PDA

View Full Version : Pitchers and Catchers Reported Today didn't they?

balke
02-15-2009, 09:35 PM
So why aren't we all talking baseball?

I heard people's questions this Spring Training being who's on third? Who's leading off? and who's the backup catcher?

What other concerns are out there?

I'm pumped to see Danks this year. I think he's going to do what he did early last season, and steamroll right through a full season to be a top pitcher in the league. I'm also excited to see Viciendo at 3rd in Spring Training and hopefully a re-emergence of Josh Fields' power to make 3rd base a race. I also wanna see Lillibridge v. Getz this Spring.

Does anyone know anything about Marquez? Is he going to be a good 5th starter?

ChiSoxGirl
02-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Dan Roan is interviewing Ozzie (in his pajamas) right now on WGN and Ozzie said TCQ and Dye have already reported to camp.

guillensdisciple
02-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Whew!!! This offseason was driving me crazy, even though it might be because this was my first offseason at WSI. No offense to any of the great people at WSI, just this forum has had me thinking White Sox everyday like never before.

SoxNation05
02-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I am a little nervouse about Bobby Jenks.

I also think Danks will pitch great this year.

I feel Viciedo won't see the majors.

Getz will win the 2B job.

Fields will hit: .255 24 HRs 78 RBIs.

sox1970
02-15-2009, 09:55 PM
They showed Contreras playing catch on WGN, and he looks very thin. I read he lost 30 lbs, and Ozzie isn't counting him out for the opening day roster. :o:

ChiSoxGirl
02-15-2009, 09:58 PM
They showed Contreras playing catch on WGN, and he looks very thin. I read he lost 30 lbs, and Ozzie isn't counting him out for the opening day roster. :o:

That'd be incredible because with a torn achillies tendon, the minimal time for a full recovery is 12 months. I used to work for a podiatrist and I know with any of the torn achillies cases that came through our office, that was the case.

sox1970
02-15-2009, 10:00 PM
That'd be incredible because with a torn achillies tendon, the minimal time for a full recovery is 12 months. I used to work for a podiatrist and I know with any of the torn achillies cases that came through our office, that was the case.

Post All-Star break would be nice.

ChiSoxGirl
02-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Post All-Star break would be nice.

And that would fit right into the "traditional timetable" for a torn achillies to heal and for a person to get their full strength and range of motion back.

sox1970
02-15-2009, 10:06 PM
And that would fit right into the "traditional timetable" for a torn achillies to heal and for a person to get their full strength and range of motion back.

Just caught the Final Word report. Corey McPherrin said he lost 42 lbs, and Contreras told him forget about a year...he can pitch right now. :scratch:

ChiSoxGirl
02-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Just caught the Final Word report. Corey McPherrin said he lost 42 lbs, and Contreras told him forget about a year...he can pitch right now. :scratch:

You and I think alike... switched from Instant Replay over to The Final Word. :smile:

I saw the piece about Contreras and I can't believe it! And for what it's worth, that footage didn't even look like Contreras- he's so much thinner! What I wanna know is how he lost all that weight if he was recovering from the surgery.... :scratch: How was he able to work out with only one good foot? If he came back this soon, he'd definitely be the surprise of the season.

hawkjt
02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I saw that also...altho I did not hear the 42 lbs part...just that he was slimmer..never thought Jose was really overweight or out of shape,tho..he is a legendary workout warrior right?

Anyway, what a bonus it would be if Jose can come back even by May 1...hell with rainouts and off days in April...we might not need a 5th starter much til then anyway.

Medford Bobby
02-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Man I saw that and can't believe how skinny he is.......:o:

oeo
02-15-2009, 11:01 PM
That's great news on Contreras. Dotel is also supposedly in good shape.

Noneck
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM
That's great news on Contreras. Dotel is also supposedly in good shape.

I hope so because I was thinking that Dotel found what Contreras lost.

hawkjt
02-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Josh Fields was also in camp today..Sportsnite they showed him fielding grounders at third..bit of an interview..he sounds extremely anxious to prove to his pitchers they can trust him and very confident that he is much improved....hey, its spring..and hope is free.

guillensdisciple
02-16-2009, 12:26 AM

:o::o::o::o:

What!??!?!

42 lbs?? That will definitely take the stress of that ankle as well as make maneuvering easier. However, a comeback before the all- star break would be amazing and a true sign of his work ethic.

Let's do it Contreras.

KRS1
02-16-2009, 12:32 AM

Top notch sports medicine really amazes me in how it just can't be compared to by what is considered the norm these days. Plus this is a professional athlete with unlimited access to the best and most innovative rehab out there. Just look at Brandon McGowan a couple seasons ago. Tore his Achilles in November and was practicing full bore less than seven months later, and he played the whole season healthy. I won't downplay the pressure pitching puts on the Achilles, but my educated guess says a lot less than running full speed, taking lumps and hitting people from the safety position in football.

guillensdisciple
02-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Ozzie is very optimistic about Contreras, even suggesting that at the recovery pace that he has, he could be vying for the fifth spot in the rotation during the spring. Like I said, highly unlikely, but he might be back by May if we are lucky (I will gladly eat my words).

nasox
02-16-2009, 01:26 AM
On the other hand, I don't want him to rush back and risk aggravating the injury.

munchman33
02-16-2009, 01:32 AM
:o:

Contreras, whatever diet you are on, please let us in on the secret.

cards press box
02-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Ozzie is very optimistic about Contreras, even suggesting that at the recovery pace that he has, he could be vying for the fifth spot in the rotation during the spring. Like I said, highly unlikely, but he might be back by May if we are lucky (I will gladly eat my words).

Contreras' weight loss can only help his recovery from the Achilles injury. If a healthy Contreras were back by mid-May, the Sox pitching could really surprise. Imagine this rotation for basically 3/4 of the year:

Mark Buehrle
Gavin Floyd
John Danks
Jose Contreras
Bartolo Colon

If Contreras and Colon throw well, this staff would feature various pitching styles and would be tough. What's more, the notion of getting a few starts from Jeff Marquez or Clayton Richard as a 6th or 7th starter suggests a possible pitching depth that few have predicted. This would also free up Richard to be the second lefty in the bullpen, a spot in which he could do quite well.

whitesox901
02-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Pitchers and catchers...spring at last! (or at least in my book)

hawkjt
02-16-2009, 03:02 AM

Have to wonder if he could throw as hard when he is that thin...again, I do not think he was ever fat at all...just muscular...they always said he worked out obsessively.
Hope losing the weight does not change his stuff.

Frater Perdurabo
02-16-2009, 05:55 AM
That's fantastic news on Contreras. Losing 42 pounds is about seven pounds per month for six months. (Didn't he suffer the injury in late July/early August?) Certainly he wasn't carrying 42 extra pounds of unnecessary fat to shed (Colon probably has that and more), so clearly some of the weight loss was muscle/lean body mass. I still wouldn't count on him being ready to go before the All-Star break, because he's obviously lost leg muscle, and pitching relies just as much on the legs as the upper body. Nevertheless, no matter when he comes back this season, it will be like acquiring a starting pitcher with ace-caliber stuff and a fresh arm.

:bandance:

WhiteSox1989
02-16-2009, 07:39 AM
I am so excited, I can't even wait until next Wednesday.

DumpJerry
02-16-2009, 08:13 AM
The Tribune is reporting 25 pounds (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-16-white-sox-bits-chicagofeb16,0,6034160.story) were shed.

oeo
02-16-2009, 08:49 AM
The Tribune is reporting 25 pounds (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-16-white-sox-bits-chicagofeb16,0,6034160.story) were shed.

Three different numbers...seriously? What is everyone doing, guessing? Why don't they just ask him?

everafan
02-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Why isn't anyone mentioning the elephant in the room?

guillensdisciple
02-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Three different numbers...seriously? What is everyone doing, guessing? Why don't they just ask him?

I would take Ozzie's word for it before I took the media's so I will stick it at 30 pounds.
I have to admit- a rotation of Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Colon, and Contreras does sound pretty good, and all the rotation depth definitely adds a little flavor to the season.

DumpJerry
02-16-2009, 09:16 AM
:scratch:

Ok. There's an elephant in the room.

Don't know how it got through the door, but it's in the corner eating peanuts.

CashMan
02-16-2009, 09:21 AM
On the other hand, I don't want him to rush back and risk aggravating the injury.

Why, this is probably his last year with the Sox?

guillensdisciple
02-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Why, this is probably his last year with the Sox?

Even though he is getting paid an obscene amount of money, I will still play the "he is a human being". I would like to see his rehab produce earlier results too, but nothing dramatic it it will cost him this season and maybe the next.

chaotic8512
02-16-2009, 09:38 AM
For those of us who missed the report, does anyone have a link to the new, slimmed-down Contreras? I need to see it to believe it.

DumpJerry
02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
For those of us who missed the report, does anyone have a link to the new, slimmed-down Contreras? I need to see it to believe it.
This (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2156834&postcount=26) post.

White City
02-16-2009, 10:11 AM
:scratch:

Ok. There's an elephant in the room.

Don't know how it got through the door, but it's in the corner eating peanuts.

I also noted this elephant, but I won't be the first to speak his name.

PalehosePlanet
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Okay, I'll be the first to bite. Is the so called elephant your opinion that Jose isn't good?

Otherwise, I'll freely admit I'm clueless.

everafan
02-16-2009, 10:33 AM
No - maybe I'm too cynical, but usually when a guy reports to camp 25 lbs lighter it means he's missed a few steroid cycles. Especially one who usually has giant, hulking physique and is noted or working out constantly.

cws05champ
02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
No - maybe I'm too cynical, but usually when a guy reports to camp 25 lbs lighter it means he's missed a few steroid cycles. Especially one who usually has giant, hulking physique and is noted or working out constantly.
Yes, but we are talking about a guy that was injured. Not a guy that played the whole season the year before and magically lost 30lbs over a healthy off-season. We have a testing program in MLB NOW. I'm not going hijack this thread to argue the merits of the system in place.

Through Diet one can lose that weight and with non stressful cardio activities such as swimming and biking you can take it off. I'm not nieve and saying there's no way he could have been on them...but this is not a normal scenario with the injury over the offseason.

CashMan
02-16-2009, 11:13 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, pitchers do not need to be the hulk in order to pitch. I doubt Jose took them, if he was a hitter, I would probably agree with you.

Nellie_Fox
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, pitchers do not need to be the hulk in order to pitch. I doubt Jose took them, if he was a hitter, I would probably agree with you.I don't think weight loss is an automatic indication of past steroid use. His physician may well have advised him to lose weight to take stress off the repaired tendon.

However, pitchers were using (Roger Clemens, anyone?) and it wasn't just for muscle bulk, but for more rapid recovery between starts. It's just sad that the scandal has led everyone to be skeptical of all players.

soltrain21
02-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, pitchers do not need to be the hulk in order to pitch. I doubt Jose took them, if he was a hitter, I would probably agree with you.

Daver has always said more pitchers took them than hitters.

DumpJerry
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Pitchers also would do 'roids to build up their push-off leg.

DirtySox
02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Morning Briefings (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/morning-briefings.html)

HomeFish
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I assume that "elephant in the room" refers to either Bartolo Colon, or to the fact that we have gaping holes at 2B, CF, and leadoff.

DumpJerry
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Morning Briefings (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/morning-briefings.html)
Thanks. At least we now know what the Elephant is.

The AJ/Farmer rift.

chaotic8512
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
This (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2156834&postcount=26) post.

Sorry, I wasn't clear... is there a picture? I want indisputable visual evidence. :redneck

Rohan
02-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think that we should be optimistic about a guy like jose losing weight.
He's a pitcher who heavily relies on his motion and speed to get batters out. Unlike guys like mark buehrle, greg maddux, and jon garland, Jose's strength is his seemingly always moving splitter, and 2 finger fastball.

In order to throw that pitch it is required that the pitcher put a lot of their weight behind the ball, pinching the velocity to get the right spin and drop.

Without that weight and velocity, he could very well be tossing up beach balls.

02-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Anyone have a link to ST photos?

DirtySox
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Merkin's Blog (http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/02/news_notes_and_quotes.html)

Merkin's update for today.

whitesox901
02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
the Broadcast schedule came out, but WGN (The media outlet I need) and the White Sox don't have the station listed on the schedule yet

Jerksticks
02-16-2009, 11:22 PM
The elephant is enormous. This is one of the bigger elephants in baseball at any given time, and more importantly, will always be. Is it not?

JSticks

Jerksticks
02-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Contreras' weight loss can only help his recovery from the Achilles injury. If a healthy Contreras were back by mid-May, the Sox pitching could really surprise. Imagine this rotation for basically 3/4 of the year:

Mark Buehrle
Gavin Floyd
John Danks
Jose Contreras
Bartolo Colon

If Contreras and Colon throw well, this staff would feature various pitching styles and would be tough. What's more, the notion of getting a few starts from Jeff Marquez or Clayton Richard as a 6th or 7th starter suggests a possible pitching depth that few have predicted. This would also free up Richard to be the second lefty in the bullpen, a spot in which he could do quite well.

Man how cool would this be? Everybody just beasting, rolling up 8 innings like its sheboygan sausage. There is a percentage attached to this scenario, albeit a small one, and i'll take it.

JSticks

hawkjt
02-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Merkin's Blog (http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/02/news_notes_and_quotes.html)

Merkin's update for today.

Danks and Floyd are throwing 95-96mph on first day? Shut'em down and preserve those arms for Sept-Oct.

Danks and floyd make me feel optimistic...thank you Kenny!!

guillensdisciple
02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Danks and Floyd are throwing 95-96mph on first day? Shut'em down and preserve those arms for Sept-Oct.

It's the first days of practice. Danks and Floyd have extremely fresh arms, and last September they were hitting mid 90''s anyway. They are talented, what does Ozzie expect?

cws05champ
02-17-2009, 11:50 AM

I read somewhere that Danks has put on about 10lbs of muscle over the offseason to get in better shape. I'm excited to see if he can progress as we all hope he can.

DrCrawdad
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ohio/sports/m-basebl/auto_action/1727366.jpeg

What's going on with Adam Russell? I don't remember hearing much about him this off-season nor about how he fits into the '09 plans.

sox1970
02-17-2009, 01:36 PM
What's going on with Adam Russell? I don't remember hearing much about him this off-season nor about how he fits into the '09 plans.

I think he has the inside track. If I had to project a pitching staff right now, I'd go with:

Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Colon, Marquez

Bullpen: Richard, Russell, Carrasco, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink, Jenks

DirtySox
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Sun-Times Blog (http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/)

Some tidbits from Cowley:

- Lillibridge looks like he's 12.
- The Changeup Dotel is working on doesn't look very good.
- Gavin looks impressive, but KW told him to ease up a bit.

areilly
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I read somewhere that Danks has put on about 10lbs of muscle over the offseason to get in better shape. I'm excited to see if he can progress as we all hope he can.

Awesome to hear the young guys are coming out swinging. A lot hinges on those two and I'm glad to hear they're ready for it.

CashMan
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM

This is Ozzie guessing, not a fact.

CashMan
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM

This guy is going to be a MONSTER if he pitches like he did in the Black Out game.

asindc
02-17-2009, 03:26 PM

I take it that you have never lost 25 lbs. in 6 months, which averages to less than 5 pounds a month. Certainly doable by an average guy, moreso by a professional athlete who has millions on the line.

By the way, I came back from an achilles injury in about 5 months. I wasn't competing at a top level, mind you, but Contreras' recovery time does not surprise me.

DirtySox
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Contreras Has Outside Chance at No. 5 Spot (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/contreras-now-has-outside-chance-at-no-5-spot.html)

Absurd.

Lorenzo Barcelo
02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Anyone know why Bartolo isn't talking to the media?

everafan
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I take it that you have never lost 25 lbs. in 6 months, which averages to less than 5 pounds a month. Certainly doable by an average guy, moreso by a professional athlete who has millions on the line.

By the way, I came back from an achilles injury in about 5 months. I wasn't competing at a top level, mind you, but Contreras' recovery time does not surprise me.

Hope that's it, then.

DrCrawdad
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Valid question. I'd guess he's tired of the obesity type questions. Frankly, I don't care if he's 350 lbs if he pitches well.

oeo
02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Hope that's it, then.

If you were going to make an accusation, I'd think it would make more sense that he's on something now. It looks like he's just lost some excess weight, not that he's suddenly shrunk (like Sosa or I-Roid, for insance).

everafan
02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
If you were going to make an accusation, I'd think it would make more sense that he's on something now. It looks like he's just lost some excess weight, not that he's suddenly shrunk (like Sosa or I-Roid, for insance).

He didn't look small yesterday - he was still muscular.

CashMan
02-17-2009, 04:17 PM

My guess is, that he still cannot speak English. He hears the questions in English and has no idea what to say.

KenBerryGrab
02-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Contreras Has Outside Chance at No. 5 Spot (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/contreras-now-has-outside-chance-at-no-5-spot.html)

Absurd.

Why? If he's ready, he's ready.

JermaineDye05
02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
This guy is going to be a MONSTER if he pitches like he did in the Black Out game.

True, however the run support he received in the blackout game is indicative to the run support he's received during almost every start. He could have easily won 15+ games last year if the offense didn't let him down so many times. Hopefully he can start getting some run support.

guillensdisciple
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
True, however the run support he received in the blackout game is indicative to the run support he's received during almost every start. He could have easily won 15+ games last year if the offense didn't let him down so many times. Hopefully he can start getting some run support.

Yep, if this offense plays efficient baseball, then the White Sox have a legitimate chance of being a top 5 in the A.L., even without a secure fourth or fifth starter.

oeo
02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
He didn't look small yesterday - he was still muscular.

I was saying he lost the gut that he's had the past couple of years.

hawkjt
02-18-2009, 02:58 AM

Don't they have a radar gun at this bazillion dollar complex?

Konerko05
02-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Don't they have a radar gun at this bazillion dollar complex?

No, the organization had to pawn them in order to pay Jayson Nix's salary.

For the remainder of spring training, Ozzie Guillen will guess the pitch speed and write the number on a dry erase board.

DumpJerry
02-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Really? What did your radar gun read?

CashMan
02-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Really? What did your radar gun read?

That John Danks doesn't throw 96 MPH. The article sounded like Ozzie thinks they are throwing 95-96 MPH.

oeo
02-18-2009, 11:42 AM
That John Danks doesn't throw 96 MPH. The article sounded like Ozzie thinks they are throwing 95-96 MPH.

It likely was an exaggeration since he said they were throwing 96 next to Buehrle, but Danks can definitely hit in the mid-90s.

DirtySox
02-18-2009, 11:43 AM
More Spring Training Tidbits:

Thome Wants to Play 2 More Seasons (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/thome-wants-to-play-two-more-seasons.html)

Russell/Stewart on Rebound (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/russell-stewart-on-rebound.html)

Viciedo Reports Looking Fit (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/viciedo-reports-looks-sharp.html)

CashMan
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
It likely was an exaggeration since he said they were throwing 96 next to Buehrle, but Danks can definitely hit in the mid-90s.

You pretty much said what I was trying to say. Ozzie sees a guy throwing high 80s low 90s, then sees Danks and Floyd throwing low to mid 90s. I bought a magizine that had a preview for each team in it yesterday and it says for Floyd: "Sneaks up on hitters with an 88-92 mph fastball", and for Danks: "Adds and subtracts from an 89-94 mph fastball". So when Ozzie says they are throwing 96 mph, I wanna se a radar gun, I don't know too many pitchers who turn into power pitchers overnight.

CashMan
02-18-2009, 12:07 PM
More Spring Training Tidbits:

Thome Wants to Play 2 More Seasons (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/thome-wants-to-play-two-more-seasons.html)

Russell/Stewart on Rebound (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/russell-stewart-on-rebound.html)

Viciedo Reports Looking Fit (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/viciedo-reports-looks-sharp.html)

Good luck to Thome, because it won't be in a Sox uni. Russel is big, and hopefully he can win a bullpen position, as for Stewart sounds like he figured out he isn't that good. From every thing I read on Vicedo, everyone had him pegged as this 6' 6 250lb monster, and I read he is 5' 11.

khan
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm glad we have a golden god like Josh Fields at 3rd base.

I mean, I'd rather not have a lesser player in his place at 3rd base. You know, a guy who can't keep himself from striking out or booting the ball at this vital position. Such a player would HAVE to report early, so as to get in as much work as possible.

But not the golden god Josh Fields. Such a proven veteran like him can report later than schmucks like Thome and Dye. He needs his rest.

Rocky Soprano
02-18-2009, 04:01 PM

I mean, I'd rather not have a lesser player in his place at 3rd base. You know, a guy who can't keep himself from striking out or booting the ball at this vital position. Such a player would HAVE to report early, so as to get in as much work as possible.

But not the golden god Josh Fields. Such a proven veteran like him can report later than schmucks like Viciedo and Dye. He needs his rest.

I could of sworn that Fields reported early.

oeo
02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I could of sworn that Fields reported early.

He was there on Sunday.

spawn
02-18-2009, 04:03 PM

But not the golden god Josh Fields. Such a proven veteran like him can report later than schmucks like Thome and Dye. He needs his rest.
Is there anything you don't bitch about?

oeo
02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
You pretty much said what I was trying to say. Ozzie sees a guy throwing high 80s low 90s, then sees Danks and Floyd throwing low to mid 90s. I bought a magizine that had a preview for each team in it yesterday and it says for Floyd: "Sneaks up on hitters with an 88-92 mph fastball", and for Danks: "Adds and subtracts from an 89-94 mph fastball". So when Ozzie says they are throwing 96 mph, I wanna se a radar gun, I don't know too many pitchers who turn into power pitchers overnight.

Well Floyd can also get it up there when he reaches back.

Rocky Soprano
02-18-2009, 04:06 PM
He was there on Sunday.

I thought so, should of figured khan was just trying to pull something out of his ass again.

JohnTucker0814
02-18-2009, 04:16 PM

So you've really made an ass out of yourself... He worked over the winter with Cora in Florida AND reported early to spring training by approval of MLB! Golden God? What the hell...

areilly
02-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Fields reported early, as stated above and by the Herald (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=272662&src=162). By all means, join me and the rest of the doubters in tearing the team apart but damn khan, at least do your homework for once. You're making us look bad.

hawkjt
02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Fields reported early, as stated above and by the Herald (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=272662&src=162). By all means, join me and the rest of the doubters in tearing the team apart but damn khan, at least do your homework for once. You're making us look bad.

What he meant was that while Fields reported early...it was not early enough for him....should have been there on New Years day instead of loafing around doing ground balls at Cora's house. What a bum!

DirtySox
02-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Today's Spring Training Notes:

Workout Observations (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/workout-observations.html)

Beckham Seeks Batting Springboard (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/beckham-seeks-batting-springboard.html)

New Town, Same Message (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/new-town-same-message.html)

Konerko Leery of Revealing '03 List (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/02/konerko-leery-of-2003-list-defends-arod.html)

Ozzie Asks how he can get Better (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-20-white-sox-bits-chicagofeb20,0,3649578.story)

Viciedo Gets Help from New Friends (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-20-white-sox-chicagofeb20,0,2434229.story)

DirtySox
02-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Amidst all the fluff pieces, a blurb (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-20-white-sox-bits-chicagofeb20,0,4334815.story) mentions that Beckham will be asked to play both SS, 2nd and possibly 3rd.

khan
02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey, I missed that. It happens. I don't read the Herald.

