PDA

View Full Version : The most overpaid person in baseball is....

captainclutch24
02-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Bud Selig

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-seligsalary020309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

KRS1
02-04-2009, 12:31 AM
reveal that Selig earned just shy of $18 million in 2007

Wuuuuuhhh?

:shocked:

Britt Burns
02-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Disgusting. This would be way too much for a good Commish, and Selig definitely ain't good.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-04-2009, 01:09 AM
He does such a good job though.

Edit: I have no idea if I have teal or not, I can't tell. Lol.

Boondock Saint
02-04-2009, 02:47 AM
He does such a good job though.

Edit: I have no idea if I have teal or not, I can't tell. Lol.

:tealtutor:

I'm here to help.

And I really don't need any more ammo for hating Selig.

itsnotrequired
02-04-2009, 05:37 AM
what's the problem here? selig works for the owners. he made them a ton of money. they rewarded him with a bonus. seems fair to me. it isn't like mlb is some type of publicly funded organization getting some multi-billion dollar federal bailout.

Marqhead
02-04-2009, 07:13 AM
what's the problem here? selig works for the owners. he made them a ton of money. they rewarded him with a bonus. seems fair to me. it isn't like mlb is some type of publicly funded organization getting some multi-billion dollar federal bailout.

:thumbsup:

That is exactly correct. Selig's job is to make the MLB money. The MLB made 6 billion last year. Selig is going to get a large chunk on that change.

skobabe8
02-04-2009, 07:42 AM

INR, I can't believe you are the voice of reason on this one! :o:

It's not like they just pick a salary number out of a hat, or Bud decides what he is going to get paid. I'm sure they have a formula to determine his compensation based on the amount of money MLB makes.

Bucky F. Dent
02-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Bud Selig

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-seligsalary020309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Funny, I was going to say Giambi.:)

NLaloosh
02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Barry Zito.

voodoochile
02-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Disgusting. This would be way too much for a good Commish, and Selig definitely ain't good.

He's built MLB revenue to unprecedented numbers and the owners are making money hand over fist under his tenure. As far as they are concerned he is doing a great job...

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2009, 02:54 AM

Define a good commish. You and I may not like him or agree with what he's done, but clearly all the other owners do. He may have made a few mistakes here and there, but the guy really isn't as bad as some of you make him out to be.

And as for thr $18M he got in 2007, he probably earned it in the eyes of the people that paid him (you, me, and every other fan that attended a game that season).

The wild card and interleague play alone make me feel like he's doing a good enough job. Now if he'll only get MLB Network and the MLB package on Dish Network!

EuroSox35
02-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Well, as a player, I'd expect the boss to make the most money.

I'm in the minority and not a Selig hater. Hate all you want but when people look back, he'll be pretty important in the history of baseball. Ballsy decisions like the
-wild card (very successful),
-interleague (which I hate, but the average fan seems to like),
-WBC (I personally have no interest in olympic baseball, determining the best in the world without major leaguers would be a sham to me, so I think it will be big in the years to come). Just the fact that I wake up at 3 am and see Japan/Korea/China playing each other or watch the Latin teams go at it with their fans going nuts gave me a bigger sense of how big this is
-ASG implications (He gets a lot of hate for the tie, but it's not like he invented the ASG or its rules, or did things to take interest away compared to the best before his homefield rule, it's been around long before him, and that's a situation where the regular season and protecting the player is a high priority). I don't know if homefield is fair or the right way to go, but it does keep me (and the players) more interested. Also, I think baseball in general does a nice job with the event, with nostalgia and honoring legends and all that

to name a few. I'm sure people will rip him for the steroid stuff as well, but there seems to be a double standard with a guy like Tagliabue getting praised to high heaven and getting much less scrutiny in a sport where it was probably even more prevalent. There's still a debate on who's responsibility it is for personal decisions to break the law that can be extended to drug use in other aspects of society...