PDA

View Full Version : BA on his way out?

thomas35forever
02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Scot Gregor of the Herald speculates that Anderson could be traded seeing as he's third on the depth chart behind Owens and Wise. I can only imagine the toll it would take on WSI's server if this were to happen.
http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1343

kittle42
02-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I'll nominate Lillibridge for next player for the board to be strangely obsessed over.

Konerko05
02-02-2009, 05:17 PM
“If Brian Anderson would have played every day last year, he would have hit about .275 and would have hit 25 home runs,” Williams said. “I don't think you can disagree with that.”

- Ken Williams

This quote is by far the most interesting piece of the article.

JermaineDye05
02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I doubt it, his defense is pretty important to this team.

I'll nominate Lillibridge for next player for the board to be strangely obsessed over.

You're probably right. I already find myself getting excited about watching him in ST. I'm also starting to jump on the Chris Getz bandwagon.

soltrain21
02-02-2009, 05:23 PM
“If Brian Anderson would have played every day last year, he would have hit about .275 and would have hit 25 home runs,” Williams said. “I don't think you can disagree with that.”

- Ken Williams

So he wasn't starting why....?

sox1970
02-02-2009, 05:27 PM

- Ken Williams

If that's true, he should have announced him as the starting CF this weekend.

I think he'll end up staying and it'll be Lillibridge and Getz platooning at 2B, and Owens and Anderson platooning in CF. Lillibridge and Owens will split the leadoff spot.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Wow. KW a FOBA. I hope that shuts up all the rest of the BA sucks crowd. If the great and wise management of the Chicago White Sox, in their infinite ability, speculate that BA is a .275 hitter with 25 HRs a year, and its not up for disagreement, that should end any BA thread rather quickly.

Well, any thread that isn't "why the **** is Ozzie an idiot for not playing BA"

In conclusion, IN KENNY WE TRUST

Daver
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
For the sake of the mod staff here I hope Brian does get traded, it would make our lives somewhat easier.

munchman33
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
What is Kenny supposed to say? If BA played everyday last year, he'd hit .230 with limited power? He's trying to trade the guy.

hi im skot
02-02-2009, 06:09 PM

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd230/bobert_051/NickSwisher.jpg

:shrug:

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
What is Kenny supposed to say? If BA played everyday last year, he'd hit .230 with limited power? He's trying to trade the guy.

If I buy we got a good team here, 90 wins and all, I gotta buy KW's evaluation of talent.

tm1119
02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Wow. KW a FOBA. I hope that shuts up all the rest of the BA sucks crowd. If the great and wise management of the Chicago White Sox, in their infinite ability, speculate that BA is a .275 hitter with 25 HRs a year, and its not up for disagreement, that should end any BA thread rather quickly.

Well, any thread that isn't "why the **** is Ozzie an idiot for not playing BA"

In conclusion, IN KENNY WE TRUST

I seriously hope that you dont believe that. I dont even think Brian Anderson thinks that Brian Anderson could hit that well.

And it would make absolutely no sense to trade him. What are we going to get? A minor league player that will never even make it to AAA? Keep him and let him play late game D and the occasional spot start. Wise is the 1 that needs to go.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
I seriously hope that you dont believe that. I dont even think Brian Anderson thinks that Brian Anderson could hit that well.

And it would make absolutely no sense to trade him. What are we going to get? A minor league player that will never even make it to AAA? Keep him and let him play late game D and the occasional spot start. Wise is the 1 that needs to go.

What? Are you calling KW out? Calling him a liar? After all KW has done for this team???

Its not up for debate. NO ONE could disagree.

If this is some trade "ploy", I'd love to hear whatever conversation with the other GM.

KW : "So I got this guy whos a .275 25 hr hitter, plays plus defense in CF, what can i get?"
Other GM : "I don't see someone else on your roster that can do that, don't you need a CFer?"
KW : "Oh.. yeah, thanks again."

voodoochile
02-02-2009, 06:29 PM

- Ken Williams

You go, KW, build that trade value.

:KW
"Everyone in our farm system is a guaranteed all-star. BA is actually a bad player by our standards. .275 and 25 just won't cut it around here, so we have to cut him loose..."

doublem23
02-02-2009, 06:32 PM

I'd go with Getz or Richard, solely because they're "home grown."

tm1119
02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
What? Are you calling KW out? Calling him a liar? After all KW has done for this team???

