PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the new Cubs billboard?

PatK
02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
The one that says has the Wrigley marquee that reads:

"Wrigley Field- Home of the bluerpint for Heaven's ballpark"

Jeez, as much as I dislike the Cubs, they've won their division the last two years. Why not go off that instead of once again selling the ballpark?

bestkosher
02-10-2009, 06:47 PM
As the old saying goes. Don't mess with success. They have had sell outs for a while now by selling the ballpark. Plus they have had two really playoff runs the past two years. Yeah some will be over it but why remind of that.

Railsplitter
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM

They must be hiding it somewhere in those vines!

russ99
02-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Jeez, as much as I dislike the Cubs, they've won their division the last two years. Why not go off that instead of once again selling the ballpark?

Where's that vomit tag again??

Actually I'm much more annoyed at the giant "reason for dealing with winter" billboard at Armitage and the Kennedy that glared me in the face when exiting the Metra station today.

Sorry, guys but there's tons of Sox fans in the Bucktown/Wicker area. We may be outnumbered by the Chad/Trixie/McMansion set, but we're there... and The Urinal sure ain't our reason.

C-Dawg
02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Why not go off that instead of once again selling the ballpark?

As always, its not about the game, its the "Wrigley Field Experience".

PatK
02-10-2009, 08:17 PM
As always, its not about the game, its the "Wrigley Field Experience".

I know that.

But I know some die-hard Cubs fans (the good knowledgeable type) that are actually livid about this, for the same reason I stated.

They feel it's really diminished the way the team has played the last two seasons.

kittle42
02-10-2009, 08:33 PM
They feel it's really diminished the way the team has played the last two seasons.

Of course it does, but results don't matter to 80% of the denizens of Wrigley Field.

SoxandtheCityTee
02-10-2009, 08:59 PM
But I know some die-hard Cubs fans (the good knowledgeable type) that are actually livid about this, for the same reason I stated.

I know some decent Cub fans that feel that way too. They're stuck with it.

Imagine having to be loyal to that team and put up with the deeply cynical way it's marketed. Poor souls.

C-Dawg
02-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Reminds me of the radio ads they were running 4-5 years ago; they were clearly marketing the Field ("I was there for Ernie's 500th, and for Ryno's big game. I was there when Sammy did the hop, and when Greg came home... I am Wrigley Field; you should see what I have seen...").

kittle42
02-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Reminds me of the radio ads they were running 4-5 years ago; they were clearly marketing the Field ("I was there for Ernie's 500th, and for Ryno's big game. I was there when Sammy did the hop, and when Greg came home... I am Wrigley Field; you should see what I have seen...").

"I was there when fans shouted racist taunts at Jacque Jones. I was there when frat boys and trixies threw up on each other. I was there when people hurled death threats at Steve Bartman...."

SoxandtheCityTee
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
"I was there when fans shouted racist taunts at Jacque Jones. I was there when frat boys and trixies threw up on each other. I was there when people hurled death threats at Steve Bartman...."

Exactly.

rdivaldi
02-10-2009, 09:12 PM

"I was there when concrete came raining down on people's heads. I was there when fans ran onto the field and attacked Bob Howry and Randy Myers. I was there when fans got into a fight with the Dodger bench. I was there when a man was shot and killed outside the stadium...."

Medford Bobby
02-10-2009, 09:14 PM

or they could go "We won the division the last two years but sucked eggs for the playoffs":o:

DumpJerry
02-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Ahhh.....the first sign of Spring.

A new Flubsessed thread!

kittle42
02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Ahhh.....the first sign of Spring.

A new Flubsessed thread!

Eh, this one seems justified. ****ing stupid ballpark.

OldRomanPizza
02-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Not only is this typical Cubbie stupidity but incorrect too!

Everyone knows that Heaven's ballpark is Ray Kinsella's cornfield paradise in Iowa.

Time to get Terrance Mann on their asses! :redneck

Nellie_Fox
02-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Not only is this typical Cubbie stupidity but incorrect too!

Everyone knows that Heaven's ballpark is Ray Kinsella's cornfield paradise in Iowa.

Time to get Terrance Mann on their asses! :redneck"Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa."

Wrigley was built on the cheap at its inception. It was considered a dump in the fifties. What has happened since then to change either of these facts other than the passage of time? It became a shrine simply by being old.

bridgeportcopper
02-11-2009, 02:09 AM
There's one deep south on I-57 at like 103rd St. that has the stupid Wrigley Field marquee and says something like "Wrigley Field Home of ...Working from home".
:scratch:
Keep your crap north of Madison Street, please!

white sox bill
02-11-2009, 06:10 AM

All of a sudden, a fiery place with a horned man with forked feet and a pitchfork standing over millions of shoveling people is sounding pretty good.

SOXPHILE
02-11-2009, 08:51 AM
If I owned a giant piece of **** on a stick, and could somehow find a way to market and sell it to millions of brain dead idiots and tourists as "historic" "beautiful" & "pure" , I would do it. Which is exactly what Cubs ownership is doing.

I was there in April of 2006 when, from 8 miles away, I witnessed the unveiling of the World Champion banners, and the handing out of the World Series rings..I am Wrigley Field

I was there on July 1, 2006, when A.J. hit a three run homerun for the defending World Series champs, stunning into stupified silence, everyone wearing a blue hat, and causing thousands of passionate assclowns in the bleachers to throw garbage onto my historic field.. I am Wrigley Field

I was there on that pleasant first evening of October, 2008, when Loney's granny off of Dump put the boys from Tinsletown up for good, never to trail again in the entire series, and wiped the arrogant self assured smirks off the faces of all 39K+ in attendance. I am Wrigley Field....-

ChiSoxFan81
02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey, former Cubbie players need a place to play when they die. After all, all dogs go to heaven.

SaltyPretzel
02-11-2009, 09:46 AM
All of a sudden, a fiery place with a horned man with forked feet and a pitchfork standing over millions of shoveling people is sounding pretty good.

Like this...http://www.joesportsfan.com/jsfpics/columns3/harrycaray3.jpg

areilly
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I was worried for a second at the lack of Cub-related bitterness in recent posts. Good to see things are back to normal.

Iwritecode
02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
"Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa."

Wrigley was built on the cheap at its inception. It was considered a dump in the fifties. What has happened since then to change either of these facts other than the passage of time? It became a shrine simply by being old.

Harry Carey went on WGN and coined the phrase "beautiful Wrigley Field."

The problem is, many believed him.

TommyJohn
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Harry Carey went on WGN and coined the phrase "beautiful Wrigley Field."

The problem is, many believed him.

Whoa, don't give discredit where it isn't due. Jack Brickhouse was saying that while Harry was still at ugly Comiskey Park.

TommyJohn
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I was worried for a second at the lack of Cub-related bitterness in recent posts. Good to see things are back to normal.
You got it, bro!! Cub bitternessssss....YEEESSSS!!!!!!!

Nellie_Fox
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Whoa, don't give discredit where it isn't due. Jack Brickhouse was saying that while Harry was still at ugly Comiskey Park.Way before that, actually. Harry was still in St. Louis when Brickhouse was calling it "beautiful Wrigley Field."

areilly
02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Way before that, actually. Harry was still in St. Louis when Brickhouse was calling it "beautiful Wrigley Field."

Wasn't it actually Veeck who coined the phrase? I remember reading in Veeck as in Wreck how deeply he came to regret marketing the "Wrigley Field experience."

Nellie_Fox
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Wasn't it actually Veeck who coined the phrase? I remember reading in Veeck as in Wreck how deeply he came to regret marketing the "Wrigley Field experience."Very well could have been. I don't know who coined it, just that it was being used at least back in the sixties. Ernie Banks used to say it a lot too. Brickhouse used "friendly confines" more often than "beautiful Wrigley Field."

WhiteSox5187
02-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Very well could have been. I don't know who coined it, just that it was being used at least back in the sixties. Ernie Banks used to say it a lot too. Brickhouse used "friendly confines" more often than "beautiful Wrigley Field."
Technically it was Phillip Wrigley who wanted to make Wrigley "Beautiful Wrigley Field" and Bill Veeck helped him with that by installing ivy, flags, even at one point trees in the bleachers. Veeck later came to regret this as "beautiful Wrigley Field" made Comiskey seem like a dump though Comiskey in its 80 year run was considerably better maintained than Wrigley.

RadioheadRocks
02-12-2009, 08:57 AM

No more calls, we have a winner!

:thumbsup:

Iwritecode
02-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Very well could have been. I don't know who coined it, just that it was being used at least back in the sixties. Ernie Banks used to say it a lot too. Brickhouse used "friendly confines" more often than "beautiful Wrigley Field."

Who was the Cubs announcer when they started broadcasting games nationwide on WGN? Wasn't it Harry?

whitesox901
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Wasn't it actually Veeck who coined the phrase? I remember reading in Veeck as in Wreck how deeply he came to regret marketing the "Wrigley Field experience."

that's what I'm thinking too

whitem0nkey
02-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I did not want to start another cub thread, I just have one question.

a few years ago some advertising agency made some comparison with cub and sox fans. in categories like education, income, and others.

does any one know where I can find that?

ChiSoxFan81
02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
I did not want to start another cub thread, I just have one question.

a few years ago some advertising agency made some comparison with cub and sox fans. in categories like education, income, and others.

does any one know where I can find that?

I think it's in the back of your trailer, underneath your junior high diploma.

Mr.1Dog
02-12-2009, 09:53 AM

Haha! Or it could be underneath the back half of your mullet or stored in your mouth in between your missing teeth.

whitem0nkey
02-12-2009, 10:03 AM

please read the FAQs, so you can understand the trolling policy on this site.

no need to be bringing the board down to your level.

Marqhead
02-12-2009, 10:05 AM

You missed his point. The report you are looking for is most likely going to tell you that you are a redneck, mullet having, poor, uneducated, blue collar worker -- or so the media at large has lead us to believe.

ChiSoxFan81
02-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Please read the dictionary, so you can understand the definition of sarcasm.

whitem0nkey
02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Please read the dictionary, so you can understand the definition of sarcasm.

Teal is your friend when your not very good at sarcasm.

cws05champ
02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I thought the sarcasm was pretty clear.

FWIW, I remember that report and it basically said their was really no difference in economic/social makeup of the fan bases between the teams. It was just an old stereotype that has been perpetuated.

kittle42
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Actually, that should be "teal is your friend when your audience [in this case, whitem0nkey] is not very good at picking up on sarcasm."

In other news, all the there/their and your/you're misuse in this thread is making me dizzy. Time for some coffee.

whitem0nkey
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
You missed his point. The report you are looking for is most likely going to tell you that you are a redneck, mullet having, poor, uneducated, blue collar worker -- or so the media at large has lead us to believe.

Actually the report had some surprising results when compared to the stereotypes. IIRC the avg sox fan based on there report had a higher education level than the avg cub fan. it had some other statistics that were supprising. hopefully some can post it.

I will keep goggling in hopes of finding it, if I do I will post any updates.

TommyJohn
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I am OFFENDED!!!! Don't know why, it just seems the thing to be.

kittle42
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Actually the report had some surprising results when compared to the stereotypes. IIRC the avg sox fan based on there report had a higher education level than the avg cub fan. it had some other statistics that were supprising. hopefully some can post it.

It HAS to be in an old thread on WSI. Try a few searches here. Good luck!

