18- Brent Lillibridge
24- Dayan Viciedo
38- Cole Armstrong
40- Bartolo Colon
48- Jeff Marquez
57- Kelvin Jimenez

DirtySox
02-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Is it too early to wonder what number Beckham will be so I can get a jersey made?

oeo
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Is it too early to wonder what number Beckham will be so I can get a jersey made?

Even if he is called up this year, I'd wait until at least the beginning of 2010 for the number he will keep.

WhiteSox1989
02-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Who will be the new Dirty 30?

WhiteSox5187
02-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Didn't Quentin wear 17 early in spring training last year? Other wise that number has had a rough track record of late, Mike Caruso and Erstad come to mind.

Rohan
02-10-2009, 10:53 PM
No one will be dirty thirty.
It's a curse.
A curse of a me first, whiny, cry baby attitude.

oeo
Didn't Quentin wear 17 early in spring training last year? Other wise that number has had a rough track record of late, Mike Caruso and Erstad come to mind.

He never actually wore it. He was listed as 17 in January, and then at Soxfest he said he was going to be 20.

skobabe8
Why is it that my favorite number can't be on the back of the next Sox superstar????

oeo
02-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Why is it that my favorite number can't be on the back of the next Sox superstar????

What number is that? 8?

Not a Jeff Cox fan?

skobabe8
02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I like Cox just fine, but I'm not gonna drop a couple of Benjamins on an authentic Cox jersey.

I do own a Mark Johnson jersey, for the record.

BadBobbyJenks
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
I like Cox just fine, but I'm not gonna drop a couple of Benjamins on an authentic Cox jersey.

Maybe Carl Everett will come back?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-10-2009, 11:59 PM

Never purchased an Albert Belle jersey?

chisox616
02-11-2009, 12:01 AM

Funny you should say that, my girlfriend is obsessed with Troy Glaus because of his number (8 on the Cardinals). I'll never understand it.

And maybe it's just because of Manny, but 24 seems like a good fit for Viciedo, so long as he turns out to be as intimidating.

Harry Potter
02-11-2009, 12:05 AM
And maybe it's just because of Manny, but 24 seems like a good fit for Viciedo, so long as he turns out to be as intimidating.

What, no Joe Crede?

guillen4life13
02-11-2009, 12:14 AM

Tony Graffanino wore 17. I liked him. I truly felt so bad for him in the '05 ALDS with his defensive botch. He was a fun player to watch on the Sox early in the decade.

Chrisaway
02-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Didn't Quentin wear 17 early in spring training last year? Other wise that number has had a rough track record of late, Mike Caruso and Erstad come to mind.Griffey

delben91
02-11-2009, 06:20 AM
#57 gives me Kevin Beirne flashbacks.

Thome25
02-11-2009, 08:21 AM

What number is that? 8?

Not a Jeff Cox fan?

An authentic Bo Jackson jersey with the #8 on the back would be nice IMHO.

eriqjaffe
02-11-2009, 08:25 AM
GriffeyAnd, of course, Ross Gload.

chisox616
02-11-2009, 08:38 AM
What, no Joe Crede?

Hey, if he turns into an excellent defensive third baseman who knows how to hit when it counts, then that works fine for me too. Just keep the back problems away. :D:

WhiteSox5187
02-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Griffey
Oh yea, of course, he didn't exactly set the world on fire.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
#57 gives me Kevin Beirne flashbacks.

To quote Bart Simpson:

"I don't think any of us expected him to say that!"

esbrechtel
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
an authentic bo jackson jersey with the #8 on the back would be nice imho.

Agreed!

BleacherBandit
02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
5 is my favorite number. I was ok with Uribe wearing it. I don't know about Nix...Hopefully he'll show some flashes of Dimaggio while wearing it. :cool:
That seems to be the biggest inspiration for people to wear #5.

turners56
02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I know, big news...according to the Sox website:

5- Jayson Nix
15- Wilson Betemit
17- Chris Getz
18- Brent Lillibridge
24- Dayan Viciedo
38- Cole Armstrong
40- Bartolo Colon
48- Jeff Marquez
57- Kelvin Jimenez

Jayson Nix - Juan Uribe #2. Dayan takes over Crede's number :)

UofCSoxFan
02-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Griffey had his moments.

doublem23
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Jayson Nix - Juan Uribe #2. Dayan takes over Crede's number :)

I'm a little surprised they gave it away so fast.

