PDA

View Full Version : Nationals Reach Agreement with Adam Dunn

Sargeant79
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/nationals-adam.html

Looks like another domino falling today...

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Don't look now, but the Nats have a pretty good core of young power hitters in the middle of their lineup.

They still have no pitching, but the offense could make some noise, and trouble in the NL East this year.

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Don't look now, but the Nats have a pretty good core of young power hitters in the middle of their lineup.

They still have no pitching, but the offense could make some noise, and trouble in the NL East this year.

They might have a shot at the NL pennant if only they could pry away Jeremy Sowers.....

FedEx227
02-11-2009, 02:25 PM
They might have a shot at the NL pennant if only they could pry away Jeremy Sowers.....

I'm assuming you're joking.

I really hope you are.

JorgeFabregas
02-11-2009, 02:25 PM
2 years, $20 million
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/11/dunn.nats/?eref=sircrc

Sargeant79
02-11-2009, 02:27 PM
2 years, $20 million

I'm really surprised he got that much. Then again, it is the Nationals, and they have to overpay to get good players to consider them as free agents.

Dunn was really smart to sign that, especially once Abreu signed earlier in the day.

doublem23
02-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm assuming you're joking.

I really hope you are.

He's poking fun at much.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109343

Banix12
02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
2 years, $20 million

overpaying in a buyers market. Sounds like a Jim Bowden kind of move.

Jollyroger2
02-11-2009, 02:32 PM

I'll believe that when I see it. The Nats were downright awful in every respect last season. They still need a better supporting cast but it's nice to see the front office finally move their butt and sign someone notable.

And without decent pitching, they're still a 70-75 win team tops even with Dunn.

Jollyroger2
02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
overpaying in a buyers market. Sounds like a Jim Bowden kind of move.

A lot of the local media's been slamming the Nats for their lack of activity...ticket holders have been deserting in droves and now at least they have a big name to market. But yeah, they overpaid...the rest of the team is still pretty lousy.

Banix12
02-11-2009, 02:42 PM
A lot of the local media's been slamming the Nats for their lack of activity...ticket holders have been deserting in droves and now at least they have a big name to market. But yeah, they overpaid...the rest of the team is still pretty lousy.

thinking about it, considering Christian Guzman led the team last year in just about every offensive category and the team leader in home runs had a whopping 14, overpaying for Adam Dunn probably isn't a bad idea.

esbrechtel
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
KENNY DAMNIT!

:redneck

guillensdisciple
02-11-2009, 02:51 PM
In this market, this contract might be a little much, but just the fact that he got 10 million only when a couple of weeks ago we were talking about Abreu for 8 million minimum. Woooooooowwwwww, this is a true show of just how bad the baseball market is, and just how stupid the Yankees are.

I expect the White Sox to fly under the radar this year, and explode on to the scene in a couple of years, if the baseball market continues on this path.

jabrch
02-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Like who?

An always injured Nick Johnson? A sub .240, 200K 40H Dunn (if he can hit that many HRs moving to a bigger park) Ziimerman? Milledge? Dukes?

They suck.

DirtySox
02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Soooo how far away is Strasburg?

GAsoxfan
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
They did overpay in this market, but maybe they had to pay a little extra to get Dunn to commit for a second year instead of taking a one-year deal and trying the market next off-season.

Even if they did give up a too much, when you finished last in the NL in OPS (.696), signing a guy who was 9th in the NL in OPS (.898) last year is a pretty good move.

Jjav829
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
With Abreu and Dunn signing today, the Dodgers just lost half of their backup plan if they don't sign Manny. They really needed him before, but with the OF market now dried up, they can't afford to blow it now.

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Like who?

An always injured Nick Johnson? A sub .240, 200K 40H Dunn (if he can hit that many HRs moving to a bigger park) Ziimerman? Milledge? Dukes?

They suck.

Dunn, Zimmerman, Willingham - all proven.

If Dukes or Milledge ever get their heads on straight, they could be decent ballplayers.

I didn't say the Nats were going to wow anyone year in and year out, I said they have a decent core for a team that has sucked greatly the last few years.

FedEx227
02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
The rotation is still kinda dicey though.

1. J. Lannan
2. S. Olsen
3. S. Hill
4. D. Cabrera
5. C. Balester

Not... AWFUL, but not very good.

whitesox901
02-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Nats got some power in their line-up now

VeeckAsInWreck
02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
With Abreu and Dunn signing today, the Dodgers just lost half of their backup plan if they don't sign Manny. They really needed him before, but with the OF market now dried up, they can't afford to blow it now.

I'm expecting a game of chicken between Manny and the Dodgers from this point on. :popcorn:

BleacherBandit
02-11-2009, 09:17 PM
If Teixeira went to Washington, like he 'wanted' to, imagine how good of a middle lineup they would have. :tongue:

DSpivack
02-11-2009, 09:30 PM
If Teixeira went to Washington, like he 'wanted' to, imagine how good of a middle lineup they would have. :tongue:

If they got Teixeira, they wouldn't have Dunn.

Nats got some power in their line-up now

If Dukes or Milledge ever get their heads on straight, they could be decent ballplayers.

I didn't say the Nats were going to wow anyone year in and year out, I said they have a decent core for a team that has sucked greatly the last few years.

Willingham is decent, nothing special. Zimmerman is not a great offensive player; good, slightly better than Joe Crede.

This is a team that hit 117 HRs last season.

I'd be shocked if they win much more than 70 games.

BleacherBandit
02-11-2009, 11:32 PM
If they got Teixeira, they wouldn't have Dunn.

What, they couldn't afford Teixeira?

jabrch
02-11-2009, 11:52 PM

Zimmerman (428 ABs) and Willingham (351 ABs) each had 14 HRs. Are those are "proven power hitters"?

InKennyWeTrust
02-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Zimmerman (428 ABs) and Willingham (351 ABs) each had 14 HRs. Are those are "proven power hitters"?
Is that what we do, look at most recent year when considering how proven they are?

DSpivack
02-12-2009, 12:06 AM
What, they couldn't afford Teixeira?

Huh? I'm saying if they signed Mark Teixeira, they wouldn't have signed Adam Dunn after that.

Marqhead
02-12-2009, 07:23 AM

How bout a little depth to your analysis?

Is that what we do, look at most recent year when considering how proven they are?

Thank you, Willingham had two 20+ HR seasons before a slight down year.

Zimmerman had two 20+ HR seasons before being injured last year.

Both are decent hitters, and with some additional protection in the lineup, which IMO they now have, they should both put together decent seasons.

guillensdisciple
02-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Both Zimmerman and Willingham were said to be ready to break out, but injuries hampered their previous year even though they showed strong efforts. They are really good hitters, and will play a role in making the Nationals line-up more efficient. However, the nationals pitching, or lack there of, really puts them in a bind so I don't see this team winning more then 5 games over the previous year.

Marqhead
02-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Both Zimmerman and Willingham were said to be ready to break out, but injuries hampered their previous year even though they showed strong efforts. They are really good hitters, and will play a role in making the Nationals line-up more efficient. However, the nationals pitching, or lack there of, really puts them in a bind so I don't see this team winning more then 5 games over the previous year.

Absolutley, and I wasn't trying to say the Nats would be good, or that they would win the east. People were warping my words (a familiar WSI practice.)

The Nats have replaced Aaron Boon with Adam Dunn, Willie Harris with Josh Willingham, and Austin Kearns with Elijah Dukes. Add in a healthy Zimmerman, and they have a much better core than last year. They aren't going to be world beaters, but looking at how the past two years in the NL East have come down to the wire, I would much rather face last years team, than this years team.

All I was saying is there has been improvement.

EndemicSox
02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
$10 million per for a guy who hits 40 homers a season, and gets on base almost 40% of the time is not over-paying, imo. He should have started his "new" career in the AL as DH, but that will come 2 years from now, hopefully as Thome's replacement, if the Sox can't develop/acquire a bat as powerful as Dunn's before that time. The guy looks like a lumberjack, and is a butcher in the field, but his bat is worth the $10 million.

I think Zimmerman will be a top 3-5 3B in a few years, he is the real deal. I'm always impressed when I see him on TV, guy could probably play SS if he lost a few pounds. As for the rest of that team, meh, but time will tell...

DSpivack
02-12-2009, 02:47 PM
$10 million per for a guy who hits 40 homers a season, and gets on base almost 40% of the time is not over-paying, imo. He should have started his "new" career in the AL as DH, but that will come 2 years from now. I'd take Dunn over Thome any day of the week. The guy looks like a lumberjack, and his a hack in the field, but his bat is worth the $10 million.

I think Zimmerman will be a top 3-5 3B in a few years, he is the real deal.

In this market I think it is definitely overpaying; Abreu signed for just $5 mil for one season. A team coming off a 100-loss season, however, often does have to overpay, so it's not surprising.

Top 5 is possible. Zimmerman is a good fielder and a solid hitter, but no way does he end up better than Evan Longoria or David Wright; Edwin Encarnacion, Alex Gordon or Mark Reynolds seem more comparable.

EndemicSox
02-12-2009, 02:52 PM
In this market I think it is definitely overpaying; Abreu signed for just $5 mil for one season. A team coming off a 100-loss season, however, often does have to overpay, so it's not surprising.

Top 5 is possible. Zimmerman is a good fielder and a solid hitter, but no way does he end up better than Evan Longoria or David Wright; Edwin Encarnacion, Alex Gordon or Mark Reynolds seem more comparable.

Makes sense, like everything else, time will tell!