02-03-2009, 09:25 AM
... and he said no.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3880836

Red Barchetta
02-03-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't blame him. $25M doesn't buy you what it did in 2007.....:cool:

Woofer
02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I hope no one ends up signing him, and his money hungry butt sits on his couch all of 2009.

CashMan
02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't blame him. $25M doesn't buy you what it did in 2007.....:cool:

The funny thing is, Manny and Abreu are crying that no one is giving them offers.

SoxandtheCityTee
02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Apparently somone was paying attention when he was in Boston. Manny can't be trusted with a multi-year. Maybe somebody will end up offering him one, but I can understand why the Dodgers didn't.

The tricky part is, can you even trust him with one year, if he's unhappy?

Marqhead
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Apparently somone was paying attention when he was in Boston. Manny can't be trusted with a multi-year. Maybe somebody will end up offering him one, but I can understand why the Dodgers didn't.

The tricky part is, can you even trust him with one year, if he's unhappy?

I don't get why Manny can't be trusted for multiple years. The guy rakes, plain and simple. I would love him here for 3 years, he completely changes a teams lineup.

johnnyg83
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
If I was the Dodgers, I'd sign Dunn and Sheets for about what you would pay Manny in 2009.

Didn't the Dodgers offer him 2-yr $45 million in December?

DSpivack
02-03-2009, 10:30 AM
If I was the Dodgers, I'd sign Dunn and Sheets for about what you would pay Manny in 2009.

Didn't the Dodgers offer him 2-yr $45 million in December?

I wouldn't. Manny is a vastly superior hitter to Dunn, they have pitching, and Sheets is way too much of a question mark.

Trav
02-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I would love to have him DH for the Sox. I would not want them to sign him past 3 years and even that is a gamble... He is an RBI machine.

Rockin Robin
02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Somewhere, Latrell Sprewell is nodding in approval.

And wondering where his yacht went.

salty99
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
If you read ESPN the magazine, Manny is one of the most UNDERRATED players ever.

Nellie_Fox
02-03-2009, 12:08 PM
If you read ESPN the magazine, Manny is one of the most UNDERRATED players ever.What a shock that ESPN would say that. How can anybody call someone as hyped as Manny is "underrated?"

Sign him to long-term deal, and you can count on him quitting on you at some point.

thegooch
02-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I really want the Cards to sign him just to hear the non-stop bitching and hand-wringing north of Madison.

voodoochile
02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
What a shock that ESPN would say that. How can anybody call someone as hyped as Manny is "underrated?"

Sign him to long-term deal, and you can count on him quitting on you at some point.

That's the problem. Manny on a long term deal will only produce if the money is "Manny Money". You sign him for 5 years $85M you might as well flush that money down the toilet, because he's going to pout and whine about being underpaid for 5 years...

Manny wants a 5 year deal at ARod pay anything less you are going to get the attitude as well as the stick...

johnnyg83
02-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't. Manny is a vastly superior hitter to Dunn, they have pitching, and Sheets is way too much of a question mark.

No doubt ... but you get approx. 75% production and a flier on an All-Star pitcher. You might even be able to get Abreau too for around $25 million.

And no headaches.

doublem23
02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
What a shock that ESPN would say that. How can anybody call someone as hyped as Manny "underrated?"

Here's the article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3863472

thomas35forever
02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd love to see Manny at home this season. It'll just prove how selfish he is. Then again, that's what happens when you have Scott Bora$$ as your agent.

johnnyg83
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
they have pitching, and Sheets is way too much of a question mark.

Per mlb.com, they're eyeing Randy Wolf and Braden Looper ... must have some pitching needs ...

NLaloosh
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I still say that he signs with the Dodgers. They NEED him not Dunn. Dunn is not a difference maker. And, Borass is not dumb. No one will offer more to Manny. They'll work it out.

RockyMtnSoxFan
02-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I'd love to see Manny at home this season. It'll just prove how selfish he is. Then again, that's what happens when you have Scott Bora$$ as your agent.

At first I laughed at the thought of a Bora$$ client not finding a team, but then I got to thinking about it. There are a bunch of his guys currently without teams.

Garret Anderson
Joe Crede
Eric Gagne
Andruw Jones (?)
Manny Ramirez
Ivan Rodriguez
Julian Tavarez
Ron Villone

(source: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/scott-boras-cli.html)

Some of those guys aren't going to get much more than a minor league contract or non-roster invitation to camp. Maybe players will start to think twice before taking him as an agent (but I doubt it).

FedEx227
02-03-2009, 01:56 PM
A friend and I were discussing that the other day.

Is this out of the ordinary for THIS many decent to good players to be unsigned at this point in the season?

It's especially funny because about half of them are from one agent who doesn't seem to realize there's a recession going on.

tstrike2000
02-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I don't care for Manny either. As a player though if he ends up playing, it wouldn't be bad seeing him in St. Louis where he and Pujols can take it to the Cubs.

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Manny and Boras over played their hand a bit here I think.

jdm2662
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
You know, whenever Borass doesn't get his way, he cries collusion. What's the over/under of the day he does this??

kevin57
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Both Manny and Bore-a$$ haven't gotten the memo yet on the recession. Yeah, Manny, even you, the GREAT ONE, have to abide by economic realities.

Just shows his narcissism.

Domeshot17
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Manny in September: Gas Prices are up and so am I

Well, Gas prices have plummeted AND SO HAS MANNY!!!!

Red Barchetta
02-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't get why Manny can't be trusted for multiple years. The guy rakes, plain and simple. I would love him here for 3 years, he completely changes a teams lineup.

I think that scenerio would be very similar to the Albert Belle experiment from a few years ago. He might have a great season statistic wise, however it brings the team down.

Marqhead
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
I think that scenerio would be very similar to the Albert Belle experiment from a few years ago. He might have a great season statistic wise, however it brings the team down.

I get the "Manny effect" and I understand team chemistry.

The guy almost single handedly got the Dodgers into the playoffs. He is an amazing player.

Lazy sometimes, yes. Annoying sometimes, yes. But a lazy annoying Manny is still better than 98% of the league. 3 years at his age might seem like a lot, but he has shown no signs on slowing down.

The guy is one of the best in the business at hitting a baseball, he is someone I would want on my team.

DumpJerry
02-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I still say that he signs with the Dodgers. They NEED him not Dunn.
No. The Dodgers NEED Orlando Cabrera. Well, we NEED the Dodgers to need OC......

Jpgr91
02-04-2009, 12:31 AM
The only team that Manny is a fit with is the Dodgers. Say what you want about Bora$$, but he gets the best possible deal for his client. Both sides are just playing for position. Manny is an elite player. Regardless of economic concerns, elite players always will have the leverage, the Dodgers are just trying to marginalize as much of his leverage as possible.

MUsoxfan
02-04-2009, 12:52 AM
The only team that Manny is a fit with is the Dodgers. Say what you want about Bora$$, but he gets the best possible deal for his client. Both sides are just playing for position. Manny is an elite player. Regardless of economic concerns, elite players always will have the leverage, the Dodgers are just trying to marginalize as much of his leverage as possible.

Well he went from 2/$45m to $0. Then up to 1/$25m and then back to $0. Looks like they're turning down best possible deals

Nellie_Fox
02-04-2009, 01:42 AM
The guy almost single handedly got the Dodgers into the playoffs.Thus proving just how much he was dogging it in Boston because he had become unhappy with his contract. Keep Manny on one year contracts and he'll keep producing.

South Side Irish
02-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Thus proving just how much he was dogging it in Boston because he had become unhappy with his contract. Keep Manny on one year contracts and he'll keep producing.

I totally agree. I'd keep him on 2 years, max, as I can see how this circus every offseason can be distracting, too.

Personally, I'd love to see him play for the Cardinals. As greedy as he is, most ballplayers are, an I've given up that idealistic "sign the good guys" trope. Sign me a .330/30/120 guy to put behind Pujols so he doesn't waste his prime years surrounded by Ludwick and Ankiel. :o:

Marqhead
02-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Thus proving just how much he was dogging it in Boston because he had become unhappy with his contract. Keep Manny on one year contracts and he'll keep producing.

If Manny wanted to "dog it" in Chicago to the tune of 22 DB 20 HR 68 RBI .299 AVG in 100 games for me, I'd probably take it.

Bucky F. Dent
02-04-2009, 08:58 AM
If Manny wanted to "dog it" in Chicago to the tune of 22 DB 20 HR 68 RBI .299 AVG in 100 games for me, I'd probably take it.

For 25M, no thanks.

Marqhead
02-04-2009, 09:24 AM
For 25M, no thanks.

I'm not talking about this from the White Sox fiscal perspective. I am not advocating bringing him here, because he would cost too much. I'm saying if the White Sox had a Yanks/Red Sox type payroll, I would want them to shell out the money for him.