PDA

View Full Version : What concerns you most going into spring training?

JermaineDye05
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
First I want to say that this is NOT meant to bring the team down or to try and assume the outcome for the 2009 season. I'm just saying in terms of question marks for the team, and we know there are quite a few, which ones are the biggest?

Who's going to play second base?
Has Josh Fields defense improved? and/or can he produce like he did in 07?
Can TCQ still hit after the wrist injury?
Who's going to play centerfield?
Who's going to lead off?
Is Colon healthy?
Who's the 5th starter?

Iron Dragon2
02-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Where's all of the above?

Daver
02-09-2009, 07:02 PM
It's a three way tie between mediocre infield defense, mediocre to bad outfield defense, and lack of depth in the starting rotatation.

Metalthrasher442
02-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Pitching and lead off hitter.

A TIE

Craig Grebeck
02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Pitching and lead off hitter.

A TIE
Defense wins in a landslide over lead-off hitter. Pitching is a close second.

sox1970
02-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I want to see a real good spring training by Jerry Owens. That would answer the CF/leadoff hitter question. I just don't want them to be sitting there on April 1st, and not know what they're going to do at the top of the lineup when the season starts.

I'm not as worried about the starting pitching and Josh Fields. I think those questions won't be answered until the season actually gets going.

JB98
02-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Starting pitching is my biggest concern. Nothing else is even close.

Madscout
02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Defense, defense, defense. We have a bad 3b, an unproven 2b, and our best CF is not going to be starting. I worry how this will hurt our good pitchers, who generally rely on the defense behind them to take care of business. I worry how this will hurt our young pitchers that may have a shot this year. I worry about it getting into the head of our bullpen, that they can't just go out there and let'er rip. I think if our pitching staff can't trust the guys behind them, it wouldn't matter if we had Kofax, Maddux, Clemens, and name your last two in their prime.

Metalthrasher442
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Defense wins in a landslide over lead-off hitter. Pitching is a close second.

Yeah you're right.. change lead off hitter and pitching to centerfielder and pitching.

A TIE

johnnyg83
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Starting pitching is my biggest concern. Nothing else is even close.

seconded

Bucky F. Dent
02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Yep. Starting Pitching.
Danks & Floyd are still young. Colon is fat. And #5 is a complete unknown.

WhiteSox5187
02-09-2009, 09:24 PM
For me it goes pitching, defense and then leadoff ability.

Boondock Saint
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Defense is a big concern.

The thought of Owens and/or Wise playing every day is a big concern.

The army of question marks for the #4 and 5 spots in the rotation is a big concern.

Take your pick of the above.

kittle42
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Starting pitching. No need to worry about defense when the ball's flying over the fence.

guillensdisciple
02-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I put Colon as the fourth. If he does well, the White Sox go a long way this year, if he doesn't, the White Sox are screwed.

So, here is to Colon's resurgence with the good guys.

tstrike2000
02-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I put Colon as the fourth. If he does well, the White Sox go a long way this year, if he doesn't, the White Sox are screwed.

So, here is to Colon's resurgence with the good guys.

It would be absolutely wonderful if the team's outcome hinged only on that.

FedEx227
02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
The rotation definitely.

I feel fine about Danks and Buehrle.

I'm unsure about Colon's health.

I'm unsure how Marquez will do after a pretty medicore run in the Yankees farm system.

And I'm really worried about Gavin Floyd not living up to the year he had last year. All the metrics point to him having a pretty down year, so we'll see... I really hope the stats are wrong, but they tell a very compelling story of what we can expect from Gavin next year.

No, he won't suck, but is 12-12 with a 4.35 ERA going to be enough?

EnglishChiSox
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Centre field and leadoff, mainly as it's a position most of division opponents have settled and know who their opening day CF and leadoff man will be (Barring any injuries)

ChiSoxFan81
02-10-2009, 08:41 AM
After the 5th starter revolving door in 2004, I gotta go with that. That was brutal, and I hope we don't have to endure that again.

Nelfox02
02-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Amen to that, each guy that came out in the 5th role, it just seemed to get worse and worse.....totally killed any momentum the team would build up. You would just pencil the "5th starter" game as a loss before the first pitch, demoralizing to me as a fan, I can only imagine how it affected the clubhouse

I just have virtually no optimism for the Bartolo Colon resurgence....I just dont see it happening.

With all the stuff going on in the rotation/bullpen, CF, 2nd, and potentially even 3rd......will make for an interesting spring at least

GO SOX

2009 AL Central Champs????? :D:

voodoochile
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm not a worrier. I figure things will go as they are going to go, so I'm not that concerned about any of this stuff. However, we are going to kill AJ unless we get a backup catcher unless I missed something...

chisoxfanatic
02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm worried about who will play CF. If KW doesn't make any moves before the season begins to get someone, I hope the Opening Day starter is BA. He's clearly our best option.

JermaineDye05
02-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm not a worrier. I figure things will go as they are going to go, so I'm not that concerned about any of this stuff. However, we are going to kill AJ unless we get a backup catcher unless I missed something...

Is Michael Barrett available to backup? :D: