PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail Addresses

voodoochile
02-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey folks,
Just a reminder to check your e-mail address and if necessary update it here at WSI. We are getting a ton of bounced stuff. Hate to suspend someone's account for something so trivial.

The new e-dress has to be valid and you will have to have access so you can verify your account like when you first registered.

If you've got questions, post them here.

Thanks in advance...

Edit: because people seem confused:

If you have a valid e-mail account regardless of what it is, you don't have to change a thing.

ONLY IF YOUR E-MAIL ACCOUNT IS DEAD, EXPIRED, NON-FUNCTIONAL, INACCESSIBLE DO YOU NEED TO CHANGE IT.

Scottiehaswheels
02-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Not allowing yahoo, hotmail, or gmail anymore? Why the change?

FedEx227
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm a bit baffled by that too.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I have yahoo - I use it for everything non work related.....wonder what happened?

Gavin
02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I would say about 85% of my friends use gmail as their primary account now.

Iwritecode
02-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I thought we already went through this back in 2005. I still have the emails from then.

I switched from @yahoo.com to @sbcglobal.net

Domeshot17
02-12-2009, 12:19 PM
yah I would agree about the Gmail accounts. Im registered with my college email but that will expire at some point, and them Im down to my work email (which I would not be allowed to use for WSI) or Gmail.

soxfan43
02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I use yahoo as well, do I need to change it?

CashMan
02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
All I have access to, is GMAIL.

DirtySox
02-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I use Gmail for my primary mail. Checking my University E-mail is a pain.

pearso66
02-12-2009, 12:29 PM
gmail is also all I have. I guess I'll have to look and see what's not accepted and see if I can figure something out.

CLR01
02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I have yahoo - I use it for everything non work related.....wonder what happened?

95% of all the spammers and people who came here to troll the boards registered using a gmail, yahoo or hotmail account. We now get more emails complaining about the lack of an alternate email account than people spamming or trolling the boards. We'll take that. It amazes me the number of people who's ISP is supposedly not giving them an email account with the service. I have never had one which has offered less than 5 seperate e-addys. :shrug:

RoobarbPie
02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I signed up for a Yahoo mail account solely to access WSI since previously Hotmail wasn't allowed. What site do you recommend me signing up with to change my email address on WSI now? Hotmail is my regular email and I don't have any plans to change that. Yahoo mail has never been checked since it was only for WSI access although I can check it if I need to update WSI info.

Over By There
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
So wait, if our email address that's on file is still valid, do we need to take any action? I'm confused about all this Yahoo! and Gmail discussion. I originally signed up with a Yahoo account, and still maintain the account.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-12-2009, 12:40 PM
95% of all the spammers and people who came here to troll the boards registered using a gmail, yahoo or hotmail account. We now get more emails complaining about the lack of an alternate email account than people spamming or trolling the boards. We'll take that. It amazes me the number of people who's ISP is supposedly not giving them an email account with the service. I have never had one which has offered less than 5 seperate e-addys. :shrug:

Totally understand CLR. I have access to others, and have already changed mine. Yahoo/gmail are free and easy to get so I can see the problems you guys could be having.

CashMan
02-12-2009, 12:46 PM

So rather than us, use email address, that we have used for years, you want us to call our ISP get a totally new email, just to access this board because of a few spammers? Not worth it IMO, and I don't think I am alone.

CLR01
02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I signed up for a Yahoo mail account solely to access WSI since previously Hotmail wasn't allowed. What site do you recommend me signing up with to change my email address on WSI now? Hotmail is my regular email and I don't have any plans to change that. Yahoo mail has never been checked since it was only for WSI access although I can check it if I need to update WSI info.

So wait, if our email address that's on file is still valid, do we need to take any action? I'm confused about all this Yahoo! and Gmail discussion. I originally signed up with a Yahoo account, and still maintain the account.

No, if the email is still active you are fine. The people who had registered with a yahoo/hotmail or gmail account before the bans went into effect do not need to do anything as long as those accounts are still able to receive mail. Just be aware that they may disable the account if you don't check it. I think Yahoo disables the accounts after 6 months of you not logging in.