DaveFeelsRight
02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
how dare getz wear ross gload's number!

BleacherBandit
02-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Betemit is wearing Iguchi's number! :angry:

BadBobbyJenks
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Did you think it was going to get retired?

BleacherBandit
02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Did you think it was going to get retired?

Teams frequently abstain from handing out numbers that prominent players once wore, even if they wont be retired. Nomar's number 5 isn't issued to players in Boston, even though it will never be retired, because he didn't play there for the minimum 10 years.

SoxFan1979
02-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Bartolo Colon is back?

VeeckAsInWreck
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Bartolo Colon is back?

Many scary things have happened since you were in that coma. It's best you find out on your own from this point on! :redneck

BadBobbyJenks
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Teams frequently abstain from handing out numbers that prominent players once wore, even if they wont be retired. Nomar's number 5 isn't issued to players in Boston, even though it will never be retired, because he didn't play there for the minimum 10 years.

Are you comparing Iguchi to Nomar?

oeo
02-11-2009, 09:05 PM

I could see no one wearing #14 for awhile after Konerko leaves, but he's probably the only one on the roster (maybe Buehrle, as well). Iguchi? You can't be serious.

BleacherBandit
02-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I could see no one wearing #14 for awhile after Konerko leaves, but he's probably the only one on the roster (maybe Buehrle, as well). Iguchi? You can't be serious.

I'm not saying never issue it again. I'm just showing how some franchises decide not to hand out numbers for a little bit after a player leaves. Iguchi is in no way compairable to Garciaparra, but first of all, his talent isn't up to my review and second, I wouldn't have been surprised if they would have waited a while to re-issue the numbers of any of the 2005 starters.

oeo
02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm not saying never issue it again. I'm just showing how some franchises decide not to hand out numbers for a little bit after a player leaves. Iguchi is in no way compairable to Garciaparra, but first of all, his talent isn't up to my review and second, I wouldn't have been surprised if they would have waited a while to re-issue the numbers of any of the 2005 starters.

As far as I'm concerned, any non-retired number except 35 (which is unofficially retired at this point, anyway) is fair game.

BleacherBandit
02-11-2009, 11:33 PM
As far as I'm concerned, any non-retired number except 35 (which is unofficially retired at this point, anyway) is fair game.
Fair enough.

decolores9628
02-12-2009, 01:31 AM

Amen. No one is worthy of the next retired number except for Frank

Chez
02-12-2009, 06:58 AM
No; Iguchi wore Dick Allen's number! :D:

whitesox901
02-12-2009, 10:12 AM

sounds good

Thome25
02-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Speaking of "unoffically" retired numbers, I remember Robin Ventura's #23 was unoffically retired by Joe Nossek. Joe switched his number to 23 after Robin left so no one else could wear it. After Joe left, they started issuing it again. It still pains me to see Dye wearing it.

The act of "unofficially" retiring numbers has been common practice in MLB for years. It is usually done by the clubhouse guy who issues the numbers to players.

RF/DH#3
02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
#65 will always be Kelly Wunsch to Me!! But Yes I do Agree any # is game to be worn with the exception of #35 that will be up on that LF wall and also be complemented with a Statue on the Concourse hopefully soon enough so Frank can actually enjoy the moment.

whitesox901
02-12-2009, 09:04 PM
#65 will always be Kelly Wunsch to Me!! But Yes I do Agree any # is game to be worn with the exception of #35 that will be up on that LF wall and also be complemented with a Statue on the Concourse hopefully soon enough so Frank can actually enjoy the moment.

:welcome:

I think 35 and 13 will both be next

RF/DH#3
02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
13???? I remember growing up watching Ozzie throwin Leather but he was no matter what the make up of the team was, he was the Number 9 hitter, not very good with the bat. But I could maybe still see him up on that Wall if he could do another 2005 or a handfull of 2005's!!!

