View Full Version : Abreu signs with Angels

Sockinchisox
02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/49261

Frontman
02-11-2009, 08:37 AM

Another one Kenny let slip away!!!

At least this could put to bed the rumors of him signing with the White Sox.

Thome25
02-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Only $5 million?! Ok I usually joke about KW missing players that we're rumored to sign (and everyone wants.) But, for only $5 million I think he missed the boat on this one. We needed another left handed bat and he also had a high OBP.

This is one that stings a little especially since we're losing out another OF to the Angels again this year. This sucks.....dammit Kenny!! I hope Abreu goes out and sucks in 2009 to prove me wrong.

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Only $5 million?! Ok I usually joke about KW missing players that we're rumored to sign (and everyone wants.) But, for only $5 million I think he missed the boat on this one. We needed another left handed bat and he also had a high OBP.

This is one that stings a little especially since we're losing out another OF to the Angels again this year.

You can't trade Dye, and he's got nowhere to play. There's nothing you can do on this one.

spawn
02-11-2009, 08:46 AM

This is one that stings a little especially since we're losing out another OF to the Angels again this year. This sucks.....dammit Kenny!! I hope Abreu goes out and sucks in 2009 to prove me wrong.

You can't trade Dye, and he's got nowhere to play. There's nothing you can do on this one.
Exactly. KW doesn't deserve any fault for this one. That's why it sort of puzzled me when people were thinking there was such a trade market for Dye when there were less expensive options via the free agent route.

munchman33
02-11-2009, 08:47 AM

You can trade Dye. You'd just have to either eat salary or take crap back in return.

But yeah, Kenny's hands were pretty tied.

Sargeant79
02-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Agree completely. KW probably explored the possibility of trading Dye and other teams likely wanted him to take back some salary, which would almost defeat the purpose of any deal. Abreu's price being this low likely killed any trade market for Dye at his salary.

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 08:49 AM
You can trade Dye. You'd just have to either eat salary or take crap back in return.

But yeah, Kenny's hands were pretty tied.

That's what I was insinuating. I wanted Abreu, but not with a crap return on Dye.

munchman33
02-11-2009, 08:58 AM
That's what I was insinuating. I wanted Abreu, but not with a crap return on Dye.

Well, it still might have made sense. Trade him for nothing, sign Abreu cheaper, and sign another free agent with extra six million dollars.

But Kenny probably didn't want the media frenzy that would ensue for trading Dye for nothing.

jabrch
02-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Agreed - and anyhow, it would be a downgrade to go from Dye to Abreu. So why bother?

esbrechtel
02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Damn I really wanted this guy on the sox....oh well, it looks more and more like the Sox are going into the season with this roster...I trust kenny but I am really starting to get nervous.....

munchman33
02-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Agreed - and anyhow, it would be a downgrade to go from Dye to Abreu. So why bother?

How so? They're a wash defensively, but Abreu has a higher OBP and is lefthanded. Dye only hits for more power. If anything, it's a wash. And I'd argue that Abreu's a better fit.

doublem23
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
So... how many outfielders do the Angels have now? 9?

kittle42
02-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Crazy what the market has done. I just feel those Dye to the Reds rumors months ago had legs, but at the time, you can't pull the trigger in part probably because Abreu cost too much. Now, you can't get rid of Dye because he costs too much relative to what can be signed on the cheap. Interesting!

Craig Grebeck
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Abreu and Dye are an absolute wash when one considers the commitment. The problem, as others have pointed out, is that no one wants anything to do with trading for Dye with Abreu/Dunn still on the market.

FedEx227
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
So... how many outfielders do the Angels have now? 9?

Last I counted 7.67

But seriously:

Vlad
Gary Matthews Jr.
Torii Hunter
Reggie Willits
Bobby Abreu
Juan Rivera

Although this move makes sense for them because without Anderson done it may be time for Vlad to take the DH role.

soxinem1
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm glad to have JD around for 2009. I see no upgrade in getting Abreu to replace him.

JD may not be all that great in RF anymore, but I think he's better than Bobby in RF. Abreu may have a shotgun arm, but Dye will get more balls, which is more important.

And while Abreu may walk more than Dye, his power numbers have frankly stunk since he won the ASG HR hitting contest a few years ago. And since he K's quite a bit, who needs a declining K Machine?

WHILEPITCH
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
If Abreu signed for 5, i have to think we passed it up so we can keep Dye and sign Hudson for even a little less.

And short term, so it doesnt block Becks.

As far as Getz development, we can always consider Hudson for CF if Getz just absolutely crushes in ST somehow.

doublem23
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Last I counted 7.67

But seriously:

Vlad
Gary Matthews Jr.
Torii Hunter
Reggie Willits
Bobby Abreu
Juan Rivera

Although this move makes sense for them because without Anderson done it may be time for Vlad to take the DH role.

I think I read somewhere the Angels were also contemplating moving Figgins to CF to give Brandon Wood a chance at 3B... Though, this deal probably completely nixes that idea.

guillensdisciple
02-11-2009, 10:59 AM
WHAT!!!!!!!>!>!>!>!>!>!>

5 Million Dollars!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

That is insane, how much will Manny and Dunn actually get on this market?

I am almost regretting the fact that the White Sox didn't trade Dye for Bailey earlier on. Wow!!!! 5 Million?? We definitely could have afforded to get Abreu and probably still save money.

Wow, I am still shocked.:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

Britt Burns
02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm surprised at how little Abreu signed for, especially from the free-spending Angels. Too bad KW's hands were tied with nowhere for Abreu to play.

FedEx227
02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I think I read somewhere the Angels were also contemplating moving Figgins to CF to give Brandon Wood a chance at 3B... Though, this deal probably completely nixes that idea.

If you've ever seen Wood play in the infield you'll understand. He makes Josh Fields look like Brooks Robinson.

thedudeabides
02-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Over Hunter? Or even Mathews.

SOXfnNlansing
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
If Abreu signed for 5, i have to think we passed it up so we can keep Dye and sign Hudson for even a little less.

And short term, so it doesnt block Becks.

As far as Getz development, we can always consider Hudson for CF if Getz just absolutely crushes in ST somehow.

interesting...........

champagne030
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
If you've ever seen Wood play in the infield you'll understand. He makes Josh Fields look like Brooks Robinson.

What are you smoking? Wood is an average to solid SS and is even better at 3B.

FedEx227
02-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Okay. If you say so.

Above Average to Solid Brandon Wood
601 total games in professional baseball - 119 errors.

Mr. Rock Glove Josh Fields
606 professional games - 82 errors.

I hate to use errors but Wood boots A LOT of balls, watch any game of the guy, or check him out in spring training.

psyclonis
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
I may be reaching...

But the only way a guy that had 100 rbi w/ .371 obs (and has had consistent stats for the past 10 years) signs for 5mil is if hes on a certain list.

This guy is worth around 12mil... even if you consider his age.

FedEx227
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Nah, the market is just awful right now. Nobody is signing, look at how many guys are still waiting for deals.

It's pretty much a take whatever you can get this year market at this point.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Wait guys! Maybe the Angels are on to something here. They'll have 4 outfielders and 3 infielders. It's genius!

I'm sure they laughed at the first guy who wore pants too! :redneck

champagne030
02-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Okay. If you say so.

Above Average to Solid Brandon Wood
601 total games in professional baseball - 119 errors.

Mr. Rock Glove Josh Fields
606 professional games - 82 errors.

I hate to use errors but Wood boots A LOT of balls, watch any game of the guy, or check him out in spring training.

:rolleyes:

Wood's fielding % at SS is .956 and Fields is .927 at 3B.

And I've seen him in spring training and I agree with every scouting report I've ever seen (over the last 4 years) that says he has developed good footwork and has a great arm.

thomas35forever
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
No surprise there. We never seem to land the big guys. Then again, KW never seriously pursues them either. Time to get used to Dye as our right fielder for another year.

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Dammit! Now the Angels will win the World Series again this year, just like last year when they stole Torii Hunter from us!!!

turners56
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM

What the hell? Only $5 million? I guess he doesn't like us. We offered him $8 million. The Angels just love old outfielders I guess and old outfielders love them. Don't look now, but their starting outfield is all over 30 years of age.

sox1970
02-11-2009, 03:30 PM
What the hell? Only $5 million? I guess he doesn't like us. We offered him $8 million. The Angels just love old outfielders I guess and old outfielders love them. Don't look now, but their starting outfield is all over 30 years of age.

No they didn't.

Carolina Kenny
02-11-2009, 06:55 PM
You will go to war with Dye and like it.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I really wanted the Sox to sign him. Any other offseason we would have traded Dye and signed Abreu, if not for this crappy economy. I can't believe the Angels got him though. Hunter, Guerrero, Rivera, Mathews, and now Abreu? Where the hell is he gonna play? :scratch:

guillensdisciple
02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I really wanted the Sox to sign him. Any other offseason we would have traded Dye and signed Abreu, if not for this crappy economy. I can't believe the Angels got him though. Hunter, Guerrero, Rivera, Mathews, and now Abreu? Where the hell is he gonna play? :scratch:

Guerrero gets DH. Hunter center, Abreu Left, Rivera/ Matthews in right?

HomeFish
02-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Anaheim doesn't strike me as a team that suffers from a lack of power hitting outfielders, but so be it.

LoveYourSuit
02-11-2009, 10:52 PM
I think of the group of Dye, Thome, & Konerko, I don't see a single 150+ game player there.

It would have been nice to add solid insurance like Abreu to rotate with those 3 + CQ. Each guy playing about 135 games.

soxinem1
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
No surprise there. We never seem to land the big guys. Then again, KW never seriously pursues them either. Time to get used to Dye as our right fielder for another year.

I hope you mean that in a positive way. You seem to sound like we have to settle for Dave Gallagher or something in that realm.

spawn
02-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Yep. That pursuit of Torii Hunter last year was all smoke and mirrors. And JD as our RF is fine with me.

pearso66
02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
One thing people fail to think about, or I didn't see here, maybe he felt he had a better opportunity to win out in Anaheim. Maybe he figured if he was going to have to take a pay cut, it might as well be for a team that competes, and from what it seems everyone thinks of the Sox, they won't be competing.

HawkDJ
02-12-2009, 12:59 PM
The Mariners are about to sign Griffey for $5m. How exactly are these two players making the same amount?

LoveYourSuit
02-12-2009, 01:07 PM
One thing people fail to think about, or I didn't see here, maybe he felt he had a better opportunity to win out in Anaheim. Maybe he figured if he was going to have to take a pay cut, it might as well be for a team that competes, and from what it seems everyone thinks of the Sox, they won't be competing.

The AL West is as crappy as our division, but the Angels are head and shoulders above any other team there.

There is a 75% chance IMO the Angels are playing post-season baseball this year.

The Sox will be in a dog fight with 2 other teams for sure and don't count out KC and Detroit. The Sox look more like a 20% chance of playing post season this year, but that's because of the parity in the division.