PDA

View Full Version : Forget 2009 In This Thread, Looking at the 2010 White Sox...

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm not saying "forget 2009" as in we won't win anything. I just wanted to look ahead to the 2010 free agent class and discuss a few things. This actually may correlate to the 2009 season and just may answer why Kenny hasn't spent much this offseason. We know the economic concerns are most likely responsible for the Sox staying out of the market this year, but could it also be that Kenny is potentially testing some of the farm in 2009 and then deciding what he needs to buy in 2010? Here is what I know/think...

The White Sox have at least $51.75M locked up in 2010 salaries. Depending on what guys like Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Jenks, and others get, that number may go up a few million. Let us say it goes up to $55M.
Other possibilities that will be free agents in 2010 (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/2010-mlb-free-a.html): Chone Figgins, Brian Roberts, Mark DeRosa, Matt Holliday, Vladimir Guerrero, Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, Rick Ankiel, Rich Harden, Brett Myers, and John Lackey.
Out of those guys, the Sox may have a need for/interest in the following: Figgins, Roberts, DeRosa, Nady, Guerrero, Ankiel, Harden, and/or Lackey.
One possibility is that the Sox are hoping Adam Dunn does end up signing a one-year deal this offseason. Then next offseason, when he becomes a free agent and Jim Thome is off the payroll, Dunn could be approached and signed to take the DH spot. HUGE assumption, I know, but it makes sense if Dunn were to ink for only one-year this offseason. Guerrero can also be a very solid consideration at DH.
If Getz, Nix, Lillibridge, and whichever other piece doesn't fit at second base in 2009, Figgins, Roberts, and DeRosa will be looked at seriously.
Roberts and Figgins can also be a perfect fit as the White Sox leadoff man.
If Fields, Betemit, and Viciedo don't pan out at third base, it's no secret that Figgins will be priority 1A for the Sox (that maybe the case regardless of what Fields, Betemit, or anyone else does).
Unfortunately there still won't be a solid centerfielder on the market in 2010. So let us hope that BA and/or Owens can put together a solid 2009 campaign and keep us hopeful that they'll get the job done again in 2010.
With Dye being gone after 2009, a guy like Nady or Ankiel maybe looked at for the rightfield job. Bobby Abreu's name might surface up again if he signs a one-year deal this offseason himself. I doubt many, if any, teams will consider Guerrero for an outfield spot at the age of 34.
There might be a few relievers available in 2010 that may interest the Sox and they are Mike Gonzalez (lefty), Fernando Rodney (righty - will more than likely be re-signed), and Rafael Soriano (righty). I'd definitely look at Rodney (if available) or Soriano as a replacement for Dotel since his contract expires after this upcoming season. Matt Thornton will most likely get his $2.25M option picked up for 2010 and having another lefty like Gonzalez in the pen with him would be a huge plus. Other potential free agent relievers in 2010 (that I doubt the Sox will have any interest in): Kevin Gregg, Troy Percival, Jose Valverde, Billy Wagner, and JJ Putz (I don't see the Mets picking up his $8.6M option for 2010).
Last, but not least, the starting rotation. Much like the two infield positions I mentioned earlier, Kenny and the Sox will see how the youngsters do in 2009. If they can't hold a spot in the rotation, it's safe to assume that they will be looking for a starting pitcher (or two) externally in 2010. Lackey and Harden will command a lot of dough and Harden may not be worth it (because of all the injuries). Lackey will be 31 after the 2009 season and will most likely be looking for the final contract of his career (4-6 years). Will the Sox stretch their "no pitcher gets more than 3 years" policy for a solid, reliable veteran like Lackey? I sure hope so.
So if 2009 is the year the Sox find out if their youngsters can hold their own or not, then hopefully 2010 will be the season they go out and fill whatever holes they have remaining. With a payroll under $55M entering the 2010 postseason, they'll have at least $45M to spend. If I had my choices, I'd grab SP Lackey ($16M per?), 2B/3B/CF Figgins ($10M per?), DH Dunn ($13M per? - if he signs a one-year deal this offseason), RP Gonzalez ($3.5M per?), and Soriano ($3M per?). Obviously that's a dream offseason that only Yankees fans can even think about, but with potentially $45M+ in the bank, maybe our team will be a huge force in the 2010 market? That would definitely make this dry offseason worthwhile.

doublem23
02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Figgins can play CF, I'm guessing that if Fields doesn't hold 3B in 2009, 2010 will be the start of the Dayan Vicideo era.

I also can't see Adam Dunn coming to the Sox, we have a couple of intriguing possibilities for 1B/DH with Brandon Allen and Tyler Flowers in the farm system. Also, if Fields can hit, but butchers 3B, he might slide over to 1B (Konerko becomes permament DH) to open up room for Dayan.

You got to remember that a lot of that $45 million is going to be saved to spend on guys like Quentin, Danks, and Floyd who will be due for very big raises pretty soon.

russ99
02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Interesting thread. I think a lot of the direction the Sox go next year will depend on how the kids work out this season.

As for all the Sox top prospects (other than Getz and Richard), they pretty much all played in A ball last year, with a few making a brief jump to AA. I don't think we can expect the majority of them to stick with the big league club and make an impact until 2011. Maybe one or two might impact next year's club, but I'd prefer the Sox keep them on the development path and not rush them. I'd guess Beckham and Poreda would have the best shot.

Sargeant79
02-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Interesting thread. I think a lot of the direction the Sox go next year will depend on how the kids work out this season.

As for all the Sox top prospects (other than Getz and Richard), they pretty much all played in A ball last year, with a few making a brief jump to AA. I don't think we can expect the majority of them to stick with the big league club and make an impact until 2011. Maybe one or two might impact next year's club, but I'd prefer the Sox keep them on the development path and not rush them. I'd guess Beckham and Poreda would have the best shot.

I think Beckham is actually the main reason they haven't gone out and really made it a point to get Brian Roberts or even Orlando Hudson with the market the way it is. I would be pretty surprised if he isn't given first crack at an infield position in 2010...which is great because it gives us another low-cost, already in-house way to fill a spot.

doublem23
02-05-2009, 09:40 AM
I think Beckham is actually the main reason they haven't gone out and really made it a point to get Brian Roberts or even Orlando Hudson with the market the way it is. I would be pretty surprised if he isn't given first crack at an infield position in 2010...which is great because it gives us another low-cost, already in-house way to fill a spot.

I disagree about Hudson, the Sox are either being cheap or know something they're not saying, because every day that passes makes it more likely that these guys will have to swallow their pride and take a 1-year deal. No way is Beckham ready to play at the Major League level in 2009, so Hudson would be an ideal 1-year stopgap, but the Sox apparently have no interest in signing him any more.

:dunno:

esbrechtel
02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I think they are being cheap to be honest. They think in our division there is no sense in spending outragous money if they can go bargain hunting. Between Getz, Lillibridge and Nix someone has to be able to play second....

LoveYourSuit
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
If the Sox are not spending money via FA this year and cutting payroll after a play-off appearance, I highly doubt they will be doing it in 2010 when the economy apears to get even worse. Attendance might be down too here in 2009.

The Sox are going young from here forward IMO.

voodoochile
02-05-2009, 10:35 AM
If the Sox are not spending money via FA this year and cutting payroll after a play-off appearance, I highly doubt they will be doing it in 2010 when the economy apears to get even worse. Attendance might be down too here in 2009.

There's a difference between cutting it to $95M (there current level) and cutting it to $60M (next year's "go young" level). Even if it's a down year the Sox should still net out ~2.5M fans because of the size of the city and the fact they made the playoffs.

I wouldn't be shocked if you believe the Sox will go cheap next year, but you rarely have much positive to say about Sox management. I will be stunned if you are right though. Next year is the year they get to turn over the veteran FA's and open the next window. I assume KW is licking his chops looking at the salaries being offered to big name players and hoping that a few of the young kids work out and give him even more flexibility.

But keep singing your tune, you aren't going to make anyone but you look foolish...

ChiSoxFan81
02-05-2009, 10:41 AM

While the economy may be in the dumps, that may actually help attendance. People who can't afford vacations may choose instead to attend ball games. The carryover from last year's division title and the young talent we have on this team will draw fans. I don't think this will be an issue as far as payroll goes.

LoveYourSuit
02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
There's a difference between cutting it to $95M (there current level) and cutting it to $60M (next year's "go young" level). Even if it's a down year the Sox should still net out ~2.5M fans because of the size of the city and the fact they made the playoffs.

I wouldn't be shocked if you believe the Sox will go cheap next year, but you rarely have much positive to say about Sox management. I will be stunned if you are right though. Next year is the year they get to turn over the veteran FA's and open the next window. I assume KW is licking his chops looking at the salaries being offered to big name players and hoping that a few of the young kids work out and give him even more flexibility.

But keep singing your tune, you aren't going to make anyone but you look foolish...

I'm glad you got that off your chest.... are you done now?

I made a ****ing point about the economy, but disregard it 100%.:rolleyes:

LoveYourSuit
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
While the economy may be in the dumps, that may actually help attendance. People who can't afford vacations may choose instead to attend ball games. The carryover from last year's division title and the young talent we have on this team will draw fans. I don't think this will be an issue as far as payroll goes.

I think the economic issue are more serious than we all thought. I actually tip my hat to Sox management for trying to get ahead of the curve here, and as you can see, it makes sense because no one is picking up any of these FAs.

I was upset earlier in the offseason because of what I saw the Yankees doing. I said to myself, "there is no way the economy is an issue if the Yankees can throw that kind of money around." But now we all see, only the Yankees look foolish after all this.

russ99
02-05-2009, 11:19 AM

If thing don't go well with the kids this year, I can see Kenny spending a little more on the FA market next year to patch holes, very much like he did after 2007.

If we can develop a few solid major leaguers out of the batch of this spring's 3B, 2B and CF candidates, then why spend the cash?? I'm all for a large payroll, since we are a large market team. But spending just to spend is pretty foolhardy.

I also wonder if Dye (if he's not dealt before then) would re-sign with the Sox under a lesser contract if they don't pick up the option after this season. I also think Thome's very likely to hang them up after this season.

doublem23
02-05-2009, 11:21 AM

You didn't really make a point, you just made a predition, but trying to guess what the economy will do is like trying to pick the right number at roulette. Not 1 baseball game has been played since the economy really went into the tanks... Can we at least wait until a few games have been played and we have some empirical data to argue over, rather than taking wild stabs in the dark?

DirtySox
02-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm excited about 2010 as I posted in another thread a week or so ago. Though this article says we only have about 37 million committed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-30-white-sox-chicagojan30,0,7436982.story

I'm praying that either Getz or Lillibridge breaks out as an everyday player, giving us one less spot to worry about in 2010. Not knowing what position Beckham fits into is a problem I don't mind having. It would also be exceptional if Jordan Danks develops into a stud Center Fielder. (though I won't hold my breath, and he likely wouldn't be ready next year anyhow.)

Things would be even better if we had some pitching depth in the minors. After Poreda there isn't much of anything that is close to ready. I have hope for Dexter Carter, but he is a ways away.

NLaloosh
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Here's my gloom and doom prediction: the economy will become so bad in the next couple of years that the Yankees will regret these contracts and they will be in trouble.

russ99
02-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I think they are being cheap to be honest. They think in our division there is no sense in spending outragous money if they can go bargain hunting. Between Getz, Lillibridge and Nix someone has to be able to play second....

Depends on your expected level of "has to". We may end up with Richar-like numbers again. Hopefully not, but there's no guarantee any of the three candidates can hack it in the majors. Getz was here a week and Nix/Lillibridge failed miserably in their first shot at regular MLB playing time.

Same goes for 3B, but there's a bit less uncertainty since Fields and Betemit have some positive MLB-level playing time. Viciedo is a big wild card. He could be a big breakout surprise, or end up in AA.

Ozzie and Kenny are betting that outright competition for a roster spot will make one candidate at each position rise to the top.

I think Hudson wants too much money, and he's not a top-tier leadoff guy, with serious injury concerns. He'd likely do better than Cabrera, but not by much. I'll grudgingly agree with Kenny, he's not worth it.

voodoochile
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm glad you got that off your chest.... are you done now?

What point? The Sox are going young from here forward IMO.

I'm translating that as "no FA money being spent" and "relying exclusively on the kids to develop".

If I'm wrong, please feel free to clarify your point. You are the one who was vague in your statement and left room for misunderstanding. How much do you expect the Sox to spend in 2010 with attendance of say 2.3M this coming season?

I think they'll still be in the $90-95M range which would leave close to $30M to spend on veteran FA talent. Given KW's track record of NOT relying on youth (in fact consistently trading youth for veterans to the point of nearly exhausting the farm system) I don't see him suddenly changing his philosophy, but you seem to think he will.

I think that's due to your feelings about management which you've made abundantly clear on these forums time after time after time.

Again, if I'm wrong, please fill me in, but try to give some specifics that way it doesn't turn into a shouting match...

Sargeant79
02-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I disagree about Hudson, the Sox are either being cheap or know something they're not saying, because every day that passes makes it more likely that these guys will have to swallow their pride and take a 1-year deal. No way is Beckham ready to play at the Major League level in 2009, so Hudson would be an ideal 1-year stopgap, but the Sox apparently have no interest in signing him any more.

:dunno:

I'm not so sure...I honestly think they view Getz, Lillibridge, or Nix as the stopgap. I'm only speculating here, but I think the Sox see the 2B situation this season as having one of three possible outcomes:

1) One of the three kids pleasantly surprises everyone and has a really good year, creating a nice problem to have in 2010 with an abundance of talent at the position

2) All 3 suck and since they didn't spend $x million dollars on a player who may have gotten hurt anyway, they have the flexibility to make an in-season 2B acquisition

3) None of the three becomes a keeper, but at least one or two of them perform serviceably enough to fill the role adequately for the season.

For my two cents, I think it's probably the right thing to do. Sign Hudson or make a trade, and you never find out if you have a good, cheap option in-house. I don't think the 2B situation will make or break the team (the rotation will probably do that), so I think it's okay to see how this plays out at least for the first few months of the year.

voodoochile
02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
If thing don't go well with the kids this year, I can see Kenny spending a little more on the FA market next year to patch holes, very much like he did after 2007.

If we can develop a few solid major leaguers out of the batch of this spring's 3B, 2B and CF candidates, then why spend the cash?? I'm all for a large payroll, since we are a large market team. But spending just to spend is pretty foolhardy.

I also wonder if Dye (if he's not dealt before then) would re-sign with the Sox under a lesser contract if they don't pick up the option after this season. I also think Thome's very likely to hang them up after this season.

Oh I agree. If you've got the horses, no need to spend like crazy, lock up TCQ and whoever you expect to be a stud for several years and enjoy the benefits. I do think the Sox will need at least one more veteran pitcher next year. I think KW will use 12M or so of that money to sign someone to a 3-4 year deal. Then if none of the close to ready guys performs he might even take a flier on a retread #5.

However, I don't expect the CF issue to be answered this year (for example). I am hoping Viciedo will show enough to take over for Dye next year. I am also cautiously optimistic about Josh Fields (don't ask me why, just write it off to my love of the underdog). I do think Beckham will be ready so if none of the big three makes it at 2B the Sox will have a plan.

That leaves $15M (roughly) to spend on CF and bullpen help. I think next year is gonna be a great off season. Hopefully things work out well this year and KW gets a chance to open a 4 year window on the next World Series Run...

khan
02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
So many things can happen in 2009 for this club that I can't really see that far ahead to 2010, to tell you the truth:

At some point, Danks, Floyd, and Quentin will have to be upped a bit. For that matter, since Jenks is only on a 1-year deal [I think], HE'LL have to be paid long-term, or moved. IF one of the 3-headed monster at 2B emerge, they too will have to be paid.

For THAT matter, Buehle, Dotel, and Linebrink are all coming up to the end of their contracts in the next year or two. Dye will be a 5 and 10 man by the end of this season, IF he remains in Chicago. Decisions will have to be made for these [and other] in-house veterans.

Set all of this across the backdrop of the worst economic times of our lives. AND the pending CBA ending in 2011. AND the shift in philosophy/personnel in terms of the people running minor league system. AND the uncertainty of this team's performance in 2009, relying upon much lesser prospects in the rotation than Danks/Floyd. AND the potential for some of the younger players to regress or get injured. AND the whole Wilder debacle. AND the WBC, with the soon-to-be defecting Cubans to choose from.

In sum, speculating about trades or potential FA signings for 2010 is an exercise in futility to my mind. Without SOME knowledge of some of the variables I [and others] have mentioned, we can't reasonably forecast what KW will do.

I'll enjoy 2009 first, before giving 2010 too much thought. I'll cheer on Fields and Floyd, though I don't think that these two will perform up to their press clippings. I'll cheer on Dye, Konerko and Thome, though I have my reasons for thinking that one or more of them might be finitu. I'll cheer on Buehrle and Jenks, though I fear that this might be our last chance to see one of them in a WHITE SOX uniform. In sum, there are too many interesting stories for 2009 to worry about 2010, IMHO.

Domeshot17
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
We will continue to treat next year as business as usual the same way we always conduct. We know 2 things, The Sox love to keep their own players, and the Sox do not spend in Free Agency. They are very rarely in on the big names, they do not overbid for need positions and more often then not end up finishing in second place to any big name in FA. I am not saying this is neither good nor bad, its a little of Both. I think we would really regret having Hunter at 15-17 a year or Fukudome. I think we have been foolish to not get in on pitchers in the past however. It has been both a blessing and a curse.

We will use the 30-45 mil free to lock up Jenks for 3 years, try and get 1 of Danks and Floyd signed long term, and possibly see if we can get Quentin signed at a good rate before arbitration (My pick would be Quentin and Danks since Danks is much more likely to keep his success up where Floyd is VERY risky to stay a top of the rotation guy).

We will then throw some kids in the mix and hope they work. We will make a trade or 2 and then bargain hunt FA trying to catch some lightning in a bottle.

Its all going to depend on if we catch that lightning. Some years we do (Dye AJ El Duque) some years we look like fools for doing it (Erstad Terrero).

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm excited about 2010 as I posted in another thread a week or so ago. Though this article says we only have about 37 million committed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-30-white-sox-chicagojan30,0,7436982.story

I heard that on the radio but it's wrong. Here are who we are committed to and for how much (in millions) in 2010...

Buehrle - 14
Konerko - 12
Dye - 1 (buyout)
Pierzynski - 6.25
Jenks - 5.6 (salary in 2009, will still be under contract)
Linebrink - 5
Viciedo - 1.25
Thornton - 2.25 (club option - will most likely be picked up)
Betemit - 1.3 (salary in 2009, will still be under contract)
Ramirez - 1.1
Danks - 0.4 (salary in 2008, will still be under contract)
Floyd - 0.4 (salary in 2008, will still be under contract)
Quentin - 0.4 (salary in 2008, will still be under contract)
Owens - 0.4 (salary in 2008, will still be under contract)
Anderson - 0.4 (salary in 2008, will still be under contract)
Total - 51.75

This doesn't even take into consideration guys like Getz, Marquez, Richard, Nix, or any other minor leaguers that end up making the team during the season and sticking around for 2010.

khan
02-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Here are who we are committed to and for how much (in millions) in 2010...

Jenks - 5.6 (salary in 2009, will still be under contract)

I have it that Jenks signed a 1-year deal, avoiding arbitration just a few weeks ago. So that would mean one of three things for 2010:

1. Bobby Jenks is back with the SOX, likely at a higher number and for longer years,

OR

2. Bobby Jenks is traded for another player,

OR

3. KW allows Bobby Jenks to walk in FA.

LoveYourSuit
02-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Here's my gloom and doom prediction: the economy will become so bad in the next couple of years that the Yankees will regret these contracts and they will be in trouble.

I agree on that.

The economy IMO has bigger issues than we once thought and even the new administration is pointing this out.

I think baseball spending will be down the next 2-3 seasons, and the Sox made the right move buy cutting back this season and perhaps find a bargain or two next season. Bargains will be out there.

The Yankees need to feel like **** right now because they pretty much negotiated against themselves on those early signings. I don't think they care that much since they appear to print money up there. But there has to be a ceiling for them too, especially seeing how there neighbor team is losing a huge sponsor in Citi.

WhiteSox5187
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Well, I think that a lot of this will depend on where the economy is, but I wouldn't be shocked if as some have speculated Kenny is going to use 2009 to see where the kids are in terms of development and then go ahead and attempt to go for it all in 2010 with a mix of veterans and free agents.

It's interesting because 85 wins or so could wind up winning the division in '09 and we're going to be seeing whether or not the Sox have any glaring holes. People say rebuilding and to me that conjures up images of the late 1980s and 1990s and I don't think we're going to be doing that again. What we might see is a bit of an off year in 2009 and I have no doubt that Kenny will address the holes we have to make sure we are on the "on paper" favorite for the division in 2010. Although it could be that with the guys we have right now we'll be the on paper favorite in 2010.

NLaloosh
02-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree on that.

The economy IMO has bigger issues than we once thought and even the new administration is pointing this out.

I think baseball spending will be down the next 2-3 seasons, and the Sox made the right move buy cutting back this season and perhaps find a bargain or two next season. Bargains will be out there.

The Yankees need to feel like **** right now because they pretty much negotiated against themselves on those early signings. I don't think they care that much since they appear to print money up there. But there has to be a ceiling for them too, especially seeing how there neighbor team is losing a huge sponsor in Citi.

Believe me, I hate to be a gloom and doomer but this economy is getting effin scary. A full blown recession lasting many years is not out of the question at all.

It's Dankerific
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I guess we'll just ignore that 95% of the Season Ticket holders might not be locked in to 2010.

getonbckthr
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
This talk about the Yankees is funny. Considering in the next year or so Pettite, Damon, Matsui, Rivera and Posada will all be gone.

LoveYourSuit
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
This talk about the Yankees is funny. Considering in the next year or so Pettite, Damon, Matsui, Rivera and Posada will all be gone.

Their farm system sucks. So odds are after those guys come off the books, then they have to throw in more money on new guys to fill those gaps.

getonbckthr
02-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Their farm system sucks. So odds are after those guys come off the books, then they have to throw in more money on new guys to fill those gaps.
Chamberlain could fill Rivera's spot. Melky Cabrera for Damon, Matsui is replaceable. Pettite is lucky the Yanks let him come back. Posada at this stage is replaceable with pieces.

russ99
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I have it that Jenks signed a 1-year deal, avoiding arbitration just a few weeks ago. So that would mean one of three things for 2010:

1. Bobby Jenks is back with the SOX, likely at a higher number and for longer years,

OR

2. Bobby Jenks is traded for another player,

OR

3. KW allows Bobby Jenks to walk in FA.

As I recall, Bobby has still another year of arb left before FA. So that should happen in 2011, not 2010.

doublem23
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM

There's probably going to be a glut of free agents out there, assuming a lot of the guys still available in '09 sign 1-year deals. So the Yankees will probably cut payroll for the 2nd straight year in 2010.

LoveYourSuit
02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Chamberlain could fill Rivera's spot. Melky Cabrera for Damon, Matsui is replaceable. Pettite is lucky the Yanks let him come back. Posada at this stage is replaceable with pieces.

Yes, but you think those guys will be playing for peanuts the rest of their careers?

Chamberlain and Cabrera will be arbitration elegible soon. They will get paid.

doublem23
02-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Well, Mariano will get paid $15 M next year, but he's under contract through 2010 with full no-trade protection, so I doubt he's going anywhere.

Shedding Damon and Posada alone, however will save the Yankees $26 million, which will probably cover Melky, Joba, and then some.

oeo
02-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Let's hope that doesn't happen, but the Yankees should be regretting it right now. It's becoming increasingly evident that the Yankees grossly overpaid. While there were supposedly other teams looking to give Sabathia and Teixeira monster deals, where is that money being spent now?

The Yankees likely could have gotten better deals if they were more patient.