C-Dawg
02-12-2009, 02:04 PM

I'd recommend welding goggles...

hi im skot
02-12-2009, 02:17 PM

:rolling:

Well played.

SoxGirl4Life
02-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Saw two of these today. One on the South Side. And it said:

"What happens in Wrigley, stays in Wrigley"

This one is way too easy...

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2009, 12:12 AM
"What happens in Wrigley, stays in Wrigley""And you'll be able to smell it forever."

Is that what you had in mind?? :redneck

SOX ADDICT '73
02-14-2009, 09:18 AM
If Heaven smells that much like urine, I may seriously need to reconsider my religious affiliation...

DumpJerry
02-14-2009, 11:27 AM
....until the prosecution opens their case in-chief.

cws05champ
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Let's hope the losing stays within Wrigley...as it always has.

I hope they get sued by the Las Vegas Ad council. :smile:

SoxGirl4Life
02-14-2009, 07:32 PM
"And you'll be able to smell it forever."

Is that what you had in mind?? :redneck

oh, there are so many snarky ones to choose from.

But my first thought was losing baseball happens in Wrigley, so yeah, please let it stay there.

cub killer
02-28-2009, 08:06 PM
That stupid billboard makes no sense. What if those blueprints were right here in this drawer under my keyboard, in this desk? Does that make my house worth paying $30 to get into? ***!

And what happens in Wrigley stays in Wrigley? 1. They blatantly stole another slogan. 2. That slogan doesn't apply to a baseball game, unless you're planning on getting drunk and cheating on your spouse at that game. Which is the mentality of flub fans, so I guess it fits them. And that's pathetic, that's not what baseball is about.

Props to all who mentioned the many messed-up things that have happened at the Urinal, which far outweigh any cub-winning.

I have seen the flubs lose 5 straight home games to get eliminated from the 2004 playoffs... I am Wrigley Field

I have seen Shammy use a corked bat while he was already roided up... I am Wrigley Field

I have seen every member of the cub infield make an error in a playoff game... I am Wrigley Field

I can see a sign that says the flubs haven't won it all in 100 years... I am Wrigley Field

I have seen drunken slobs ogle girls who would never give them the time of day... I am Wrigley Field

I have seen the flubs cap off a 14 game losing streak to start the season,,, I am Wrigley Field

I have seen clueless celebrities who don't know a thing about baseball, lead a baseball tradition that was started at Comiskey Park... I am Wrigley Field.

I have seen the flubs blow a NL pennant that they were 5 outs away from, up 3 runs with their ace on the mound... I am Wrigley Field

Frontman
03-01-2009, 12:07 AM

At the first signs of spring, soon after the migration of Cubs-related posts appear on the horizon, comes the herd to complain about the Cubs-related posts.

Yep, all of its back to normal. :rolleyes:

Soon, the chants of Ozzie hates blonde white outfielders will be heard, and Kenny Williams will need to be fired mantra will arrive soon after.

Then, the ever-present "Hey, when dey gonna trade Konerko for Choam Figgins, huh? Dey been sayin dey wanted do dat for four friggin' years alreadyz!" phone call will come in to the Ranger; followed by the "Bobby ain't trowin' da heat like he did in 2005."

VenturaFan23
03-01-2009, 08:26 AM

Isn't that the Tribune's slogan?

Frontman
03-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Isn't that the Tribune's slogan?

Actually, when you think about it; the Tribune is the exact opposite of that.

It should be "We believe its your National Duty as a God-fearing American to know everything, everyone, and every aspect of Wrigley Field. Otherwise, you stink!"

Region Rat
03-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Sooo Heaven is cramped and stinks like piss???? :scratch:
I'm skipping mass this weekend.

Red Barchetta
03-01-2009, 01:24 PM

So when you die and go to heaven, you play baseball in a ballpark where you can never win a championship. Sounds like the other place....:D:

DumpJerry
03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
To answer the original query:
:whocares