PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Alexei is the best baseball player in all of Chicago

DumpJerry
02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
According to Chris De Luca. (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1426779,CST-SPT-deluca12.article)

esbrechtel
02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I am really starting to like Alexei more and more...

Glad to have him on the Sox!

spawn
02-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I've always like DeLuca as a columnist, and I'm not saying that because he's speaking positively about someone on the White Sox.. Unlike some of the other sports journalists in this town, he actually seems to do his own research before submitting an article.

DumpJerry
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I've always like DeLuca as a columnist, and I'm not saying that because he's speaking positively about someone on the White Sox.. Unlike some of the other sports journalists in this town, he actually seems to do his own research before submitting an article.
:moron
Trust me, research is for sissies.

whitesox901
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Thank god him and TCQ are not Cubs

guillensdisciple
02-12-2009, 10:35 AM
How many cubs fans took over the polls? Somehow Alexei got the most complete player, which makes sense, but ever other category went to Cubs positions. Which includes, "Most clutch" (I thought Aramis couldn't do **** when the game was on the line), "Game 7 starter" (Zambrano has better stuff, but he doesn't have half the balls that Buerhle has {he has one}), "Arm to escape a jam" (wasn't Marmol a failed experiment as a closer??), and my favorite one "Game 7 manager" (it's obvious that Cubs fans are completely delusional, when was the last time Lou led this team when the game was on the line???)

Sigh, sometimes their naivety is so cute.

Rohan
02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Vote in that poll guys.
Some things are close.. I'd definitely have mark in over carlos in game 7, and i'd definitely have ozzie over lou.

kittle42
02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Vote in that poll guys.
Some things are close.. I'd definitely have mark in over carlos in game 7, and i'd definitely have ozzie over lou.

I think I'd take Piniella, actually.

all*star quentin
02-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Vote with your HEART not your head! Can't wait for White Sox baseball!

Thome25
02-12-2009, 11:40 AM
How in the hell is Marmol ahead of Jenks in the poll?

Craig Grebeck
02-12-2009, 11:43 AM
How do baseball writers secure jobs when writing such tripe?

oeo
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
How do baseball writers secure jobs when writing such tripe?

It's not that far off. We'll have to see his defense at SS to be sure, but if it's as advertised, he's the most complete player in Chicago. Probably not the 'best,' but I think the subtitle of the article is more telling of what the article is about.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-12-2009, 11:52 AM
How many cubs fans took over the polls? Somehow Alexei got the most complete player, which makes sense, but ever other category went to Cubs positions. Which includes, "Most clutch" (I thought Aramis couldn't do **** when the game was on the line), "Game 7 starter" (Zambrano has better stuff, but he doesn't have half the balls that Buerhle has {he has one}), "Arm to escape a jam" (wasn't Marmol a failed experiment as a closer??), and my favorite one "Game 7 manager" (it's obvious that Cubs fans are completely delusional, when was the last time Lou led this team when the game was on the line???)

Sigh, sometimes their naivety is so cute.

The only one I disagree with is Marmol. And that's only because he hasn't proved himself as a closer. But chances are, he will and I'll agree with that also.

Maybe we Sox fans are the ones that are "na´ve" and "cute" because we over-value our team so much?

cws05champ
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
How in the hell is Marmol ahead of Jenks in the poll?
Because it says "who has the arm" to get out of a jam. Marmol has the arm...it is yet to be seen if he has the brains and guts it takes.

PalehosePlanet
02-12-2009, 12:30 PM
How Aramis Ramirez, he of the 2 for his last 28 in the playoffs, is even considered in this poll is puzzling. His nickname should be Mr. June.

I swear, for all the **** Konerko catches on this site at least he shows up come playoff time.

Thome25
02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Because it says "who has the arm" to get out of a jam. Marmol has the arm...it is yet to be seen if he has the brains and guts it takes.

And THE Bobby Jenks....he of the 95-100mph fasball doesn't have the arm?

asindc
02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
The only one I disagree with is Marmol. And that's only because he hasn't proved himself as a closer. But chances are, he will and I'll agree with that also.

Maybe we Sox fans are the ones that are "na´ve" and "cute" because we over-value our team so much?

You might have a point, but considering that the questions relate to actual performance, not potential, guys like Buehrle, Jenks, and Dye must be given due consideration. They have, after all,... well, you know...

spawn
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
And THE Bobby Jenks....he of the 95-100mph fasball doesn't have the arm?
I love Big Bad Bobby, but if you think he's got a better arm than Marmol, IMO you're nuts.

Thome25
02-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I love Big Bad Bobby, but if you think he's got a better arm than Marmol, IMO you're nuts.

I never said he had a better arm......but, Bobby has a good one too. Bobby is a more seasoned closer and has the better ability to escape a jam IMHO. I'm not the only one because the poll results are pretty close as of right now.

SoxSpeed22
02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
While Marmol probably has the strongest arm in Chicago, he's still a thrower at this phase in his career. Jenks is the better pitcher right now.

Marqhead
02-12-2009, 01:58 PM
While Marmol probably has the strongest arm in Chicago, he's still a thrower at this phase in his career. Jenks is the better pitcher right now.

A correct assessment.

kittle42
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm thinking the people voting in these polls aren't quite giving this the level of thought you guys are. :D:

DumpJerry
02-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Why is Kevin Gregg included in the poll? He has yet to throw a pitch in The Blue.

EndemicSox
02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
As much as I like Alexei Ramirez, I'd take Quentin, Burls, Danks, and Zambrano before him if MLB had a re-draft.

russ99
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Oh man. Blasphemy!! I actually like Lou, he's very entertaining. But Ozzie's my favorite Chicago baseball manager since Chuck Tanner.

IMO the guy who gets a raw deal in this article and the true best baseball player (at least the best overall hitter) in Chicago is Jermaine Dye. he's been nothing but solid for us, even in his slump year in '07. WS MVP and top 3 in AL MVP voting in 2006 not good enough?

And I'd rank a few more Sox players and even Lee and Soriano over Alexei. Give the kid a few years, but not yet.

doublem23
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM

Is there a choice where I can take neither?

I love Ozzie, and Piniella's OK, too, but if I had to win a do-or-die game, uh, I don't know if I'd hand my time to either guy.

thomas35forever
02-12-2009, 05:07 PM
I love how De Luca sees him as a five-tool player and that he says those are hard to come by in baseball these days. God, I love Alexei!:D:

soxinem1
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM

In a few years, Marmol might be the legit winner of the issue of a closer (but a word of caution: most closers have very short shelf lives, so he has to become one first). So if you go by current results as a closer, gotta go with Jenks. Marmol does not have much success or experience, in that role.

But the question asked about an arm, and I think Marmol wins. He may not throw as hard as the 2005 Bobby Jenks in terms of raw speed, but he has some nasty, moving stuff, which ultimately wins out over speed. His K/IP and H/IP ratios are obscene!!!

If I need a K, I'd call on Marmol.

LITTLE NELL
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
I'll go with Jenks over Marmol-ade.

DumpJerry
02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I am now convinced that WSIers have been hit with short-term memory problems.

Jenks' curve can be one of the most wicked ones in the league. He gets guys swinging at it when it is only halfway to the plate. If they wait for it to arrive, they look like a fool who has never swung a baseball bat....

TheVulture
02-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I love Ozzie, and Piniella's OK, too, but if I had to win a do-or-die game, uh, I don't know if I'd hand my time to either guy.

The sox ended the season on three of them with everything on the line and Ozzie drew heat for starting pitchers on short rest, starting Wise and other things I can't remember. Obviously, the results were good.

And Ramirez has all the talent and had a great rookie year, but he has to do more before I'd call him the most complete player in Chicago. I'd still have to go with D. Lee when it comes to hitting, baserunning, and defense. If Ramirez plays a good SS and continues what he started at the plate, I might have to change my mind.

white sox bill
02-13-2009, 07:51 AM
The only ? I was undecided was Oz or Lou. We are blessed to have two very animated and emotional managers in Chicago. I chose Ozzie...

Madscout
02-13-2009, 07:57 AM
My favorite quote in the article...

When Ozzie says that Alexi has a chance to make people forget all about Ozzie Guillen.

beasly213
02-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I would say that Alexei might be the most clutch player in Chicago. Along with him and TCQ they had so many big situation hits in 08 I lost count.

russ99
02-13-2009, 09:06 AM
In a few years, Marmol might be the legit winner of the issue of a closer (but a word of caution: most closers have very short shelf lives, so he has to become one first). So if you go by current results as a closer, gotta go with Jenks. Marmol does not have much success or experience, in that role.

But the question asked about an arm, and I think Marmol wins. He may not throw as hard as the 2005 Bobby Jenks in terms of raw speed, but he has some nasty, moving stuff, which ultimately wins out over speed. His K/IP and H/IP ratios are obscene!!!

If I need a K, I'd call on Marmol.

Marmol has great stuff, but he's been a setup guy and closer is a whole different ballgame, especially mentally. Seeing how he unravelled in the playoffs vs. Arizona, I have doubts as to how effective he will be. Gregg may end up being the closer after all.

So, seriously you have to give it to Jenks, He's done it all, regular season, playoffs and World Series. He may not be the sexy pick, especially since his K's are down since 2005-06, but he's a top-5 closer.