Its not up for debate. NO ONE could disagree.

If this is some trade "ploy", I'd love to hear whatever conversation with the other GM.

KW : "So I got this guy whos a .275 25 hr hitter, plays plus defense in CF, what can i get?"
Other GM : "I don't see someone else on your roster that can do that, don't you need a CFer?"
KW : "Oh.. yeah, thanks again."

Ha. Wow. What ever you say man, what ever you say. And KW has just been telling BA to hide these awesome talents he has to unleash for the 2009 season?

Dan Mega
02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Or maybe, just maybe, KW agrees with us dumbass ****ing FOBA and agrees that BA is completely misused.

Sargeant79
02-02-2009, 06:51 PM

Totally agree. If Wise is anything more than a 5th outfielder, that's a grossly incorrect evaluation of talent.

I'd actually be ok with starting the year with Owens and Anderson platooning in CF though...hopefully one could step up at the plate and the other could be a 4th outfielder, a role that Anderson is ideally more suited for due to his defense and ability to play all 3 OF positions well.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-02-2009, 06:55 PM

I agree. Wise and Owens are esentially the same player. We don't need 2 speedy OF's that can't play D.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 06:58 PM
or maybe, just maybe, kw agrees with us dumbass ****ing foba and agrees that ba is completely misused.

potw.

munchman33
02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
If I buy we got a good team here, 90 wins and all, I gotta buy KW's evaluation of talent.

Why do you think that's KW's evaluation of talent? To me, that's media KW. When it comes to player evaluation and trade possibilities, media KW lives in bizarro opposite world.

tm1119
02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Why do you think that's KW's evaluation of talent? To me, that's media KW. When it comes to player evaluation and trade possibilities, media KW lives in bizarro opposite world.

Exactly. KW is a business man before he is anything else. Hes gonna do anything he can to make the best possible business move. And if that means flat out lying to the media then he has no problem doing it.

Taliesinrk
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
This thread is going to continue to spiral downwards. The Haters Of BA (HOBA) are blinded by their hate. There's no point in attempting any rationale discussion. He (the aforementioned BA) has been, and always will be, an average AA/AAA player. I honestly believe there are some that would rather have Alexei out there, and someone in our farm system fill SS, while BA rots in wherever he should be (maybe on the bench at the Urinal - but even riding pine for the cubs may be too much to give him).

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Its hilarious how 99% of what KW says is the ****ing Gospel but this one thing is obviously KW being full of ****.

inconsistency and hypocrisy are the only way the haters can continue to hate BA.

Konerko05
02-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm sure teams are now lining up with top talent because of Williams' quote that only made it to the Daily Herald.

doublem23
02-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Its hilarious how 99% of what KW says is the ****ing Gospel but this one thing is obviously KW being full of ****.

inconsistency and hypocrisy are the only way the haters can continue to hate BA.

Actually, KW has a tendency to lie to the media. Sox Machine had a nice post about it... I can't find it right now, but I'll get it later.

Brian Anderson blows. Thread #1000 on the subject isn't going to change anyone's mind.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Actually, KW has a tendency to lie to the media. Sox Machine had a nice post about it... I can't find it right now, but I'll get it later.

Brian Anderson blows. Thread #1000 on the subject isn't going to change anyone's mind.

I'll trust KW's opinion on baseball related matters over anyone here, thank you.

hi im skot
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I'll trust KW's opinion on baseball related matters over anyone here, thank you.

Especially when he backs your buddy BA.

BadBobbyJenks
02-02-2009, 08:24 PM
In before the bans.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Especially when he backs your buddy BA.

At least, unlike some here, I've accepted that I have to be consistent.

I'm giving KW the benefit of the doubt on:
BA
Marquez
rotation in general
3rd base
2nd base

I'm not pretending to be omniscient, picking and choosing what KW quotes are "for reals" and which are "media lies".

Dan Mega
02-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I haven't seen such a fun thread since The Ranger disagreed with the 2005 crowd :popcorn:

munchman33
02-02-2009, 08:43 PM

Do you even know who I am? I'm Mr. Kenny Williams hate.

Daver
02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Do you even know who I am? I'm Mr. Kenny Williams hate.

AKA a large turd in a small bowl.

oeo
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
One thing: if that's really how Kenny felt, why was Swisher even acquired? You could argue that he didn't think Thome's option would be guaranteed and Swisher was in the plans as the future first baseman, but Anderson was still behind Owens and Quentin on the depth chart.

If he really felt Anderson was that good of an option, why would he back him up even further on the depth chart by acquiring Swisher? Also, I would think Anderson would have been given the starting job a second time by now.

WHILEPITCH
02-02-2009, 08:54 PM
If someone can offer me a pitcher, young in his twenties, who has done something at the lower levels

Who can go either way...

Gimme him for BA. BA is older now and we know what he is. I didnt really see tons of evidence that his swing has ever gotten any more compact.

Meanwhile deals like that are the type that winning organizations need. Some would say it's how we got CQ, to go against that. But BA hasnt really done it like CQ did at minor league level. CQ was a monster.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 08:55 PM
One thing: if that's really how Kenny felt, why was Swisher even acquired? You could argue that he didn't think Thome's option would be guaranteed and Swisher was in the plans as the future first baseman, but Anderson was still behind Owens and Quentin on the depth chart.

If he really felt Anderson was that good of an option, why would he back him up even further on the depth chart by acquiring Swisher? Also, I would think Anderson would have been given the starting job a second time by now.

Perhaps KW feels that way NOW after watching him in 2008, not before last year?

oeo
02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Perhaps KW feels that way NOW after watching him in 2008, not before last year?

What did he do in 2008? Why is he still behind Owens? Don't put all the blame on Ozzie, why is Owens still around?

Taliesinrk
02-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Also, I would think Anderson would have been given the starting job a first time by now.

You're welcome... :D:

Daver
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
What did he do in 2008? Why is he still behind Owens? Don't put all the blame on Ozzie, why is Owens still around?

Because he has one tool that few on the team have?

Granted it is the only tool he has, and he can't use it well, but he does have it.

oeo
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
You're welcome... :D:

This debate has been done before, many times. I'll pass this time around.

WHILEPITCH
02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
With the dearth of leadoff hitters out there, I wonder if the cheap Jerry Owens actually is liked by some teams more than BA.

When they talk about needing to at some point play their younger guys, it's not because it's owed to the players.

It's because you need to develop your talent if you ever want to make deadline moves, or any moves.

champagne030

Our manager is a dip**** with lineup and in-game decisions. :shrug:

oeo
Because he has one tool that few on the team have?

Granted it is the only tool he has, and he can't use it well, but he does have it.

Doesn't make much sense; you can pick up a bad speed guy anywhere.

tm1119
02-02-2009, 09:05 PM

Just forget it man. They'll never let their man crush go. Trying to argue with them is pointless.

Daver
02-02-2009, 09:07 PM

The one they have is signed to a minor league contract though.

FedEx227
02-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Exactly. It's not hard. Look at any teams minor league system and you're bound to find your Norris Hopper or Rajai Davis.

Brian26
02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll put money on BA being the opening day centerfielder.

There were a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle hints this weekend, but the most interesting comments were from DJ during one of the Saturday seminars. DJ's never held back on ripping BA apart, but something has changed. He said BA wasn't ready to be the CF in 2006 (read: he was out partying with McCarthy too much every night), but now he's shown he's mentally prepared.

Lillibridge will lead off as the starting 2B, w/ BA in CF and Getz on the bench.

My opening day lineup:

Lillibridge 2B
Alexei SS
Quentin LF
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
Fields 3B
Anderson CF

Tragg
02-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Williams acquired Swisher because we needed OBP; he also knew that Owens was awful and that Guillen will not play Anderson...remember, in the 2007-8 offseason, Williams was talking up OBP (and Gullen giving it his usual lip-service) after the offensive disaster that was 2007 (thanks in part to Guillen's inability to guage offensive skill - Erstad is a .400 hitter; Owens plays leadoff for 2 months; et l al).
Well, Guillen didn't like Swisher, and loved the awful Wise.....and Williams obviously has budget limitations. So what does he do? He signs Wise and leaves Owens around...no $$$ to do anything else.

Statistically, Anderson is no worse a hitter than Owens or Wise....defensively, Anderson is far superior. The only argument is speed. And yes, it wouldn't surprise me if Guillen wants to bunt and steal bases in front of Thome and Quentin, 2007 be damned.

