PDA

View Full Version : Would you offer this to Ben Sheets RIGHT NOW?


WhiteSoxFan84
02-13-2009, 12:18 AM
With the news that Ben Sheets will be out until at least the second half of 2009 combined with the news today that his surgery went well, I thought I'd throw this out there and see what you guys think;

Would you be in favor of the White Sox offering Ben Sheets a 2 year, $14M contract right now. We'd pretty much pay him about $4M this year in HOPES of him pitching 10-15 games AT THE MOST. Then we'd pay him the remaining $10M next year when he'd, again, HOPEFULLY be healthy and give us at least 25 starts.

I'd do this RIGHT NOW because he clearly is getting ZERO interest. If we wait until he's ready to return (some time in July or August), he'll have a lot more teams interested in him and a semi-bidding war may begin for his services.

Obviously this is a high-risk ($14M over 2 years is a lot for our team), high-reward scenario, but if we can backload the contract as much as paying him over 70% of his contract next year, when our payroll will be EXTREMELY manageable, then I think it's definitely worth a shot.

Buehrle/Sheets/Danks/Floyd/??? for (hopefully) all of 2010 and for less than $30M combined? That's a steal in my eyes.

DSpivack
02-13-2009, 12:18 AM
No.

kittle42
02-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Nope. And I like Sheets.

thomas35forever
02-13-2009, 12:58 AM
No. We don't need to wait for two starters to come back.

whitesox901
02-13-2009, 01:04 AM
yes, but only at a lower price, witch I doubt he'll take

WhiteSoxFan84
02-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Elaborate people. Yes or No's are cool but please tell me why, either way.

And for people like whitesox901, who said he would offer less, how much would you offer?

whitesox901
02-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Elaborate people. Yes or No's are cool but please tell me why, either way.

And for people like whitesox901, who said he would offer less, how much would you offer?

2 year, 8 million

Banix12
02-13-2009, 01:33 AM
The way it kind of sounds with him is that I think he mostly decided to have the surgery right now because he wasn't getting any good deals. He waited so long to have this done that it seems like he could have pitched this year. He probably wouldn't even consider an offer right now

MUsoxfan
02-13-2009, 01:40 AM
No. He could just as well pull a Carl Pavano or Mike Hampton.

drewcifer
02-13-2009, 01:45 AM
No. He could just as well pull a Carl Pavano or Mike Hampton.

Exactly what I was ready to type.

I wouldn't give him more than 1 year, $2M. Incentives if he can manage to throw 150+ innings.

guillensdisciple
02-13-2009, 02:06 AM
I am thinking you can go 2 years 10 million with Sheets. It might be a bit of a stretch, but paying him 2 millions for this year and 8 millions for the next might be the perfect low risk and high reward move.

It won't happen though, this is beyond taking risks.

drewcifer
02-13-2009, 02:16 AM
I am thinking you can go 2 years 10 million with Sheets. It might be a bit of a stretch, but paying him 2 millions for this year and 8 millions for the next might be the perfect low risk and high reward move.

It won't happen though, this is beyond taking risks.

You know we're talking about a contract for the year after next, yes?

He's already done this year - old news.

Boondock Saint
02-13-2009, 02:41 AM
2 year, 8 million

That sounds alright, I guess. But all things considered, I'd rather spend that money on someone else. He's been hurt before, he's hurt right now, and history says he'll get hurt again. I love what he can do and want to see him succeed, but logic says that it most likely won't happen.

StillMissOzzie
02-13-2009, 03:11 AM
So at best, we are looking at 1/3 to 1/2 of the 2009 season, right? Instead of committing a boatload of dough on a risky 2 year contract, how about mebbe $2M for 2009 plus a $9M-10M club option for 2010? That might also involve a buyout of say $1M if the team declines the option.

SMO
:gulp:

PalehosePlanet
02-13-2009, 04:02 AM
The way it kind of sounds with him is that I think he mostly decided to have the surgery right now because he wasn't getting any good deals. He waited so long to have this done that it seems like he could have pitched this year. He probably wouldn't even consider an offer right now

He's having surgery because he failed a physical w/Texas which negated a 2 year deal with them.

As for signing him, I would wait until after the June draft (that way we don't lose a pick) and see how he's progressing, as well as how we as a team are progressing, before making an offer.

WhiteSox5187
02-13-2009, 04:51 AM
No, he's not worth a damn thing right now, I am worth more than him right now. Now, in July when he will allegedly be healthy and if Colon is done for the year by that point, I might consider offering him a deal similiar to what the Tigers did with Freddy.

Heffalump
02-13-2009, 07:48 AM
please stop making up these goofy ideas. Its not gonna happen.

PLEEZE start the games!

russ99
02-13-2009, 10:18 AM
And he won't be signed until after June 1st, since then the signing team won't have to give up a draft pick, and his recovery will be on track enough to make a judgement.

Even then, I doubt he'll get any more than a 1 year deal.

Britt Burns
02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Ummm, no way. I'd do something like $1m that could escalate up another $5m or $6m based on innings pitched, with an automatic or player option for $12-15m in 2010 should he hit a minimum threshold (100 innings?).

In other words, ain't gonna happen.

soxinem1
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
2 year, 8 million

Giving even that to a guy who may not pitch at all this year, with a history of arm injuries, is way too risky.

Besides, is it not yet obvious to everyone that Reinsdorf, KW and the White Sox are NOT SPENDING ANY MONEY THIS OFF-SEASON???

If we couldn't give Abeu or Hudson $5 million to actually play, why would we guarantee it to Sheets to rehab?

SOXfnNlansing
02-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I say Sheets will wait until he's healthy instead of signing a low paying guaranteed contract now.

eriqjaffe
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I say Sheets will wait until he's healthy instead of signing a low paying guaranteed contract now.So you're saying his career is over? ;)

goon
02-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm unsure why some club hasn't already signed him to a low base contract loaded with incentives. Maybe it's because they know he won't even pitch this year... maybe he'll be ready for the last two months and for the playoffs, he'd be worth it then, at least to a truly competitive team.

EndemicSox
02-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Absolutely, as long as he can make his usual 10-15 starts per season in August-October, it would be a steal. Like Harden, you have to baby Sheets(ideally give the man 20 starts max), but if you have a healthy Sheets on the mound in October, the babying would be worth it.

Teams like the Yankees/Red-Sox should do this more often with injury-prone, but excellent pitchers. Let him start his season after the all-star break every year, and see what happens.

soxinem1
02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Absolutely, as long as he can make his usual 10-15 starts per season in August-October, it would be a steal. Like Harden, you have to baby Sheets(ideally give the man 20 starts max), but if you have a healthy Sheets on the mound in October, the babying would be worth it.

Teams like the Yankees/Red-Sox should do this more often with injury-prone, but excellent pitchers. Let him start his season after the all-star break every year, and see what happens.

I wonder if this will ever be officially named 'The Roger Clemens Method Of Playing When/Where/How You Want To'?

pearso66
02-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I say no, because 10 mil is too much to give to a guy that no one knows how healthy he'll be next year, plus if you sign him right now, you give up a 1st round draft pick because he was offered arbitration. I wouldn't do that for a guy who probably won't pitch this year.

munchman33
02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Even if he'd sign for free this year, nobody would bite. Why give up a first round pick for a guy that can't pitch? Wait until June.