PDA

View Full Version : Sox handling of box office sales

ChiSoxFan81
02-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I was really disappointed at the way the Sox handled ticket sales this morning at the Cell. I realize it was the first day that the box office was open, and they did let everyone inside the stadium instead of waiting outside in the cold. However, it didn't seem like they had alot of clerks working. There was probably about 200 people in line, and we moved up about 10 feet in 45 minutes before we just left.

I would have already bought tickets, but I got a gift card for Christmas, and I called them last week and they said I have to use it at the box office. So not only was I not able to buy tickets during the SPC presale that I paid to get in on, but I didn't even get tickets today because I didn't want to wait 4 hours. I get that people were likely getting group packages and buying mulitple games, but it seems to me they could have had a lot more hands on deck. :(:

It's Dankerific
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't want to work on a Saturday Valentine's Day....

WhiteSoxFan84
02-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Why? What's the huge deal about this anyway? Man, Hallmark, Fanny May Candy, and floral shops all across the world love suckers like you.

I celebrate it, when I'm with someone, but I worked all day and am about to "celebrate it" in a hour or so with my girlfriend. Got flowers, candy, and dinner is on it's way (Lou Malnati's). I didn't mind working one bit and don't mind working any day other than Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Opening Day, any day there is a White Sox "do or die" game on, or any day Sox have a playoff game. Luckily, where I work at, we have the first 3 holidays I listed off. I can even work Super Bowl Sunday, as long as I get off 15 minutes before kickoff.

jabrch
02-14-2009, 08:55 PM
You can please some of the people....

rdivaldi
02-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Why? What's the huge deal about this anyway? Man, Hallmark, Fanny May Candy, and floral shops all across the world love suckers like you.

Some might say that anyone who falls in line to buy gifts for any holiday is a sucker...

WhiteSoxFan84
02-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Some might say that anyone who falls in line to buy gifts for any holiday is a sucker...

To each their own, and the same goes to my opinion earlier on what I said to dankerific, but I choose to celebrate almost every holiday to some extent. God willing, after I have kids, I won't cancel Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. any year for ANY reason. Even deaths in the family won't stop me. It's not disrespect, I just don't feel like kids should be somewhat punished because of something that mainly impacts only us adults. But, I won't cry about working on Valentine's Day. That's just comical.

It's Dankerific
02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
To each their own, and the same goes to my opinion earlier on what I said to dankerific, but I choose to celebrate almost every holiday to some extent. God willing, after I have kids, I won't cancel Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. any year for ANY reason. Even deaths in the family won't stop me. It's not disrespect, I just don't feel like kids should be somewhat punished because of something that mainly impacts only us adults. But, I won't cry about working on Valentine's Day. That's just comical.

Is it comical to cry about not being able to buy tickets to a sporting event on the day of your choosing?

Not only is it a holiday, its a saturday. You are complaining because you didn't want to use ticketmaster. Come on now.

Go on monday, or any other day they are open and get the damn tickets. Any game you could have reasonably expected to get will still be there.

PS, if something is important to me, I can wait in a line.

champagne030
02-14-2009, 09:43 PM
You can please some of the people....

All of the time.... :happybday:happybday:happybday

ChiSoxFan81
02-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Is it comical to cry about not being able to buy tickets to a sporting event on the day of your choosing?

Not only is it a holiday, its a saturday. You are complaining because you didn't want to use ticketmaster. Come on now.

Go on monday, or any other day they are open and get the damn tickets. Any game you could have reasonably expected to get will still be there.

I think your reading comprehension is lacking. I clearly stated that I have a gift card that they will NOT accept either on Ticketbastard or over the phone. I have to present it at the box office. I spent money on the Sox Pride Club, partially because of the presale, and was not able to purchase tickets on Ticketmaster during the presale, or at any time for that matter. It's not a matter of going down another day to get the tickets I want. It's the matter of me driving from the south burbs to the Cell to utilize my gift card, and then being expected to wait in line for hours. I could see even waiting an hour, but the line just wasn't moving at all. Some of the other people in line were incredulous as well. I didn't go down to avoid convenience charges. When they are advertising all over the place, including on the radio that tickets go on sale at the box office today, I'd expect them to have staff on hand to handle the rush. It was very poorly handled.

oeo
02-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I feel a Brian Anderson hijack coming.

DirtySox
02-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Brian Anderson is out.

Complaints about not drafting Rick Porcello is what's hip now.

oeo
02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Brian Anderson is out.

Now you've done it!

LoveYourSuit
02-14-2009, 10:58 PM
The Sox have a box office?

SOXfnNlansing
02-14-2009, 10:59 PM
I would put BA in center to start the season for his defensive prowess. Owens speed does no good if he's not on base. Besides he has a rag arm.:scratch:

Lip Man 1
02-14-2009, 11:21 PM
On the subject of the Sox financial situation, Brooks was quoted in a story yesterday as saying that season ticket sales are "steady" (direct quote) and that the individual game ticket sales have been higher than anticipated.

He said the only negative right now to the Sox finiancial situation was that advertising was projected to be down from last year perhaps 10% to 15% and that two corporate sponsors have said they won't be able to work with the Sox this season.

Overall to me it sounds like things aren't to bad on the South Side.

Brooks' story is at white sox. com if memory serves.

Lip

jabrch
02-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Lost Pontiac and whomever the bank is. That's no small change.

GoSox2K3
02-15-2009, 12:53 AM

Oh, come on. Talk about exaggerating! It's not like it's Christmas Day. Do people have romantic dates lined up at 10:00 in the morning on Valentine's Day? :?:

I'd hate to think the Sox box office had problems because the employees who are paid to work on Saturdays just "didn't want to be there" at 10:00 in the morning on Valentine's Day.

GoSox2K3
02-15-2009, 01:07 AM

Come on now, what? Ticketmaster's surcharges are ridiculous. Now we're ripping on people who want to go to the box office to avoid Ticketmaster's surcharges? :dunno:

Maybe he couldn't go on Monday. That's a lame excuse for bad service on Saturday - to just tell someone he "should have gone on Monday." How do you know the tickets will still be there? The Sox have made some decent sales this weekend.

:rolleyes: You'd make a nice customer service representative. So, according to your logic, no one who ever waits in any line for anything should ever complain about how slow the line moves? :scratch:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2009, 01:42 AM
I actually wana touch on what's "grinding my gears" with the White Sox ticket sales situation...

The fact that I have 0 chance of buying home opener and Cubs series tickets on the day single-game tickets go on sale or any day after that. Of course I can get them on eBay, StubHub, etc., but unless we fork over the cash for 13-game Ozzie Plans or some other type of season ticket plan, I won't have a chance. That's not right. It's downright bull**** IMO. Not even the sCrUBS pull that **** off.

oeo
02-15-2009, 01:46 AM
I actually wana touch on what's "grinding my gears" with the White Sox ticket sales situation...

The fact that I have 0 chance of buying home opener and Cubs series tickets on the day single-game tickets go on sale or any day after that. Of course I can get them on eBay, StubHub, etc., but unless we fork over the cash for 13-game Ozzie Plans or some other type of season ticket plan, I won't have a chance. That's not right. It's downright bull**** IMO. Not even the sCrUBS pull that **** off.

What do you expect from something that's high in demand? You want them to leave a few thousand seats and change your chances from zero to slim?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2009, 01:59 AM
What do you expect from something that's high in demand? You want them to leave a few thousand seats and change your chances from zero to slim?

I understand it's a business and they have to do what they have to do, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it when I can't afford season tickets just yet. Or does it in your world?

oeo
02-15-2009, 02:02 AM
I understand it's a business and they have to do what they have to do, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it when I can't afford season tickets just yet. Or does it in your world?

There's not happy (can't make everyone happy), and bitching. What you're doing is bitching. In 'my world' I don't get bitching about something you understand, but I guess that's just me in my own world. :shrug:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2009, 02:21 AM
There's not happy (can't make everyone happy), and bitching. What you're doing is bitching. In 'my world' I don't get bitching about something you understand, but I guess that's just me in my own world. :shrug:

:geezer:

I wish I was a baller like you oeo. If I rolled with stacks of Benjamins in my pocket, I'd be happy in either world, your's or mine.

guillen4life13
02-15-2009, 08:52 AM

I wish I was a baller like you oeo. If I rolled with stacks of Benjamins in my pocket, I'd be happy in either world, your's or mine.

I think the that oeo's point flew over your head, but it might have taken a dump on you in the process.

I feel you on having to wait and the Sox should probably have more staff on hand for days like yesterday. All I can say is next time, get there earlier.

Ragator43
02-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Come on now, what? Ticketmaster's surcharges are ridiculous. Now we're ripping on people who want to go to the box office to avoid Ticketmaster's surcharges? :dunno:

Maybe he couldn't go on Monday. That's a lame excuse for bad service on Saturday - to just tell someone he "should have gone on Monday." How do you know the tickets will still be there? The Sox have made some decent sales this weekend.

:rolleyes: You'd make a nice customer service representative. So, according to your logic, no one who ever waits in any line for anything should ever complain about how slow the line moves? :scratch:

You can't have it both ways. If you want to wait til the box office opens, you run the chance that the tickets for the game(s) you want are not going to be available, especially after a week of presales and a day of sales open to the public.

It's not like the rest of us enjoy the fees and taxes that accompany TM purchases, but it's the burden of the beast for the time being.

SOXfnNlansing
02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
I used to get up at 3am when there was no internet. My buddy and I would drive to Sox park and get in line on that magical Saturday. After standing in line for a few hours, we would take turns going over to the Bridgeport Cafe to eat breakfast. All the news outlets would be there with camera crews interviewing 'fanatics' standing in line out in the cold for Sox tickets.

At 10am the windows would open. Once it was my turn, I would read the games I want to the teller. He would print the tickets and I'd hand over the cash. It was great walking away from the window with a fist full of tickets. People still in line would ask "what do they have left?" "Want to sell any?".

When I was young, that is the way it was. Imo, the old way is made for younger people that don't have alot of money. Now that I'm 40 and established, there is nothing better than having season tickets. Getting tickets on the Monday presale was so much easier than camping out on a cold Saturday morning. In 2005 I didn't have season tickets. I went to maybe 5 games during the season. Once the playoffs started, I couldn't get tickets. That's just the way it goes. I told myself I just have to make an investment with some sort of ST plan to have the opportunity to get tickets.

champagne030
02-15-2009, 10:36 AM
On the subject of the Sox financial situation, Brooks was quoted in a story yesterday as saying that season ticket sales are "steady" (direct quote) and that the individual game ticket sales have been higher than anticipated.

He said the only negative right now to the Sox finiancial situation was that advertising was projected to be down from last year perhaps 10% to 15% and that two corporate sponsors have said they won't be able to work with the Sox this season.

Lip

Yeah, considering the two sponsors probably total less than $1M, cries of poor by Kenny seem false.

oeo
02-15-2009, 10:40 AM

:rolling:

Keep making a fool of yourself.

Lip

Yeah, considering the two sponsors probably total less than $1M, cries of poor by Kenny seem false.

It's a good thing we have our two financial experts here. We're currently in a global recession, but yep, the Sox are crying poor. Must be.

guillen4life13
02-15-2009, 10:49 AM
:rolling:

Keep making a fool of yourself.

It's a good thing we have our two financial experts here. We're currently in a global recession, but yep, the Sox are crying poor. Must be.

Keep in mind that it's two sponsors so far. More will probably bow out over the next couple years and you need to be prepared for that.

champagne030
02-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Just going by what the Chief Marketing Officer of the White Sox is telling us. :shrug:

Maybe we're slashing payroll to subsidize moving ST to Jerry's backyard.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/So-far-the-Dodgers-aren-t-a-big-hit-in-Arizona?urn=mlb,141297

Scottiehaswheels
02-15-2009, 11:26 AM
It's '84... If he wasn't bitching about tickets for the most premium games of the year in some fashion, I don't think he'd bother to post here.

oeo
02-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Just going by what the Chief Marketing Officer of the White Sox is telling us. :shrug:

First off, according to Lip, Brooks said that ticket sales are 'higher than anticipated.' Maybe a miscalculation on the part of the Sox, but that's it. What is with you and always thinking the Sox are trying to screw you over? Are you this way with everything? Watch your back champagne, somebody's out there to get you.

Secondly, things economically are going to get worse before they get better. So, who knows how tickets go the rest of the year? Who knows how the sponsors go?

champagne030
02-15-2009, 11:39 AM
First off, according to Lip, Brooks said that ticket sales are 'higher than anticipated.' Maybe a miscalculation on the part of the Sox, but that's it.

Miscalculation? Revenue from ticket sales is up versus a year ago. Ticket sales are the single largest form of revenue a team collects.

Secondly, things economically are going to get worse before they get better. So, who knows how tickets go the rest of the year? Who knows how the sponsors go?The majority of tickets have already been sold. Things may have changed, but sponsorship used to be paid in two installments. The first 1/2 has already been paid.

Baseball generated $6B+ last season.....It's not going out of business anytime soon.

It's Dankerific
02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Man, I think its bull**** that the White Sox don't open a box office next to my house. Its absolutely ridiculous that I have to put on a pair of pants in order to use this gift card I have. Yeah Yeah, I know I could probably use this gift card at the game when I was there, but I specifically wanted to use it on Sox Tickets. Not just any tickets, but I'm sure the person who gave me this gift card wanted me to see the Cubs/Sox games. I'm aware there are 78 other home games, but this is just some serious bull****. All the ****s using ticketmaster, showing all that bling. What the hell!!!!!

Somehow, The Sox need to cater to me, and as soon as I can figure out exactly how much I'd like them to bend over, they better do it!!!!

oeo
02-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Miscalculation? Revenue from ticket sales is up versus a year ago. Ticket sales are the single largest form of revenue a team collects.

The majority of tickets have already been sold. Things may have changed, but sponsorship used to be paid in two installments. The first 1/2 has already been paid.

Baseball generated $6B+ last season.....It's not going out of business anytime soon.

Obviously it was somewhat of a miscalculation when he says they're higher than anticipated.

Besides, I just read the interview on whitesox.com, and it's not nearly as cut and dry as Lip made it out to be. Seems more to me like he read the first couple paragraphs and ran with it.

areilly
02-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Of course I can get them on eBay, StubHub, etc., but unless we fork over the cash for 13-game Ozzie Plans or some other type of season ticket plan, I won't have a chance. That's not right. It's downright bull**** IMO. Not even the sCrUBS pull that **** off.

Actually, the Cubs pull off a much more elaborate scam and in a manner much more malicious and anti-consumer. Not that the Sox are innocent here, but the Cubs' ticket-selling practices are generally known as the most evil in the land.

And what possible reason would the person in charge of selling White Sox baseball have to mislead anyone about the demand for the product they were shilling?

soxfanreggie
02-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Dankerific, (I know you were being sarcastic) Nobody said you had to put on a pair of pants to go down to the box office. :D: You could put on shorts. I don't think the cops (nor those standing in line with you) would like the other alternative. :tongue:

I haven't purchased any Sox tickets yet, but hopefully when I get my move schedule down, I can get up there for a weekday night game or something amongst my softball schedule.

champagne030
02-15-2009, 02:40 PM
And what possible reason would the person in charge of selling White Sox baseball have to mislead anyone about the demand for the product they were shilling?

Exactly. :scratch:

DumpJerry
02-15-2009, 02:46 PM
This is the greatest thread of the offseason. It combines:
1. Bitching about the Sox' customer service operation
2. Bitching about the alleged financial condition of the Sox.
3. Comments by people who do not work for the Sox on why the team operates in the manner in which it does.
4. More speculation than is found on a busy day at the Stock Exchange.

This is normally carried out in five different threads.

areilly
02-15-2009, 02:51 PM
3. Comments by people who do not work for the Sox on why the team operates in the manner in which it does.

Don't forget Brian Anderson.

jabrch
02-15-2009, 02:52 PM

It is missing a BA or Aaron Rowand reference.

champagne030
02-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Actually, the Chief Marketing Officer of the White Sox has been quoted in this thread about the financial condition of the Sox.

oeo
02-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Actually, the Chief Marketing Officer of the White Sox has been quoted in this thread about the financial condition of the Sox.

First off, no he hasn't been quoted. His words were incorrectly paraphrased; the way Lip presented his summary was misleading. Secondly, he doesn't say things are all fine and dandy, like you want to believe. He says season tickets didn't take quite the dip they expected them to, but there are still other problems with sponsorships, how much you can expect in terms of walk-ups, etc.

This is quite funny, though. Let's get this straight:
1)Cannot trust Kenny Williams.
2)Cannot trust Jerry Reinsdorf.
3)Can trust Brooks Boyer.

You do know all three of these guys are coming from the same place, right? Why are KW and JR deceitful, but because BB said one thing that you liked (season tickets), he is trustworthy?

champagne030
02-15-2009, 05:53 PM
First off, no he hasn't been quoted.

Yes, yes he has. Brooks Boyer has been quoted that ticket sales are ahead of last year.

oeo
02-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Yes, yes he has. Brooks Boyer has been quoted that ticket sales are ahead of last year.

In this thread? Where?

The only mention of what Brooks said was in Lip's original complete hijack where he incorrectly paraphrased what was said in the whitesox.com article. He never even says that they're ahead of last year, he says optimistically they hope to be where they were at last year. Direct quote: "Knock on wood -- we should be about where we were last year."

He then goes on further about the other problems which you don't care about.

ChiSoxFan81
02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Man, I think its bull**** that the White Sox don't open a box office next to my house. Its absolutely ridiculous that I have to put on a pair of pants in order to use this gift card I have. Yeah Yeah, I know I could probably use this gift card at the game when I was there, but I specifically wanted to use it on Sox Tickets. Not just any tickets, but I'm sure the person who gave me this gift card wanted me to see the Cubs/Sox games. I'm aware there are 78 other home games, but this is just some serious bull****. All the ****s using ticketmaster, showing all that bling. What the hell!!!!!

Somehow, The Sox need to cater to me, and as soon as I can figure out exactly how much I'd like them to bend over, they better do it!!!!

Is it too late to nominate Dankerific for an Oscar??

Seriously, you're a clown. If this was any other business, I'd refuse to ever go there again. But being the Sox, I'm not going anywhere. That doesn't mean I don't have a right to complain about poor service. Not being wealthy, I asked for a Sox gift card for Christmas so I could get tickets for a game or two this season. I didn't ask for a Sox gift card so I could buy churros and funnel cake. They already have the money from the gift card, and then tell me I can only buy tickets at the box office. Then I go to said box office where they expect me to wait for hours to claim my tickets for which they already hold the money. I wanted to go to the box office on the first day so I could make sure I got good seats. Sure, I can go any other day, but why should I have expected the extremely slow service? I don't think this is an extraordinary thing to expect.

nasox
02-15-2009, 08:36 PM

And pointless arguments about completely irrelevant disputes. Ok, now this thread has everything. Wait.

your right.

Ok, in five minutes when my grammar is corrected, this thread will have anything.

DumpJerry
02-15-2009, 08:42 PM
For those of you who don't want to read this entire thread, here is a summary:

:scratch::bitchslap::tantrum:
and finally:
:roflmao:

It's Dankerific
02-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Is it too late to nominate Dankerific for an Oscar??

Seriously, you're a clown. If this was any other business, I'd refuse to ever go there again. But being the Sox, I'm not going anywhere. That doesn't mean I don't have a right to complain about poor service. Not being wealthy, I asked for a Sox gift card for Christmas so I could get tickets for a game or two this season. I didn't ask for a Sox gift card so I could buy churros and funnel cake. They already have the money from the gift card, and then tell me I can only buy tickets at the box office. Then I go to said box office where they expect me to wait for hours to claim my tickets for which they already hold the money. I wanted to go to the box office on the first day so I could make sure I got good seats. Sure, I can go any other day, but why should I have expected the extremely slow service? I don't think this is an extraordinary thing to expect.

You knew that the SPC was having a presale. You should have asked for "tickets" or "cash". When I can't immediately produce a gift, i make a nice certificate that someone can open "Good for 2 tickets to a white sox game". Then, I make it happen.

What you don't seem to get is that the White Sox are not in the business of catering to your specific situation. They have thousands of fans and they are trying to do the most efficient method all while earning the most cash. The most rabid fans, the ones that need to get tickets will do what they need to do. Use evil ticketmaster, wait in a line, whatever. As has been pointed out, the Sox didn't tell you what time to arrive for the line.

Did you blame the movie theaters for not saving you a seat for The Dark Knight too?

itsnotrequired
02-15-2009, 09:25 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/Christopher153/n674190494_3740505_4363.jpg

TornLabrum
02-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Seriously, you're a clown.

Consider this your only warning. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

kevingrt
02-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Most entertaining thread I have read all offseason. First time I have read four pages of nothing but BS all offseason. Damn does it get me pumped for Sox baseball @ WSI in the summer! :D:

It's Dankerific
02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Most entertaining thread I have read all offseason. First time I have read four pages of nothing but BS all offseason. Damn does it get me pumped for Sox baseball @ WSI in the summer! :D:

Its been pretty funny. I do wonder if the Sox could push the night games back 10 minutes for me. I get home at :17 past the hour and the :11 start time just doesnt work for me.

PS. The Watchmen might be hard to get into on opening night. Just saying. I know that quite a few movie theaters have presales now, but I think there is an extra fee per ticket with those services. I don't know if they'll accept gift cards for prepurchased tickets at the box office or if there will be any tickets left after those internet vultures pounce.

chaerulez
02-15-2009, 11:12 PM

That's no excuse. I doubt people in the service industry want to work on Christmas Eve or in some cases, Christmas Day. Yet they do.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I think the that oeo's point flew over your head, but it might have taken a dump on you in the process.

I feel you on having to wait and the Sox should probably have more staff on hand for days like yesterday. All I can say is next time, get there earlier.

It's '84... If he wasn't bitching about tickets for the most premium games of the year in some fashion, I don't think he'd bother to post here.

***? :o:

I didn't start this thread.... My only gripes were with not being able to purchase home opener and Cubs series tickets and Dankerific saying he wouldn't want to work on Valentine's Day. Take it easy ladies...

spiffie
02-15-2009, 11:22 PM
You knew that the SPC was having a presale. You should have asked for "tickets" or "cash". When I can't immediately produce a gift, i make a nice certificate that someone can open "Good for 2 tickets to a white sox game". Then, I make it happen.

What you don't seem to get is that the White Sox are not in the business of catering to your specific situation. They have thousands of fans and they are trying to do the most efficient method all while earning the most cash. The most rabid fans, the ones that need to get tickets will do what they need to do. Use evil ticketmaster, wait in a line, whatever. As has been pointed out, the Sox didn't tell you what time to arrive for the line.

Did you blame the movie theaters for not saving you a seat for The Dark Knight too?

Your very angry response seems to have very little to do with what the actual person said. It is almost like you wanted to vent and anything that wasn't in the original post that was so irksome you just sort of invented in your head.

BainesHOF
02-15-2009, 11:31 PM
A few comments on this thread:

- Ticketmaster is a blatant ripoff. I don't blame anyone for doing everything in their power to avoid paying Ticketmaster charges. In fact, I encourage it.

- Not sure why the Sox wouldn't have enough ticket sellers working on Saturday. Remember how great they were in selling the Blackout playoff game? They had each of the park's 40-plus ticket windows open. That was tremendous. I'm not saying they should have opened every ticket booth on Saturday. In fact, far from it. But if you're a business, why wouldn't you have enough workers working to reasonably accommodate paying customers on a predictably busy day? Weird. Perhaps not surprising though given the erratic attention some season-ticket holders have received for years.

- Brooks saying ticket sales have exceeded expectations doesn't say much one way or the other. It all depends on what those expectations were.

- There's no way the Sox will sell as many tickets or as much advertising this year as they did last year. And next year will be worse than this year. It's simple economics. Anyone who doubts this isn't up to speed on the state of the economy.

It's Dankerific
02-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Your very angry response seems to have very little to do with what the actual person said. It is almost like you wanted to vent and anything that wasn't in the original post that was so irksome you just sort of invented in your head.

hey buddy, no one is angry.

I'm a little pissed off I can't get a McDonald's breakfast right now, though.

spiffie
02-16-2009, 12:38 AM
hey buddy, no one is angry.

I'm a little pissed off I can't get a McDonald's breakfast right now, though.

Wow. You are so far from the point that it might as well have been posted in a different language.

Iwritecode
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm not saying they should have opened every ticket booth on Saturday. In fact, far from it. But if you're a business, why wouldn't you have enough workers working to reasonably accommodate paying customers on a predictably busy day? Weird.

Wow. 57 posts for someone to finally get the point of the original poster.

Dankerific, take notes.

ChiSoxFan81
02-16-2009, 12:36 PM
A few comments on this thread:

- Ticketmaster is a blatant ripoff. I don't blame anyone for doing everything in their power to avoid paying Ticketmaster charges. In fact, I encourage it.

- Not sure why the Sox wouldn't have enough ticket sellers working on Saturday. Remember how great they were in selling the Blackout playoff game? They had each of the park's 40-plus ticket windows open. That was tremendous. I'm not saying they should have opened every ticket booth on Saturday. In fact, far from it. But if you're a business, why wouldn't you have enough workers working to reasonably accommodate paying customers on a predictably busy day? Weird. Perhaps not surprising though given the erratic attention some season-ticket holders have received for years.

- Brooks saying ticket sales have exceeded expectations doesn't say much one way or the other. It all depends on what those expectations were.

- There's no way the Sox will sell as many tickets or as much advertising this year as they did last year. And next year will be worse than this year. It's simple economics. Anyone who doubts this isn't up to speed on the state of the economy.

See, someone "gets it". I bolded the main point. The fact is, it wasn't just some plain old Saturday when the team isn't in town. It was the first day the BO was open, I'm sure they've been in the business long enough to know what to expect. The fact that they either were underprepared or simply apathetic to the plight of their fans trying to spend money was my complaint. Like I said, they were advertising all over the place about the BO being open that day. If they told me I could expect to wait 4 hours, I wouldn't have gone at all. I can go down there any other day, but the fact is I wasted a good 2 hours of my day for no reason.

It's Dankerific
02-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Considering that we have one poster who claims to have been there and admits they left early, we have no idea whether or not things lightened up, they added more people in a rush call situation, if they were just slow getting STARTED but not in total, or if this is just an exaggeration.

I've waited longer for breakfast at a particulary good spot than it seems the OP did for his much anticipated Sox tickets.

doublem23
02-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Strange they don't take gift cards online... What's the incentive to buy them?

It's Dankerific
02-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Strange they don't take gift cards online... What's the incentive to buy them?

IMO, that is the most relevant complaint.

kittle42
02-16-2009, 01:10 PM
If you don't want to wait, don't go down there. With all the presales and the fact that Ticketmaster sales start at the exact time the box office opens, you are going to be completely shut out for opening day, the Cubs series, and maybe good seats for a lot of other games, too. That's just how they do it, and have for a few years now.

Deal with the TM fees and forego your hot dog at the game to make up for it - the folks waiting in line at the box office aren't first priority like they used to be, unfortunately.

doublem23
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
If you don't want to wait, don't go down there. With all the presales and the fact that Ticketmaster sales start at the exact time the box office opens, you are going to be completely shut out for opening day, the Cubs series, and maybe good seats for a lot of other games, too. That's just how they do it, and have for a few years now.

Deal with the TM fees and forego your hot dog at the game to make up for it - the folks waiting in line at the box office aren't first priority like they used to be, unfortunately.

Yeah, but the OP also was forced to go to the box office because the Sox don't honor their gift cards online. I'll admit that it's crappy customer service they didn't have anyone there working, since they must know it'd be a busy day. Imagine going to a store on Black Friday and seeing there's only 1 cashier.

ChiSoxFan81
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Um, but I didn't want any of those games, and would have bought on TM if they accepted Sox gift cards. Oy Vey.

I_Liked_Manuel
02-16-2009, 01:14 PM
IMO, that is the most relevant complaint.

Ticketmaster sells gift certificates

kittle42
02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Um, but I didn't want any of those games, and would have bought on TM if they accepted Sox gift cards. Oy Vey.

I wasn't really commenting on the gift card situation, just the ensuing discussion.

I agree that it is stupid that gift cards cannot be used online.

itsnotrequired
02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
this thread is nothing. wait until people use the new gate 5 for the first time this spring.