PDA

View Full Version : Frightening story about Roberto Alomar

SOXfnNlansing
02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Not sure where to put this, but he's being sued for $15M. Caution, sensitive subject.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/02/10/2009-02-10_15m_lawsuit_claims_exmet_roberto_alomar_.html

soltrain21
02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
That is a pretty scary story. If this is the case, and he got HIV from the two men when he was 17, wouldn't the fatigue alone been too much for him to have such a long and prosperous career?

Thome25
02-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Wow....I hope this isn't true. I don't wish that on anybody. I wish him and his family well.

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Are people still using the term "full blown AIDS"? I thought that was a thing of the past.

DumpJerry
02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
There are a lot of huge holes in the story.

Chez
02-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Lost in the sensationalistic details of the story is the fact that the plaintiff apparently has never tested positive for HIV. She seeks $15 mil. essentially for "fear of HIV" when it's been more than 10 years since she was first "exposed." Don't get me started on lawsuits based on "fear" when there's no objective evidence that the person will ever develop the disease he/she fears.

Gammons Peter
02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
That could be contagious.....let's hope he never spit in anyones face

Whitesoxfan23
02-11-2009, 09:59 AM
That could be contagious.....let's hope he never spit in anyones face

It's never been transmitted by saliva. The odds of catching it sleeping with someone who has it are like 1 in a 1000. It's not easy to catch.

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
It's never been transmitted by saliva. The odds of catching it sleeping with someone who has it are like 1 in a 1000. It's not easy to catch.

Teal? If not, source? It can easily be passed by saliva if it enters an opening, such as a cut or sore, particularly if you kiss an infected person.

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Teal? If not, source? It can easily be passed by saliva if it enters an opening, such as a cut or sore, particularly if you kiss an infected person.

AIDS cannot be transmitted through saliva. HIV can, but there must be blood or pus in the saliva, and open sores for it to be transmitted into.

spawn
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.aids.gov/basic/101/index.html

bridgeportcopper
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/newstest.aspx?id=4211009

If this is true - this is the worst thing I've heard in a long while...also, who was the ump that he spit on?

seventyseven
02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
It can easily be passed by saliva if it enters an opening, such as a cut or sore, particularly if you kiss an infected person.

Is this a joke?

KRS1
02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Wow. If any of this story is true, and I were Robbie, I would have no question settled out of court.

soxfanatlanta
02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
:o:

Holy crap!

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 02:16 PM
What's the score?

jabrch
02-11-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/newstest.aspx?id=4211009

If this is true - this is the worst thing I've heard in a long while...also, who was the ump that he spit on?

Hirshbeck - right?

guillen4life13
02-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I really hope it's not true.

munchman33
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Lost in the sensationalistic details of the story is the fact that the plaintiff apparently has never tested positive for HIV. She seeks $15 mil. essentially for "fear of HIV" when it's been more than 10 years since she was first "exposed." Don't get me started on lawsuits based on "fear" when there's no objective evidence that the person will ever develop the disease he/she fears.

I didn't read the article, but your argument makes no sense. If I try to kill you, but you don't actually die, am I free to go?

If he knew he had HIV and slept with her without her knowing about it (or tried to misinform her about the dangers), that's attempted murder. Or at least attempted manslaughter. And she's certainly entitled to a civil case if she wants it.

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I think there is already a thread about this, but that's about Robbie Alomar.

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Is this a joke?

No. Reference Marqhead's comment above.

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
No. Reference Marqhead's comment above.

I said it was possible, but extremely rare. I read somewhere there is only 1 reported case of it happening this way.

The bottom line is, if you are kissing someone, you aren't going to get HIV or AIDS, unless you both happen to be bleeding from the mouth at the same time.

Quite unlikely.

JorgeFabregas
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
The one reported case involved someone kissing after flossing (read: blood in the saliva). IIRC.

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I said it was possible, but extremely rare. I read somewhere there is only 1 reported case of it happening this way.

The bottom line is, if you are kissing someone, you aren't going to get HIV or AIDS, unless you both happen to be bleeding from the mouth at the same time.

Quite unlikely.

My fault. I strike the word "easily" from the record.

guillen4life13
02-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I didn't read the article, but your argument makes no sense. If I try to kill you, but you don't actually die, am I free to go?

If he knew he had HIV and slept with her without her knowing about it (or tried to misinform her about the dangers), that's attempted murder. Or at least attempted manslaughter. And she's certainly entitled to a civil case if she wants it.

I would think it would come out to be criminal negligence at worst. If Alomar didn't know he had AIDS himself and had unprotected sex, that ought to be criminal negligence. It seems from the article that they both, supposedly, definitively found out about him being HIV positive at the same time.

If she had any suspicions but still consented to intercourse, then he is not at fault unless it can be proven that he knew he was HIV positive.

All that said, given that major national news outlets have not picked up on this yet and this is from the NY Daily News Gossip section, I am very skeptical as to how truthful or reliable this article is. But it still worries me.

doublem23
02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
The legal paperwork is up on TSG:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0211091alomar1.html

Kilroy
02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
AIDS cannot be transmitted through saliva. HIV can, but there must be blood or pus in the saliva, and open sores for it to be transmitted into.

I think Spawn's link should do enuf explaining, but I'd like to state it for anyone that does not click it, HIV CANNOT be spread thru saliva.

The one problem I have with the story is that, as I read it, sometime in 2005, or early 2006, they moved to Cleveland and that is the time frame when he was supposed to have tested positive for AIDS. At that point she stopped having unprotected sex with him, but they stayed together.

Is that what you all read?

Anyway, fast-forward to October 2008, they break up, and 3 months later she slaps him with a law-suit?

Was she waiting for him to die thinking she'd get cash, but then they broke up so now she has to sue to get the cash?

Marqhead
02-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I think Spawn's link should do enuf explaining, but I'd like to state it for anyone that does not click it, HIV CANNOT be spread thru saliva.

Correct. Not saliva, blood IN the saliva. So it is possible, but as I stated earlier rare.

munchman33
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I would think it would come out to be criminal negligence at worst. If Alomar didn't know he had AIDS himself and had unprotected sex, that ought to be criminal negligence. It seems from the article that they both, supposedly, definitively found out about him being HIV positive at the same time.

If she had any suspicions but still consented to intercourse, then he is not at fault unless it can be proven that he knew he was HIV positive.

All that said, given that major national news outlets have not picked up on this yet and this is from the NY Daily News Gossip section, I am very skeptical as to how truthful or reliable this article is. But it still worries me.

Was he cheating on her and having unprotected sex? She'd still have enough to make a case that he put her life in danger, if she could prove he cheated.

Chez
02-11-2009, 02:55 PM

You're mixing apples and oranges (civil v. criminal standards). If your roomate for 5 years, say in the 1970's, smoked cigarettes; should you be able to now sue him for emotional distress because of your fear of developing lung cancer from second-hand smoke despite the fact that there's no medical evidence to suggest that you have lung cancer or are at an increased risk for developing lung cancer in the future? I say no.

EnglishChiSox
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Was he cheating on her and having unprotected sex? She'd still have enough to make a case that he put her life in danger, if she could prove he cheated.

Or prove he actually knew previous to the test in 2006 which i'd presume you'd need test results from whenever a previous was taken if there was.

kittle42
02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey, hey - more legal eagle-ing from non-lawyers with no idea what they're talking about....and it went so well in the last thread. :)

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey, hey - more legal eagle-ing from non-lawyers with no idea what they're talking about....and it went so well in the last thread. :)

I can have you arreested for typing that. It's the law.

chaerulez
02-11-2009, 03:32 PM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/02/lawsuit-claims.html

Whitesoxfan23
02-11-2009, 03:50 PM
If it could be passed through saliva than HIV would have been alot worse a long time ago. That's why you can't get it from kissing.

JB98
02-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but wouldn't Alomar be dead by now if he had "full-blown AIDS" in 2006?

This story just doesn't seem real plausible to me.

DumpJerry
02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Kittle, this time we've thrown public health into the mix. It's turning out to be just as accurate.

More exciting than dry and dusty copyright laws.

DumpJerry
02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but wouldn't Alomar be dead by now if he had "full-blown AIDS" in 2006?
No. There are people who had AIDS 10 years or so who are still alive and well today thanks to advances in medicines.

dickallen15
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
No. There are people who had AIDS 10 years or so who are still alive and well today thanks to advances in medicines.
What is amazing is reading the lawsuit, the guy can barely walk, has a mouth full of sores, white spots all over, yet 2 years after he gets diagnosed, he's at a Blue Jays game getting honored, looking exactly like he did when he played, if not a little heavier, and even more crazy, she was continuing to have unprotected sex with him.This woman is a 31 year old single mom who runs a massage business, and is living high off the hog. She also, according to the lawsuit, looked the other way when all these signs of illness slapped her in the face. If she was having unprotected sex with him and he was subjecting her to all this mental anquish, when he did get diagnosed, why didn't she dump him and sue him then? She lives with him 2 1/2 more years, they break up, now she wants money. I'm more than a little skeptical. This is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$
if you ask me. I bet they are holding a deposition with some very personal questions over his head.

JB98
02-11-2009, 04:09 PM

I guess I just always thought there was a difference between "living with HIV" and "full-blown AIDS."

I know there are HIV-positive people who have lived for years and years with the advances in medicine. I was not aware that you could have "full-blown AIDS" and recover your health.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the subject. Nobody in my family or social circle is HIV-positive, and I've never been inclined to read too much about it.

LITTLE NELL
02-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Nothing shocks me anymore, yet everyday in the news there is always something hard to believe.

gr8mexico
02-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Here are some pictures from April 2008.
The guy looks the same
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=roberto%20alomar&assetType=image&ep=2&src=quick

Domeshot17
02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I am by no means a lawyer but I was interested enough to ask a friend of mine who is one.

Her response was (as most of us seem to guess) she just wants his money. Because he did not know he was sick when they had sex, there was no intent. There would be precedent if he knew he was sick/had an STD as cases like that have prevailed. The sticky part is when he refused the test, but they were having sex before he was told be tested, and she was unharmed, so negligence is hard to prove at best.

We also had a fairly long discussion about the can of worms this could open up, being a high profile case with a future HOF ballplayer. This would mean everyone who has ever had sex is responsible for knowing if they have an STD or not. That in itself is not a bad thing, but how many of us went and got tested when we became sexually active. Do people need to carry their papers around with them? Do partners need to request to see them to protect themselves?

No one knows if there is more to this. Being a professional athlete, could alomar had gotten this from an impulsive 1 night stand? yes. But say he really did contract it from the rape. Shouldn't he have known he has had it for a long time or atleast the possibilities? He would have had enough physicals, and Im guessing a very in depth blood analysis for any insurance policies. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. It could change a lot.

soxinem1
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I've never been a fan of Alomar, but I hold an even bigger issue with gold-diggers. I hope she gets NOTHING. If she was so concerned about her well-being, all she had to do was stop screwing him.

Hey, let's be honest. Why would a reasonably intelligent person have any physical contact with someone who had open sores and all the other disgusting details she gave?

As far as Robbie being HIV, well, Magic Johnson has had the virus over 20 years. This is not the mid-80's when people were dying in a year after finding out they were HIV/AIDS.

But according to the Center for Disease Control, they have this to say:

'HIV is found in varying concentrations or amounts in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, breast milk, saliva, and tears.'

Now if John Hershbeck, God forbid, tests +, he should sue till the cows come home.

hi im skot
02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
'HIV is found in varying concentrations or amounts in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, breast milk, saliva, and tears.'

Now if John Hershbeck, God forbid, tests +, he should sue till the cows come home.

We've gone over this already.

soxinem1
02-11-2009, 05:17 PM
We've gone over this already.

Are you a mod now?

AZChiSoxFan
02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
The one problem I have with the story is that, as I read it, sometime in 2005, or early 2006, they moved to Cleveland and that is the time frame when he was supposed to have tested positive for AIDS. At that point she stopped having unprotected sex with him, but they stayed together.

The part of this story that makes me question the sanity and judgment of both of them is the fact that they voluntarily moved to Cleveland.

hi im skot
02-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Are you a mod now?

What does me pointing out that other folks have mentioned this already have to do with being a mod?

AZChiSoxFan
02-11-2009, 05:27 PM
What does me pointing out that other folks have mentioned this already have to do with being a mod?

Soxinem1 just posted info from the CDC. If you have an issue with that content, you should take it up with the CDC. No offense intended to anyone here, but if I have to choose, I will take the word of the CDC over the word of posters at WSI.

DumpJerry
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I guess I just always thought there was a difference between "living with HIV" and "full-blown AIDS."

I know there are HIV-positive people who have lived for years and years with the advances in medicine. I was not aware that you could have "full-blown AIDS" and recover your health.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the subject. Nobody in my family or social circle is HIV-positive, and I've never been inclined to read too much about it.
Someone I know had AIDS pretty bad almost 10 years ago. He was literally in his final days, told to get his affairs in order, etc.

Then they gave him a-then experimental drug treatment. Today, he is healthy as a horse (where did that phrase come from? Horses get sick) and never gets sick because the drugs he has to take each day have his immune system so jacked up, even a common cold can't infect him.

kittle42
02-11-2009, 05:36 PM

For the second time in two days, I want to bash my head against the wall.

DumpJerry
02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
For the second time in two days, I want to bash my head against the wall.
I'm sorry to inform you that I created that phrase in an email I sent to a friend three weeks ago. I own it. My attorney will be in contact with you.

JB98
02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Someone I know had AIDS pretty bad almost 10 years ago. He was literally in his final days, told to get his affairs in order, etc.

Then they gave him a-then experimental drug treatment. Today, he is healthy as a horse (where did that phrase come from? Horses get sick) and never gets sick because the drugs he has to take each day have his immune system so jacked up, even a common cold can't infect him.

Interesting. You learn something new each day.

I do still find this woman's lawsuit highly dubious, however.

Whitesoxfan23
02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
This is from cdc.gov

HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.

PennStater98r
02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
It's in the major news now:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/11/alomar.aids.lawsuit/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

kittle42
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
This is from cdc.gov

HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.

But what about Hirschbeck?

MISoxfan
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Soxinem1 just posted info from the CDC. If you have an issue with that content, you should take it up with the CDC. No offense intended to anyone here, but if I have to choose, I will take the word of the CDC over the word of posters at WSI.

I'll take the word of the CDC as well. Specifically where it says that there is no risk from casual kissing and that the risk for an open-mouth kiss is extremely low. Also the part where it says that contact of saliva, sweat, or tears has never been shown to transmit HIV.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/transmission.htm

ronkittlerocks
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
At this point, i think if successfully treated with PIs, NRTIs and NNRTIs, AIDS can be regressed back to HIV and then back to almost immeasurable viral load. Not a good idea to not get tested, though. Robbie I would assume is on the best medicine out there.

:bandance::bandance:

thomas35forever
02-11-2009, 08:07 PM
People need to cool it here. No way is that ump going to get the virus. Alomar didn't have it back then. Forget the lawsuit. What about the fact that a future HOFer has AIDS?:(:

Whitesoxfan23
02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
People need to cool it here. No way is that ump going to get the virus. Alomar didn't have it back then. Forget the lawsuit. What about the fact that a future HOFer has AIDS?:(:

I am still questioning whether or not he has it or not. Don't baseball players get tested regulary for things all the time? I find it hard to believe that this fell through the cracks...

Viva Medias B's
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I am still questioning whether or not he has it or not. Don't baseball players get tested regulary for things all the time? I find it hard to believe that this fell through the cracks...

Sandy Alomar Sr. also denied any knowledge of this too. Now if Robbie was infected with this, wouldn't his family know about it?

HomeFish
02-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't buy it. Sounds like a botched attempt at blackmail to me.

kittle42
02-11-2009, 11:25 PM
People need to cool it here. No way is that ump going to get the virus.

Don't worry about it. Only the stupidest person on the planet or the nearest equivalent to such would think that's a likely scenario.

MetroPD
02-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Did anyone else ever hear any of these rumors?
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvMF_sfBBMWq8VcolZtfnssRvLYF?slug=ap-alomarlawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

whitesox901
02-11-2009, 11:32 PM
thank god, I thought it was one of those maybe we should sign.... threads :D:

Domeshot17
02-11-2009, 11:35 PM
big thread on this in WTS, messed up situation

Rudy Law
02-12-2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/Story?id=6857096&page=2

Not sure if this has been posted.....A sad story in so many ways......

Rocky Soprano
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109373

EndemicSox
02-12-2009, 03:06 PM
As many others have said, it all depends on whether or not he knew he had the HIV virus at the time. If so, I'm all for the borderline death penalty in these cases(basically life in prison). If some other woman comes forward with claims that he has been sleeping around lately, it could get interesting, in a bad way. You wouldn't think someone could be that evil, but thinking logically usually is put on the back-burner when it comes to relations with the opposite sex.