PDA

View Full Version : Mariners negotiating with Griffey

EuroSox35
02-12-2009, 10:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3901872

Unless he was doing it to retire there, I don't think I'd like this as a M's fan. It's like when Pippen came back to play for the Bulls (which I almost completely forget had happened until someone reminded me and I started thinking about it), you don't want to see a franchise star come back old and a shadow of his former self!

Marqhead
02-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I've heard he's going for 5 mil, the same as Abreu, crazy.

soxinem1
02-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Griffey said today this is all news to him.

Of course, that means nothing.

It will also mean nothing if SEA goes 64-98, Griff hits .227 with 13 HR's, and is out for the year with a pulled hammy by August 15.....

SoxSpeed22
02-12-2009, 10:37 PM
If anything, it's a good PR move. I wish Jr. the best.

BleacherBandit
02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Good for him. :smile:

Red Barchetta
02-12-2009, 11:49 PM
It sort of makes you wonder what success he and A-Rod would have had if they decided to stay in Seattle. It seemed as soon as Griffey went to Cincinnati, he had nothing but bad luck. I know it has nothing to do with him getting hurt, however maybe it's just baseball karma.

As to A-Rod, his troubles began in Texas so we can't blame the pressure of playing in NY. Who knows whether or not staying in Seattle would have changed anything.

drewcifer
02-13-2009, 02:26 AM
It sort of makes you wonder what success he and A-Rod would have had if they decided to stay in Seattle. It seemed as soon as Griffey went to Cincinnati, he had nothing but bad luck. I know it has nothing to do with him getting hurt, however maybe it's just baseball karma.

As to A-Rod, his troubles began in Texas so we can't blame the pressure of playing in NY. Who knows whether or not staying in Seattle would have changed anything.

Yeah, A-Rod CHEATED and LIED about how he plays baseball to all of us. 14 months ago. It's only because he thought he was protected on a positive test list that he is admitting anything. But NYers forgive him for "admitting". Joke.

A-Rod's troubles are because he is greedy and his first proof was in Texas when Bora$$ put himself on the map over his contract. King ******* move.

Griff won't be anywhere on that last of 103 others - bank on it. Or Frank. But 103 other douche's who are relief pitchers, ex-A's, or Yankee greats so..... Andy Pettite...with his Jesus commercials... LOL.....

Frater Perdurabo
02-13-2009, 06:57 AM
It sort of makes you wonder what success he and A-Rod would have had if they decided to stay in Seattle.

The Mariners would have had an insane top of the order, with Ichiro setting the table for A-Rod and Griffey.

chisox616
02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
You gotta admit. The M's are probably lucky to go above mid-70s in wins. This is gonna be a terrible season for them. Now that the A's are better, the Angels are still the Angels, and Texas has Josh Hamilton dominating, they're in for a tough ride.

This signing is for the fans. The Mariners don't need Griffey's offense or defense, they need him to sell more games in what's probably gonna end up being an incredibly lackluster season. This is a brilliant move on Seattle's part, and not in a baseball sense.

Bobby Thigpen
02-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah, A-Rod CHEATED and LIED about how he plays baseball to all of us. 14 months ago. It's only because he thought he was protected on a positive test list that he is admitting anything. But NYers forgive him for "admitting". Joke.

A-Rod's troubles are because he is greedy and his first proof was in Texas when Bora$$ put himself on the map over his contract. King ******* move.

Griff won't be anywhere on that last of 103 others - bank on it. Or Frank. But 103 other douche's who are relief pitchers, ex-A's, or Yankee greats so..... Andy Pettite...with his Jesus commercials... LOL.....
Could Frank be on the list because he refused to take the test? Does a refusal to take it count the same as a positive?

RKMeibalane
02-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Could Frank be on the list because he refused to take the test? Does a refusal to take it count the same as a positive?

IIRC, Frank was not part of the group who refused to take the test, though the Moron and several others in the Chicago media assumed that he was. Apparently, Frank had been elsewhere when Sox players boycotted the test, and was told about it by Sandy Alomar.

twentywontowin
02-14-2009, 12:02 AM

Based on Frank's size alone throughout his career (he did play football at Auburn too), I can't see him needing steroids, let alone using them.

Remember that when Frank broke into the big leagues, a guy his size with his ability was pretty much unheard of.

rustysurf83
02-14-2009, 12:32 AM
You should hear the M's fans up here, legitimate (at least that's what I thought) radio hosts have been predicting 35+ HR's.

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2009, 01:10 AM
You should hear the M's fans up here, legitimate (at least that's what I thought) radio hosts have been predicting 35+ HR's.Did they watch him with the Sox? :?:

Daver
02-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Ken Griffey jr. is a class act, if he can return to the organization he started with and retire there more power to him. I have nothing but respect for a player that played the game hard because it is how the game should be played. The real shame is that his desire to play the game to the limit robbed him of holding some records that he could have easily acheived.

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Ken Griffey jr. is a class act, if he can return to the organization he started with and retire there more power to him. I have nothing but respect for a player that played the game hard because it is how the game should be played. The real shame is that his desire to play the game to the limit robbed him of holding some records that he could have easily acheived.Yeah, there was a time that nobody doubted that he'd breeze to a new career home run record. I was just questioning their judgment in thinking he was still capable of a 35 homer year.

soxfan2504
02-14-2009, 01:25 PM
You should hear the M's fans up here, legitimate (at least that's what I thought) radio hosts have been predicting 35+ HR's.

I understand all the nostalgia/excitement over bringing him back, but not only did he put up that mediocre .249/.353/.424/18/71 line last year, but he did so splitting his season between a couple bandboxes. How can they possibly expect 35 homers out of him in cavernous Safeco, in a full year against AL pitching? :?:

Whatever they're smoking up there in Seattle must be pretty damn strong.

soxinem1
02-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I understand all the nostalgia/excitement over bringing him back, but not only did he put up that mediocre .249/.353/.424/18/71 line last year, but he did so splitting his season between a couple bandboxes. How can they possibly expect 35 homers out of him in cavernous Safeco, in a full year against AL pitching? :?:

I doubt Griffey hits any more than 25 HR's anywhere, but Safeco is a little better for LHH that RHH.

rustysurf83
02-14-2009, 02:20 PM

They were talking about it again and one of the hosts said "the White Sox are just horrible":dunce:

I guess one of the worst teams in the AL is better than a playoff team with a World Championship this decade.

His co-host tried to correct him and mention that the White Sox won the "national title" which was quite humorous and basically said how would he know the real title of the MLB Champion since Seattle has consistently been dog****.

soxfanreggie
02-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Best of luck to him. His attitude must have changed since he left the Reds because he was a pretty good guy around here (he wasn't always the best teammate/guy when he was with the Reds), and this could provide the Mariners a boost. However, I see him hitting 15-20 HRs if he stays healthy. There is no way he starts hitting 35+.

soxfan2504
02-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I doubt Griffey hits any more than 25 HR's anywhere, but Safeco is a little better for LHH that RHH.

Point well taken, but I wouldn't say it's better by much....the dimensions of 331-390-405-387-327 don't seem significantly different enough to me to make a difference of more than 1 or 2 homers. The real problem isn't the dimensions so much as the heavy air, especially with roof open.

And besides Beltre, who's gonna protect him in the lineup given that Ichiro leads off? Russell Branyan?!

They were talking about it again and one of the hosts said "the White Sox are just horrible":dunce:

I guess one of the worst teams in the AL is better than a playoff team with a World Championship this decade.

His co-host tried to correct him and mention that the White Sox won the "national title" which was quite humorous and basically said how would he know the real title of the MLB Champion since Seattle has consistently been dog****.

No wonder those morons predicted Griffey to hit 35 homers. Were they bribed by Cub fans to say that ignorant ****, or are they really that dumb?

I'm guessing if they are, it's highly likely the show's hosts are actually these guys:

:b&b

Butthead: Huh....Huh....Huh.....Hey Beavis, "Sox" sounds like "sucks."
Beavis: Yeah, Yeah......Heahhhhhh.....Heahhhh....Let's just say they suck.....Heahhhh.......Heahhhh.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2009, 12:31 AM
ESPN.com says the Braves are now making a strong push for him.

Lip

RKMeibalane
02-15-2009, 12:55 PM
ESPN.com says the Braves are now making a strong push for him.

Lip

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3907492)

soxinem1
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
NL pitching + better lineup + better place to hit = better Griffey numbers

DSpivack
02-17-2009, 02:30 PM
NL pitching + better lineup + better place to hit = better Griffey numbers

And yet it probably has nothing to do with that. He lives in Orlando and wants to be close to his family.

PennStater98r
02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Regardless how he performed in a Sox uniform - I love Griffey. I am proud to wear my Sox jersey with Griffey's name and number on my back.

Jjav829
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
And yet it probably has nothing to do with that. He lives in Orlando and wants to be close to his family.

It obviously has nothing to do with numbers. Despite being in a much better division, Atlanta has a better shot to win a World Series next year than the Mariners.

Foulke You
02-17-2009, 08:21 PM
The real shame is that his desire to play the game to the limit robbed him of holding some records that he could have easily acheived.
I also think the years playing that style of play on the concrete turf in the King Dome and then again playing on turf for a while at Riverfront/Cinergy Field definitely contributed to his physical breakdowns.