I think even more of Buehrle than I did before. (I didn't think that was possible.) He obviously has his priorities in order.

Only time will tell if he makes good on his predictions.

35th&Shields
02-16-2009, 08:54 AM

I'd be happy for him. He'd walk away with his health, his youth, and $84 Million in the bank. He doesn't need the limelight and attention. I think it is refreshing to see a major league player with some perspective.

I'd miss him on the mound, though.

jabrch
02-16-2009, 09:02 AM
If I had 30mm + in the bank, I'd probably strongly consider retiring early also.

kevingrt
02-16-2009, 09:18 AM

Completely agree. I don't want to see him go but it's his choice and I can't really fault him for whatever choice he makes. He doesn't want to be away from his family so many weeks a year and miss his child growing up. But I don't wanna see him go so early. How about after this contract expires he signs another three year contract with us, gets to about 200 wins and retires as a lifelong Sock.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-16-2009, 09:23 AM
I wonder if would run into Busch Stadium and slide across the tarp during a rain delay?

soxinem1
02-16-2009, 09:44 AM
We better hurry up and trade him to the Cardinals then. Time is running out!

I thought the same thing!!

But honestly, this is a different era from when guys like the Niekro brothers, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Gaylord Perry, Jack Morris, and Nolan Ryan when they would hang on until either they couldn't get anyone out, their arms fell off, or nobody wanted them.

As much as we like him, Buehrle is not a HOF pitcher and will not set any major records, unless it is White Sox related.

Besides, who was the last starter to be in nine straight rotations in the history of this team? Not many.

But since Buehrle will make more money than all of these guys COMBINED when he is done, why hang on like some AAA veteran?

He has his well-deserved World Series ring, has made a ton of $$$, All-Star appearances, and been to the playoffs three times. And he'll get his statue at The Cell.

I think he'd like to win 20 games and a GG before he is done, and both are quite possible to accomplish.

Like Mike Mussina, who just retired after winning 20 for the first time, I admire the guys who want to go out on top, not graveling for records and hanging on just to achieve them. Life is too short.

guillensdisciple
02-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Buehrle is a good pitcher and has been part of the core of this team for a long time. I would miss his consistent pitching. You always know what you are going to get when Buehrle was on the mound, and he is as great a person as he is an athlete. When he does leave, I will be glad that he played for the White Sox.

soltrain21
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I thought the same thing!!

But honestly, this is a different era from when guys like the Niekro brothers, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Gaylord Perry, Jack Morris, and Nolan Ryan when they would hang on until either they couldn't get anyone out, their arms fell off, or nobody wanted them.

As much as we like him, Buehrle is not a HOF pitcher and will not set any major records, unless it is White Sox related.

Besides, who was the last starter to be in nine straight rotations in the history of this team? Not many.

But since Buehrle will make more money than all of these guys COMBINED when he is done, why hang on like some AAA veteran?

He has his well-deserved World Series ring, has made a ton of $$$, All-Star appearances, and been to the playoffs three times. And he'll get his statue at The Cell.

I think he'd like to win 20 games and a GG before he is done, and both are quite possible to accomplish.

Like Mike Mussina, who just retired after winning 20 for the first time, I admire the guys who want to go out on top, not graveling for records and hanging on just to achieve them. Life is too short.

Um...He has been good to sometimes great - but let's not go overboard on statues here.

oeo
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Buerhle is a good pitcher and has been part of the core of this team for a long time. I would miss his consistent pitching. You always know what you are going to get when Buerhle was on the mound, and he is as great a person as he is an athlete. When he does leave, I will be glad that he played for the White Sox.

No matter when he retires, I hope by that time people know how to spell his name.

We may need another 10 years, though, Mark.

Domeshot17
02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
whats the man got left to do? He has thrown a no hitter, won a world series, been a multiple time All Star and made a TON of money (when this deal is over he'll have made over 84 million dollars in his career) and if he has been smart with it hell live off it forever and so can his kids. He was never about the money, if he was he doesn't take that massive discount he gave us. If he really is homesick and misses his family and wants to watch his kids grow, let him.