JimmyJoe
02-15-2009, 05:24 PM
:welcome:

I think 35 and 13 will both be next

Frank Thomas most definately should be the next White Sox jersey number retired.

Corlose 15
02-15-2009, 09:21 PM
13???? I remember growing up watching Ozzie throwin Leather but he was no matter what the make up of the team was, he was the Number 9 hitter, not very good with the bat. But I could maybe still see him up on that Wall if he could do another 2005 or a handfull of 2005's!!!

If the Sox win another title with Guillen at the helm they'd have to retire his number I'd think. 13 years as a player with a rookie of the year, gold glove, 3 all star games played on a division winner as well as managing 10+ years with a couple titles? It'd be no contest.

whitesox901
02-16-2009, 03:26 AM
If the Sox win another title with Guillen at the helm they'd have to retire his number I'd think. 13 years as a player with a rookie of the year, gold glove, 3 all star games played on a division winner as well as managing 10+ years with a couple titles? It'd be no contest.

most deff, also any chance we see #14 on that wall someday? 10+ seasons, IIRC Pauly is 2nd on the all time White Sox HR list

Thome25
02-16-2009, 08:27 AM

IMO Guillen already deserves to have his number retired because of his accomplishments as a player AND a manager with the White Sox.

He won't have to win another WS in my opinion. The #13 will be up there with the rest of the retired numbers IMHO.

C-Dawg
02-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Speaking of "unoffically" retired numbers, I remember Robin Ventura's #23 was unoffically retired by Joe Nossek. Joe switched his number to 23 after Robin left so no one else could wear it. After Joe left, they started issuing it again. It still pains me to see Dye wearing it.

After Ryne Sandberg went into the Hall of Fame, the Tribune did an article about the "signifigance" of #23 here in Chicago. They mentioned Sandberg, Jordan, Dye, Devin Hester.... but not Ventura. I thought it was an odd list.

JimmyJoe
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
What, no mention of retiring #20 for Jerry Dybzinski? We should be looking into this.

wulfy
02-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Maybe Carl Everett will come back?

Or Ron LeFlore.

WhiteSox5187
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
most deff, also any chance we see #14 on that wall someday? 10+ seasons, IIRC Pauly is 2nd on the all time White Sox HR list
Of the current roster I think 14 and 56 are virtual locks to be retired at some point. 35 will be retired as soon as Frank does (they have practically said as much), I think once Ozzie either gets fired or decides to step down they will retire number 13.

Thome25
02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
After Ryne Sandberg went into the Hall of Fame, the Tribune did an article about the "signifigance" of #23 here in Chicago. They mentioned Sandberg, Jordan, Dye, Devin Hester.... but not Ventura. I thought it was an odd list.

I'll never understand why Robin gets overlooked so much. I even think that we as White Sox fans have a tendency to undervalue him as a player somewhat. He was a very above-average player throughout his career and IMO is the best 3B ever to put on a White Sox uniform.

HomeFish
02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Having attended at least one game in each of the three postseason series in 2005, I will say that the loudest cheer I have ever heard in US Cellular Field was when Frank Thomas was announced to throw the honorary first pitch at ALDS Game 1. Bigger than the Iguchi HR in game 2. Bigger than the Crede HR in Game 1.

I wasn't at Game 2, so maybe Pods and Konerko outdid it, but I think it still says a lot about how the fans still love Frank, despite all the things he said in the media.

parlaycard
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Even if the White Sox dont win another game for the next 20 years, #13 should be retired.

I wasnt a big Ozzie fan when he was a player. I thought he was a goof, and a slightly above average player.

But Ozzie did something no one before him could do. Something most of you, including myself thought there was a good chance we would never see. A White Sox World Series Championship. He doesnt need to do anything else to be deserving of having his number retired by the White Sox. We are not talking about the Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, Red Sox, Cowboys, Canadiens or Steelers. We are talking about the White Sox. I am not saying Ozzie should be considered for the Hall of Fame.

I can honestly say that in 2005 and since, Ozzie has made many moves which I questioned. But the bottom line is Ozzie knows baseball better than I ever will, and I do not believe the White Sox would have won in 2005 without him as the manager.

And for that reason alone, #13 should never be worn by anyone in the White Sox organization again.

Not to mention, i truly believe he is one of the best managers in baseball and definately the best manager in Chicago.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
How did Ozzie get rookie of the year! :rolling: His stats are ok, but seriously, RoY? It must have been a down year for rookies. I'm young, so Ozzie isn't really in my age of baseball, what made him special when he was a player?

He's a great manager in my opinion, I hate the haters who complain about the way he speaks.

sox1970
03-01-2009, 07:14 PM
How did Ozzie get rookie of the year! :rolling: His stats are ok, but seriously, RoY? It must have been a down year for rookies. I'm young, so Ozzie isn't really in my age of baseball, what made him special when he was a player?

He's a great manager in my opinion, I hate the haters who complain about the way he speaks.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1985.shtml#ALroy

Yes, it was a down year.

RF/DH#3
03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
What, no mention of retiring #20 for Jerry Dybzinski? We should be looking into this.

Karkovice is #20!! and TCQ...

cub killer
03-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Even if the White Sox dont win another game for the next 20 years, #13 should be retired.

I wasnt a big Ozzie fan when he was a player. I thought he was a goof, and a slightly above average player.

But Ozzie did something no one before him could do. Something most of you, including myself thought there was a good chance we would never see. A White Sox World Series Championship. He doesnt need to do anything else to be deserving of having his number retired by the White Sox. We are not talking about the Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, Red Sox, Cowboys, Canadiens or Steelers. We are talking about the White Sox. I am not saying Ozzie should be considered for the Hall of Fame.

I can honestly say that in 2005 and since, Ozzie has made many moves which I questioned. But the bottom line is Ozzie knows baseball better than I ever will, and I do not believe the White Sox would have won in 2005 without him as the manager.

And for that reason alone, #13 should never be worn by anyone in the White Sox organization again.

Not to mention, i truly believe he is one of the best managers in baseball and definately the best manager in Chicago.

Awesome post. You're totally right, and I also have confidence no other White Sock will ever wear lucky #13.

As far of the HOF, I'm also confident that Ozzie will be there after all is said and done. I hope I'm still alive to see that happen.

I feel 2009 will be a good year for Ozzie, one in which his relationship with the media will smooth out. After 2005 and now 2008, Ozzie has proven he can work with less. That's the mark of a good manager.

Ozzie could very well become the Joe Paterno of the White Sox. Imagine how beloved he'll be if he's still there, years from now, managing in a whole new era of baseball. No more tirades, f-bombs and profanities. Just baseball wisdom.

Moses_Scurry
03-19-2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1985.shtml#ALroy

Yes, it was a down year.

How in the heck does a pitcher win 20 games as a rookie and NOT win the rookie of the year??? The voters' minds must have functioned quite differently back then.

What's even more mind-boggling is that Vince Coleman's 110 stolen bases got him 100 PERCENT of the first place votes over a 20 game winner!!

I know that 20 game winners were more common then than now, but it wasn't like they grew on trees! There were none in the A.L. that year and only 3 others in the N.L.

sox1970
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
How in the heck does a pitcher win 20 games as a rookie and NOT win the rookie of the year??? The voters' minds must have functioned quite differently back then.

What's even more mind-boggling is that Vince Coleman's 110 stolen bases got him 100 PERCENT of the first place votes over a 20 game winner!!

I know that 20 game winners were more common then than now, but it wasn't like they grew on trees! There were none in the A.L. that year and only 3 others in the N.L.

The Cardinals won the division. Coleman was hyped up all year.

Jenks4Prez
03-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Amen! I, like you, was not a huge fan of Ozzie's when he was a player, but he brought home the hardware in 2005, and for that reason alone I will never question his abilities as a manager. The White Sox are very lucky to have him, and I hope he manages the Sox for another 20 years.

soxinem1
03-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Did you wear a Daryl Boston jersey when he was here?:smile: