PDA

View Full Version : MLB.com projects White Sox players

tm1119
02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Not sure if anyone else saw this but didnt see a post so I thought I'd share.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/preview/y2009/index.jsp

I really cant argue too much with their projections, although they dont seem all that optimistic about our SP's having anything but above average years.

KRS1
02-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Huh? You mean MLB fantasy rankings?

tm1119
02-06-2009, 06:10 PM
My bad tried to link directly to the white sox page but didnt work out too well. Just click on the "Team" option and it will take you to the projection of the top 23 white sox players.

KRS1
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Oh, I was more thrown off by the fact that it was mlb.com and not ESPN. I thought you pasted in the wrong link.

Sockinchisox
02-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Man would it be great for Paulie to post those numbers.

tm1119
02-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Ha. Wow. My bad, it was a rough night last night. Ill change the title.

turners56
02-06-2009, 06:34 PM
They give the Sox players some nice projections in there...

I will be happy with most of those outputs this year. From the stats, the team looks like it will win 85 games.

Brian26
02-06-2009, 10:36 PM
These rankings lose all credibility when Jacoby Ellsbury is ranked ahead of Joe Mauer.

DSpivack
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
These rankings lose all credibility when Jacoby Ellsbury is ranked ahead of Joe Mauer.

Fantasy-wise, why not? Ellsbury will probably get tons of hits and steals, while Mauer won't start every day, doesn't get a lot of homers, and doesn't drive in that many runs.

asindc
02-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Fantasy-wise, why not? Ellsbury will probably get tons of hits and steals, while Mauer won't start every day, doesn't get a lot of homers, and doesn't drive in that many runs.

Exactly. Fantasy rankings are not to be confused with actual player values. Fantasy-wise, Ellsbury>>Mauer, actual baseball value, Mauer>>Ellsbury.

eriqjaffe
02-06-2009, 11:14 PM
They project BA getting 315 at-bats? :scratch:

everafan
02-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Actually, if the offense performs as projected, I tink the starters will have more wins then they projected. They have Danks at 3.45 ERA and a low WHIP, but only 13 wins. Jenks will have more than 32 saves with the numbers they project also.

thedudeabides
02-06-2009, 11:55 PM

Agreed. Ellsbury has a lot of potential, but he has a ways to go to fill it. He's not exactly an offensive player right now, outside of stolen bases.

chisoxfanatic
02-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Agreed. Ellsbury has a lot of potential, but he has a ways to go to fill it. He's not exactly an offensive player right now, outside of stolen bases.
In fantasy baseball, at least the leagues I've been involved with, stolen bases was one of the "golden" categories. It's harder to get someone who could consistently produce for you in golden categories such as this one (as well as shut-outs from a pitching standpoint). It's much easier to get someone who will get you a good batting average, hit home runs, get RBIs, and get strikeouts (more "common" categories, that is) than a category such as stolen bases. That's why, if you can get someone to help you out in those special categories, he becomes very valuable in earning you fantasy points.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Ummm... Carlos Quentin.... 50 HRs and 163 RBIs??? :o:

Nellie_Fox
02-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Ummm... Carlos Quentin.... 50 HRs and 163 RBIs??? :o:Those are his career totals to date. Nothing shocking there.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Those are his career totals to date. Nothing shocking there.

Ohhhh! Thought that was on the "projected" line. I was gona say...

Nellie_Fox
02-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Ohhhh! Thought that was on the "projected" line. I was gona say...I think his projected numbers are on the conservative side; I expect more than that from him.

doublem23
02-07-2009, 08:01 AM
.274/.347/.392 in 485 AB for Chris Getz?

That would be fantastic.

Brian26
02-07-2009, 08:07 AM

Catching is the most difficult position to fill on a fantasy team simply because of the lack of quality in MLB right now. With Mauer, you're filling that position w/ a career .320 hitter who has won a batting title....probably the best offensive catcher in all of baseball.

I'd go with Mauer over and Ellsbury and try to pick up the stolen bases with another player or two. Of course, I've never finished higher than third in my fantasy league, fwiw. :redneck

Sargeant79
02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I'd be curious to know how they arrive at these projections, particularly with the number of ABs these guys are going to get. They don't seem to think very highly of Josh Fields, but if the middle of our order hits like MLB thinks they will, that's going to be a monster offense.

Metalthrasher442
02-07-2009, 12:11 PM
.274/.347/.392 in 485 AB for Chris Getz?

That would be fantastic.

Yeah that's what I was gunna post here last night but I got too tired.

That would be grand.. and set him up for a great future potentially!

Oh I was also gunna say they have Fields hitting like a four year old girl who's blind in one eye.

forrestg
02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I'd be curious to know how they arrive at these projections, particularly with the number of ABs these guys are going to get. They don't seem to think very highly of Josh Fields, but if the middle of our order hits like MLB thinks they will, that's going to be a monster offense. Fields hit only .095 against righties while batting .273 against lefties while Betemit seem to have a little less of a problem hitting .233 against lefties and .274 against righties. Betemit is listed as a first baseman so for him to replace Paulie who hits righties and lefties about the same. That is figuring that Betemit and Fields can play 3rd equally as bad or well. Not enough info surrounding Viciedo as to how well he hits lefties and righties or how well he fields or if he is ready to play this year in the bigs. The article gave Josh a little edge but much. I believe there will be a platoon at third.

oeo
02-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Fields hit only .095 against righties while batting .273 against lefties while Betemit seem to have a little less of a problem hitting .233 against lefties and .274 against righties. Betemit is listed as a first baseman so for him to replace Paulie who hits righties and lefties about the same. That is figuring that Betemit and Fields can play 3rd equally as bad or well. Not enough info surrounding Viciedo as to how well he hits lefties and righties or how well he fields or if he is ready to play this year in the bigs. The article gave Josh a little edge but much. I believe there will be a platoon at third.

Fields does mash lefties (.321/.371/.698 in 2007), but you're not seriously using his 2008 as an argument, are you? 3/11 against lefties and 2/21 against righties...that tells you absolutely nothing.

I think Fields gets every shot at the starting, everyday job out of Spring Training. Maybe it ends up being a platoon situation if he's that bad, but as of now, Betemit will be a super sub.

turners56
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Exactly. Fantasy rankings are not to be confused with actual player values. Fantasy-wise, Ellsbury>>Mauer, actual baseball value, Mauer>>Ellsbury.

Mauer is still a lot more valuable fantasy-wise. Ellsbury would be good in a roto league and he'd only be good for his steals. Plus, he plays the outfield. The catcher position is much more valuable than any outfield position. Mauer doesn't give you much power, but he will give you a better batting average and more RBIs. He'd be more valuable than Ellsbury in both roto and H2H if you ask me.

turners56
02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
In fantasy baseball, at least the leagues I've been involved with, stolen bases was one of the "golden" categories. It's harder to get someone who could consistently produce for you in golden categories such as this one (as well as shut-outs from a pitching standpoint). It's much easier to get someone who will get you a good batting average, hit home runs, get RBIs, and get strikeouts (more "common" categories, that is) than a category such as stolen bases. That's why, if you can get someone to help you out in those special categories, he becomes very valuable in earning you fantasy points.

Yeah, so Willy Taveras was about as valuable as Ellsbury last year...

BleacherBandit
02-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Viciedo: .262/.303/.451

Sorry, I don't know how these projections work. Is this a projection if he were to play the whole season?

EDIT: Sorry, found out it was on a projection of 206 AB.

oeo
02-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Viciedo: .262/.303/.451

Sorry, I don't know how these projections work. Is this a projection if he were to play the whole season?

EDIT: Sorry, found out it was on a projection of 206 AB.

Regardless, all this is is a complete guess. Fields, as well. It looks like they just copied and pasted his 2007 numbers, and made some minor changes...then don't even mention that he spent most of 2008 injured.