You can check your email address on file by looking in your userCP under email addresses. If you are still able to check/receive mail using that account you are fine.

CLR01
02-12-2009, 12:54 PM
So rather than us, use email address, that we have used for years, you want us to call our ISP get a totally new email, just to access this board because of a few spammers? Not worth it IMO, and I don't think I am alone.

I guess that's your choice.

spawn
02-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Sorry, but if it's a choice between getting spammed by Timberwolf or getting an e-mail addy from my ISP, I know which one I'd choose. I don't know why it's such a big deal. :shrug:

whitesox901
02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
when I registered I used a different email, since Im not a spammer, would I be allowed to change it to my current email? (which is yahoo)

ode to veeck
02-12-2009, 01:03 PM

A lot of folks are using yahoo or gmail for their primary accounts so it is much easier when they switch services, they don't have to do through the all the issues with notyfying folks, relinking their contact info on many websties, etc. I am considering it because I've just about had it with at&t / sbc dsl.

Iwritecode
02-12-2009, 01:04 PM

You didn't get one when you signed up with your ISP?

CashMan
02-12-2009, 01:06 PM
You didn't get one when you signed up with your ISP?

I probably did, but why the hell would I use it? GMAIL is where it is at, I used it through school and will continue using it as long as it exists.

soxgirl617
02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
The ban on Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail accounts is truly a pain: but rather than continue to debate the policy, which has been established, checkout www.chicagowhitesox.net (http://www.chicagowhitesox.net). You can sign up for a free email address there (the site is related somehow to mlb.com), and I don't believe it will violate the WSI rules on email addresses. Mods, please correct me if that is not an acceptable solution.

BTW, not all of us have our own ISPs. I use mobile broadband service through Sprint (much more flexible, b/c it allows you to use your service anywhere you are), but Sprint no longer supports its own email service.

jabrch
Not worth it IMO, and I don't think I am alone.

Your choice...Nobody is twisting your arm.

Iwritecode
I probably did, but why the hell would I use it? GMAIL is where it is at, I used it through school and will continue using it as long as it exists.

I never use mine either but it's still around. It just fills up with spam and I only check it once or twice a year.

In the 8 or so years I've been here I don't think I've ever gotten an email from WSI.

CLR01
02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
when I registered I used a different email, since Im not a spammer, would I be allowed to change it to my current email? (which is yahoo)

I'll leave that up to Voodoo. I know what the response would be from Daver and FWC.

CLR01
02-12-2009, 01:18 PM
The ban on Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail accounts is truly a pain: but rather than continue to debate the policy, which has been established, checkout www.chicagowhitesox.net (http://www.chicagowhitesox.net). You can sign up for a free email address there (the site is related somehow to mlb.com), and I don't believe it will violate the WSI rules on email addresses. Mods, please correct me if that is not an acceptable solution.

For now it is fine.

RoobarbPie
02-12-2009, 01:59 PM
No, if the email is still active you are fine. The people who had registered with a yahoo/hotmail or gmail account before the bans went into effect do not need to do anything as long as those accounts are still able to receive mail. Just be aware that they may disable the account if you don't check it. I think Yahoo disables the accounts after 6 months of you not logging in.

You can check your email address on file by looking in your userCP under email addresses. If you are still able to check/receive mail using that account you are fine.

Understood. My Yahoo mail account was disabled, but not it's back up. I don't check it, so if I get banned then I assume it's probably because I missed a Yahoo mail from WSI and I'll figure it out at that time. I don't think I've received an email from WSI since after the 1st day I signed up.

voodoochile
02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Not allowing yahoo, hotmail, or gmail anymore? Why the change?

Too many spammers and trolls use them due to how easy they are to get.

voodoochile
02-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Yes. If you have a valid e-dress, even if it's one of those, you can continue to use it.

Only if your e-dress is exired do you need to change it.

If you are a long standing member with a good reputation, you can contact me via PM to have one of those accounts installed in your profile if it's all you have access to.

itsnotrequired
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
i want a whitesoxinteractive e-mail address. let's make this happen or something.

nasox
02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
i want a whitesoxinteractive e-mail address. let's make this happen or something.

This is as likely as a Cubs World Series championship.