And of course as reported many times, Guillen had it Owens-Missle-Quentin; and Uribe-Missle. Brilliant talent evaluation, Oz.
Williams needs to control the personnel on this team, and just not put these awful hitters that Guillen loves on the roster. This off-season, Williams seemed to be concerned with the budget more than anything, and there's a risk of repeating 2007.

FedEx227
02-02-2009, 09:33 PM

There were a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle hints this weekend, but the most interesting comments were from DJ during one of the Saturday seminars. DJ's never held back on ripping BA apart, but something has changed. He said BA wasn't ready to be the CF in 2006 (read: he was out partying with McCarthy too much every night), but now he's shown he's mentally prepared.

Lillibridge will lead off as the starting 2B, w/ BA in CF and Getz on the bench.

My opening day lineup:

Lillibridge 2B
Alexei SS
Quentin LF
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
Fields 3B
Anderson CF

Honestly that's my favorite lineup. That's the one I really hope we break camp with it gives us the best bench and a very balanced lineup.

Daver
02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
I'd bat AJ second, he is still the best baserunner on the team.

TheVulture
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I guess this means BA would've hit .330 in those at bats he didn't get.

sox1970
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't like Alexei in the 2-hole. He's more of a run producer. I'd rather he bat 7th and be a little more free to swing away for runs.

vs. righties it'll probably be Owens leading off, and Getz batting 9th
vs. lefties Lillibridge leading off, and Anderson batting 9th.

2-8: Pierzynski, Quentin, Dye, Thome, Konerko, Ramirez, Fields

LoveYourSuit
02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Add another 1st round bust to the list if BA is traded.

Let's just hope Beckham and Poreda will be the guys who breaks this awful trend.

I guess the law of averages is on us:

The Good
1987 Jack McDowell
1988 Robing Ventura
1989 Frank Thomas
1990 Alex Fernandez

1991 to current = Very stinky crap.

Jury still out on Josh Fields.

McCulloch and Broadway ...... not good either.

SoxGirl4Life
02-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't like Alexei batting second. 5th or 6th is perfect for him, IMO.

FedEx227
02-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I meant just those guys. Lineup wise I'd probably go:

Lillibridge 2B
Pierzynski C
Dye RF
Quentin LF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Alexei SS
Fields 3B
Anderson CF

Brian26
02-02-2009, 09:47 PM

I didn't hear Broadway's name mentioned one time this weekend.

Bell didn't have any praise for McCulloch either. Said he has control issues and will have to battle to win a spot at Birmingham.

Bell was really high on this Francisco Hernandez kid....said he might fly through the system and be here before you know it.

Daver
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Add another 1st round bust to the list if BA is traded.

Let's just hope Beckham and Poreda will be the guys who breaks this awful trend.

I guess the law of averages is on us:

The Good
1987 Jack McDowell
1988 Robing Ventura
1989 Frank Thomas
1990 Alex Fernandez

Jury still out on Josh Fields.

Aaron Rowand was a first round pick.

FedEx227
But he's a god.

SoxGirl4Life

Lillibridge 2B
Pierzynski C
Dye RF
Quentin LF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Alexei SS
Fields 3B
Anderson CF

I like this. Of course, with Lillibridge being sight unseen, I could change my mind

Brian26
02-02-2009, 09:50 PM

How soon we forget that big hit Mark Johnson had off Percival in 2000.

FedEx227
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
I like this. Of course, with Lillibridge being sight unseen, I could change my mind

From what I saw of him a few years ago I liked what I saw numbers and scouting wise. However last year from looking at the numbers he had a rough year.

So we'll see, I'm confident he'll be fine though.

sox1970
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM

Lillibridge 2B
Pierzynski C
Dye RF
Quentin LF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Alexei SS
Fields 3B
Anderson CF

I think Q stays in the 3-hole.

FedEx227
02-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Dye to 4th or 5th?

WHILEPITCH
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM

seriously, what the hekkkkk

sox1970
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Dye to 4th or 5th?

3-6: Quentin, Dye, Thome, Konerko

Patrick134
02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
How soon we forget that big hit Mark Johnson had off Percival in 2000.

"Take that, Percival!"

LoveYourSuit
Aaron Rowand was a first round pick.

For some reasone I'm thinking Roward was a Sandwich pick .....

sox1970

He was. 35th pick.

FedEx227
That works for me. As long as we have Dye-Quentin in 3-4 I'm good.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 10:01 PM

seriously, what the hekkkkk

So let me get this right, I'm supposed to believe in your talent evaluation more than the man responsible for putting together the chicago white sox (a world series winner, division winners, ONE losing season)?

okkkkkkkkk

LoveYourSuit
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM

I think the prospect of having a healthy 3-4-5-6-7 with CQ, Dye, Thome, Konerko, and Ramirez ... that group there is as good as any in baseball. For this reason, trading Dye makes no sense to me becaue it takes away from this team's biggest strength which is that.

The 2009 Sox will mash once again and IMO should be favorites to lead MLB in HRs again. Question is, will this type of ball translate to another Division title?

pearso66
02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm an admitted FOBA, but I don't think he's near the .275 25 homers. I think he should play every day, as he's the best bet out of the 3 choices the Sox have. He's not any worse offensively, and way better defensively. Cut one of Owens or Wise, and use the other as a late inning speed threat. Realistically BA is probably a 4th OFer, but on this team, he should be the starting CFer.

SoxGirl4Life
02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
So let me get this right, I'm supposed to believe in your talent evaluation more than the man responsible for putting together the chicago white sox (a world series winner, division winners, ONE losing season)?

okkkkkkkkk

you know, I hope Brian does well. For the Sox sake and for yours. Your passion and defense of him is pretty cool.

Daver
02-02-2009, 10:05 PM

It's still a first round pick.

GrandValleyBB10
02-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Against left handed pitching, I would like to see Ozzie mix it up a little bit. Have Dye DH and bring some more speed into the lineup by putting JO in right or someone else. Dye's mobility in the outfield continues to decline with age, and Thome's ability to hit left handed pitching has severly diminished. Get back to playing a little bit more of Ozzie's small ball baseball style and put some guys in motion and score some runs without playing for the homerun like we have the past two seasons.

FedEx227
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm an admitted FOBA, but I don't think he's near the .275 25 homers. I think he should play every day, as he's the best bet out of the 3 choices the Sox have. He's not any worse offensively, and way better defensively. Cut one of Owens or Wise, and use the other as a late inning speed threat. Realistically BA is probably a 4th OFer, but on this team, he should be the starting CFer.

That's how I am.

I'm a FOBA, on most team I wouldn't want him to start, but he's the tallest midget in this situation. Owens does nothing for me.

LoveYourSuit
02-02-2009, 10:10 PM

The Sox have put themselves behind the 8-ball here because of the fact they don't have anything close to a reliable lead off hitter. I'm sure Ozzie and Kenny believe that with Anderson's defense, he is the best option to play CF but can't afford to put him out there because of the lack of a lead off hitter on this club. So by default, this puts Anderson behind Owens and Wise on depth chart. Not because they are better than him, but because of the need at the top of the order.

Leadoff hitter by commitee, I am not too thrilled with that either. I think we have the best 3-7 in baseball but 1-2 is very up in the air right now.

Daver
02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
That's how I am.

I'm a FOBA, on most team I wouldn't want him to start, but he's the tallest midget in this situation. Owens does nothing for me.

His numbers might be quite different if he faced more right handed pitching.

LoveYourSuit
02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
It's still a first round pick.

I never considered Sandwich picks as 1st Round picks, more like 1.5 (since those picks were not originally assigned to the team). But I will give it to you, just to negate my point.

So there you have it,
"Hall of Fame" Rowand did break our crappy trend.

thomas35forever
02-02-2009, 10:15 PM

My opening day lineup:

Lillibridge 2B
Alexei SS
Quentin LF
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
Fields 3B
Anderson CF
Could happen, but only if he earns it. Ozzie has already said Owens is his leadoff man for Opening Day right now. Then again, I don't think Anderson will start regardless. He only started in '06 because no one else was better. Management obviously has some beef against him.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
His numbers might be quite different if he faced more right handed pitching.

Or had a few games in a row to play. But those are just minor details.

Brian26
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Could happen, but only if he earns it. Ozzie has already said Owens is his leadoff man for Opening Day right now.

Ozzie also said this weekend that the reason he's always looking in the stands during the game is because he gets bored sitting there for four hours, and in spring training he said he's half drunk during B-level games.

In other words, don't put a lot of stock in that.

Tragg
02-02-2009, 10:48 PM
A lot of yall mentioned Lillibridge. I know his O is in question, but is his D solid?

FedEx227
02-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I can't say I've seen enough of his defense to give a good judge. He's had a fair share of errors in the minors, but I can deal with errors as long as he's getting to balls and they aren't boots, but again we'll never know until we see him over the course of the year.

tstrike2000
02-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Ok, slow, slower, slowest.

voodoochile
02-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Ok, slow, slower, slowest.

Always the first thing that comes to mind when I think about a teams 3-6 hitters...

guillen4life13
02-02-2009, 11:49 PM
I hope Brian can get the job and really start to establish himself as a worthwhile every day player. I want to see how much he's matured and I would like at least one OF to be an above average defender. CF would be ideal.

My prediction: By the beginning of May, Brian Anderson will be getting most starts in CF.

voodoochile
02-03-2009, 12:00 AM
I hope Brian can get the job and really start to establish himself as a worthwhile every day player. I want to see how much he's matured and I would like at least one OF to be an above average defender. CF would be ideal.

My prediction: By the beginning of May, Brian Anderson will be getting most starts in CF.

I hope KW is prophetic and that BA turns into a solid above average player. Heck with his glove if he could put up those offensive numbers, he'd be one of the elite CF in baseball. I'd love to see it happen...

Frater Perdurabo
02-03-2009, 06:01 AM
I hope KW is prophetic and that BA turns into a solid above average player. Heck with his glove if he could put up those offensive numbers, he'd be one of the elite CF in baseball. I'd love to see it happen...

I think .250 with 25 homers and 35 doubles is completely reasonable over a full season.

veeter
02-03-2009, 07:53 AM
I think the Sox are still going to pick someone up. I don't know who, but someone. Owens may never make it out of spring training, because of his groin. I like Brian, but he's a fourth outfielder. JR and Kenny are clearly looking to 2010, but know they can't afford another '07. So again, I think a move or two is yet to be made.

Madscout
02-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Could happen, but only if he earns it. Ozzie has already said Owens is his leadoff man for Opening Day right now. Then again, I don't think Anderson will start regardless. He only started in '06 because no one else was better. Management obviously has some beef against him.
Define "earn it". I have seen him rip the cover off the ball in spring training, and not get a second look when our CF struggles.

Anderson has be perfect to get this job, and if he isn't than Jerry Owens will be in CF, unless his groin says otherwise, and it will be Wise. Accept that, even if you think he is our best option, and you will save yourself a lot of time.

thedudeabides
02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
It's funny that nobody has mentioned that this is pure speculation from Gregor. But, I wouldn't expect any rationality in a BA thread. :D:

NLaloosh
02-03-2009, 10:41 AM
"If Brian Anderson played everyday he'd be an All-Star! But, there's no way that he's beating out Jerry Owens."

kittle42
02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
So much WSI hyperbole in one thread!

BA is awesome.
BA sucks.
KW is infallible.
KW is a terrible judge of talent.
Ozzie wastes talent.
The middle of the lineup are basecloggers.

This thread should be sticky-ed at the top of WTS! :D:

Something I just noticed looking back at this list of oft-made arguments - the only one which really has almost zero evidence to support it is "BA is awesome."

FarmerAndy
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
It's funny that nobody has mentioned that this is pure speculation from Gregor. But, I wouldn't expect any rationality in a BA thread. :D:

I was just about to. I started reading this thread, made it to about page 3, then jumped to the end.

I'm entertained every time some hack newspaper writer just prints some random thought, not based on any actual reports, and then everybody jumps on it like it has any merit whatsoever.

Brian Anderson is not the second coming of Christ. And Brian Anderson does not totally suck. Brian Anderson is a fine 4th outfielder who can provide great late-inning defense and decent base-running. I don't believe Anderson has any trade value, so I don't see any point in trading him just to trade him. But hey, it's not up to me.

Randar68
02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Scot Gregor of the Herald speculates that Anderson could be traded seeing as he's third on the depth chart behind Owens and Wise. I can only imagine the toll it would take on WSI's server if this were to happen.
http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1343

How on Earth does this guy figure that Anderson is 3rd on the depth chart after playing last year ahead of Owens.

Wise is a journeyman and Owens hasn't shown either plus defense or hitting ability at this level. How that makes Anderson 3rd on the depth chart? You got me there...

kittle42
02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Brian Anderson is not the second coming of Christ. And Brian Anderson does not totally suck. Brian Anderson is a fine 4th outfielder who can provide great late-inning defense and decent base-running. I don't believe Anderson has any trade value, so I don't see any point in trading him just to trade him. But hey, it's not up to me.

I've tried to take this position before. No one seems to care for it, though it is very, very reasonable.

NLaloosh
02-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't think Anderson is great. He may not even be league average but how in the world he could be considered behind Jerry Owens just blows my mind, man.

I don't have any man love for BA but I guess I just have a putrid disgust for Owens. I'm going to throw a party when he leaves the organization - and I'm serious.

FarmerAndy
02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I've tried to take this position before. No one seems to care for it, though it is very, very reasonable.

It's funny, isn't it? It's like you are only allowed to love Brian Anderson or hate him. He has to be an everyday CF, or he has to be taken out behind the barn and shot.

A team needs bench players, and I feel Anderson makes a fine bench player. I don't know why you can't pick the 3rd option. Why does one have to be a lover or hater of BA around here?

FedEx227
02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
How on Earth does this guy figure that Anderson is 3rd on the depth chart after playing last year ahead of Owens.

Wise is a journeyman and Owens hasn't shown either plus defense or hitting ability at this level. How that makes Anderson 3rd on the depth chart? You got me there...

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/columnists/jimbaumbach/blog/ozzieg.jpg

kittle42
02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
It's funny, isn't it? It's like you are only allowed to love Brian Anderson or hate him. He has to be an everyday CF, or he has to be taken out behind the barn and shot.

A team needs bench players, and I feel Anderson makes a fine bench player. I don't know why you can't pick the 3rd option. Why does one have to be a lover or hater of BA around here?

Well said.

FedEx227
02-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Most sane people are not arguing that he's a great player, he's not. I'm a fan of his, but he's not a very good player.

However given the situation the Sox are currently in, he is far and away the best option.

WHILEPITCH
02-03-2009, 12:45 PM

okkkkkkkkk

He's the talent evaluator but he's also the man entrusted with the selling the team to you at the convention.

Apparently he's done that second half of his job well!

Again, though, I dont hate KW for his 'BA wouldve hit .275' comment, i think it's trying to get his guy's name out there so any little piece of trade value might grow. doesnt stop me from looking at his comment as completely having no shred of proof behind it.

FedEx227
02-03-2009, 12:50 PM

okkkkkkkkk

That's a pretty stupid way to look at things, because to the best of my knowledge exactly 0% of the posters here and about .0005% of the world has ever been general manager of a major league baseball team so it's a very small margin of people that have ever even had the chance.

No, I'm not saying that any of us know any more than him, but to immediately use the "Well you never ran a World Series" is idiotic and worthless to the argument.

Lefty34
02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
That's a pretty stupid way to look at things, because to the best of my knowledge exactly 0% of the posters here and about .0005% of the world has ever been general manager of a major league baseball team so it's a very small margin of people that have ever even had the chance.

No, I'm not saying that any of us know any more than him, but to immediately use the "Well you never ran a World Series" is idiotic and worthless to the argument.

I think what he meant was that it is KW's job as the GM of the Chicago White Sox, to have the best evaluation of a player's talent as is possible. At least, that's how I see it. It can best be described as "the White Sox (and thus, their GM) are in the business of knowing what kind of talent they have on their roster, and how to field the best team possible". It's a solid argument in a vacuum, but put however much stock in it as you want in RL.

It's Dankerific
02-03-2009, 01:26 PM

I was just about to. I started reading this thread, made it to about page 3, then jumped to the end.

I'm entertained every time some hack newspaper writer just prints some random thought, not based on any actual reports, and then everybody jumps on it like it has any merit whatsoever.

You guys do know what a quote is, right? its when a written article attributes the exact words a person says. KW said that about Brian, not the writer. You may want to work on your own reading before calling out others ability to be rational.

See, this is a perfect example to help the people above. I never said that, and attributing to me using quotes is worthless. I'm not saying you don't have some fine talent evaluating ability. I'm saying, that If I am going to pick between you and KW, I'm going to go with KW, because even if you had the same ability as a World Champion GM, you DO NOT have the same information he does.

I think what he meant was that it is KW's job as the GM of the Chicago White Sox, to have the best evaluation of a player's talent as is possible. At least, that's how I see it. It can best be described as "the White Sox (and thus, their GM) are in the business of knowing what kind of talent they have on their roster, and how to field the best team possible". It's a solid argument in a vacuum, but put however much stock in it as you want in RL.

Lefty kind of gets it. I don't know if KW is best in the world of GMs, But I do trust his access to information + past history of good evaluation over that of a casual fan.

The fact that KW has gone to bat for BA more than once, makes me trust him even more.

kittle42
02-03-2009, 01:47 PM
At least scotty's obsession with Toby Hall was fun.

Johnny Mostil
02-03-2009, 01:51 PM
:tomatoaward:

BA=Tomatoman?

soxinem1
02-03-2009, 02:06 PM
:tomatoaward:

BA=Tomatoman?

I beleive most of the BA threads have hit the 100 barrier.

FarmerAndy
02-03-2009, 02:21 PM
You guys do know what a quote is, right? its when a written article attributes the exact words a person says. KW said that about Brian, not the writer. You may want to work on your own reading before calling out others ability to be rational.

I know what a quote is, and I can read just fine. Still, the article IS pure speculation. At the end there is a quote from Kenny, after more speculation of what the quote might mean.

Then a multiple page thread titled "BA on his way out?" based on an article like this is..... well, sorta silly.

Nellie_Fox
02-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I beleive most of the BA threads have hit the 100 barrier.You could just name a thread "BA," not put anything but his picture in the first post, and you'd get several hundred replies.

esbrechtel
02-03-2009, 02:38 PM
What is the name of the award for the player that generates the most tomato awards? If there isn't one can we make it the BA award?

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2009, 02:41 PM
You could just name a thread "BA," not put anything but his picture in the first post, and you'd get several hundred replies.
ooohhh, I'm soooo tempted to try that...

But I won't.

voodoochile
02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
I think .250 with 25 homers and 35 doubles is completely reasonable over a full season.

Maybe. I don't know. Now that he's proven he has the mental makeup to be part of a MLB team, perhaps he'll get more chances. It's up to BA at this point in time. If he wants to be a starter at this level, he has to prove he deserves it. In the PT he's gotten, he hasn't done so.

Not saying it's impossible, but definitely improbable. Still, I'd love nothing more than for BA to prove me wrong.

It's Dankerific
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
KW says no one could disagree with about .275 and 25 HRs.

Maybe. I don't know. Now that he's proven he has the mental makeup to be part of a MLB team, perhaps he'll get more chances. It's up to BA at this point in time. If he wants to be a starter at this level, he has to prove he deserves it. In the PT he's gotten, he hasn't done so.

Not saying it's impossible, but definitely improbable. Still, I'd love nothing more than for BA to prove me wrong.

thomas35forever
02-03-2009, 05:35 PM
You could just name a thread "BA," not put anything but his picture in the first post, and you'd get several hundred replies.
Someone could try that, but I think one of you mods would just send that thread to the Roadhouse for wasting bandwidth.

JB98
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM

I disagree. The 25 HRs, I can see. The .275? LOL.

kittle42
02-03-2009, 07:09 PM

When did KW become the Pope?

FedEx227
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Kittle, you haven't won a World Series as a general manager of an American League baseball team so stop discussing anything.

It's Dankerific
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I disagree. The 25 HRs, I can see. The .275? LOL.

There are many threads on the infallibility of KW. The Search tool is your friend.

all*star quentin
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Then why was he eating off of Dotels' feet:puking:

WHILEPITCH
02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I think there's a difference between trusting KW's moves and trusting the quotes he says at fan conventions.

The fan convention quotes mean nothing. They can be to shake the media, get talk up for a trade, please an agent, any NUMBER of things.

What I judge KW on is the moves he makes. the ".275" quote and anything like it can be pure garbage w/ no backing. Well this case obviously is, even just mathematically.

Daver
02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I think there's a difference between trusting KW's moves and trusting the quotes he says at fan conventions.

The fan convention quotes mean nothing. They can be to shake the media, get talk up for a trade, please an agent, any NUMBER of things.

What I judge KW on is the moves he makes. the ".275" quote and anything like it can be pure garbage w/ no backing. Well this case obviously is, even just mathematically.

Numbers can be spun to tell any story you want, average at bats against right handed pitching and then project it over an entire season, if that doesn't work to make your point narrow down your parameters and repeat. Some call it detailed stats, I prefer to call it fun with numbers, the MLB version.

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Kittle, you haven't won a World Series as a general manager of an American League baseball team so stop discussing anything.
Yea, but neither has the Pope!