Lillian
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Believe me, I hate to be a gloom and doomer but this economy is getting effin scary. A full blown recession lasting many years is not out of the question at all.

Well, I think you´re half right. To say that it could last many years is not at all out of the question, in fact as I argued here over two years ago, it seems almost unavoidable. However, I remain convinced that it will be a depression, not a recession.

gosox41
02-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, I think you´re half right. To say that it could last many years is not at all out of the question, in fact as I argued here over two years ago, it seems almost unavoidable. However, I remain convinced that it will be a depression, not a recession.

I agree. It's going to get ugly.

Bob

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Can you guys cut the recession/depression **** out? Honestly. I come here to talk mainly sports and other types of entertain with you guys. I use this as an escape from the real world and see it as another form of entertainment. I don't want to hear your predictions about what you think will happen. No offense, but you guys don't know half of the **** that's going down. Keep your pessimistic opinions about the real world to yourselves, please. Talk all the negative crap you want about the Sox, Cubs, or whichever team, just please keep the real crap real far.

Thanks.

oeo
02-06-2009, 11:50 PM

I agree. It's going to get ugly.

Bob

:happybday

gosox41
02-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Can you guys cut the recession/depression **** out? Honestly. I come here to talk mainly sports and other types of entertain with you guys. I use this as an escape from the real world and see it as another form of entertainment. I don't want to hear your predictions about what you think will happen. No offense, but you guys don't know half of the **** that's going down. Keep your pessimistic opinions about the real world to yourselves, please. Talk all the negative crap you want about the Sox, Cubs, or whichever team, just please keep the real crap real far.

Thanks.

You may disagree with the opinions but the reality is a lot of moves the 2010 Sox make are going to be decided by the state of the economy. Like it or not, it's a reality. So when you bring up salary and free agents, a lot of moves are going to be decided by non-baseball forces.

I like coming here to talk baseball but I don't see any reason to avoid talking about the variables that will directly affect the Sox roster.

Bob

LoveYourSuit
02-07-2009, 01:46 AM
You may disagree with the opinions but the reality is a lot of moves the 2010 Sox make are going to be decided by the state of the economy. Like it or not, it's a reality. So when you bring up salary and free agents, a lot of moves are going to be decided by non-baseball forces.

I like coming here to talk baseball but I don't see any reason to avoid talking about the variables that will directly affect the Sox roster.

Bob

I couldn't agree more.

The economy is going to affect all the ML teams, and that's a fact.

I wish we could cover it with a thumb and ignore it, but it's reality.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2009, 02:07 AM

Bob

I couldn't agree more.

The economy is going to affect all the ML teams, and that's a fact.

I wish we could cover it with a thumb and ignore it, but it's reality.

Alright, well I disagree with all of you synical human beings and think the economy won't be as bad as you "predict" it to be. So what now? We argue back and forth about the economy? No thanks.

Stick to baseball people.

Nellie_Fox
02-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Alright, well I disagree with all of you synical human beings and think the economy won't be as bad as you "predict" it to be. So what now? We argue back and forth about the economy? No thanks.

Stick to baseball people.cynical.

LoveYourSuit
02-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Seriously, what is it to you?

It's a factor and you want us to ignore it and just talk baseball between the lines?

Unless I'm speaking to a 5th grader, I agree. He/she would have no clue about economic impact on the game. But I think we are all adults here and need to speak and look at reality.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Seriously, what is it to you?

It's a factor and you want us to ignore it and just talk baseball between the lines?

Unless I'm speaking to a 5th grader, I agree. He/she would have no clue about economic impact on the game. But I think we are all adults here and need to speak and look at reality.

No, the difference is you are a VERY negative human being. VERY negative.

It's not healthy. You know what else isn't healthy? Smoking. So it's like your smoking next to me and quite frankly I don't want that **** around me. I'm not going to follow you around and tell you to change or leave, but just in this discussion, that I started, I'd prefer you keep your extremely negative views about the ECONOMY to your dark self. You can be as negative about the White Sox spending in 2010 as you want. Just don't sit here spitting your assumed BS about "the world is coming to an end". I don't believe it, I don't care for it. The USA, heck the world in general, is far too advanced these days to let a deep depression strike again. That's all I'm going to say about that.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
cynical.

:redface: thanks.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-07-2009, 11:31 PM

It's not healthy. You know what else isn't healthy? Smoking. So it's like your smoking next to me and quite frankly I don't want that **** around me. I'm not going to follow you around and tell you to change or leave, but just in this discussion, that I started, I'd prefer you keep your extremely negative views about the ECONOMY to your dark self. You can be as negative about the White Sox spending in 2010 as you want. Just don't sit here spitting your assumed BS about "the world is coming to an end". I don't believe it, I don't care for it. The USA, heck the world in general, is far too advanced these days to let a deep depression strike again. That's all I'm going to say about that.

That has to be the worst analogy I've ever heard, by comparing talking about the economy and how it will affect the Sox/baseball to smoking.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2009, 11:39 PM
That has to be the worst analogy I've ever heard, by comparing talking about the economy and how it will affect the Sox/baseball to smoking.

Your comprehension skills are pretty bad as well. I was comparing his consistently negative views to smoking. Not talking about the economy.

BleacherBandit
02-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Can we agree on this?

We don't know if the economy will pan out or not in the future, or how.

But we do know that it is effecting teams right now. How do you think that only the Yankees were able to sign Texiera, Sabathia, and Burnett in the same offseason to multi-year deals?

Lillian
02-08-2009, 07:43 AM

I´m afraid that your perspective on this subject is very naive, and I strongly believe, completely wrong. Unfortunately, you appear to not have any interest in trying to understand it. A closed mind pretty much precludes the possibility of coming to grips with this somewhat complex, and very important issue.
Anyone who can´t tolerate hearing about this economic crisis is going to have an especially difficult time over the next few years, as that may be the one thing about which we will all be hearing the most.
This crisis will likely come to be regarded by future historians as the story of the beginning of this Millennium.

LoveYourSuit
02-08-2009, 01:25 PM

I guess you are the 5th grader I described earlier.

Santa Clause and Mickey Mouse are not real by the way.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I´m afraid that your perspective on this subject is very naive, and I strongly believe, completely wrong. Unfortunately, you appear to not have any interest in trying to understand it. A closed mind pretty much precludes the possibility of coming to grips with this somewhat complex, and very important issue.
Anyone who can´t tolerate hearing about this economic crisis is going to have an especially difficult time over the next few years, as that may be the one thing about which we will all be hearing the most.
This crisis will likely come to be regarded by future historians as the story of the beginning of this Millennium.

I know the economy is in ****s and I talk all day about it. I'm a finance major and we have been watching the stock market and even the real estate sector for months now. My 401k is looking like gold right now because I have been so in tune with what's going on that I quickly moved all my investments to low-risk, low-return, short term investments months ago and I haven't lost more than 1% (and that's because I didn't jump off right away). I know what's going on. I know it's bad and I know it'll take YEARS to get back on track. One of my professors said it best when he said, "in the last year, we've lost about 25 years of progress". I also know the stimulus package they have on the table right now isn't a good idea long-term but must be signed to save this country (literally). I know it's bad and I know the country is about to make some DRASTIC changes, it must.

I do all that talking, all that stuff, all day in school, at work, etc. I expect it there. I don't want to deal with it here also. Why is this concept so hard for you cynical (thanks Nellie :redface:) bastards to grasp? Go open up a thread in The Parking Lot and make it as negative as you want. Just don't put that **** in my threads. ****ing-A.

Yes, I'm a 5th grader yet you continue to argue with me, a 5th grader. How do you feel about that? Major Ass Clown, how did they let you off the base?

And I bet you shot down Santa Claus and Mickey being real at the age of 4.

LYS' mom: "Honey, this is Santa Claus, want to go sit on his lap and tell him what you want for Christmas?"
4-year old LYS: "Mom, you have got to be kidding me. Santa is a fictional character and quite frankly, I'm not stupid enough to believe in him. The guy would have to be like 800 years old. This is such a scam. I can't believe you, my own mother, would try to fool me into being creative and being happy. Can we go home now so I can sit in my dark room again and predict the future?"

http://hammerfistfighting.com/images/romeburnsliddell2.jpg
"Phenomenal."

Lillian
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, WhiteSoxFan84, you certainly seem to be more aware than your earlier posts suggested. My remarks were in response to your specific quote about ¨the world being too sophisticated to let another depression occur¨. That kind of confidence in modernity is a very common view. It was probably shared by previous generations following each of the bubbles that helped create all of the other deflationary depressions, which have occurred every 50 to 60 years. It is in fact just the sort of hubris that leads to the speculative abuses that ironically create the deflations.

The fact that this cycle has been longer than any of the previous other cycles has led to an especially high degree of confidence. After 70 years, many came to the fallacious conclusion that we had outgrown and out smarted such economic calamities. Unfortunately, the ´geniuses´on Wall Street and in the Real Estate and Mortgage Banking industries not only did not figure out how to avoid the inevitable deflationary depressions that have been part of the cycle, but they created the instruments to sew the seeds for an even bigger calamity. All of the creative financing, securitization of mortgages, and the credit default obligations have left this ´modern´economy in greater peril than any previous economy from the ´old days´.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, WhiteSoxFan84, you certainly seem to be more aware than your earlier posts suggested. My remarks were in response to your specific quote about ¨the world being too sophisticated to let another depression occur¨. That kind of confidence in modernity is a very common view. It was probably shared by previous generations following each of the bubbles that helped create all of the other deflationary depressions, which have occurred every 50 to 60 years. It is in fact just the sort of hubris that leads to the speculative abuses that ironically create the deflations.

The fact that this cycle has been longer than any of the previous other cycles has led to an especially high degree of confidence. After 70 years, many came to the fallacious conclusion that we had outgrown and out smarted such economic calamities. Unfortunately, the ´geniuses´on Wall Street and in the Real Estate and Mortgage Banking industries not only did not figure out how to avoid the inevitable deflationary depressions that have been part of the cycle, but they created the instruments to sew the seeds for an even bigger calamity. All of the creative financing, securitization of mortgages, and the credit default obligations have left this ´modern´economy in greater peril than any previous economy from the ´old days´.

Now you're besing OPTIMISITIC lol. There is one word that can explain ALL of this: greed. End of story. This is the greediest society in the world and we wanted it ALL. And we had it all for decades. Now it's time to repay w/ interest. This is why I'm optimistic. We Americans are used to getting almost everything we WANT. Now it's time to get by with just the things we NEED. That's not so bad in my eyes. But in the eyes of the greedy SOBs that have led us to where we are now, that is not acceptable and we can't "survive" under those conditions.

I hear what you're saying and I'm not saying you're way off or anything like that. I'd just rather talk about baseball, sports, entertainment, etc. when I'm here.

FedEx227
02-08-2009, 05:23 PM

The Easter Bunny is still real though.... RIGHT?

gosox41
02-08-2009, 11:38 PM

OK, if the economy rebounds in 2010 to pre-2008 levels and the advertisers come storming back in, then I see the Sox jacking their payroll up to slightly higher then where it was in 2008. They will give extenstions to CQ, Danks, and Floyd if they have good 2009 seasons. Any holes not filled by young players this season will be fixed by free agency or by trading for good, proven players.

voodoochile
02-09-2009, 01:06 AM
The Easter Bunny is still real though.... RIGHT?

No, but watch out for the tooth fairy. She's got quotas to fill and if the teeth aren't available, she'll snatch them from your head faster than you can say root canal. Many a disbelieving child has gone to be with a full mouth of teeth only to wake up with a mouth full of holes and a bloody pillow. She's been known to take the adult teeth too when she's in a hurry. In fact there are those who claim she invented Roofies just to further her evil agenda.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Getting back to what I was ORIGINALLY saying in this thread, we can now offcially add Orlando Hudson, Bobby Abreu, and maybe even Manny Ramirez to the list of potential 2010 free agents.

Also, John Lackey and the Angels are talking about a possible extension and it is believed that he is asking for 5 years, $75 mill ($15 mill per). Would you, as Sox fan, be upset or OK with the Sox offering him/signing him to a similar contract if he hit the market? And by similar I mean possible 4 years, $60 mill since we don't do more than 3 years for pitchers unless there is an exception (like Buehrle and I would presume a solid vet like Lackey).

cws05champ
03-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Getting back to what I was ORIGINALLY saying in this thread, we can now offcially add Orlando Hudson, Bobby Abreu, and maybe even Manny Ramirez to the list of potential 2010 free agents.

Also, John Lackey and the Angels are talking about a possible extension and it is believed that he is asking for 5 years, $75 mill ($15 mill per). Would you, as Sox fan, be upset or OK with the Sox offering him/signing him to a similar contract if he hit the market? And by similar I mean possible 4 years, $60 mill since we don't do more than 3 years for pitchers unless there is an exception (like Buehrle and I would presume a solid vet like Lackey).

It really depends on the development of Richard, Marquez, Poreda at this point.

Craig Grebeck
03-07-2009, 08:57 AM

No.

Tragg
03-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Would you, as Sox fan, be upset or OK with the Sox offering him/signing him to a similar contract if he hit the market? And by similar I mean possible 4 years, $60 mill since we don't do more than 3 years for pitchers unless there is an exception (like Buehrle and I would presume a solid vet like Lackey).
That's way over market value today.

Frater Perdurabo
03-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm glad this thread came back. I'd like to help bring it back on topic.

If just some of these young position players (Beckham, Morel, Viciedo, Allen, Flowers, Jordan Danks, Getz, Fields, Nix, Lillibridge, Owens, BA, etc.) - and pitchers (Marquez, Poreda, Richard, Link, etc.) pan out and complement the already established young core (Quentin, John Danks, Floyd, Alexei), KW will have engineered a complete "rebuilding" on the fly while generally remaining competitive in the division.

Look at it another way: there's really no place on the diamond where the Sox don't have a young player and/or prospect with potential to succeed:

LF/RF: Quentin, Viciedo
CF: BA, Owens, Danks
3B: Fields, Viciedo, Morel, Beckham
1B: Allen, Viciedo, Fields, Flowers
2B: Getz, Lillibridge, Nix, Beckham
SS: Alexei, Beckham
C: Flowers
SP: Danks, Floyd, Marquez, Richard, Poreda
RP: Poreda, Link

If there is any "weak spot," it's probably left-handed power and catching. And you can never have enough pitching. Still, this organization is in much better shape than it was just 24 months ago. And there ought to be enough prospects to trade to fill holes.

Tragg
03-07-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm glad this thread came back. I'd like to help bring it back on topic.

If just some of these young position players (Beckham, Morel, Viciedo, Allen, Flowers, Jordan Danks, Getz, Fields, Nix, Lillibridge, Owens, BA, etc.) - and pitchers (Marquez, Poreda, Richard, Link, etc.) pan out and complement the already established young core (Quentin, John Danks, Floyd, Alexei), KW will have engineered a complete "rebuilding" on the fly while generally remaining competitive in the division.

Look at it another way: there's really no place on the diamond where the Sox don't have a young player and/or prospect with potential to succeed:

LF/RF: Quentin, Viciedo
CF: BA, Owens, Danks
3B: Fields, Viciedo, Morel, Beckham
1B: Allen, Viciedo, Fields, Flowers
2B: Getz, Lillibridge, Nix, Beckham
SS: Alexei, Beckham
C: Flowers
SP: Danks, Floyd, Marquez, Richard, Poreda
RP: Poreda, Link

If there is any "weak spot," it's probably left-handed power and catching. And you can never have enough pitching. Still, this organization is in much better shape than it was just 24 months ago. And there ought to be enough prospects to trade to fill holes. We still lack a lot of depth.
We're light on top-end pitching prospects, OF, and catching. It seems that other than Missle and Beckham, our middle infielders are basically utility level talent.
Certainly we have a lot here that with some sharp FA signings and small trades, we can stay in contention. But the FA market is going to be weird.....Williams read this market right and early, so hopefully his perception stays keen.

Frater Perdurabo
03-07-2009, 11:26 AM
We still lack a lot of depth.
We're light on top-end pitching prospects, OF, and catching. It seems that other than Missle and Beckham, our middle infielders are basically utility level talent.
Certainly we have a lot here that with some sharp FA signings and small trades, we can stay in contention. But the FA market is going to be weird.....Williams read this market right and early, so hopefully his perception stays keen.

This year's draft could go a long way toward building that depth.

gr8mexico
03-07-2009, 11:41 AM
The Sox have alot of Money coming off the books next year to make a run
for a stud player.White Sox FA's next year are Jose Contreras, Jim Thome, Jermaine Dye & Octavio Dotel. That's almost 40MIL total. I would hope the Sox would look into signing Matt Holliday. It could look something like this

1. Jerry Owens :(: CF
2. Alexei Ramirez SS
3. Carlos Quentin RF
4. Matt Holliday LF
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Dayan Viciedo DH
7. A.J Pierzynski C
8. Josh Fields 3B
9. Gordon Beckham 2B

johnnyg83
03-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm with Frater, I haven't felt this good about the collective assortment and depth of young Sox talent in years.

Post-Ventura/Thomas/McDowell/Fernandez we seemed to lock onto one or two young prospects and have our hopes disproportionately locked into them succeeding: Borchard, Fields, Dellearo, Leifer ... really never worked out.

Still hoping on Fields ... but there's somebody behind him if he can't make it.

sox1970
03-07-2009, 12:08 PM
The Sox have alot of Money coming off the books next year to make a run
for a stud player.White Sox FA's next year are Jose Contreras, Jim Thome, Jermaine Dye & Octavio Dotel. That's almost 40MIL total. I would hope the Sox would look into signing Matt Holliday. It could look something like this

1. Jerry Owens :(: CF
2. Alexei Ramirez SS
3. Carlos Quentin RF
4. Matt Holliday LF
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Dayan Viciedo DH
7. A.J Pierzynski C
8. Josh Fields 3B
9. Gordon Beckham 2B

That would be a real crappy defensive outfield. I think Viciedo ultimately ends up in LF, and Quentin goes to RF. In a perfect world, Brian Anderson figures out how to hit .250 in the big leagues, and plays CF and bats 9th...but I'm not confident that will happen.

I also don't think we'll ever see Beckham in the 9-hole. He's too good for that.

johnnyg83
03-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Are there any leadoff/CFs on the FA market next winter? Figgins, maybe?

russ99
03-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Are there any leadoff/CFs on the FA market next winter? Figgins, maybe?

I see Kenny handling this like the relief pitching in 2007. If the guys we have here can't cut it, he'll fix it eventually with a FA or a trade.

Either way we should have our answer by 2010, with Jordan Danks taking over by 2012.

sullythered
03-08-2009, 12:43 AM
I think in 2010, the Sox should sign Lebron and Bosh.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-08-2009, 04:35 AM
That's way over market value today.

Not for premier pitchers like Lackey. Look at what Burnett, Sabathia, Lowe, and Perez (even though he's not a premier pitcher) got this OFFseason. Lackey will get at least $15 mill in my opinion unless he settles for less to stay in LA.

Craig Grebeck
03-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Not for premier pitchers like Lackey. Look at what Burnett, Sabathia, Lowe, and Perez (even though he's not a premier pitcher) got this OFFseason. Lackey will get at least $15 mill in my opinion unless he settles for less to stay in LA.
Still a terrible idea.

Tragg
03-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Not for premier pitchers like Lackey. Look at what Burnett, Sabathia, Lowe, and Perez (even though he's not a premier pitcher) got this OFFseason.
All before the bottom fell out of the market.
You'll continue to see a bunch of short term deals.

guillen4life13
03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Everyday Lineup:

LF Figgins (major FA acquisition this coming offseason, signing Chone at 3yrs/$25million)
2B Beckham
RF Quentin
DH Konerko
3B Fields
1B Viciedo
SS Ramirez
C Pierzynski
CF Anderson

Bench:

C See 2009 Sox (Miller or Stewart)
IF/OF Lillibridge
IF Uribe (I think the Sox will sign him next year to be an IF defense specialist)
OF Owens
OF Wise (if they go with 11 pitchers)

Rotation:

Danks
Buehrle
Floyd
Marquez (who will get some starts in '09)
Poreda

Bullpen:

LHP Thornton
RHP Jenks
RHP Linebrink
LHP Richard (spot starter and long relief man)
RHP Link
FA Acquisition
LHP Nunez (12th pitcher if that's the direction team goes)

jabrch
03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Everyday Lineup:

LF Figgins (major FA acquisition this coming offseason, signing Chone at 3yrs/$25million)
2B Beckham
RF Quentin
DH Konerko
3B Fields
1B Viciedo
SS Ramirez
C Pierzynski
CF Anderson

I can't see Figgins in LF. If we sign him, I'd expect him to play CF and we go out and put a real bat in LF. I'm also not convinced that Dye is on his way out yet.

But there is much reason to be optimistic for the future.

voodoochile
03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I can't see Figgins in LF. If we sign him, I'd expect him to play CF and we go out and put a real bat in LF. I'm also not convinced that Dye is on his way out yet.

But there is much reason to be optimistic for the future.

I agree. I'd rather see Viciedo in LF, Quentin in RF, Dye as DH and PK left at first.

jabrch
03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I agree. I'd rather see Viciedo in LF, Quentin in RF, Dye as DH and PK left at first.

I agree. That would be s strong lineup.

I'm not a fan of Figgins as a high priced FA signing - but I understand what people like about him.

I surely wouldn't give him 3 years starting in 2010. I have hopes for Jordan Danks in 2011 or 2012 at the latest.

JohnTucker0814
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd like to sign Dye to a 1 yr contract after this year, then my lineup for 2010 would be:

1. Beckham 2B
2. Ramirez SS
3. Quentin RF
4. Dye DH
5. Konerko 1B
6. Viciedo LF
7. Fields 3B
8. Flowers C
9. Anderson CF

Then 2011

1. Beckham 2B
2. Ramirez SS
3. Quentin RF
4. Konerko DH
5. Viciedo LF
6. Fields 3B
7. Allen 1B
8. Flowers C
9. Anderson CF

guillen4life13
03-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I agree. That would be s strong lineup.

I'm not a fan of Figgins as a high priced FA signing - but I understand what people like about him.

I surely wouldn't give him 3 years starting in 2010. I have hopes for Jordan Danks in 2011 or 2012 at the latest.

If Jordan Danks is ready by then, then he can slide into CF and be the 2 hitter until Figgins' theoretical deal runs out.

I think 2009 is Dye's last season here. Konerko is signed through 2010 and there's no reason to keep both players with all of these young guys breaking in. I think you're more likely to see Konerko re-signed after 2011 than Dye resigned after 2010 since Konerko is younger and has been the face of the franchise (outside of Ozzie) since 2002. Or both players are gone by the end of 2010, which would bring a 2011 lineup of (theoretically):

LF Figgins
2B Beckham
RF Quentin
1B Viciedo
3B Fields
SS Ramirez
DH Allen
C Flowers
CF Danks

Without Figgins:
LF Danks
2B Beckham
RF Quentin
1B Viciedo
3B Fields
SS Ramirez
DH Allen
C Flowers
CF Anderson

With Konerko/Figgins:
LF Figgins
2B Beckham
RF Quentin
DH Konerko
1B Viciedo
3B Fields
SS Ramirez
C Flowers
CF Danks

If no Figgins, then Danks leads off from LF and BA hits 9th in CF.

guillen4life13
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd like to sign Dye to a 1 yr contract after this year, then my lineup for 2010 would be:

1. Beckham 2B
2. Ramirez SS
3. Quentin RF
4. Dye DH
5. Konerko 1B
6. Viciedo LF
7. Fields 3B
8. Flowers C
9. Anderson CF

Then 2011

1. Beckham 2B
2. Ramirez SS
3. Quentin RF
4. Konerko DH
5. Viciedo LF
6. Fields 3B
7. Allen 1B
8. Flowers C
9. Anderson CF

Beckham leading off wouldn't be the ideal scenario. Jordan Danks would solve that issue.