PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a reason to hate MLB Network

doublem23
02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
MLB Network is awesome, but if you're like Lip and just itching for a reason to hate on it, here you go:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28996766

Bob Costas? Ugh.

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
What? You'd rather have Rex Hudler?

hi im skot
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
MLB Network is awesome, but if you're like Lip and just itching for a reason to hate on it, here you go:

Bob Costas? Ugh.

Like Lip needs another MLB Network-related thing to bitch about...

doublem23
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Bob Costas is a prick. I'd rather have the dogs that barked "Jingle Bells."

hi im skot
02-03-2009, 03:47 PM

I get enough of that knucklehead in MLB The Show.

bigsoxfan420
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Bob Costas? Ugh.

Ugh?! How about :bandance:!

veeter
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I get enough of that knucklehead in MLB The Show."That ball's almost in the dugout, what are you swingin' at?!" or "You got to go". I can't help but laugh at what he and Campbell say. But you have to wonder how Hudler got an announcing job.

PKalltheway
02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Bob Costas is a prick. I'd rather have the dogs that barked "Jingle Bells."
:shrug: I actually like Bob Costas.

veeter
02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
:shrug: I actually like Bob Costas.When he was with Tony Kubek on Game of the Week, they were pretty hard to top.

Lip Man 1
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Getting Costas is a very smooth move but from what I have been told it's not the last move....look for ESPN's Peter Gammons and the Trib's own Phil Rogers to trade companies that sign their paychecks.

Lip

soxinem1
02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

So do I, and I really like the MLB network so far.

Especially since they ran White Sox World Series highlights, like, what 100 times in less than a month? THEY RULE!!

That is more than ESPN and WGN did combined in 2005!!

Sorry, I'll jive with the ESPN bias theory (more like fact), but I will not complain just to complain.

So far, MLB Network is every baseball fan's wet dream!

FedEx227
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Add in the fact they are showing the Caribbean World Series :bandance::bandance:

thomas35forever
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Ditto. As far as I'm concerned, he has the most integrity of any sports journalist out there. I think he'll actually improve a network that so far hasn't really had any blemishes.

DSpivack
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Getting Costas is a very smooth move but from what I have been told it's not the last move....look for ESPN's Peter Gammons and the Trib's own Phil Rogers to trade companies that sign their paychecks.

Lip

I like Gammons but not Rogers, so one + and one - to me.

But what do I care? I don't get MLB Network thanks to Comcrap. Thanks to Proud to be your Bud to announcing that anyone with a basic package with ESPN will get the network, only for that to not be true. Way to go again, you doofus.

Medford Bobby
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM

But what do I care? I don't get MLB Network thanks to Comcrap. Thanks to Proud to be your Bud to announcing that anyone with a basic package with ESPN will get the network, only for that to not be true. Way to go again, you doofus.
:angry:Same here, DISH will never ever make a deal with MLB and Direct TV..:mad:

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Add in the fact they are showing the Caribbean World Series :bandance::bandance:
I know! How great is it to be able to watch a live baseball game in the middle of February?

thedudeabides
02-04-2009, 08:53 AM

I understand why some people may not, but I like Costas, as well. And baseball is his real passion. I think he'll bring a lot to the network.

itsnotrequired
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM

yes, this is all sieleg's fault.

:rolleyes:

Bucky F. Dent
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I like Costas, he's not an over the top clown like Berman, and he absolutely loves the game.

DSpivack
02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
yes, this is all sieleg's fault.

:rolleyes:

MLB announces that MLB Network will be among the biggest cable launches ever, that anyone with a basic cable package [i.e. you get ESPN and what not] will be able to get the channel. Then, the channel launches, and this proves not to be the case. Sounds like to me that MLB dropped the ball, if you will, got played by the cable companies, or never knew what was going on in the first place. Since Selig is head of the MLB, why shouldn't he be to blame?

Jim Shorts
02-04-2009, 01:44 PM

He's like the Randy "Macho Man" Savage of baseball with his delivery.

I really wish I got the MLB Network, Costas would be nails...damn comcast...damn selig.

doublem23
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I really wish I got the MLB Network, Costas would be nails...damn comcast...damn selig.

MLB Network is on Comcast in Chicagoland. Go to mlb.com/network, enter your ZIP Code and you should find the channel.

itsnotrequired
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
MLB announces that MLB Network will be among the biggest cable launches ever, that anyone with a basic cable package [i.e. you get ESPN and what not] will be able to get the channel. Then, the channel launches, and this proves not to be the case. Sounds like to me that MLB dropped the ball, if you will, got played by the cable companies, or never knew what was going on in the first place. Since Selig is head of the MLB, why shouldn't he be to blame?

Technically, they said if you get ESPN and the like you should be able to get the channel. The requirement is that you have a "digital basic" level of service. Unfortunately, it appears as if the cable companies get to determine what that level is. So if you have something like Comcast's "digital starter" package (which includes ESPN), Comcast appears to be taking a stance that "starter" is not the same as "basic".

Now, my question is wouldn't MLB have gotten this distinction into the contract? Rather than have all this ambiguity, it would be a lot easier if MLB provided a list from the cable companies which indicated what service tier offered is the equivelent of "digital basic". That would help avoid a lot of confusion.

The cable companies also dropped the ball on this. There were plenty of horror stories from those first few days where people would call the cable company and the rep didn't know the network existied, told them they needed Extra Innings, told them they need the sports tier, etc. Lots of chaos. In some markets, they didn't even have it up yet because equipment wasn't upgraded, someone didn't "flip a switch" at the central office, etc.

So MLB went with the oversell by saying it was the largest launch in history. They weren't straight-up lying but they weren't exactly fully honest either. It was a sales pitch, plain and simple. My annoyance was more with the cable companies seemingly unprepared for the launch of the channel.

Jim Shorts
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
MLB Network is on Comcast in Chicagoland. Go to mlb.com/network, enter your ZIP Code and you should find the channel.

For free?

It's Channel 410 on Comcast. I'll check that when I get home, but I'm nearly certain that I'd need to pay extra.

I'd gladly trade the Big Ten Channel for the MLB Network. Will they do that for me?

Ya think?

doublem23
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
For free?

It's Channel 410 on Comcast. I'll check that when I get home, but I'm nearly certain that I'd need to pay extra.

I'd gladly trade the Big Ten Channel for the MLB Network. Will they do that for me?

Ya think?

It depends on what cable package you have, but I believe if you have anything more than the basic, bare bones cable TV package you should be receiving MLB Network.

DSpivack
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
It depends on what cable package you have, but I believe if you have anything more than the basic, bare bones cable TV package you should be receiving MLB Network.

It depends on your definition of "basic, bare bones cable TV package." I have the 'basic' digital package, they give me Showtime and Starz and NBA TV for free, but no MLB Network.

doublem23
02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
It depends on your definition of "basic, bare bones cable TV package." I have the 'basic' digital package, they give me Showtime and Starz and NBA TV for free, but no MLB Network.

Maybe Comcast offers dramatically different services in different parts of the country? Comcast just came into the Peoria market last year and they still basically offer the exact same service packages and price plans that Insight did before. In fact, my cable has barely changed in the year they've been around and is nothing like what my folks in Chicago have (much less OnDemand, much less HD).

:dunno:

I get MLB Network, though, so I'm happy as a pig in ****.

DSpivack
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe Comcast offers dramatically different services in different parts of the country? Comcast just came into the Peoria market last year and they still basically offer the exact same service packages and price plans that Insight did before. In fact, my cable has barely changed in the year they've been around and is nothing like what my folks in Chicago have (much less OnDemand, much less HD).

:dunno:

I get MLB Network, though, so I'm happy as a pig in ****.

I have no idea why NBA TV just randomly showed up last week. I'm not paying for it.

I asked when MLB Network was launched why I don't get it. After the fourth time calling and finding someone who knew about it, she informed me that since I have the 'Basic Digital' [with OnDemand, HD and all that jazz] and not the 'Digital Classic' tier, that I can not get the network. I pay around $40/month for that package, but 'Digital Classic' would be $72/month. I could've spoken to the retention department to try and get it for a few more dollars a month or something like that, but didn't feel like paying them any more than I already am.

Fenway
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Lip

MLB is building a set at NESN's studios for Mr. Gammons :smile:

Jim Shorts
02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
I have no idea why NBA TV just randomly showed up last week. I'm not paying for it.

I asked when MLB Network was launched why I don't get it. After the fourth time calling and finding someone who knew about it, she informed me that since I have the 'Basic Digital' [with OnDemand, HD and all that jazz] and not the 'Digital Classic' tier, that I can not get the network. I pay around $40/month for that package, but 'Digital Classic' would be $72/month. I could've spoken to the retention department to try and get it for a few more dollars a month or something like that, but didn't feel like paying them any more than I already am.

I have the 'Basic Digital' package and pay for the HBO channels with Comcast and I don't get the MLB.

Like I said, I'll swap the Big11 Network for it straight up.

october23sp
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I know! How great is it to be able to watch a live baseball game in the middle of February?

Agreed I watch it when I come home from school every day. It's awesome.

EuroSox35
02-05-2009, 04:25 AM
inr nailed it, this is much more on Comcast. FWIW, I have the Comcast digital package and get the channel (with no extra sports pack)

What they do varies by region, this is nothing new. Years ago when I used to research HDTV stuff, there was the same debate going on on forums on what 'digital basic' counted as since some people weren't getting their HD channels included.

Customer service is the worst too. They randomly turn some of my channel access off, usually when they're supposed to turn some free preview off (which they always seem to end early or don't turn on all the channels) instead. This past week it was NBATV for me, I've been getting it for years (even though I'm not sure if I'm supposed to), but when the League Pass preview got turned off, they turned that off as well, but left 1 of the League Pass channels on. Contacting them goes nowhere, it must be a dream to work there, because all their responses either pass the buck to another department or are condescending (it must be something on your end, you must be doing something wrong, etc). It gives me a headache just thinking about it, and this is just one of the little of many problems I've had with them