Having said that, I still think that Fields is going to suck defensively. I don't think that 1 measly offseason [out of 5 offseasons as a professional] will fix him. I doubt that "Two weekends" where he "stayed two or three days" with a mere "three hours" of work a day will make much difference. At best, 18 hours to improve his defensive abilities this offseason? Color me as dubious.

I also don't think he will do much to reduce his strikeout rate and make contact more frequently. I could be wrong [again], but I don't recall him taking additional time with a hitting instructor nor getting additional time in a cage in his 5 offseasons as a professional. You know, to help himself get better at some of the offensive aspects of baseball.

I also don't think much of his work ethic, or he would have gotten better at defense earlier in his career, not wait half a decade to decide to seek additional help in one of his glaring weaknesses.

I could be [and have been] wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if Betemit or someone else takes away Fields' starting position. But I would be SHOCKED if Fields plays a respectable defense @ 3rd base, and Ks < 150 times this year [if he even starts the majority of the games].

JermaineDye05
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
A nice blurb I read on Jesse Rogers blog.

Some pitchers are ahead of others. One guy throwing bulletts was Adam Russell. Remember, he made the playoff roster last year and can fire it, plus he’s huge so there’s a lot of upside. Gavin Floyd and D.J. Carrasco threw to hitters including Calros Quentin who looks like he’s back in top form.

Granted this is spring training, and batting practice. However, it's nice to hear that he's looking good out there.

Marqhead
02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
A nice blurb I read on Jesse Rogers blog.

Granted this is spring training, and batting practice. However, it's nice to hear that he's looking good out there.

That is indeed good news. I'm not expecting him to shock us like he did last year, but his consistency in the 3 spot will be huge. We all saw what a month/postseason without him did.

Here's to hoping he's completely recovered! :gulp:

hawkjt
02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Russell is throwing bb's already? That might account for Dayan saying he was afraid of getting hit,initially. Sounds like it would hurt to get hit by Adam Russell.

As for Fields, Cora says it is his first time being healthy,totally, so I will give him a fair chance to show what he can do. Was he that horrible at third in 2007?

I just do not get why fans get on here and rip on players who they really have no inside info on...like Fields work ethic.

voodoochile
02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey, I missed that. It happens. I don't read the Herald.

Having said that, I still think that Fields is going to suck defensively. I don't think that 1 measly offseason [out of 5 offseasons as a professional] will fix him. I doubt that "Two weekends" where he "stayed two or three days" with a mere "three hours" of work a day will make much difference. At best, 18 hours to improve his defensive abilities this offseason? Color me as dubious.

I also don't think he will do much to reduce his strikeout rate and make contact more frequently. I could be wrong [again], but I don't recall him taking additional time with a hitting instructor nor getting additional time in a cage in his 5 offseasons as a professional. You know, to help himself get better at some of the offensive aspects of baseball.

I also don't think much of his work ethic, or he would have gotten better at defense earlier in his career, not wait half a decade to decide to seek additional help in one of his glaring weaknesses.

I could be [and have been] wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if Betemit or someone else takes away Fields' starting position. But I would be SHOCKED if Fields plays a respectable defense @ 3rd base, and Ks < 150 times this year [if he even starts the majority of the games].

Well I understand your being dubious, but it's not just the time spent this off season, it's the fact that it's been piled on top of a lifetime of playing the position and the fact that the guy who helped him improve is a coach on the team and can continue to fine tune things and reinforce the good behaviors as the season progresses.

The K's are always going to be a problem, but if he hits 30-35 HR this year and posts a slg of .450+ he'll be fine hitting 7th or 8th.