PDA

View Full Version : Marlon Byrd?

tm1119
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah I know, yet another player ? thread but this 1 at least makes sense. With the recent signing of Andruw Jones the Rangers now have 6 OF's on their roster. Byrd makes a lot of sense as the 1 to be traded because of his low salary and the simple fact that he isnt going to be in the Rangers long term plans. Now hes not exactly a great player, but his D is better than Owens and his O is better than BA's. He wouldnt solve the leadoff problem either but hes better than what we have now and mostly likely wouldnt be too hard to get.

spawn
02-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm just trying to figure out how trading someone with a low salary makes sense, especially seeing as you don't know what Andruw Jones is going to give you.

kittle42
02-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm just trying to figure out how trading someone with a low salary makes sense, especially seeing as you don't know what Andruw Jones is going to give you.

It makes a lot of sense...for the other team receiving the low salary player!

UofCSoxFan
02-09-2009, 11:07 AM

TCQ has a low salary. Jermaine Dye has a high salary. Obviously the Sox are looking to trade TCQ.:rolleyes:

Sargeant79
02-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah I know, yet another player ? thread but this 1 at least makes sense. With the recent signing of Andruw Jones the Rangers now have 6 OF's on their roster. Byrd makes a lot of sense as the 1 to be traded because of his low salary and the simple fact that he isnt going to be in the Rangers long term plans. Now hes not exactly a great player, but his D is better than Owens and his O is better than BA's. He wouldnt solve the leadoff problem either but hes better than what we have now and mostly likely wouldnt be too hard to get.

There's actually a post on mlbtraderumors that mentions that it could "make sense" for the White Sox, but doesn't mention that there is any type of discussions going on.

Just playing devil's advocate...

Byrd might not be too bad of an acquisition. I'm not sure he's a 550-600 AB guy, but if you want to platoon him with either BA or Owens with Byrd getting about 2/3 of the ABs, it could work out. I don't know much about his defense, but he doesn't seem to be a liability on the bases. And his OBP was actually pretty good the last couple years, so maybe he could actually hit leadoff when he's in the linehup.

Marqhead
02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I like this idea. I'm hoping our CF platoon reaches 6-7 players by the beginning of the season.

white sox bill
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
With a name as his, how can you go wrong??:smile: Is his brother named Robin?

soltrain21
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Somebody read mlbtraderumors today.

tm1119
02-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Because no one in this market is going to trade for a high priced OF when guys like Abreu and Dunn are still out there. He would be the easiest to trade and get fair value in return for him was my point. And they want Cruz's bat in the lineup leaving no spot for Byrd when they already have Hamilton, Murphy, Catalanotto, Boggs, Golson and now Jones in their OF.

esbrechtel
02-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I like this idea. I'm hoping our CF platoon reaches 6-7 players by the beginning of the season.

I love the shotgun approach...

tm1119
02-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Do you honestly think that Byrd is at the same level as BA, Owens, or Wise are?

Zisk77
02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Do you honestly think that Byrd is at the same level as BA, Owens, or Wise are?

Nope and he is a roider.

tm1119
02-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Nope and he is a roider.

Where exactly did you hear this? Because google produces nothing about Marlon Byrd ever being linked to steroids. The guy has a career high of 10 hrs and thats including multiple seasons playing in Texas.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-10-2009, 01:47 AM

We'll platoon 6 guys in CF and 6 more at 2B. Four-man rotation and a 8-man pitching staff will suffice. Plus AJ will have to catch every inning of every game. None of our regulars can get injured coughCarloscough.

Zisk77
02-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Where exactly did you hear this? Because google produces nothing about Marlon Byrd ever being linked to steroids. The guy has a career high of 10 hrs and thats including multiple seasons playing in Texas.

a friend played with him in the phillies chain. Byrd was pretty open about it stating he wasn't good enough to play in the bigs without it.

my friend is also friends with Nick Punto from the philly chain :puking: