PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts?

t1mm41
02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I have to do a speech for school in a few days and I am doing it on the significance the 2005 world series trophy was/is so significant to the fans in the city of Chicago.

I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas.

Mr.1Dog
02-11-2009, 01:00 PM
:scratch: Why just the trophy of the World Series? Why wouldn't you do it on the significance of The Chicago baseball team winning the first World Series in the city since 1917?

kittle42
02-11-2009, 01:03 PM
It was completely insignificant and, in fact, never happened, because it did not involve the Cubs. Stop living in the past!

t1mm41
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
i in no way was referring to the cubs i just meant the Chicago White Sox fanbase

Rohan
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
It was completely insignificant and, in fact, never happened, because it did not involve the Cubs. Stop living in the past!

Wow kittle... chill out...

t1m: You could talk about how it kinda reinvigorated chicago sports, as well as the chicago sports fan base. The black hawks, bears, cubs all followed the 2005 white sox season with winning seasons.

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 01:42 PM

:tealpolice:

roylestillman
02-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I think this will provide all you need to know:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60092&highlight=2005+what+it+means

....or buy the book.

thomas35forever
02-11-2009, 01:47 PM

t1m: You could talk about how it kinda reinvigorated chicago sports, as well as the chicago sports fan base. The black hawks, bears, cubs all followed the 2005 white sox season with winning seasons.
Did you forget about the Bulls? I think they did something like sweep the defending NBA champions in the first round. Oh wait, they actually did.

t1mm41
02-11-2009, 01:54 PM

thanks i really like that idea

kittle42
02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Does anyone understand the implied teal concept? I thought this one was fairly obvious. I guess I'll just use teal 100% of the time to avoid, um, "confusion," to put it nicely.

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Does anyone understand the implied teal concept? I thought this one was fairly obvious. I guess I'll just use teal 100% of the time to avoid, um, "confusion," to put it nicely.

No kidding.

I'm going to stop using teal at all, and ignore the ramifications.

doublem23
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM

If it makes you feel better, I read that post with the teal implied.

As for the OP, all you have to do is remember that over 2 million people came downtown the day of the parade to celebrate the White Sox win. For all the talk of the Cubs/Sox rivalry, that really was one of the most special days in Chicago sports history.

spawn
02-11-2009, 02:21 PM
It was extremely obvious. It seems people are either extremely on edge or just have no sense of humor.

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Sorry, man. Had to do it after Rohan's reaction.

Rohan
02-11-2009, 02:57 PM
It was extremely obvious. It seems people are either extremely on edge or just have no sense of humor.

The Cubs sarcasm I understand. But I've heard people on this board seriously say "Stop living in the past" in reference to the 2005 world series. So I do have a sense of humor, but I think it's something that needs to be tealed because there are people here who actually frequently voice that statement.

kittle42
02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
The Cubs sarcasm I understand. But I've heard people on this board seriously say "Stop living in the past" in reference to the 2005 world series. So I do have a sense of humor, but I think it's something that needs to be tealed because there are people here who actually frequently voice that statement.

When the two statements are right next to each other, the sarcasm should be obvious.

Rohan
02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I can see your logic. But the two propositions don't really share a similar meaning.
One, says that the White Sox winning the world series was not significant because the event did not involve the cubs. The other states that the event was significant, but as White Sox fans we should forget our nostalgic season and "move on".
Two contradicting statements, one of which is commonly thrown around on these boards.
If your two implied teal statements shared a common point then I would agree with you. But they don't, hence bringing in a need for clarification of sarcasm.
This isn't even worth talking about Anymore. I respect you, and I don't care to bicker anymore.

AZChiSoxFan
02-11-2009, 05:36 PM

LOL, classic!

kittle42
02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I can see your logic. But the two propositions don't really share a similar meaning.
One, says that the White Sox winning the world series was not significant because the event did not involve the cubs. The other states that the event was significant, but as White Sox fans we should forget our nostalgic season and "move on".
Two contradicting statements, one of which is commonly thrown around on these boards.
If your two implied teal statements shared a common point then I would agree with you. But they don't, hence bringing in a need for clarification of sarcasm.
This isn't even worth talking about Anymore. I respect you, and I don't care to bicker anymore.

Yeah, we're arguing about petty crap now. Wait, that's what this whole site is!!!

soxfan43
02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Should be a fun speech to write. IF you need visuals, the crowd at teh parade would be a good start. Other ideas are how much it meant to a lot of the older fans who have been rooting for the Sox for decades. This speech should almost write itself, you have so many options. Good luck!

whitesox901
02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Do your own homework punk! :D: