PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Economics 2009

Fenway
02-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Had lunch with a friend who works for the Red Sox today and he was telling me the game is getting hammered by the recession.

For example the Red Sox are trying to hold on to long time corporate sponsors like Bank of America and John Hancock but the ad dollars just are not there. He told me the only team that hasn't been hurt is Philadelphia because of the bandwagon of winning.

The Red Sox sellout streak looks like it will end on April 8th and last year playoff tickets were going for face value or less.

The Yankees he told me are really having problems moving the scout seats at $2500 a game (gee wot a shock) as Wall St money has vanished. The Mets are worried that the Citibank deal maybe skuttled which at 40M a year was paying half the debt of the new park.

There are a lot of big name free agents out there who right now are out of work. The players association will scream collusion but I think things maybe worse than we know.

For example Boston owner John Henry has seen his personal wealth drop 60 percent since July and any owner involved in banking or real estate is getting hammered.

Time will tell.

Scottiehaswheels
02-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Contraction time?

DSpivack
02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Contraction time?

The economy would really have to be bad [much, much worse than it already is] for that to happen.

Fenway
02-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Contraction time?

Not likely an option now. With most teams having new ballparks I can only see 2 possible candidates for contraction (Oakland and Tampa Bay). The A's stadium has stalled and Tampa Bay even with a pennant winner is still stuck with The Trop.

Trav
02-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Ah contraction... much like the recession it is the cure. I cannot wait until teams are dissolved and the talent pool is not stretched a thin as a drum.

DSpivack
02-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Ah contraction... much like the recession it is the cure. I cannot wait until teams are dissolved and the talent pool is not stretched a thin as a drum.

You'll be waiting awhile. :tongue:

captainclutch24
02-07-2009, 03:46 AM
My dad and I were having a talk similar to this earlier this week. We both agree that attendance will drop off this year due to the poor economy. My hometown Padres will be lucky to sell out 10 games this season, hell I think 5 will be a miracle. The Padres rarely have a 75 percent full stadium, and with the team that is gonna really suck they will be lucky to draw over 2 million. For a family of 4 to get crappy, view obstructed seats at Petco it costs nearly $70.00 before you buy anything.

I do not think we will be setting a new attendance record this year in MLB.

Fenway
02-07-2009, 03:59 AM
My dad and I were having a talk similar to this earlier this week. We both agree that attendance will drop off this year due to the poor economy. My hometown Padres will be lucky to sell out 10 games this season, hell I think 5 will be a miracle. The Padres rarely have a 75 percent full stadium, and with the team that is gonna really suck they will be lucky to draw over 2 million. For a family of 4 to get crappy, view obstructed seats at Petco it costs nearly $70.00 before you buy anything.

I do not think we will be setting a new attendance record this year in MLB.

The 2008 mark may well be safe for awhile if for no other reason the 2 new parks in New York have less seats. (especially Citi Field)

I thibk you will a lot of ticket deals reappearing in some markets like Family Day.

Still I don't think attendance is scaring the teams, it is the loss of sponsors.

cards press box
02-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Had lunch with a friend who works for the Red Sox today and he was telling me the game is getting hammered by the recession.

For example the Red Sox are trying to hold on to long time corporate sponsors like Bank of America and John Hancock but the ad dollars just are not there. He told me the only team that hasn't been hurt is Philadelphia because of the bandwagon of winning.

The Red Sox sellout streak looks like it will end on April 8th and last year playoff tickets were going for face value or less.

The Yankees he told me are really having problems moving the scout seats at $2500 a game (gee wot a shock) as Wall St money has vanished. The Mets are worried that the Citibank deal maybe skuttled which at 40M a year was paying half the debt of the new park.

There are a lot of big name free agents out there who right now are out of work. The players association will scream collusion but I think things maybe worse than we know.

For example Boston owner John Henry has seen his personal wealth drop 60 percent since July and any owner involved in banking or real estate is getting hammered.

Time will tell.

I wondered whether the recession would start to hammer some of baseball's behemoth's like the Yankees. Here's a question -- if baseball's offseason were starting now, would the Yanks go on the same spending spree and sign Sabathia, Teixeria and Burnett to contracts worth almost $500 million dollars? I wonder.

roylestillman
02-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Let's see with the $40 million Citi saves from the Mets deal they could either buy 10,000,000 shares of their own stock or go ahead and buy that new corporate jet.

Won't be long before Bud starts talking about contraction again.

DSpivack
02-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Let's see with the $40 million Citi saves from the Mets deal they could either buy 10,000,000 shares of their own stock or go ahead and buy that new corporate jet.

Won't be long before Bud starts talking about contraction again.

Not just $40 million, but $40 mil per year. $400 million overall, no?

And contraction is still an extreme measure.

wsoxfan
02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
20 million per year for 20 years, 400 total, is the deal Citi made with the Mets...

DSpivack
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
20 million per year for 20 years, 400 total, is the deal Citi made with the Mets...

Ahh, thanks.

doublem23
02-07-2009, 11:23 AM
And contraction is still an extreme measure.

Seriously. Good luck getting the MLBPA to agree to that.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-07-2009, 11:43 AM
What if a team has terrible attendance combined with several major sponsors pulling out, or greatly reducing their ad revenue? Is it possiible that a team could fail to make payroll this summer? What would happen?

Fenway
02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
What if a team has terrible attendance combined with several major sponsors pulling out, or greatly reducing their ad revenue? Is it possiible that a team could fail to make payroll this summer? What would happen?

MLB would take over the payroll and run the team like they did with Montreal.

You know things are bad when the Bears freeze ticket prices and now will accept credit cards for season tickets.

hawkjt
02-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Bad year for Scott Boras to be out there trying to sell owners that their revenue will bump up 25 million if they sign manny for 25 million ..and he will be a net zero to their bottom lines...yea,right Scotty...BS!!

I think kenny and jerry were smart to pull back a bit..altho it is hard to swallow..in the end,with deflation of players,they could be in position to pick up some good assets for a song. Now, the Cubs..on the other hand....:whiner:

jabrch
02-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Interesting...I was so convinced that only the White Sox were being cautious...