PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thought

SALUKIS15
02-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I was just thinking today that our rotation may not be in that bad of shape this year. Our big three are without a doubt MB, Danks, and Floyd. These three should give us a good chance to win every time they step on the mound (provided they get some run support). Add to that Bartolo Colon (who while he is not the same pitcher he once was, still may be an upgrade as a 4 or 5 pitcher) and a decent 5th starter and you have a pretty darn good rotation. Granted this is only a third of the game, but it is a good foundation.

doublem23
02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I like your optimism, but here are my counterpoints... Mark Buehrle is as close to a sure thing as there is in baseball, IMO, he's had some up and down games, but his pitching style breeds reliability. I have no worries about him, but he's also not a classic #1-type ace. Danks and Floyd should be fine, but they threw a lot of innings last year. I'm more concerned with Floyd, but I expect them to still be reliable.

If Bartolo Colon makes more than 15 starts this year, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, but I don't think he's good for more than 1/2 the year.

As for the fifth spot, we've talked about this a lot and I'm not sold on any of the guys.

LITTLE NELL
02-06-2009, 04:53 PM
I would feel better if we had signed Garland for the 4th starter and Colon would be in a battle for the 5 spot with Richard, Broadway et al.

chisoxfanatic
02-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I'll tell you, I'll be much more at ease when Jose Contreras is back and in healthy form. You never want to rush a player; but, just having him back and putting him in our rotation will be a boost. Apparently, he might be back after the all star break, missing a bit over a half of the season. I could take that.

At this time, I wouldn't mind seeing Richard take the #5 spot; however, we'll see who wins the #5 spot out of spring training.

oeo
02-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I like your optimism, but here are my counterpoints... Mark Buehrle is as close to a sure thing as there is in baseball, IMO, he's had some up and down games, but his pitching style breeds reliability. I have no worries about him, but he's also not a classic #1-type ace. Danks and Floyd should be fine, but they threw a lot of innings last year. I'm more concerned with Floyd, but I expect them to still be reliable.

If Bartolo Colon makes more than 15 starts this year, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, but I don't think he's good for more than 1/2 the year.

As for the fifth spot, we've talked about this a lot and I'm not sold on any of the guys.

And yet by this time next year, we'll be talking about our '#1 ace' John Danks.

doublem23
02-07-2009, 06:24 AM
And yet by this time next year, we'll be talking about our '#1 ace' John Danks.

That would be fine with me.

BTW, I don't think you need to have a classic "stopper", ace kind of pitcher if you have several guys who are excellent #2's. If Danks and Floyd repeat their performances from last year again, then the Sox have 3 of them, so IMO, there's no need to go out and lavishly spend for that top of the rotation guy because they also generally carry a major injury risk.

As far as our pitching goes, I'm not worried about Buehrle, I only have small concerns about Danks, and just a tiny bit more concerned about Floyd, too.

soxrme
02-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Is that you Kenny?

Metalthrasher442
02-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I mean you're pretty much going to get the same opinions on our 1, 2 ,3 guys from everyone. No one has ever worried about Buehrle, I'm not worried about Danks and his 200 IP because his work out ethic in the off season is great (I remember an article about it last off season.), and the only one to really worry about if you have to worry about some one is Gavin Floyd just because his first 200 IP and he didn't pitch too well on short rest against the Rays.

Now as far as our fourth and fifth starters go, I think eventually both of them are going to have to be minor league pitchers because I'm pretty damn well sure Colon is either going to have a bad year or he will only be able to start ten times. Now I remain optimistic about Broadway, Poreda, and Marquez only because I have not seen two of them pitch and I don't want to be negative about them right off the bat. Now Broadway I saw once in that game where he dominated, and he has had a lot of time to work on himself since then, so that's why I remain optimistic about him. Clayton Richard on the other hand I was not impressed with, and remain pessimistic about.

All in all you have to remain optimistic because just imagine if both our forth and fifth starter are minor leaguers and they end up being just as good as Danks and Floyd were. We would have an insanely good and insanely young pitching rotation. Even if we just good one good performance out of all four guys in the mix. We still would have a great insanely young staff.

whitesox901
02-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I like the optomism, and I agree sevenfold