PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about Ray Durham

kba
02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Ray tells ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3890760) that he's received no offers on the free agent market and is ready to retire. At the end of the article, he says Frank Thomas called him to commiserate about the job market.

Also, this is the first report I've seen that the players' association may set up a spring training camp this year for unsigned free agents.

DSpivack
02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Don't see why some team doesn't try and pick him up, unless he's asking for too much. He had a pretty good season last year.

oeo
02-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Don't see why some team doesn't try and pick him up, unless he's asking for too much. He had a pretty good season last year.

There's a couple 2B ahead of him still, and no one can seriously be asking for a big contract at this point.

I just hope all these guys are still around if our 2B plan bombs.

whitesox901
02-07-2009, 01:42 PM
can he lead-off?

SOXfnNlansing
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I'll never forget that amazing catch Ray made on the 'innagural opening night' :scratch: in 2000 against the Angels. If he hung up the cleats now I'd say he had a very good career in the bigs.

soxinem1
02-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Though I always thought he could and should have been better, in his prime he was pretty consistent and is one of the best 2B our farm system ever produced.

Have to wonder why ARI took Lopez over Durham if he could have been signed for a similar contract.

But even now with Adam Kennedy on the FA market with him, there are many teams who could use him at 2B, at least as a semi-regular.

Maybe STL might be interested now.

chisox616
02-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Well, apparently the Nationals aren't offering enough for him, heh...turned down 850k + incentives from them. Still, love the guy, if he retires it's been a hell of a ride.

LoveYourSuit
02-10-2009, 09:52 AM
He posted a .380+ OBP% last year and a .815 OPS.

He doesn't run that much anymore, but those numbers are head and shoulders above anything we will put at the lead off spot this year and for a 2B.

Why not take a 1 yr flyer on him?

RockyMtnSoxFan
02-10-2009, 10:30 AM

He doesn't run that much anymore, but those numbers are head and shoulders above anything we will put at the lead off spot this year and for a 2B.

Bring back Durham and the Big Hurt!

Seriously, why not? I'll bet they're both cheap at this point. They would probably contribute both on the field and at the ticket window.

Chrisaway
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
can he lead-off?

Yes, and probably better than anyone we got. That being said, there's little chance we sign him.

turners56
02-10-2009, 03:02 PM

To add on to that, we have a bunch of experiments at 2B right now. I think Getz will be a good player, but nothing is for certain. I sure as hell don't trust Nix or Lillbridge. So yeah, why not?

SoxfaninLA
02-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Though I always thought he could and should have been better, in his prime he was pretty consistent and is one of the best 2B our farm system ever produced.

Agreed. Durham always drove me crazy when the Sox had him, he was a good player but always seemed like he should have been better than he was. Durham had a pretty decent year at the plate in 08, but in 07 he was downright brutal. He is 37 going on 38, is poor in the field, and doesn't run well at all. He would be an upgrade for the Sox at the plate but on the field and in the basepaths he would be a negative.

02-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Durham is Konerko slow now. Used to love him but no thanks.