PDA

View Full Version : Five keys to the season according to Gregor

thomas35forever
02-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald says there's five keys for the White Sox heading into the seeason. There's no official for them, but here's what they are in summary:

1) The health of Bartolo Colon

2) Whoever wins the second-base job

3) Josh Fields

4) Carlos Quentin proving that 2008 wasn't a fluke

5) Jerry Owens

What have you to say about these?

jabrch
02-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald says there's five keys for the White Sox heading into the seeason. There's no official for them, but here's what they are in summary:

3) Josh Fields

5) Jerry Owens

I would also add Danks and Floyd being able to either hold or improve. But other than that - I agree.

HawkDJ
02-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I would also add Danks and Floyd being able to either hold or improve. But other than that - I agree.

Yeah I'd be more concerned about Danks and Floyd than Quentin.

dickallen15
02-13-2009, 02:20 PM
How about Linebrink remaining healthy? As soon as he got hurt, the bullpen went from a strength to a disaster. Can Ramirez play at the same or higher level? Basically an entire new defense up the middle, and of course, what happens if AJ gets hurt? He might not be the greatest catcher in the world, but his health is of big importance. KW did the impossible this offseason, he downgraded from Toby Hall.

esbrechtel
02-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think Owens being good matters too much... I think if 2B can do a decent job of leading off then Anderson will play center. I think the sox can still be successful with this lineup....

Getz, Lillibridge, Nix
AJ
Quentin
Thome
Dye
Konerko
TCM
Fields
Anderson

Banix12
02-13-2009, 02:22 PM

3) Josh Fields

5) Jerry Owens

I wholeheartedly agree with 1, 2, and 4. I think the bullpen is a much bigger key than Josh Fields. I think the sox already had a pretty potent lineup without Josh Fields and anything he or one of the other third base options gives is gravy. I think him doing well this year would be awesome but he's still a bottom of the order hitter more than likely

As for Jerry Owens, I'm not sure he's the key so much as the key would be the emergence of a leadoff hitter from the available options. It could be Owens but it could also be any of the 2nd base options possibly in that positions.

esbrechtel
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Ha Banix we agreed 100% on the lead off issue...I just got it in a few seconds before you did :D:

LITTLE NELL
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
#1 is a concern.
#2 is a concern.
#3 will get the job done.
#4 is the real deal and may be better.
#5 should not be in the equation.

sox1970
02-13-2009, 02:29 PM
1) Stay off the DL.
2) Don't blow leads after the 7th inning.
3) .340 OBP from the leadoff spot.
4) Make the routine defensive plays.
5) 4th and 5th starter go .500

areilly
02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Center field debates aside, I wonder how much OG and KW really expect out of Owens. Like, do they think there's a 20/40 batter waiting in there somewhere, or do they just kind of accept that as distant from the ideal he may be, he more closely fits their wants than their other options do?

("More closely" here meaning 30% of the ideal instead of 29%.)

That said, I agree mightily with #3 and #4.

gregory18n
02-13-2009, 03:30 PM
i hope the cuban muscle is ready to go soon. i just lack confidence in fields.

FGarcia34
02-13-2009, 03:49 PM
1) Productivity out of 4-5 Slots in rotation
Reasoning: We have a solid 1-3, however we've seen this in the past with White Sox teams. Solid top part of the rotation and the bottom is a revolving door filled with disastrous 4 inning outings.

2) Impact of 2nd Base position
Reasoning: Most likely will be looked at as the possible leadoff hitter. Getz has the potential and Lillibridge has nice speed. Nix being the darkhorse of the bunch but our 2nd Base position lacks any experience you would look for in a starter.

3) Health of Linebrink
Reasoning: The first part of the season, games were shortened to the 7th inning where it would go as follows; Dotel, Linebrink, Jenks. We were very successful. Linebrink went down and never really came back healthy. The roles in the pen were shuffled and were never able to recover what it had going in the first half.

4) Centerfield
Reasoning: Since the 2006 season, Centerfield has been a carousel ride. We've seen Mackowiak, Anderson, Owens, Erstad, Swisher, Griffey Jr., Ramirez, and Dewayne Wise. The pressure is on Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens on this one. On one hand you like Owens' speed and potential at the top of the lineup, but on the other hand you like Anderson's glove and just aren't ready to give up on him yet. I thought Anderson played well as an extra outfielder last year and I fully expect him to take his game to the level of a starting caliber player. Whether it is Anderson or Owens, the offense will NEED something out of these guys whether at the leadoff position, or bottom of the order.

5) Josh Fields
Reasoning: In 2007 Fields showed us what kind of power numbers he could put up. Sure, there were plenty of strikeouts but he was a young player thrust in to action. Given the success of the team, I'd say Fields was a bright spot from the 2007 season. He was hurt for most of the year and was never able to get it going. With the help from Cora this offseason coupled with a 2nd straight season of competition at 3rd Base, I think it's reasonable to expect big things from the former 1st Round Pick.

Jim Shorts
02-13-2009, 04:27 PM
#5 -

Replace Owens performance with a Smooth transition for Alexei and Gregor's list makes sense.