Boondock Saint
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
whats the man got left to do? He has thrown a no hitter, won a world series, been a multiple time All Star and made a TON of money (when this deal is over he'll have made over 84 million dollars in his career) and if he has been smart with it hell live off it forever and so can his kids. He was never about the money, if he was he doesn't take that massive discount he gave us. If he really is homesick and misses his family and wants to watch his kids grow, let him.

Well said. He's done more than enough for us.

kevingrt
02-16-2009, 12:19 PM
No matter when he retires, I hope by that time people know how to spell his name.

Post of the day. Buehrle people!

34 Inch Stick
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM

If I was his kid I'd tell him to go and make another 50 million and watch me grow in the off season. As children get older, they want their parents around less anyway.

Tekijawa
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I'll tell you what! If I had a Big ******* Truck, a few Mil in the bank... I'd retire at 32 too!

MHOUSE
02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I love Mark Buehrle and would be very sad to see him go, but I feel like he has earned the right to make a decision like that if he so desires. That said, spring training probably brings out a lot of thoughts and emotions for all players and Mark has never been afraid to say what's on his mind. He's always been such a bulldog, such a competitor, I think once he laces them up for Opening Day he will be all business all the time and not want to retire so soon. Whatever happens, I hope he quits as a member of the White Sox. I would hate to see him bag it and then come back to play in St. Louis or just leave for a big payday with the Yankees.

soltrain21
02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I love Mark Buehrle and would be very sad to see him go, but I feel like he has earned the right to make a decision like that if he so desires. That said, spring training probably brings out a lot of thoughts and emotions for all players and Mark has never been afraid to say what's on his mind. He's always been such a bulldog, such a competitor, I think once he laces them up for Opening Day he will be all business all the time and not want to retire so soon. Whatever happens, I hope he quits as a member of the White Sox. I would hate to see him bag it and then come back to play in St. Louis or just leave for a big payday with the Yankees.

I wasn't aware he had to "earn" the right to make a personal decision. This thread is about as hilarious as the WBC one.

hawkjt
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
They have a new baby right now so it makes sense for Jamie to stay in Mo....but starting next year,maybe, he needs to rent a house for spring training so he can come home to the family every nite...and do that until his son is in school...which will be in 5 years..by then, a short break from the kids might even be welcomed...I say this as a dad who loves his kids...:D:

oeo
02-16-2009, 03:39 PM
They have a new baby right now so it makes sense for Jamie to stay in Mo....but starting next year,maybe, he needs to rent a house for spring training so he can come home to the family every nite...and do that until his son is in school...which will be in 5 years..by then, a short break from the kids might even be welcomed...I say this as a dad who loves his kids...:D:

He has another baby due in a few weeks. He's leaving Spring Training on March 2nd to be at home.

guillensdisciple
02-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Done and done. Thanks!:D:

oeo
02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Done and done. Thanks!:D:

Spread the word: H before R. We're going to get this down one of these days.

voodoochile
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I wasn't aware he had to "earn" the right to make a personal decision. This thread is about as hilarious as the WBC one.

He doesn't, but that's considered idiomatic English. It's an expression. In fact it's one that denotes respect toward the person it is directed. No one has to earn anything, but if Mark decided to hang them up tomorrow (please no) he would already have earned his place in Sox history and in the heart of the fans who root for them. That's all the poster was trying to say and I think you know that.

For the record, I agree. Mark has earned a special place in my sporting heart and will always be remembered for his part in 2005 if nothing else.

Zisk77
02-16-2009, 03:51 PM
i understand and respect his feelings. It would be a shame in one sense though. Consider, many believe we will not see another 300 game winner after the big Unit acheives it this year. I think Mark would be a candidate to win 300 games because:

His mechanics are near flawless.

He does not rely on velocity to get players out so when the inevitable dip comes it should not be a factor.

voodoochile
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
If I had 30mm + in the bank, I'd probably strongly consider retiring early also.

Hello Hawaii...

MUsoxfan
02-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't see him retiring without pitching at least a year in StL

soltrain21
02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
He doesn't, but that's considered idiomatic English. It's an expression. In fact it's one that denotes respect toward the person it is directed. No one has to earn anything, but if Mark decided to hang them up tomorrow (please no) he would already have earned his place in Sox history and in the heart of the fans who root for them. That's all the poster was trying to say and I think you know that.

For the record, I agree. Mark has earned a special place in my sporting heart and will always be remembered for his part in 2005 if nothing else.

Actually after seeing what people say about the WBC here, no...I didn't know that.

jabrch
02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Hello Hawaii...

I'd keep my primary home (April until October) in Chicago, and have a second place in either Arizona or Florida... Hawaii for special vacations...

But I sure wouldn't be at a desk in Rochester, NY right now.

voodoochile
02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Actually after seeing what people say about the WBC here, no...I didn't know that.

You've never heard the expression, "(insert name here) has earned the right to do as they please"?

Of course no one has to earn the right to do as they please. It's one of the things we are all guaranteed - Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, right?

It seems silly to nitpick such an innocuous statement is all I am trying to say.

whitesox901
02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
i understand and respect his feelings. It would be a shame in one sense though. Consider, many believe we will not see another 300 game winner after the big Unit acheives it this year. I think Mark would be a candidate to win 300 games because:

His mechanics are near flawless.

He does not rely on velocity to get players out so when the inevitable dip comes it should not be a factor.

Wouldn't be grand if old Mark got to 300 wins and did wearing Sox pinstripes everyday of his career :bandance:

soxinem1
02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Um...He has been good to sometimes great - but let's not go overboard on statues here.

Who is going overboard?

He is already in the top ten in franchise wins, K/BB ratio, and games started. In three years he will be in the top 4-5 in wins, and will crack the top 10 in IP this season, barring injury.

In three years he should be the second most victorious lefty in team history, and will probably be in the top five in wins, strikeouts, IP, and starts. If he decides to play a couple years longer and stay with the White Sox, he could get over or at the least near 200 wins, which would put him in the top three.

So in all logic, why would he not be getting the statue one day?

hi im skot
02-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Who is going overboard?

He is already in the top ten in franchise wins, K/BB ratio, and games started. In three years he will be in the top 4-5 in wins, and will crack the top 10 in IP this season, barring injury.

In three years he should be the second most victorious lefty in team history, and will probably be in the top five in wins, strikeouts, IP, and starts. If he decides to play a couple years longer and stay with the White Sox, he could get over or at the least near 200 wins, which would put him in the top three.

I'd just like to see his beard in statue form.

Lip Man 1
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Much ado about nothing. So much can happen between February 2009 and late September 2011.

Lip

Frontman
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
If Mark goes in 2011, I'd be sad; but I can respect his decision to retire. Some guys don't want to be a has-been player, hanging on past their prime. He might feel that's a good time to go out, or maybe to sign a short-term deal.

And if they do put up a statue of Mark, it better be one of these three:

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/mark_buehrle_no_hitter.jpg

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=314&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=382553

http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/medium_buehrletrade.jpg Wonder how they could make the water spray in bronze?!?!? :D:

soxfanreggie
02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't blame him for retiring because it's his career; however, I think that he would really miss the game. He can always bring his family along with him on some trips (I'm sure JR would make some good accomodations for him).

I also think that he could get away with pitching in StL because he could be "closer to his family" that way.

Bucky F. Dent
02-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I'd keep my primary home (April until October) in Chicago, and have a second place in either Arizona or Florida... Hawaii for special vacations...

But I sure wouldn't be at a desk in Rochester, NY right now.

I'd be a permanent resident on Kiawah Island in South Carolina.:)

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Who is going overboard?

Buerhle will and should get his number retired and his face will be on the wall, but as far as statue go, guys like Billy Pierce, Ted Lyons and Ed Walsh are more deserving. Plus I don't think I want to see our concourse littered with statues.

oeo
02-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Buerhle will and should get his number retired and his face will be on the wall, but as far as statue go, guys like Billy Pierce, Ted Lyons and Ed Walsh are more deserving. Plus I don't think I want to see our concourse littered with statues.

Billy Pierce does have a statue...

If his number is retired, then he'll get a statue. And I'd love to see the concourse "littered" with statues.

BTW, it's B-u-e-h-r-l-e.

october23sp
02-16-2009, 11:25 PM
I believe Buehrle deserves a statue but I think some people think too many people should get them. My solution: some sort of statue to the 2005 World Series team. I am sure there is already something in place but I haven't been to The Cell since July 2005.

oeo
02-16-2009, 11:28 PM
I believe Buehrle deserves a statue but I think some people think too many people should get them. My solution: some sort of statue to the 2005 World Series team. I am sure there is already something in place but I haven't been to The Cell since July 2005.

Yeah, it's right in front of the stadium.

How in the hell are too many people getting statues? :?: If Buehrle were to get a statue it would be years from now, anyway.

Shoeless_Jeff
02-16-2009, 11:29 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/2624118976_0f04cbebb2.jpg?v=0

october23sp
02-17-2009, 12:43 AM

How in the hell are too many people getting statues? :?: If Buehrle were to get a statue it would be years from now, anyway.

I don't think so either but some people are saying everyone deserves one.

oeo
02-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't think so either but some people are saying everyone deserves one.

Who said that? :scratch:

october23sp
02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Who said that? :scratch:

What I meant was some people said we are going overboard with the discussion of retiring numbers and giving out statues.

esbrechtel
02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
my gut tells me he signs a 1 year deal with STL then retires...

salty99
02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I think Brian Anderson, Frank Thomas, Jerry Owens, Ehren Wassermann, Kevin Hickey, and Raul Casanova deserve their own statues.

areilly
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Indeed, and I'd put money on the Sox playing in USCF's replacement by the time any serious kind of statue talk for Buehrle surfaces. The "crowded concourse" argument could very well be moot by then.

Frontman
02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Indeed, and I'd put money on the Sox playing in USCF's replacement by the time any serious kind of statue talk for Buehrle surfaces. The "crowded concourse" argument could very well be moot by then.

Or if the Sox go the way of building an entertainment complex attached to the park; with a museum and whatnot also kills the worry about statue space.

I still want him sliding on a tarp. :wink:

kitekrazy
02-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I think there are more immediate concerns than what may or may not happen after the 2011 season. The article even mentions Buehrle is always homesick on the first day of training camp.

A lot can happen in two years, I wouldn't stress out about it now.

Yeah it sure sucks this time of year in AZ.

BleacherBandit
02-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Is it me, or do the Sox retire way too many numbers?

Growing up in the 2000's, and being a first generation White Sox fan, I don't know too much about Ted Lyons, Luke Appling and the infielders from the '59 team. Outside of White Sox lore, you never hear names like Minoso, Fox and Pierce being thrown around as all time greats. It seems to me like the criteria for many teams is if they are HOF players that played for a substantial ammount of time on your team, retire the number.

DSpivack
02-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Is it me, or do the Sox retire way too many numbers?

Growing up in the 2000's, and being a first generation White Sox fan, I don't know too much about Ted Lyons, Luke Appling and the infielders from the '59 team. Outside of White Sox lore, you never hear names like Minoso, Fox and Pierce being thrown around as all time greats. It seems to me like the criteria for many teams is if they are HOF players that played for a substantial ammount of time on your team, retire the number.

Well, all of those players mentioned either should be, or are, HOFers.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't see him retiring without pitching at least a year in StL

They won't be able to afford him if they want to keep Pujols around (Burls and Pujols become free agents after 2011). Only way it'll happen is if Mark is older (over 35), goes back on his word, and...

my gut tells me he signs a 1 year deal with STL then retires...

Bingo.