PDA

View Full Version : 3:10 Start Times on Sat

monica73174
02-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Why are they doing so many 3:10 starts on Sat? Im not very excited about this. The Sun will be brutal.

EnglishChiSox
02-13-2009, 11:19 AM
FOX games I think?

soxfan21
02-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109065

ode to veeck
02-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Why are they doing so many 3:10 starts on Sat? Im not very excited about this. The Sun will be brutal.

where's the I hate winter thread when you need it

monica73174
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the link, I guess I didnt look deep enough. I still am not happy. Why are there so many games on Fox? That is not normal at all. I sent an angry message to the Sox asking why they did that. I thought perhaps it was to save money or something.

voodoochile
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the link, I guess I didnt look deep enough. I still am not happy. Why are there so many games on Fox? That is not normal at all. I sent an angry message to the Sox asking why they did that. I thought perhaps it was to save money or something.

Actually, it's becoming more common. Fox does several regional broadcasts every week which involve up to half the games being played on any given Saturday (more like 4-5 normally). With the Sox being a division winner, they are getting more air time. At least you get to see them. Every Saturday game that is on Fox people from out of town won't get to watch because they are rarely the national team and yet will still be blacked out on MLB.TV. TBS or TNT, I forget which actually put the Sox on national TV several times last year with their Sunday GOTW which was simply great. Maybe they got good enough ratings to raise some eyebrows at FOX, but I doubt it...

whitesoxwilkes
02-13-2009, 11:53 AM

I think the sun is worse for 1:05 starts on Sundays.

Huisj
02-13-2009, 12:15 PM
TBS or TNT, I forget which actually put the Sox on national TV several times last year with their Sunday GOTW which was simply great. Maybe they got good enough ratings to raise some eyebrows at FOX, but I doubt it...

I want to say that at least a few of those times, they were playing Boston maybe.

voodoochile
02-13-2009, 12:25 PM
I want to say that at least a few of those times, they were playing Boston maybe.

once, maybe twice, but they also got on against the Angels one time and once more against someone else, IIRC. Considering we were in the middle of a pennant chase too, it was nice to see us get some love. Tired of being treated like the redheaded stepchild by national media...

I want Mags back
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
I think the sun is worse for 1:05 starts on Sundays.

yep

the OP: I learned in like 2nd grade science that the sun is highest at noon. So wouldn't much later than noon than closer be better if the sun is your only worry about the start times?

duh...

chisox12
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I dont mind the 310 start times. Then you still have the whole night ahead of you after the game.

CMPDragRacing
02-13-2009, 02:24 PM
great, my drinking will just start a little earlier on saturdays now.

monica73174
02-13-2009, 02:27 PM
yep

the OP: I learned in like 2nd grade science that the sun is highest at noon. So wouldn't much later than noon than closer be better if the sun is your only worry about the start times?

duh...

Actually the sun is not my only concern. I like the later games at 6:05 and the evening atmosphere under the lights. Everyone has their own opinion and I wasnt expecting to get a rude comment for mine. The sun is still not so nice at 3pm. I go to a lot of games and I agree Sundays are worse because of the 1pm starts. It was nice not having two day games in a row. I just wasnt expecting the radical change in the schedule. Either way I will be happy to be there.

anewman35
02-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Actually the sun is not my only concern. I like the later games at 6:05 and the evening atmosphere under the lights. Everyone has their own opinion and I wasnt expecting to get a rude comment for mine. The sun is still not so nice at 3pm. I go to a lot of games and I agree Sundays are worse because of the 1pm starts. It was nice not having two day games in a row. I just wasnt expecting the radical change in the schedule. Either way I will be happy to be there.

It's not really any different than the last few years (well, it is slightly different, since Fox games start at 3:10 now instead of 2:55). And we do have a few more scheduled than we did last year, but I think that's mainly a function of us being bad in 2007 and better in 2008.

I want Mags back
02-13-2009, 05:47 PM

radical change??

Last year FOX games were at 2:55.

SOXfnNlansing
02-13-2009, 06:30 PM
radical change??

Last year FOX games were at 2:55.

What is radical for me is there are 13 Saturdays. 7 start at 6:05 (I don't have to leave work early to catch games) and 6 early starts! Last year there were only 2 home Fox games scheduled (April 12 v Det, and May 24 v LAA). Last season there was at least one Sunday night game (vs LAA May 25th). I can't remember if they scheduled another one or not. This season there are no home Sunday night games scheduled.

I'm a fan of day and night games, but with the 27 game package on weekends, there are 19 day games and only 8 night games (one of those is a Wednesday night in April against the Royals:scratch:). Next year I might go with the other 27 game package to get mostly night games. People work during the day.

BadBobbyJenks
02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Well for a youngin' like myself I am excited about this since 6:05 times sometimes cut into my Saturday nights.

MrRoboto83
02-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I dont mind the 310 start times. Then you still have the whole night ahead of you after the game.

This is why i wish they would play in the mornings (like 8-9am) on weekends. I have bigger and better things to get accomplished later in the day, get the baseball out of the way right off the bat.

anewman35
02-13-2009, 07:14 PM
This is why i wish they would play in the mornings (like 8-9am) on weekends. I have bigger and better things to get accomplished later in the day, get the baseball out of the way right off the bat.

That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. Who would go to a game that early?

MrRoboto83
02-13-2009, 07:26 PM
That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. Who would go to a game that early?

I would for one, get out of bed in the morning and get up to the ballpark sounds like motivation enough to get me out of bed. Why is it insane? I happen to be a morning person.

FedEx227
02-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Um yeah... not sure players are going to be down for waking up at 6am for their game on Saturday.

Something tells me a few of them may have plans on Friday nights.

MrRoboto83
02-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Um yeah... not sure players are going to be down for waking up at 6am for their game on Saturday.

Something tells me a few of them may have plans on Friday nights.

Since when do we care about people getting paid 100,000 a game what time they get up. Besides It would be awesome to have some flap-jacks at the ballpark.

anewman35
02-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Since when do we care about people getting paid 100,000 a game what time they get up. Besides It would be awesome to have some flap-jacks at the ballpark.

I'm pretty sure the team wouldn't like the decrease in beer sales and tv ratings.

FedEx227
02-13-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the team wouldn't like the decrease in beer sales and tv ratings.

and attendance.

Frater Perdurabo
02-13-2009, 08:25 PM

They could sell $8 coffees instead of $6 beers. :tongue:

I want Mags back
02-13-2009, 08:31 PM
9 am Saturday games?

:rolling:

RadioheadRocks
02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey, maybe 3-10 is a new offshoot of 7-11.

Frater Perdurabo
02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey, maybe 3-10 is a new offshoot of 7-11.

How about 4:20? :tongue:

MrRoboto83
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Beer and Eggs people, it is a dream, there is nothing like poppin a cold one before the noon hour. Also hasn't anyone ever had irish coffee? The more I think about possible morning games the more I get excited. Attendance? Who cares about that around here? :rolleyes:

I want Mags back
02-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Beer and Eggs people, it is a dream, there is nothing like poppin a cold one before the noon hour. Also hasn't anyone ever had irish coffee? The more I think about possible morning games the more I get excited. Attendance? Who cares about that around here? :rolleyes:

you're insane!

pistolesatdawn
02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
How about 4:20? :tongue:

Yeah, they could offer free bong hits by the shower on the concourse. Think Michael Phelps would switch his allegiance to the Sox? . . . . Doubt it.

SOXfnNlansing
02-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah, they could offer free bong hits by the shower on the concourse. Think Michael Phelps would switch his allegiance to the Sox? . . . . Doubt it.

:tealtutor: