PDA

View Full Version : How does Cincinnatti justify not playing Austin Kearns?

MattSharp
05-24-2002, 07:11 PM
I understand that they have to put Junior back into the lineup, but in 31 games Kearns hit .333 with 7 doubles, 6 HRs, and 18 RBI. I would rather have him, Dunn, and Encarnacion over Griffey.......

pearso66
05-24-2002, 11:50 PM
my guess would be that they are paying griffey way more than they are paying kearns, and possibly giving people a look at griffey to show he isnt too injured for a possible trade? so they can get back to the kearns, dunn, encarnacion outfield. i mean it would make sence, they are all younger than griffey

OEO Magglio
05-25-2002, 11:28 AM
I think the Reds should sit down Encarnacion, but if you think they should sit Griffey your stupid, cause Griffey when healthy is still one of the top 5 players in the league.

Jerry_Manuel
05-25-2002, 12:44 PM
The Reds are going to rotate the players. Some say they might trade Casey to make room for Kearns.

doublem23
05-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I think the Reds should sit down Encarnacion, but if you think they should sit Griffey your stupid, cause Griffey when healthy is still one of the top 5 players in the league.

Right now, I'd rather have Kearns than Griffey...

Watch the Reds plummet, now.

And, no... I don't think Griffey is in the Top 5 best players anymore... Hell, I don't think he's even in Top 10 OUTFIELDERS.

Zednem700
05-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I understand that they have to put Junior back into the lineup, but in 31 games Kearns hit .333 with 7 doubles, 6 HRs, and 18 RBI. I would rather have him, Dunn, and Encarnacion over Griffey.......

Benching Kearns is a highly questionable move, but prefering Encarnacion over griffey is INSANE. So far, Encarnacion is having the best season of his career by far. This career year has produced an OPS of .815. The only time in his career that Griffey had an OPS lower than that was his rookie year when he posted a .749 OPS. Encarnacion is also sporting a .320 OBP, Griffey has NEVER had an OBP that low. Encarnacion is a useful player, but he is not anywhere near as valuable as Ken Griffey Junior, the Reds should trade Encarnacion now, when his value is at its highest, before he starts dropping back to his usual level of play.

Also the whole Griffey as a cancer thing makes no sense. Griffey seemed to be the leade and heart and soul of the Mariners when they first began putting together playoff runs. Have people forgotten the way he carried the Mariners to the division title in '95 and absolutely destroyed the Yankees in the division series? I've said it before and I'll say it again, only some sort of traumatic Phineas Gage type incident could turn a person around so completely from a heart and soul "just having him around helps" type player to a clubhouse cancer in a few short years. He is taking far less money than he could get, and has offered to restructure his contract even more if it means helping the team. He may be quiet, but he sounds pretty far from a cancer to me, and even if he was a cancer, he would literally have to be giving his teammates cancer for him to be a big enough negative to outweigh the positives he brings.

MattSharp
05-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Hell, I don't think he's even in Top 10 OUTFIELDERS.

I so agree. I mean lets see, who would be 10 OFs better than him, in no special order:

Mags
Bonds
Sosa (sorry :(: )
Ichiro
Manny Ramirez
Vladimir Guerrero
Lance Berkman
Cliff Floyd
Jim Edmonds
Chipper Jones

There are 10 OFs who are better than Griffey